Celtics Annual Results - Shareholdings

A loan from the Government perhaps?
I know we took up the offer from the Scottish Government as did most other SPFL clubs although it was noted at the time that they didn't appear on the list?

They didn't take the government loan due to a freeze on directors bonuses etc plus their accounts being scrutinised every 3 months or something like that.

Good point. Realistically who do they have left that could go for £10m+
Biggest sellable asset will be the Japanese striker and even then, you’d be pushing it if anyone’s making an argument he’s worth £10m

I know we took up the offer from the Scottish Government as did most other SPFL clubs although it was noted at the time that they didn't appear on the list?
Possibly.
A very large amount to go without being given a description in the Accounts. Just a whiff of ‘we don’t want to say what that is’ about it, which leads to more questions.

The Group’s revenue comprised:
Football and Stadium Operations 20,825 35,797
Merchandising 22,609 15,042
Multimedia and Other Commercial Activities 17,347 19,394
60,781 70,233

Their merchandising went up £7.5m from previous seasons; wonder who is running their trophy centre today.

I'm struggling to see how they could increase their merchandising by 50% in a Covid year, or any year tbh.

I'm struggling to see how they could increase their merchandising by 50% in a Covid year, or any year tbh.
Would that not have included their 9iar tat and quadruple treble shit?

If so, I could understand why. People were wasting £ on all sorts during lockdown so I wouldn’t be surprised but 50% on the face of it does seem a lot

Celtic making a huge loss but still spending more on players than they received?

Financial Fair Play. Cheats. Spending money they don't have. Blah blah blah

This lad, decent player, went from £300k to £11.5m in a year?
That’s a Kamara type leap.
I’d like to see what Leverkusen say they paid for him.
Patterson from nothing to £8m in the same time frame, with much less games and only a year younger. Not trying to argue, just suggesting it’s not impossible :))

Hugh Keevins is always saying they ( Celtc) have millions in the bank, it doesn't look like that to me?

They have a healthy cash position.

£16.2m.

Given Covid, like it or not, that’s not a bad set of books.

Their merchandise deal is strong, they can sell players for good sums and seemed to have survived the pandemic in relative shape.

Anyone got their wage to turnover ratio?

Essentially they’re doing reasonably okay financially due to player sales then?

You can tell from general discussion that a lot of Rangers fans are totally against that model, but there’s simply no way around it for us. It’s got to happen and I expect to see sales even as early as January if the money is right.

Win bonuses - Em, we won't mention them.

And umpteen UEFA fines ..... we won't count them either.

Last edited:
Essentially they’re doing reasonably okay financially due to player sales then?

You can tell from general discussion that a lot of Rangers fans are totally against that model, but there’s simply no way around it for us. It’s got to happen and I expect to see sales even as early as January if the money is right.

Not just player sales tbh. It definitely helps massively that they can sell a decent player for good money.

Their merchandise deal is a strong one as well.

Total Loss £12.6m
Increase in Liabilities
Drop in Cash and equivalents.
Theres also, under Revenue - Other Income, a figure of £5m which was zero the year before. I can’t see what this relates to in the notes.
In other words, being as negative as possible, £5m has appeared without explanation under Revenue In this years figures, where last year‘s equivalent was zero. Why hide an amount of £5m under “Other Income”
Any ideas?
Total shot in the dark here but could Other Income be furlough money and/or similar grants received due to the pandemic?

Loans are not income, but a balance sheet item.

Any money received as part of the furlough scheme would most likely be recorded as other income.- I would guess this.

Theres also, under Revenue - Other Income, a figure of £5m which was zero the year before. I can’t see what this relates to in the notes.
In other words, being as negative as possible, £5m has appeared without explanation under Revenue In this years figures, where last year‘s equivalent was zero. Why hide an amount of £5m under “Other Income”
Any ideas?
Income from a Business Interruption insurance policy triggered by Covid, perhaps?

Not just player sales tbh. It definitely helps massively that they can sell a decent player for good money.

Their merchandise deal is a strong one as well.
What were we guaranteed from Castore, was it £5m a year or have I picked that up wrong?

What were we guaranteed from Castore, was it £5m a year or have I picked that up wrong?
£5m per year guaranteed, up to £9m (between £7-9m) depending on sales - from memory Tom or Phil Beahon said this.

(You’d fancy us to meet these targets).

but Tierneys money is not in 20/21 and that would be added if your argument is correct regarding year on tear bonus payments.

I agree it is normal practise but that makes the Klimala, Frimpong profits even more ludicrous.

Yeah, there's no doubting they inflate what they actually get in the media and the 30% sell on to Man City as part of that £11m is never mentioned either.

The accounts are never a true reflection of particular individual fees though given how the terms are spread out and the football seating crossing different accounting periods.

I never get too upset about them as they're designed to put a positive spin on things

Biggest sellable asset will be the Japanese striker and even then, you’d be pushing it if anyone’s making an argument he’s worth £10m

Depends how the rest of his season goes I suppose but he's a 26 year old who has only just ventured outside of Japan. From his wiki page it looks as if he didn't turn pro until 22 which is bizarre.

Take player acquisitions away and they’re losing around 700k a month possibly more since we don’t know what the 5milliom other income is.

A 10 million loss isn't that bad considering the COVID situation. I find it strange they still made 50 million in revenue taking away player sales. Keeping in mind very little Europa league money due to poor form, I think you get about a million less for coming second in the league. No match day revenue. Very strange numbers

Forensic accountants should be all over their statistics. Durty Dermot has already been done before for using his " businesses " for money laundering. They might be good at off-loading rubbish players, but for millions. ? Really. ?

Do they not generally say the "total cost of the deal is X" therefore will be including fees including wages, sign ons etc?

They have a healthy cash position.

£16.2m.

Given Covid, like it or not, that’s not a bad set of books.

Their merchandise deal is strong, they can sell players for good sums and seemed to have survived the pandemic in relative shape.

Anyone got their wage to turnover ratio?
At least we’re not listening to £40m in the bank , TIAR, CL cash and players worth Mullyins……..

Im only really interested in how they are on the park and to me they look a lot worse off than the past few years so that will do me.

Despite player sales this season there will be a 60m loss . Paying all of those sweepers and feeding Angie don't come cheap

Back