Our GK issue

McGregor has had 14 shots on target at his goal so far this season and has let in 9 of them

McLaughlin has had 3 shots on his goal and has conceded 2.

Our no 1 is a legend but the fact is he has let in 64% of the shots against him and has shown other ropey moments such as handling outside his box and poor distribution

Our 2nd choice although a bit younger has let in 66% of shots that have came at and also could have been sent off for mistiming a run and wiping out a st johnstone player

Mccrorrie has been involved in 3 games this season inc one preseason, 1 away from home in europe and the old firm. He impressed in each of them and kept a clean sheet

I think we need to consider giving the lad a chance. At least play him in the cup and see how he goes

The reason the % of goals conceded vs shots on target is so high for BOTH our 1st team goal keepers is because when our defence f*ck up and gift an opportunity to the opposition it’s almost inevitably an extremely clear cut one.

Today was the perfect example. Gifted Motherwell the chance for their goal and there’s nothing McGregor could’ve done about it. We also gifted them a couple of opportunities in the first half. A decent team (Lyon?) would’ve scored 2 in the first half against us today and there’s nothing McGregor could’ve done about it.

OP wants McGregor dropped for McCrorie.

That's enough Internet for me today.
I don't think there is anything wrong in what he said, McGregor doesn't look anywhere near the same level as last season.

McCrorie deserved to keep his place after 2 very commanding performances.

Obviously McGregor isn't to blame for all the goals we conceded but he isn't anywhere near the level he has to be at.

A goalie is a last resort. More often than not a goal can be tracked back to the defence not being organised which i think was the case today
100% today. We gave possession away too.easily moments before with Davis pass back leading to mcgregors wayward kick out for a throw
If only McGregor had taken some of those chances in the first half….
Not sure what you're getting at. I'm referring to goals being conceded

When did this major issue happen? Was it since him winning Scottish Premiership player of the year after an entire league campaign unbeaten and a last 16 finish in Europe for a 2md consecutive season with him as our no. 1?
No your right he’s perfect let’s get a 10 year extension over to him right away

like another poster said time is catching up with him nothing wrong with acknowledging it

McGregor has had 14 shots on target at his goal so far this season and has let in 9 of them

Our no 1 is a legend but the fact is he has let in 64% of the shots against him and has shown other ropey moments such as handling outside his box and poor distribution

Our 2nd choice although a bit younger has let in 66% of shots that have came at and also could have been sent off for mistiming a run and wiping out a st johnstone player

Mccrorrie has been involved in 3 games this season inc one preseason, 1 away from home in europe and the old firm. He impressed in each of them and kept a clean sheet

I think we need to consider giving the lad a chance. At least play him in the cup and see how he goes
We haven’t had a settled defence in front of him, 2nd goal against Lyon he had 2 brilliant saves and it ended up an og.So no blame there.First goal against Lyon was a tremendous finish, no blame there.

I could be talking mince as not watched the game back, but I don't think their goal started with a throw in.

There was a couple of minutes where we made the wrong decisions. Davis (from recollection) played a ball back to him that was a bit heavy. I said at the time he should have out his laces though it but didn’t. The ball ended up going out of play and they scored shortly after.

I’ve not watched it back to be honest so that may be sketchy.

My point on AM is that he is reaching the end of his career, Gerrard needs to look at whats next

The point might actually be a good one but it's hard to tell when the back four constantly slip about, bump into eachother and miss-kick basic balls.

Very hard to compare his performances when in front of him the defence has been rank

There was a couple of minutes where we made the wrong decisions. Davis (from recollection) played a ball back to him that was a bit heavy. I said at the time he should have out his laces though it but didn’t. The ball ended up going out of play and they scored shortly after.

I’ve not watched it back to be honest so that may be sketchy.

My point on AM is that he is reaching the end of his career, Gerrard needs to look at whats next
My memory is a ball was played down our right, their player got it on the touchline, cut inside and played in their forward. Simpson let him past, Goldson tackled him as McGregor came out, the ball ran loose and their player got to it before Barisic to hit it into an open goal.

Nothing to do with clearances or throw ins.

How many of the 9 goals conceded have been McGregor's fault?

His positioning, reaction for both Malmö goals at Ibrox was suspect.

Lyon’s first goal was quality, however last season I suspect McGregor gets that.

Ross County’s first goal and penalty came from shots parried straight back in to play by McGregor, Lyon’s second goal came from a shot parried back in to play. It’s that rub of the green last season all of them are put out of danger.

We will always have the debate over where he should be, but how many goals this season have came from the right back area ? Today’s was a classic, the guy should never had the time to get the ball in to the box, look at the other goals we have conceded because Tav wasn’t in a right back position, but if he is there he isn’t cracking in crackers like St Johnstone last week.

His positioning, reaction for both Malmö goals at Ibrox was suspect.

Lyon’s first goal was quality, however last season I suspect McGregor gets that.

Ross County’s first goal and penalty came from shots parried straight back in to play by McGregor, Lyon’s second goal came from a shot parried back in to play. It’s that rub of the green last season all of them are put out of danger.

We will always have the debate over where he should be, but how many goals this season have came from the right back area ? Today’s was a classic, the guy should never had the time to get the ball in to the box, look at the other goals we have conceded because Tav wasn’t in a right back position, but if he is there he isn’t cracking in crackers like St Johnstone last week.
Are you saying he should have prevented 5 of them? o_O

And which of these goals should McGregor have saved?

He also made a huge save at 0-0 today and we scored straight after it.

People just make up players to blame for no other reason than wanting to be that bit edgier and different.

No your right he’s perfect let’s get a 10 year extension over to him right away

like another poster said time is catching up with him nothing wrong with acknowledging it
Nobody is saying to give him a 10 year extension, hence why he only signed a single year. You said though it's a major issue, I'm asking when this major issue started as he was out no. 1 last season when we had an unbeaten league season?

His kicking is awful
Always has been. He’d have had an even better career, if he could kick (I actually think he’s improved his kicking as he’s got older; I suppose that shows how bad it was).

Some of the elite players have zero/little faults.

You just have to accept AM’s kicking. Even when he fuucks it up. He makes up for it, elsewhere.

The reason the % of goals conceded vs shots on target is so high for BOTH our 1st team goal keepers is because when our defence f*ck up and gift an opportunity to the opposition it’s almost inevitably and extremely clear cut one.

Today was the perfect example. Gifted Motherwell the chance for their goal and there’s no chance for McGregor. We also gifted them a couple of opportunities in the first half. A decent team (Lyon?) would’ve scored 2 in the first half against us today and there’s nothing McGregor could’ve done about it.
I agree it's a massive factor that the defence concedes so many gilt edged chances for opposition just now but the poor kick out that led to the throw in today where they scored shortly after, the getting beat from 30 yards at Lyon and the 3 goals down the middle and handling outside the box vs malmo. McGregor last year saves majority of these. He is a year closer to 40 and hasn't had a full preseason. I think it's a position we keep an eye on

Lad did what was needed of him when he was called upon but he is our 3rd choice keeper for a reason!

I don't think there is anything wrong in what he said, McGregor doesn't look anywhere near the same level as last season.

McCrorie deserved to keep his place after 2 very commanding performances.

Obviously McGregor isn't to blame for all the goals we conceded but he isn't anywhere near the level he has to be at.
That's it. I'm not undervaluing how good McGregor is. I'm suggesting he is off form and at 39-40 we should be looking at freshening up that position. Theres a reason there are very few players of that age still playing at the highest level

Are you saying he should have prevented 5 of them? o_O

no what I am saying is last season they probably don’t result in goals

its fine margins.

you can’t get away from the fact he is nearly 40, everyone’s reactions slow down as they get older.

anyone expecting the McGregor of last season aren’t going to get it.

McGregor pulled off a remarkable save against Lyon it has to be said. I don't think the rotation of the keepers is helping him though.

Lad did what was needed of him when he was called upon but he is our 3rd choice keeper for a reason!
The high line we play we need a gk with pace. We also need a gk that can distribute the ball.far better. McGregor when hes not shot stopping is a worry

What does the OP think McGregor could've done better to prevent the Motherwell goal today?
I think his kicking brought undue pressure on us but the goal itself was a defensive error. I've put my point across based on his 6 performances so far and the fact he's nearly 40

Nobody escapes the Follow Follow scattergun.
Hardly a scattergun approach. I'm considering his age, form, goals conceded, distribution, how quiet he is during a game compared to prev seasons. Surely you realise this is most likely his last season. Whys it so unthinkable we field his understudy in the upcoming cup game?

Goalkeeper issue really?

Mental.

Should get on the state of the defending for all these goals other than the goalkeepers

I think his kicking brought undue pressure on us but the goal itself was a defensive error. I've put my point across based on his 6 performances so far and the fact he's nearly 40
No worries dont back down double down
His age doesn't matter how many times last season did he win us games?

Reactions: GF7
McGregor is living off last season's reputation. He looks shaky just about every game now. Comes flapping whenever there's a cross, poor distribution, hasn't really made any saves of note this season.

Father time is undefeated...

Behave yourself.

I couldn't agree more.

Using the numbers in the OP to conclude our keeper is off form and to blame for goals conceded is just plain wrong.

List the goals that were his fault, and let's see who agrees.
Yeah, firstly looking at how many of them he should have or could have saved would be the common sense approach. But people are just intent on reading the numbers and drawing their conclusions from them.

Robbie get tae yer scratcher.
You have training in the morning.

McGregor always seems to escape any criticism on here for some reason.

For me his season can be summed up with his moment of madness against Malmo where he ran out to the edge of the box for some reason and decided to handle it outside.

Even today, there was a high cross that came in where no one was near him and I genuinely thought for a minute he'd misjudged it and was about to drop it behind him.

Yeah, firstly looking at how many of them he should have or could have saved would be the common sense approach. But people are just intent on reading the numbers and drawing their conclusions from them.
I think you are doing people a justice by saying they are reading into the numbers, I think it's more plausible that we dropped a couple of points and a large number have flown over the cuckoo's nest.

And you conclude it’s his fault ?
No I've concluded it's the result of an unsettled team, injuries, covid, lack of a preseason for so many of them and one other factor which I've mentioned here is the fact our goalies havent been as effective as they were last year

Yes totally agree and also play Kelly instead of Davis

I think you are doing people a justice by saying they are reading into the numbers, I think it's more plausible that we dropped a couple of points and a large number have flown over the cuckoo's nest.
I brought this up online before we dropped pnts today. Beale even mentioned the fact we'd again conceded with the oppositions 1 shot on target.

Look I have seen a regression in our 39 year old keeper. He's not as effective as he was last year or the years prior to that. I think he looks slower, less mobile and hes extremely quiet compared ro how he was last season.

i hope I'm proved wrong in time but I fear time.is.catching up with him

Davis still has a lot to offer although he shouldnt be expected to play 3 games a week

It's actually a bit worrying that Davis is playing every single game. Surely we have other options for the likes of Motherwell at home?

Those stats perfectly encapsulate why I hate the way the modern football fan is going in terms of this Americanised pish in reading games and scenarios from numbers on spreadsheets rather than with their own eyes. People are stat obsessed now but they can be very misleading for different reasons.
Exactly, couldn't agree more. Reminds me of goals per minute pish for players we could tell were utter gash.

Imagine twisting thing to say our third choice keeper should be playing ahead of what we have. Mental OP.

Back