Gerrard to Newcastle, we have seen this movie before

Regardless of their money, this season is shaping up to be a relegation battle for Newcastle. Plus billionaire owners aren't going to f*ck about when it comes to firing a manager after a run of poor form. Gerrard wouldn't put himself in that position imo.

If they survive this season and come for him next summer then that might be different. Not a chance he goes right now though.

Last edited:
If they are still at the bottom round christmas then i can see Newcastle going for someone like sean dyche to keep them up. Maybe give him next season as well to consolidate then go for someone like Simeone or Nagelsman, with their money thats the level of coach they will be after and expect to get. Dont see them going for a manager who is working in the spl. We all appreciate Gerrard and what hes done for us but down there they look down on our league to the extent that they regard winning it with Rangers or celtic as a nothing achievement.

They’ll go higher profile.

Actually think if we offered Beale it he would take it rather than go.

Failing that? Get wee Derek in :))

I don't think it gets much higher profile in the world of football than Steven Gerrard. But I get what you mean, proven CL experience and success etc.

I always thought Steven Gerrard would remain at Rangers until Klopp bows out at Liverpool. And I think he could get the Liverpool job with no experience of managing any other EPL side, any other side at all but Rangers, which some have claimed he has to do before being considered for Liverpool. But, I think he can.

They don't come any more Liverpool than him do they? Grew up locally, supported Liverpool as a kid, joined the Liverpool academy at age 9 and worked his way all through to the captaincy and the miracle of Istanbul.

He stuck with them through thick and thin when he could have played for any team in the world. Winning more honours at say the likes of Chelsea and probably more money too. But at the end of the day stuck with his beloved Liverpool his entire career. I don't count that year in the US at the end as part of his career. He's a one club man.

He has a young family, I don't think he would want to move to the continent. That could only leave maybe a Championship side but that would be a step back now. Better off getting Euro football at Rangers.

In addition to that I don't think he would even want to manage any EPL side but Liverpool. Alex Ferguson said that he was once offered the England job and that it was extremely tempting.

But he turned it down and the reason he turned it down, according to Ferguson himself, is there was no way he could lead an England side out plotting to defeat Scotland. And I think Gerrard may feel exactly the same about Liverpool.

They will only be looking at the top 10 managers in the world, so Celtic should be scared as they might lose Ange. I have heard the Saudi's are super impressed by how Ange has managed to get Joe Hart to retrieve the ball really quickly to take a goal kick.

They will only be looking at the top 10 managers in the world, so Celtic should be scared as they might lose Ange. I have heard the Saudi's are super impressed by how Ange has managed to get Joe Hart to retrieve the ball really quickly to take a goal kick.
Oilball

What foreign manager like conte wants to live in the north east.
Thats a big factor.

Where did millionaires like Shearer, Benitez etc all live?

It’s like any other British city. There will be lovely suburbs.

If my football manager is correct gerrard stays until 2025 goes to Liverpool and we get Arne slot who is the feyernoord coach. I may send a request a bet to sky!!

I can see this type of move unfortunately appealing to Gerrard. I am not losing sleep over it, but I do think it is unlikely he is going straight to Liverpool, there may be another stop on the way.

Money.
Expectations without being a direct competitor to Liverpool.
Big fanbase.
The draw of his name to new backers wanting to make a statement.

Newcastle without Ashley are a decent draw. They are nowhere near us, but the Premier League is what it is.

Not too worried about it, but I can see a reality where it could happen.

Run up to January could see a lot of media hype around this kind of thing.

When did Gerrard captain Newcastle?

Souness left because it was Liverpool, he wasnt leaving for any other club. There were also other issues with Souness at the time, eg with the SFA.

So we havent seen this movie before.

If anyone watches Gerrard's interview immediately after the trophy day game against the sheep and compares that to the press conference recently when taking about needing to spend monry, I'd say there has been a bit of an issue with the board.

The two interviews couldn't be more different in their outlook.. Gerrard was promised something and it was not delivered. That much is clear to me. I'm on Gerrard's side on this.

Gone on the summer imo. "taken the club as far as I can" etc.
Our squad was more than adequate to beat malmo.

We play them last season we are in the champions league.

The board has backed Gerrard

Where did millionaires like Shearer, Benitez etc all live?

It’s like any other British city. There will be lovely suburbs.
No doubt mate, but Shearer was in his home town and Benitez was out of a job.
No doubt money talks, but the option of a manager going to London or Newcastle .
Add to the fact where they are with players and trying to attract players.
Again the option of manchester, liverpool and london is far greater.

Reactions: VGM
If Newcastle come in for him, he’s away IMO.

Couple of years left on his deal would mean a decent compensation plan for us. Then it’s rebuild time :(
I agree,I just can’t see him going straight from us to Liverpool and I think he may see the Newcastle job as the next step towards his ultimate job.also if he went down to Newcastle and they won their first trophy for decades he would become a legend in three football mad city’s

And when people say who would want to live in Newcastle etc

You aren’t committing to living there the rest of your life.

Ridiculous money for a few years to live there isn’t exactly a hardship ffs haha. Not like your plying your trade in the Gaza Strip

Ridiculous money for a few years to live there isn’t exactly a hardship ffs haha. Not like your plying your trade in the Gaza Strip

Especially in the COVID-19 era, I could handle a bit of that

Anyone taking the Newcastle job before January is mental, they are relegation fodder at the moment, and no amount of money behind the scenes or goodwill from the support can paper over those cracks until January rolls around.

Personally I think they will go a different route than Gerrard.

Pretty sure that SG would love to manage Liverpool when the opportunity arises. He will have sufficient personal wealth at present, so money won’t be a short term issue. Steven is bright enough to figure out going to Newcastle carries an unnecessary risk. Lack of progress there could harm his chances of eventually getting his dream job at Liverpool.

Reactions: TN8
I cant see Gerrard going there for me he only has to keep doing what hes doing at Rangers and he will be offered the liverpool job eventualy as i think he has planned,he joins newcastle and makes an arse of it,he may not get that chance i dont think.hel risk it hes staying put for me.

Reactions: TN8
Newcastle are about 4 managers from success. It take time to build squads and add that consistent quality in depth. Cash rich owners so far haven’t had the patience for that and will chop and change. Worst place to be in that is their first manager as they find their feet.

Why what’s wrong with Gazza strip?

127-B15-E6-AA7-D-4-A17-A61-C-DC0-BBE5-F73-BF.jpg

Our squad was more than adequate to beat malmo.

We play them last season we are in the champions league.

The board has backed Gerrard
I guess my point is that it seems that Gerrard himself feels like he has been let down.

"We haven't spent a penny in the last two windows".

"We need to spend money if we want to progress and compete".

Those are not the words of a manager who is happy with his backing - or what he has been told.

All this is in sharp contrast to the upbeat Gerrard who indicated at the end of last season that he had held positive discussions with the board and that "exciting times" lay ahead.

It has not panned out like that and Gerrard is letting everyone know. That much is clear.

I guess my point is that it seems that Gerrard himself feels like he has been let down.

"We haven't spent a penny in the last two windows".

"We need to spend money if we want to progress and compete".

Those are not the words of a manager who is happy with his backing - or what he has been told.

All this is in sharp contrast to the upbeat Gerrard who indicated at the end of last season that he had held positive discussions with the board and that "exciting times" lay ahead.

It has not panned out like that and Gerrard is letting everyone know. That much is clear.
I guess it was probably dependant on qualifying for the champions league.

Which makes this season absolutely vital.

Not happening.

Newcastle will aim higher tbh.
This is a fair point. As much as we love SG he is not yet an elite manager. I think he could be but he has a way to go before he gains that status and unfortunately it will require him to move to England and prove himself in the EPL with a lesser side before making the jump to Liverpool.

Newcastle are about 4 managers from success. It take time to build squads and add that consistent quality in depth. Cash rich owners so far haven’t had the patience for that and will chop and change. Worst place to be in that is their first manager as they find their feet.
Well if they get a right good manager in it might only take one change of boss, id go for the best possible if i was in their position whoever they think can build a side.

And what is success for them, to play CL or just win a cup i dont even know as i dont listen to their fans.

Its also the start of the season, they have only lost 4 games not exactly an impossible job for the next guy to make sure they climb the table and finish well clear of a scrap at the bottom.

It might actually be a good time to take over at Newcastle even without or before spending, Bruce always looks fed up and tired to me.

I guess it was probably dependant on qualifying for the champions league.

Which makes this season absolutely vital.
I hear what you are saying mate.

I also think the fact that SG is bringing the lack of spending/investment to the fore now, does not necessarily mean that everything was dependent on CL qualification. He hasn't mentioned that in these recent outbursts about lack of spending. That to me suggests that he had been promised decent funds regardless of CL.

It is very unlike SG to moan about things like this. He is a fair and balanced guy. That's why I have been slightly alarmed by it.

No doubt mate, but Shearer was in his home town and Benitez was out of a job.
No doubt money talks, but the option of a manager going to London or Newcastle .
Add to the fact where they are with players and trying to attract players.
Again the option of manchester, liverpool and london is far greater.

I remember a sports marketing expert from America telling Newcastle to move their training ground to the South East to help attract players.

Gerrard isn't walking into the Liverpool job straight from Scottish football. He'll need to prove himself elsewhere. If he goes to Newcastle and gets them a top 6/8 finish then he's set himself up for Liverpool. Giving the transfer money available that's doable.
However it depends how the Saudis want to pitch it. Going by their statement they see slow, sustainable growth. That would suggest its not a first tier, top notch manager so not Xavi, Zidane etc.
It wouldn't surprise me if Gerrard is in the frame. Maybe we should group email Newcastle and point out NL is available.

Nobody is throwing money at it. Gerrard is currently 4/1 and there's no odds on favourite. The market is wide open because nobody has a clue if/when Bruce will leave and who the next manager will be.
Mega billionaires with massive aspirations for success aren’t going to keep a crap manager like Bruce.

Mega billionaires with massive aspirations for success aren’t going to keep a crap manager like Bruce.

They might in the short term if they can’t find anyone willing to take the job 3 months before the transfer window opens again and they can spend some cash on the squad.

Gerrard isn't walking into the Liverpool job straight from Scottish football. He'll need to prove himself elsewhere. If he goes to Newcastle and gets them a top 6/8 finish then he's set himself up for Liverpool. Giving the transfer money available that's doable.
However it depends how the Saudis want to pitch it. Going by their statement they see slow, sustainable growth. That would suggest its not a first tier, top notch manager so not Xavi, Zidane etc.
It wouldn't surprise me if Gerrard is in the frame. Maybe we should group email Newcastle and point out NL is available.
Xavi has only a couple of years experience and it’s in Qatar. How can he be considered a top notch manager? Surely he has to prove it first, regardless of how great a player he was.

I wouldn’t consider Zidane first tier either - he did great in Europe in his first stint, but struggled domestically and his second stint was poor. If he was to coach an EPL team, I’m not convinced he would succeed.

First tier would be Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel, Simeone, Conte, Allegri etc.

Gerrard is getting noticeably pissed off with expectations and having a dig about the money he's not been able to spend. I wouldn't disclose him being interested if Newcastle had a lot of money to spend.

When did Gerrard captain Newcastle?

Souness left because it was Liverpool, he wasnt leaving for any other club. There were also other issues with Souness at the time, eg with the SFA.

So we havent seen this movie before.
The landscape has changed massively with respect to Rangers then and now, if we like to admit it or not. We're nowhere near the force and can't compete with top English clubs now, we're huge in to Scottish standards and to the fans we're the biggest club in the world, but not to outsiders. Back then we were signing the cream of the crop from England and seen as equal to their biggest clubs by all. Now we're nowhere near that, due to the downsizing of Scottish Football and Sky Money.

Pretty sure that SG would love to manage Liverpool when the opportunity arises. He will have sufficient personal wealth at present, so money won’t be a short term issue. Steven is bright enough to figure out going to Newcastle carries an unnecessary risk. Lack of progress there could harm his chances of eventually getting his dream job at Liverpool.
Don't think anyone is going to 'lack progress' at Newcastle though?

Seems like it'd be borderline impossible to not progress when you're being given unlimited money and you're already at rock bottom

Xavi has only a couple of years experience and it’s in Qatar. How can he be considered a top notch manager? Surely he has to prove it first, regardless of how great a player he was.

I wouldn’t consider Zidane first tier either - he did great in Europe in his first stint, but struggled domestically and his second stint was poor. If he was to coach an EPL team, I’m not convinced he would succeed.

First tier would be Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel, Simeone, Conte, Allegri etc.
If you substitute Gerrard for xavi and Scotland for Qatar it holds true. Zidane has won more over the past 5/6 years than any of your first tier. He's won three Champions League trophies, two Club World Cups, two UEFA Super Cups, two Spanish Super Cups and two LaLiga titles

Back