Gerrard to Newcastle, we have seen this movie before

Newcastle are now a problem for Liverpool, in relation to their rivals Liverpool’s net spend has been minuscule over the last decade.

You're absolutely right.

But Gerrard will already know whether he will be taking over from Klopp or not. If he is then he won't be going anywhere until then. If he isn't, then anything down south is a possibility.

Gerrard will want a shot of managing us in the CL. I also cannot see him leaving us in the lurch mid season. Not his style.

You're absolutely right.

But Gerrard will already know whether he will be taking over from Klopp or not. If he is then he won't be going anywhere until then. If he isn't, then anything down south is a possibility.

I think that we might be looking for a new boss; IF he was to be offered the NUFC project, assuming they can give him the eye watering budget that might be up for grabs.

Newcastle are now a problem for Liverpool, in relation to their rivals Liverpool’s net spend has been minuscule over the last decade.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself just now. It will take newcastle years to build up a challenge (if they do) due to FFP rules so I wouldn't bet on them challenging Liverpool just yet

Wouldn't want to be the next Newcastle manager.

You would be operating with a bottom 6 squad.

Give it 2 to 3 transfer windows though....

I think that we might be looking for a new boss; IF he was to be offered the NUFC project, assuming they can give him the eye watering budget that might be up for grabs.

I think we will be looking for a new boss in that circumstance. The thing for him is to look at Hughes and the other early managers at Man City and even some of the earlier PSG ones. They didn't get long. They served a purpose and then binned.

From their point of view, Gerrard makes all kinds of sense in lifting their profile.

Are folk talking about right now? As in, Gerrard walking away mid-season from competing for a title and Champions League place to join a club (albeit now a very rich one) who are in a relegation battle and have 1 transfer window to buy their way out of it?

Are people hearing themselves here?

January is a long time away in terms of points to play for.

Newcastle could be cut adrift at the bottom with Norwich. None of the current squad of players will be at the level they now want to be at. So I cant see any of them getting any better.

Getting rid of Bruce straight away could be suicide

Be a very interesting few months.

If anyone watches Gerrard's interview immediately after the trophy day game against the sheep and compares that to the press conference recently when taking about needing to spend monry, I'd say there has been a bit of an issue with the board.

The two interviews couldn't be more different in their outlook.. Gerrard was promised something and it was not delivered. That much is clear to me. I'm on Gerrard's side on this.

Gone on the summer imo. "taken the club as far as I can" etc.

If anyone watches Gerrard's interview immediately after the trophy day game against the sheep and compares that to the press conference recently when taking about needing to spend monry, I'd say there has been a bit of an issue with the board.

The two interviews couldn't be more different in their outlook.. Gerrard was promised something and it was not delivered. That much is clear to me.

Gone on the summer imo. "taken the club as far as I can" etc.

Maybe the board made assurances ion the assumption that we’d beat Malmo.

Malmo - UCL Team this season, Rangers one win out of six against Alashkert. This season’s uninspiring start is not the (plc) board’s fault.

No offence to Gerrard but with their money they can bring in a more experienced and higher calibre of manager.

A game of FM Aar the richest club in the world I don’t think many refuse that ?

Personally I don’t think Gerrard gets the Liverpool job after Klopp anyway.

Maybe the board made assurances ion the assumption that we’d beat Malmo.

Malmo - UCL Team this season, Rangers one win out of six against Alashkert. This season’s uninspiring start is not the (plc) board’s fault.
I'm not sure CL qualification was definitely the requirement. It would have obviously helped but there was never any guarantee that we would qualify. I said months ago that I'd be pleasantly surprised if we made it through the qualifiers.

SG is a fair and balanced guy. His recent stuff about lack of investment and needing to spend was very telling imo. He's not normally one to complain unless he feels it's justified. I feel promises from the board were not met. Why else would SG mention his frustration in two recent press conferences? He wanted to get the message out there and I feel he feels he was let down based on previous assurances. That interview after the sheep he was buzzing for the transfer window.

I'm not sure CL qualification was definitely the requirement. It would have obviously helped but there was never any guarantee that we would qualify. I said months ago that I'd be pleasantly surprised if we made it through the qualifiers.

SG is a fair and balanced guy. His recent stuff about lack of investment and needing to spend was very telling imo. He's not normally one to complain unless he feels it's justified. I feel promises from the board were not met. Why else would SG mention his frustration in two recent press conferences? He wanted to get the message out there and I feel he feels he was let down based on previous assurances. That interview after the sheep he was buzzing for the transfer window.

Beating Malmo was worth €4m+ on its own.

I love Steven Gerrard, but; if true, I think blaming the club for a lack ok of funds is unfair.

Remember Souness to Liverpool, that hit us hard, but we had Walter Smith.

I would hope that £mega millions from Saudi billionaires who are using Newcastle as a PR exercise would mean Gerrard exercising caution.

Those Saudi Billionaires, let’s not kid ourselves, could turn his head with their bottomless pit of cash.

I would be especially disappointed in Steven Gerrard if he left, but it could happen, we always knew this.

We should know his mindset soon because his views will be sought especially with the English Media.

I hope the Rangers Board are awake, we will maybe have to look for another Walter Smith.
NFC

I hear what you are saying mate.

Post sheep game from SG and subsequent interview with John Bennett strongly suggested a great treanfer window. That didn't happen.

As I say, SG's recent outbursts definitely make me think he feels let down. It's not like him to talk like that. He's not a moaner unless he feels it is justified.

I would hope that £mega millions from Saudi billionaires who are using Newcastle as a PR exercise would mean Gerrard exercising caution.

Those Saudi Billionaires, let’s not kid ourselves, could turn his head with their bottomless pit of cash.

I would be especially disappointed in Steven Gerrard if he left, but it could happen, we always knew this.

We should know his mindset soon because his views will be sought especially with the English Media.

I hope the Rangers Board are awake, we will maybe have to look for another Walter Smith.
I was a bit concerned with this too... Then I realised the kernel for this story was Alan Brazil.

Its gonna take time to appreciate, but Newcastle are richer than most clubs in the world now. They will be able to attract the top bracket of experienced managers.

Do you work for the Daily Record?

In my opinion SG has one more box to tick before he is ready for Liverpool ( if that ever happens ). He needs to prove he can handle the big earning players. It's one thing taking an unknown player who want's to prove himself and coaching him to be better, but it's a totally different mindset the millionaire players have. Let's be honest, he probably won't get that experience at Rangers, so somewhere like Newcastle could tempt him if an approach was made. But, put simply, none of us know what SG would decide or do in that scenario.

There some to be a lot on here who are underestimating how big a name in world football out manager actually is and even more so down south he is exactly the type of manager the new owners will be looking it from a big name point of view to launch the new “project”

From a managerial point of view yes he’s not had the success of Conte or Zidane but he’s done a cracking job of returning us to our rightful place against a team who had a bigger budget and had been running away with the leagues for years while more importantly getting very impressive runs in Europe

I always said he wouldn’t leave here until he got offered the Liverpool job but this is something that would be very difficult for him to turn down an EPL team with unlimited funds isn’t a job you will get offered often in life I’m just hoping the go for Zidane or Conte

Newcastle will go for an experienced manager that has won at the highest level, they will need to do that to attract the standard of player needed to compete.

Any doubts that Gerrard has been growing unsettled were surely ended by his reaction at full time last week. That was a fully committed manager

How can we have seen this movie before when Gerrard has never played for Newcastle? Its not remotely similar to when Souness left for Liverpool.

Won't be happening but if it does - step forward Gary Mac

In my opinion SG has one more box to tick before he is ready for Liverpool ( if that ever happens ). He needs to prove he can handle the big earning players. It's one thing taking an unknown player who want's to prove himself and coaching him to be better, but it's a totally different mindset the millionaire players have. Let's be honest, he probably won't get that experience at Rangers, so somewhere like Newcastle could tempt him if an approach was made. But, put simply, none of us know what SG would decide or do in that scenario.
Surely he’s done that through his career being captain?

I also think if Newcastle come for him then he would leave. The amounts of £ that is going to be spent on the whole operation is going to be mind blowing.

If he thinks lack of investment will make us cannon fodder in the CL, he's off on the summer imo.
If we win the league we will have money to invest.
He isnt going to Newcastle as they will be relegated this season. The takeover doesnt change the level of player they have just now

Not a chance this is happening.

Remember whoever gets the job has to keep them up with that squad this season which will be hard enough

I think Gerrards last season will be next year..... but there's no one that stand out for me as our next manager. Hopefully board are well prepared when it eventually happens

I can see this happening to be honest.

He could go there for 18Months, spend a fortune and lift Newcastle from 19th to comfortable top 10 team before both him and Newcastle look at their next moves. I've heard Newcastle have a 5-10 year plan so will build gradually.

Just my opinion but I think Gerrard is similar to Smith with his values.
When Walter was sacked by SDM he had to get out of Scotland because he just couldn't have gone to another club like a Hearts and seriously tried to take points from Rangers to prevent them winning the league. His heart and soul was Rangers and I can see Gerrard in the same mould.
I am pretty sure Gerrard has had plenty interest from down south but he is waiting on his dream job. Again just my opinion but he will be pencilled in for the job as soon as Klopp calls time on it.

Newcastle will have higher ambition than what Gerrard is capable of right now.

They'll go for a proven top level manager like Conte or similar.

I think Rodgers is the obvious ok based candidate

I just don’t see Steven Gerrard going to Newcastle at all. I don’t think he’d be interested and I think Newcastle will try and go box office.

Ignoring whether they would want him or not for a minute, the history of managerial appointments at new rich clubs give a clear indication that you do not want to be one of the first in the door under new mega rich ownership. You nrealistic expectations from the support and not enough time to build what needs to be built are pretty standard. If he is interested in that kind of job, he would be better off waiting 3 years or so until the groundwork is done.

It's the international break. So the MSM need to fill their papers with something that impacts Rangers negatively.

So this is why he is "linked".

Stevie G loves it here. I think the only other job he's interested in is the Liverpool job when Klopp era ends

Its odd the way folk always say no chance, hes been here a while now and everyone knows the difference between the league down there and scottish football.

I think Newcastle with plenty of cash, Spurs, Villa these sort of clubs maybe would interest the gaffer i am not suggesting he wants out not at all but the chance to spend a fortune and prove himself might interest the guy.

Not saying he couldnt go from Rangers to Liverpool as that sort of talk is daft but at the same time a nice spell in the EPL would make it more likely/wouldnt do any harm.

I do have a feeling this will be his last season at Ibrox i have not a lot to base that on other than sitting here thinking same as Charlie, but ofcourse will be happy if hes still here for a crack at CL.

If and when SG goes I would have no qualms about Beale getting the job. Failing that and if available then Frank Lampard with Jody Morris would be s good shout to replace SG and co

Back