Steve G’s comment regards 5 from 15 not being enough from AM

It's not just Alfredo who's struggling to find the net right now.
Tav (although not expecting a full-back to rattle them in every week) finished as our top scorer last season with 19 goals.

His goals have dried up somewhat too, just three in his last 33 games.

Compare Alfredo's tally with last season, he only had 1 goal more, six in 15.
Meanwhile Tav who has 1 goal so far in 13 appearances was sitting on 8 after 13 games last season. That is a significant drop which has been ignored. Can't expect SG to have a go at Tav for not scoring mind.

The vast majority of Tav’s goals were penalties though. We can’t really blame him because we’re not getting the same number of spot kicks.

Alfie should hit back asking why his roles been changed

Maybe he has behind the scenes hed be within his rights

Then he'd look stupid considering its the same role he has played for at least two years.

Bet you that you think we play/played with wingers as well.

I think the gaffer was right to call it out
He was. Don't know the stats, but from the sidelines, his conversion rate of chances to goals looks to have dropped off considerably. Could and probably should have had a hattrick v Hearts. I'm sure he's aware of all of that himself though. When he gets his 100th, I think the 101st will follow soon after. Hopefully get both tonight!

It was a member of the SMSM that asked the question, and stated it was a good ratio. 5 from 15 might be good enough for a CF at Aberdeen, Motherwell or Hibs, but it isn’t enough from a Rangers CF.

Especially one with Alfie’s ability. Simple as that.

Alfie will come good. Worry not.

It's absolutely nowhere near good enough, he's been shocking infront of goal.

All this talk about him dropping back and spraying the ball changing things, it shouldn't stop him fro. Being able to finish sitters from 5 yards out.

The one Roofe square aside the other chances werent really clear cut

I thought like the rest of the team Alfie played really really well first half beforet he manager changed the whole thing

Don't get him picking on a goal record in public in regards to Morelos he would never say a wrong word about Tav or Goldson who are the moment is a far bigger problem all be it Morelos goal return at the moment is low hes still offering the team a lot more then some

He said on Saturday post-match that we need to improve defensively so, not sure where you are getting that.

It's also not a 'far bigger problem' imo. It's true, we aren't looking as solid at the back but, if we start sticking away even 20% of the good chances we are creating we win these games comfortably.

Measurement of what? I think he should score more in the league.
If you simply mean that it is the priority tournament, I’m with you.
However, if you’re being disparaging in some way, I’d just ask why.
The goals are the same size in Europe.
The teams are, generally, of higher quality.
It should be easier in the league.

You’re right the competition is higher but he just doesn’t seem to score consistently over a league season. Our number 1 striker should be able to do that.

His normal strike rate is about 1 in 2, so 1 in 3 is low for him but he scores in spells not consistently, so 1 in 3 is probably about normal for him during a drier spell.
I take it you mean games, in terms of chances taken it would be above 1 in 5 .

It’s a fine balance this, I hope that Alfredo doesn’t become selfish at the cost of the team by shooting from positions he’d be better off passing.
It’s the team’s result that counts.
Not sure if Steve’s comments were taken out of context or not.
Surprised me though.
A fine balance? He’s playing in a diddy league and playing extremely poorly.

A fine balance? He’s playing in a diddy league and playing extremely poorly.
I’m meaning we’re wanting him to score more but not at the cost to the team
If he’s 1 on 1 with the keeper and he could easily slide it across to Roofe for a open goal tap in, Alfie who is at an angle could try an unlikely effort to try and boost his goal tally whilst squaring it to Roofe would have been a certain goal.
We should measure a striker by his output not his goals.
If he rolls 3 balls on a plate to others and we win 3-0 no-one would criticise Alfie but if he blasts all 3 at the keeper cos he’s desperate to score we’ve made a rod for our own backs

Some posters on here will be labelling our manager a Morelos hater with holding an opinion like that …

For what it’s worth, it’s a poor record as SDF points out even worse above.

I hope he is benched tonight but if he does start, hopefully he gets back on the scoresheet as another night of missed chances like Sunday is unacceptable

There is no doubt the Rangers centre forward should be scoring more goals,Gerrard was spot on with his comments,Alfie has never been a consistent finisher he very rarely passes it into the net it's more often than not a head down and blast it,yes he gives us so much but strikers will always be judged on goals.

I believe Gerrard also linked the rest of the team as not supporting the strikers enough to let the big guns do what they do best. I think the 5 from 15 wasn't just an Alfie jab.

It's a strategy worth employing because Alfredo can't really play much worse.

He needs provoked and he could also do with losing a stone aswell.

Folk have been saying it on here all season long and yet we still getting folk shouting he plays a different way now.

Strikers are in the team to score goals and the manager is correct, now it's up to Morelos to show us all what he is made of

It’s a fine balance this, I hope that Alfredo doesn’t become selfish at the cost of the team by shooting from positions he’d be better off passing.
Surprised me though.
I don't understand what you mean 'taken out of context'.
I think Gerrard was quite plain, and succinct and that should be enough even for a guy that doesn't speak much English.
He can always call Andy Halliday or... (if he still has his number) Daniel Candeias if the penny hasn't dropped!

I’m meaning we’re wanting him to score more but not at the cost to the team
If he’s 1 on 1 with the keeper and he could easily slide it across to Roofe for a open goal tap in, Alfie who is at an angle could try an unlikely effort to try and boost his goal tally whilst squaring it to Roofe would have been a certain goal.
We should measure a striker by his output not his goals.
If he rolls 3 balls on a plate to others and we win 3-0 no-one would criticise Alfie but if he blasts all 3 at the keeper cos he’s desperate to score we’ve made a rod for our own backs
I think a genuine top striker for either of the old firm would be getting Haaland/Lewandowski type stats. Even if Morelos does have a deeper role to play, he’s still our main attacker, and his finishing has been awful.

Morelos is having a poor season thus far, like our team in general.

It is something I have noticed for a while. His goal rate in Europe is far more impressive than in the league. I don’t know why it is, either the type of game suits him better (more open), or he ups his game when on the European stage, or maybe it’s the big occasion he likes. I don’t know, but for me he needs to improve his goal scoring in the league.

It is something I have noticed for a while. His goal rate in Europe is far more impressive than in the league. I don’t know why it is, either the type of game suits him better (more open), or he ups his game when on the European stage, or maybe it’s the big occasion he likes. I don’t know, but for me he needs to improve his goal scoring in the league.
I’m not sure if a player can, it that couple of seconds between the chance being created and him shooting, consider what tournament he’s playing in.

Surprised me though.
He’s always been selfish.

I’m not sure if a player can, it that couple of seconds between the chance being created and him shooting, consider what tournament he’s playing in.
A bit of a strange response tbh. I listed a few things which might cause him to score more in Europe.

And you believe he could be thinking of these things between receiving a pass and shooting?
Did you read the list? Type of game for example, it’s not a case of thinking something in his head it’s a matter of the type of game suiting his game better for whatever reason (more space). I suggested perhaps he raises his game for Europe, perhaps he likes a big occasion, I’ve thought he has looked very lively and up for it at times in Europe when sometimes he has looked anything but domestically. You could say the same about Kent with an old firm. As I said I don’t know, but for some reason his goal scoring record is more impressive in Europe than in the league and there are some plausible potential reasons for it.

Last edited:
Did you read the list? Type of game for example, it’s not a case of thinking something in his head it’s a matter of the type of game suiting his game better for whatever reason (more space). I suggested perhaps he raises his game for Europe, perhaps he likes a big occasion, I’ve thought he has looked very lively and up for it at times in Europe when sometimes he has looked anything but domestically. You could say the same about Kent with an old firm. As I said I don’t know, but for some reason his goal scoring record is more impressive in Europe than in the league and there are some plausible reasons for it.
I read it.
Didn’t think too much of it, to be honest.
More that a striker, a goalscorer, can change his mindset if any when a goalscoring chance presents itself.
Maybe other positions, not centre forwards though.
These player’s gut instinct is to get into a goalscoring position whether playing Berwick or Barcelona.

I read it.
Didn’t think too much of it, to be honest.
More that a striker, a goalscorer, can change his mindset if any when a goalscoring chance presents itself.
Maybe other positions, not centre forwards though.
These player’s gut instinct is to get into a goalscoring position whether playing Berwick or Barcelona.
Morelos' goal rate in the league is a goal every 156 minutes. That goes up to every 164 if you only include the past 2/3 seasons because his goal rate has dipped since 2019. In the Europa League group-stage it's a goal every 139 minutes, despite the opposition being far stronger, games far more even and our win rate a lot lower.

I think there are plausible potential reasons for it, I only listed a few but the list could go on. It doesn't really matter but I don't know why you are so resistant to the idea that it isn't just random when the numbers are so significant. Regardless of the reasons for it, my initial point was simply that I think he should score more than he does in the league, his EL goals seem to me to show that he is more than capable of it.

If you watch the video, no one hit out at anyone and no one needs to bite back.

Gaffer was asked about Alfie and made some fair comments that he should be scoring more and the player will think that himself.

Nothing more than that

Back