Our GK issue

I hate to say it but McGregor has been nowhere near his best this season.
He's been beaten by shots that you'd really have expected him to save in days gone by.
I'm not saying he's finished but he's certainly off form!

It's sadly looking like he's done.

Hearts aside, I'm not sure any of the goals he's conceded are blatantly his fault, but what made Mcgregor a rangers number 1 and a club legend was making difficult saves that you wouldn't always expect him to make.

Virtually every shot we face now is going in and that's on the keeper as much as the defence for gifting opportunities. It's also exacerbating Mcgregors weaker points such as dealing with crosses and with ball at feet.

There's no time for sentimentality in a vital season.

Just said on another thread and I’ve said it on this one a few times he’s absolutely done, physically cant get down to shots anymore cant command his area and I’d awful with the ball at his feet

big clubs shouldn’t pick on sentimentality but it’s the only reason he’s in there

It’s not just mcgregors inability to come for crosses or save any shot hit at him nowadays what really annoys me is the first time punt making it a 50/50 instead of just recycling the possession I get you can’t always play out but it just gives jobber teams a chance to regain possession easily

Talented players get a bit more support from me.

I've no time for players who continue to constantly let us down - like Tav does.

McGregor hasn't been great this season but he's got enough credit in the bank to see out this season, his last season, as number one.

and yes, It's a hatred of Tav. I hate players who consistently cost us goals, games/points.
You are a fucking idiot.

I'll take the ban. There's no other word for you.

McGregor is done. Sad, but happens to every player. His feet are not fast enough to enable his best asset-shot stopping to work

I also like a keeper that dominates his 6 yard box. Greegs has never done this and the fact we have centre backs that cant win simple high balls makes the effect of this much worse

McLaughlin for the rest of the season

100% this....

Where's he been up to this point? I'd be delighted if he kicked on from here. I'd be over the moon to be proved wrong about the stage he's at in his career but up until thurs he had been very poor and to suggest otherwise wouldve been wrong

For the first time all season he was marshaling his defence, for thr first time all season he made more than 3 saves in a game and the for the first time all season he had 1 shot or more on his goal and kept a clean sheet.

Allan Mcgregor is a legend but that doesn't mean he didn't deserve criticism but for what its worth I hope he's absolutely outstanding from here on

Last edited:
Gutted that I'm back at this point where I'd sooner see mcgregor take a backseat again but the facts are he started the season slowly and was at one point letting in over 60% of the shots on his goal. He finally got up to speed under Gio but since coming back from his winter break, he appear to have returned to his previously poor form.

9 shots on his goals since the restart 4 goals not to mention his close call with Hedges which could have seen a penalty against us and a red card

He's 40 in a matter of days and his slow start to both periods could be one of two things. He's older, slower and less mobile or his fires gone out and He's struggling to motivate himself.

For me 2 out of the 3 Goals today were down to a lack of desire. Mcgregor of last year throws kamara out the way and lands on top of that ball for the third. His head is up his arse and his replacement has to come in this window.

We cannot afford to give him another month of mistakes before he finds his form again.

I’m one for stats, but they numbers are meaningless without the context of the goals.

For what it’s worth, I do think McGregor has looked a bit shakier this season but he’s still the best keeper in the country - and JM the second best.

Hopefully Robby becomes our number 1 within the next 2/3 years.
McGregor is nowhere near being the best keeper in the country this year. He’s made more mistakes this season than he’s probably made in this entire Rangers career.

IMO Gordon and Hart have had a better season than McGregor.

Can’t think of too many genuine top class saves that McGregor has made this season tbh
The problem with McGregor being criticised is he can pull of some pretty crazy saves which can often paint over the cracks.

For example people will still talk about his save against Prague earlier this season but ignore the many mistakes he’s sadly made. Love the big man but he’s costing us points at this stage and McLaughlin seems to be much more assured when he plays.

McGregor has now become inconsistent, its a shame but getting old happens to us all. Its time we moved on, McLaughlin isnt going to settle into the role of being Rangers no1 unless he is playing games and its a big role to fill so he needs minutes. Even if greegsy stays in goals from now on and pulls of some worldies we still need to move on i think, hes making mistakes he would never make and for me the writing in on the wall and its minutes i would rather John got as it looks like he may be our keeper from next season at the least.

Edit: didn't notice date of posts

What is with the "I told you so" style bump?
You think I care about telling people I'll never meet I told you so? I reposted it because it covers the season up to now. The issues that were discussed 4months ago are now being discussed again

The problem with McGregor being criticised is he can pull of some pretty crazy saves which can often paint over the cracks.

For example people will still talk about his save against Prague earlier this season but ignore the many mistakes he’s sadly made. Love the big man but he’s costing us points at this stage and McLaughlin seems to be much more assured when he plays.
Thing is the saves against Prague wouldn’t have been needed if he came off his line for the original floated cross into his 6 yard box

I dont think the 3rd goal happens if he hadn't made the mistake for the 1st, if that makes sense. He lost his confidence and for some reason only he can answer, he didn't use his hands for that one at the end. Baffling. That result is on him today, you can't have your keeper doing that twice in an away game and expect to win.

Rate Macgregor highly he has been a brilliant keeper for us but my heart is in my mouth everytime a corner or cross is swung into our 6 yard box. I would be perfectly comfortable with Mclauchlin in goal on wed he has never let us down yet, more commanding and better with the ball at his feet.

Said it even last season his time has passed, he has now been responsible for at least 4 points and a cup semi defeat this season

Just said on another thread and I’ve said it on this one a few times he’s absolutely done, physically cant get down to shots anymore cant command his area and I’d awful with the ball at his feet

big clubs shouldn’t pick on sentimentality but it’s the only reason he’s in there
To be fair he was outstanding last season, that's why he's there. I can't fathom what was going through his head at the two mistakes today. The first one was just a total flap at the ball but the second was just weird, it was his ball to take and he totally failed to do anything.

Sorry to say the time has come. I don't want a hero and a legend to be remembered as the guy who cost us the league this year.

His inability to take contact from opposing players has always been a problem, ( nearly cost us late on Wednesday as well.) but he has always covered for it with his lightning reactions.

Those reactions are getting slower as time passes. Sadly.

its a tough one, mcgregor can pull world class saves that mclauchlin could only dream of

on the other hands he was the worst i ever seen him today

its a tough one, mcgregor can pull world class saves that mclauchlin could only dream of

on the other hands he was the worst i ever seen him today
As a massive McGregor fan it really isn’t a tough one at all. McLaughlin must be installed as our number 1 after today. Otherwise we watch one of our greatest ever goalkeepers throw away point after point and diminish in front of our eyes.

It would be unfair on him and the club not to make the change.

Today was an out of character performance from Shagger. He cost us badly today but has saved us on so many occasions before.

But what was done last season, 2 seasons, 10 seasons ago means f*ck all. Football is never and will never be about holding on to what was achieved in the past. We need to sort a long term replacement ASAP.

Today was a one off, but he's 40 next week and for me this should be his last season.

Today was an out of character performance from Shagger. He cost us badly today but has saved us on so many occasions before.

But what was done last season, 2 seasons, 10 seasons ago means f*ck all. Football is never and will never be about holding on to what was achieved in the past. We need to sort a long term replacement ASAP.

Today was a one off, but he's 40 next week and for me this should be his last season.
Today wasn’t a one off.

He’s been culpable in at least 6/7/8 goals this season.

He’s 40 on Monday and it’s showing unfortunately, livi were floating balls into our 6 yard box on Wednesday, literally 2 yards from our goal, he was stuck on his line, and I get the fact that wasn’t a big part of his goalkeeping abilities throughout his career… we need a goalie that can command his box

Prior to Ross County and Hearts in October last minute I can’t really think of a goal where I can genuinely say it was McGregor’s fault.

The fact of the matter is, we carried a passenger with Itten up front. God knows how he was able to get a start after his midweek performance. We’ve been making do with a left back as a centre half since Gio’s came in and it’s cost us today.

Looking specifically at the county game, the second goal doesn’t happen if Bassey doesn’t fresh air swipe.

Their third goal doesn’t happen if Kamara doesn’t give the ball away in the build up to the corner.

Gio isn’t faultless in all this either. Aberdeen at and County away, he’s tried to shut up shop and see the game out with the introduction of Lundstram. This is just inviting pressure on and we should be backing ourselves, particularly at the likes of Ross County to be able to dominate and get a 4th, rather than protect a slender 3-2 lead.

Sorry to say but 'Shaggers' time is up,i hope he retires with some dignity.

A Rangers legend and hopefully he doesn't spoil it and retire gracefully he's cost us several points this season and it's obvious his time has came and went.

It's time for him to move over.

Today wasn’t a one off.

He’s been culpable in at least 6/7/8 goals this season.
Agree mate, the stat in the OP says it all but I mean in terms of two absolutely f*cking horrendous mistakes that would make a school boy look like a prize pr*ck!

He's never done that before what we saw today!

Has Barkas ever made the type of error McGregor did against Hearts or yesterday at Ross County?

The teams we face often have their best chances from set pieces and that's McGregor's weakest part of his game. Needs replaced pronto.

What the majority on here see is a handful of world class saves every season. Every keeper is capable of that.

What they don’t see is that we concede a higher % goals per shots than virtually every other team in the league.

Yesterday Ross County 3 goals from 4 on target, us 3 from 12 on target. We are not facing Ronaldo or Salah week in week out. Other keepers are making the bread and butter saves you expect them too, and more of them.

In Scottish football you need a goalkeeper who can command his box. Not send panic through the entire stadium when the opposition get a corner.

Hard fo say anything against the goalie, he’s a total legend. Clearly had a bad day at the office and mentally wasn’t quite on it. Only he will know what to do next.

Hard fo say anything against the goalie, he’s a total legend. Clearly had a bad day at the office and mentally wasn’t quite on it. Only he will know what to do next.

Not the first time this season. That's the issue.

Back