Steve G’s comment regards 5 from 15 not being enough from AM

ibrox1975

It’s a fine balance this, I hope that Alfredo doesn’t become selfish at the cost of the team by shooting from positions he’d be better off passing.
It’s the team’s result that counts.
Not sure if Steve’s comments were taken out of context or not.
Surprised me though.

It’s a fine balance this, I hope that Alfredo doesn’t become selfish at the cost of the team by shooting from positions he’d be better off passing.
Surprised me though.
Is this from the PC mate? Haven't got round to watching it.

If so, then it's hard to disagree. Alfredo game has changed for the best when he's made good passes to link up play.

He does need goals though. It's not enough for his standards.

0_Gerrard2PNG.png

If some of the folk I worked with considered doing this to me I would crack their heid (I'm hard)

They love each other, Gerrard can utterly work Morelos, he says things he wants to be aimed at players and knows fine well what he is doing.

His normal strike rate is about 1 in 2, so 1 in 3 is low for him but he scores in spells not consistently, so 1 in 3 is probably about normal for him during a drier spell.

1 in 3 is never good enough for a striker, at any club. Alfie himself won’t be happy with it

Reactions: TQ3
That has nothing to do with this goal count tbh. How many chances did he have at the weekend while playing this different role.

The one Roofe square aside the other chances werent really clear cut

I thought like the rest of the team Alfie played really really well first half beforet he manager changed the whole thing

Don't get him picking on a goal record in public in regards to Morelos he would never say a wrong word about Tav or Goldson who are the moment is a far bigger problem all be it Morelos goal return at the moment is low hes still offering the team a lot more then some

he’ll hit form soon I think. Could’ve got a few at the weekend. Just needs to keep the head up and plod away. the goals will come.

I thought like the rest of the team Alfie played really really well first half beforet he manager changed the whole thing

Don't get him picking on a goal record in public in regards to Morelos he would never say a wrong word about Tav or Goldson who are the moment is a far bigger problem all be it Morelos goal return at the moment is low hes still offering the team a lot more then some
Strikers dont always get clear cut chances, he never even hit the target (that I can recall). Talking about a different role is a squirrel.

He was asked about it and he was correct to answer it.

I fancy him to bag one tonight and hopefully go on a good scoring run off the back of it

Surely our manager would know the players personality unlike us as he works with him nearly everyday so he will know what will motivate him, I highly doubt Gerrard would be saying it if it was about a player who couldn't handle it, tough love they call it. Some need a cuddle and some need called out, Alfredo must be the latter.

I notice it more from my view at home games. Alfie’s not in the box enough as the main striker for me.

Needs to be in the box more often and let the other players around get the ball to him in dangerous areas.

Coming deep and doing the wee Hollywood cross field pass is nice when it works, but it’s not enough at the moment to justify him having the starting spot.

That’s the thing, excluding Lundstram we don’t really have goals in midfield

We rely on our forwards and the 2 10’s that Beale talks about then our 2 FB’s
Yes, we need to be getting goals all over the park it's noticeable that midfield never score enough, last year we also got goals from Goldson and a lot of goals from Tav.

That’s the thing, excluding Lundstram we don’t really have goals in midfield

I wouldn't say many of the top sides do these days to be fair, as a trend midfield is far more about game control these days rather than it being an area a great deal of goals come from.

Surprised me though.

He's right, it's not enoughhe doesn't. Send to change his game or start shooting from all sorts of places

He just needs to show some composure and take the chances he's getting

He goes through patches and has done since he signed for us. I'm sure he will hit the back of the net regularly shortly.

No issue with the gaffers comments on this - hopefully Alfie responds in the right way and gets himself back on track

The left footed effort in the first half was a glaring chance and he didn’t even hit the target. Someone said he’s still getting lots of chances, I think that’s been true at times this season, it certainly was at the weekend.

I didn’t think it was the case last season though where at times he was been criticised for not scoring freely when we really weren’t creating an awful lot for him. It’s on Morelos to once again do what he’s always managed to do, make the clueless snipers eat their words.

Surprised me though.

It should've been 9 from 15 after last Saturday.

I think Gerrard was meaning that his finishing this season wasn't up to that of a Rangers striker.

It's not just Alfredo who's struggling to find the net right now.
Tav (although not expecting a full-back to rattle them in every week) finished as our top scorer last season with 19 goals.

His goals have dried up somewhat too, just three in his last 33 games.

Compare Alfredo's tally with last season, he only had 1 goal more, six in 15.
Meanwhile Tav who has 1 goal so far in 13 appearances was sitting on 8 after 13 games last season. That is a significant drop which has been ignored. Can't expect SG to have a go at Tav for not scoring mind.

I'm not sure he'll be in the starting lineup. He needs to start taking chances or he may be on the bench for a while.

Should try playing him up the park a big instead of this false 9 he has him playing all the time.

Strike rate lately is far from good enough but is it the way he’s being asked to play or is he dropping back because he’s lost his confidence in front of goals.

Alfie should hit back asking why his roles been changed

Maybe he has behind the scenes hed be within his rights
Aye that's definitely what he should do...

Or he could just start hitting the back of the net with his chances.

He's playing the same role as he was last season by the way.

His normal strike rate is about 1 in 2, so 1 in 3 is low for him but he scores in spells not consistently, so 1 in 3 is probably about normal for him during a drier spell.
That’s true. Last season he had a six game streak and an eight game streak where he failed to score. The season before he had an eight game streak. This season he’s had a five. He’ll score tonight.

The miss in the first was a clear-cut chance, I'd argue. Maybe not as easy to score from, but missing the target completely was poor.

We need 30 goal a season Morelos back, if that’s what it takes then I’m happy with it! The reality is others should be chipping in with goals too. I’d expect Roofe 15-20, Kent the same. Aribo and Hagi 10 to 15. Morelos may be off form but his team mates should be digging him out too!

I notice it more from my view at home games. Alfie’s not in the box enough as the main striker for me.

Needs to be in the box more often and let the other players around get the ball to him in dangerous areas.

Coming deep and doing the wee Hollywood cross field pass is nice when it works, but it’s not enough at the moment to justify him having the starting spot.
He lost it at the halfway line Saturday and the only people behind him were the centre half’s . Should never happen to be that deep in possession

His role might’ve changed but he still had about 3/4 chances at the weekend that any striker would want to score. Maybe in context the manager means with the amount of chances he’s had, 5 goals isn’t enough.

Back