’A safe pair of hands’

Who do you regard as ‘a safe pair of hands’?

• Derek McInnes

Votes: 69 21.7%
  • Tommy Wright

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Alex McLeish & Alex Rae

Votes: 35 11.0%
  • Sir Walter Smith

Votes: 103 32.4%
  • Frank DeBoer

Votes: 26 8.2%
  • Another foreign coach with pedigree

Votes: 26 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 54 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some ITK poster said in the other thread there was 60 applicants when Pedro got the job. Why are some obsessed with McInnes? Is that really the best we can do? I dont want a "safe pair of hands", I want someone that's going to take us forward and challenge the tims and have us do more than turn up in Europe.

Prety sure Walter would not want to come back with the way things are. But who knows :p

Walter Smith until we can sort something out.

I wouldn't mind this.
I posted on other threads that it'd be McInnes because that's as safe as it gets just now.
Every other name that might be a realistic option is a massive gamble at this point.
I wasn't including Smith in my thinking as I thought that option was a non starter.

I m not in favour of giving Pedro the sack and think he deserves until the end of the year. However, if he was I would appoint Walter until the end of the season which would give us time to make the next appointment. There will be many managerial movements before the season ends in the UK and abroad nd we should give ourselves the widest possible choice available and not knee jerk react to being potentially without a manager.

Why there is so much hatred towards McInnes on this site I have no idea. The sheep are miles ahead of us, he gets the best out of a limited bunch of players and he knows the SPL inside out. A no brainier for me.

If we want to go forward then we have to stop losing soft goals and be hard to beat. We need to be physically stronger than the opposition. For me that means Sam Allardyce.I don't know if he would be interested or how we could afford him but that's the job of the board to find the funds.
If we stick with Pedro then we won't catch the tims its that simple.
I think Allardyce would want to be playing on a level playing field financially with the skanks.....and that's not happening anytime soon. Playing second fiddle in Scotland is not what he wants at this stage in his career. From the list above, only Walter could genuinely be seen as a 'safe pair of hands' and that's just not happening. I'm not sure what or who the answer is, but one thing for certain is that the next appointment needs to be made by a football man IE the DoF and NOT a guy who may be a business genius, but knows no more about football than you or I (and probably less than many).

My preference before we appointed Pedro would've been Ranieri. He was available then and the money spent on Peña and Hererra could easily have covered his wage and more. He's now 3rd in Ligue 1 with Nantes.

Just now I think we could look at

Henning Berg (no club)
Roberto Di Matteo (no club)
Frank De Boer (no club)
Michael Laudrup (Qatari league)

all managers who have played at the top level and won trophies as managers. Those are the qualities we should be looking for.

With respect to the likes of Allardyce, Billy Davies, Neil Warnock and people like that whose name crops up time and again, they are 'horses for courses' if you are looking to get a Championship team to the playoffs or stave off relegation. They are not Rangers class and they've won next to nothing in their careers.

For those that want Walter - and let's face it who wouldn't, we'd have him in a heartbeat - he'd simply tell the board on approach to go and appoint Derek McInnes.

Walter is almost 70, enjoying his retirement, health and grandkids. His time bailing us out and showing footballers in their twenties how to be men is done.

Neal Warnock and Alan pardew are no better than Warburton,if and when Pedro has to go we need to be aiming higher than those two. What about Di Matteo,maybe not but that's the calibre we should be looking at
Warnocks doing not too badly at cardiff.. that boats sailed

My preference before we appointed Pedro would've been Ranieri. He was available then and the money spent on Peña and Hererra could easily have covered his wage and more. He's now 3rd in Ligue 1 with Nantes.

Just now I think we could look at

Henning Berg (no club)
Roberto Di Matteo (no club)
Frank De Boer (no club)
Michael Laudrup (Qatari league)

all managers who have played at the top level and won trophies as managers. Those are the qualities we should be looking for.

With respect to the likes of Allardyce, Billy Davies, Neil Warnock and people like that whose name crops up time and again, they are 'horses for courses' if you are looking to get a Championship team to the playoffs or stave off relegation. They are not Rangers class and they've won next to nothing in their careers.

Some very interesting choices… by the way do you think any of these could stop Rodgers?

I think Roberto DiMatteo is one we should be looking at,he rescued Chelseas' season when Jose left and won them the C L beating Barcelona well in the process, don't know if it's a goer but that's the calibre we should be looking at not Warnock and Pardew.

Jesus, are you on the wrong forum?

I would go for Murty with possibly Miller assisting short term,the most important point is the next long term Manager has to be the right call and will probably require us to push the boat out for a top English manager, we cannot afford another mistake on this front and fritter more money away.

I think we should be prepared to pay big money for the right man. Would rather spend bit less on players and get the right manager if necessary. It's absolutely vital to get this right. Appreciate that good managers like to have money to spend, but we are a great club for anyone to come to and be the manager of. There has to be a top man out there that wants to come to Rangers.

I don’t know if Pedro will be replaced but am pretty sure that if he is, that there will be no shortage of people saying that whoever is his replacement is not the right man.

There is no such thing as a safe pair of hands in football management.

Almost all managers have been or will be sacked in the course of their careers so presumably that means they sometimes fail.

Also, the best managers are the best managers because they don't do the "safe" thing. Safe translates to mediocre, and unless you vastly outspend the opposition you aren't winning with a safe pair of hands.

The best coach IMO in any sport is Bill Bellichik of the Patriots in the NFL and he is also the most unorthodox situational gambler I can think of. He gets away with it because he's been successful enough that he isn't seriously questioned and he genuinely doesn't give a %^*& about what other folk think. He doesn't need to even pretend to play safe.

Like I stated Chrisgers it’s a very subjective definition…and one that is typically over used by every so called pundit in the land!

What if the next manager fails and the next and the next no one will touch us.
Pedro gets my 100% support until the board decide enough is enough.

I shall await the incoming shite.

What if the next manager fails and the next and the next no one will touch us.
Pedro gets my 100% support until the board decide enough is enough.

I shall await the incoming shite.

Why? You are entitled… to your opinion… and after reading what Vidmar posted this morning I agree ……we have to back Pedro in the hope he can turn this around.

Hopefully the players themselves realize their performances have been unacceptable and want to win for the fans if not the manager.

I'm totally backing Pedro . However if one day he moves on I really think big Sam would be a perfect fit for us .

Well even before tonight on this little insignificant poll the overwhelming favourite if you agree that ‘a safe pair of hands’ is… what’s needed is ………………the one and only Sir Walter!

To me it justifies putting it together and thanks to all who took the time to either vote or add a comment!

Or both!

The next few games may prove very interesting………

There’s a lot of folk placing a lot of faith in the DOF to have significant input to the process & identify a suitable manager - I’m not sure why - where is his track record re this type of appointment?

A safe pair of hands = a former manager or some random ex-player.

That'll shut them up for a bit

We have to get the next manager right,our last 3 managers have been a gamble in one way or another ,ally first time manager,warburton another inexperienced manager with no plan b,Pedro foreign manager with no real pedigree,,,Next manager has to be experienced,know Rangers and know what we have to do to beat the scum
The board need to get this next manager appointment right or else they're not fit for purpose and the tinks will be out of sight

Back