Our GK issue

Govanfrnt

McGregor has had 14 shots on target at his goal so far this season and has let in 9 of them

McLaughlin has had 3 shots on his goal and has conceded 2.

Our no 1 is a legend but the fact is he has let in 64% of the shots against him and has shown other ropey moments such as handling outside his box and poor distribution

Our 2nd choice although a bit younger has let in 66% of shots that have came at and also could have been sent off for mistiming a run and wiping out a st johnstone player

Mccrorrie has been involved in 3 games this season inc one preseason, 1 away from home in europe and the old firm. He impressed in each of them and kept a clean sheet

I think we need to consider giving the lad a chance. At least play him in the cup and see how he goes

I’m one for stats, but they numbers are meaningless without the context of the goals.

For what it’s worth, I do think McGregor has looked a bit shakier this season but he’s still the best keeper in the country - and JM the second best.

Hopefully Robby becomes our number 1 within the next 2/3 years.

McGregor has had 14 shots on target at his goal so far this season and has let in 9 of them

McLaughlin has had 3 shots on his goal and has conceded 2.

Our no 1 is a legend but the fact is he has let in 64% of the shots against him and has shown other ropey moments such as handling outside his box and poor distribution

Our 2nd choice although a bit younger has let in 66% of shots that have came at and also could have been sent off for mistiming a run and wiping out a st johnstone player

Mccrorrie has been involved in 3 games this season inc one preseason, 1 away from home in europe and the old firm. He impressed in each of them and kept a clean sheet

I think we need to consider giving the lad a chance. At least play him in the cup and see how he goes
A goalie is a last resort. More often than not a goal can be tracked back to the defence not being organised which i think was the case today

The chances against McGregor this year have frequently favoured the attacker. It's not like he is concedeing worldies from outside the box, Lyon aside.

We have the best goal keeper in the league, followed by the 2nd best goal keeper in the league and McCrorie would then also start for the majority of the other teams in our league.

This thread is peak ridiculous

we're going to need to be ruthless with both mcgregor and davis this year. continuing with them is a risk worth taking, but we can't be sentimental.

there were multiple points today when it was clear no-one was communicating with each other back there, which is a worry.

McGregor is pushing 40, this needs to be his last season as first choice and that means he will play considerably less games this season.

JM should play far more
I’m not saying he’s ten years left in him , but there’s no reason this should be his last unless standards drop which to date they haven’t .

OP wants McGregor dropped for McCrorie.

That's enough Internet for me today.
The same comments would have been getting made when McGregor clinched no 1 spot from the top keepers we had in the early noughties. Shagger is 40 this year and he had a disrupted preseason. We need to start looking at the next chapter for that position

Mcgregor has loads of faults that fans happily gloss over, the slowness off his line being a major one
When did this major issue happen? Was it since him winning Scottish Premiership player of the year after an entire league campaign unbeaten and a last 16 finish in Europe for a 2md consecutive season with him as our no. 1?

I'm not blaming today on him at all. I'm looking at the full season up to this point and trying to determine why we're conceding so many
McGregor has conceded 9 goals this season.

4 to Malmo.
2 to Lyon.
2 to Ross County.
1 to Motherwell.

Of those 9 goals, which ones were goalkeeping errors that were to blame?

We have two top keepers and a great back up in McCrorie so I really don't feel there is an issue there. The defence however has been shaky by last seasons performances and offered little protection to the keepers at times in games. I think there may be an issue there that need addressed though injuries etc havent helped.

You need as settled a defence as possible, there’s far too much chopping and changing. Unless enforced due to injury or horrendous form the back 4 + keeper should remain the same for the vast majority of games, exceptions possibly being in the cups.

McGregor is not immune to criticism, but wasn’t at fault for the goal. I thought his distribution was very good today when we were searching for a winner, unfortunately those in front of him couldn’t do anything with the ball.

I'm not blaming today on him at all. I'm looking at the full season up to this point and trying to determine why we're conceding so many
Were conceding because our defence has been piss
McLaughlin couldn't is not anywhere near as good imo

This is getting mental. :))
Hows that exactly or is that your contribution done? I could include the 3 preseason goals in 4/5 shots as well? I want him to prove me wrong but if mccrorrie cant get a bit of extra game time with a near 40 year.old and off form 34 yo in front of him then what hope have we got for him?

Ok then, it's what's happening in front of McGregor that's making us looking like conceding goals.

Part of the problem is we want to play possession football building from the back. McGregor is an old school goalkeeper he is extremely poor with the ball at his feet.

We can’t pass it back to him and retain possession, did their goal from today not come straight after Davis passed it back to him and he put it out of play for a throw in.

Those stats perfectly encapsulate why I hate the way the modern football fan is going in terms of this Americanised pish in reading games and scenarios from numbers on spreadsheets rather than with their own eyes. People are stat obsessed now but they can be very misleading for different reasons.

Part of the problem is we want to play possession football building from the back. McGregor is an old school goalkeeper he is extremely poor with the ball at his feet.

We can’t pass it back to him and retain possession, did their goal from today not come straight after Davis passed it back to him and he put it out of play for a throw in.
I could be talking mince as not watched the game back, but I don't think their goal started with a throw in.

Those stats perfectly encapsulate why I hate the way the modern football fan is going in terms of this Americanised pish is reading games and scenarios from numbers on spreadsheets rather than with their own eyes. People are stat obsessed now but they can be very misleading for different reasons.
I couldn't agree more.

Using the numbers in the OP to conclude our keeper is off form and to blame for goals conceded is just plain wrong.

List the goals that were his fault, and let's see who agrees.

Back