“I need Helander back fit sharpish”

One person had the chance to remove that risk and didn't do it.

You can't say he won us the game and Katic lost us it when he changed shape, we suddenly played better before bizzarely reverting to the original shape and looking woeful again.

Katic was to blame for the goals. Somebody left somebody having a nightmare on. That somebody is where the blame lies.
The manager did his job. it wasn't working he changed it. Katic didn't do his. ie. kick the ball to f&*k out of the box

See for St Johnstons second goal, was it not Ryan Jack who was tracking stevie may then gave him time to score? Surely Jack stays on him and he doesn't get that opertunity, yeah would have helped katic if he got his head on the ball but the follow up Jack should a stay with him

Gerrard won us the game on sunday and katic cost us the 2 points. two obvious mistakes, but not isolated incidents. Sorry, he has potential but you need a thick skin to play for big clubs.
Ok so when Kamberi scored one and set up another Gerrard did well. When Katic makes two mistakes Katic done bad.

Some double standards no?

I think we’re seeing Gerrard start to crack under the pressure.

Everyone is to blame apart from himself when in reality his insistence on playing the same tactics with almost the same players week after week is what is harming us.

We aren’t Liverpool, don’t have the same talent at our disposal, so he shouldn’t expect us to play like them.

Warburton was slated for having the same approach.

I don't agree with this. Playing the same tactic wasn't the reason we dropped points on Sunday.

It was failing to deal with a high ball and two centre halfs acting like clowns.

FWIW, I think Warburton's lack of PlanB was overstated to an extent too. His issue was having players who weren't good enough. We're better than we were then as we now have better players.

The solution to this is to improve the squad again next window.

Effort and bottle are an issue far more than tactics at this stage for me. We're capable of beating anyone in this league...the effort is lacking at times and three at the back doesn't change that. We need stronger mentalities in the dressing room.

At the time when we signed Helander, it was between him and Simon Deli.

Personally, I had never heard of Helander - but, know Simon Deli fairly well having seen him play for Slavia.

So, I admit, I am biased on this one.

Knowing how good Deli is, I expected massive things from Helander. But..............although he has done OK, he is woefully slow. If he was performing the way I was expecting - then there would have been nobody wanting Katic back.

Another reason I would have chosen Deli over Helander is.........medals!

Deli has won things. I was there when he won the Czech League in 2017 (Tore Andre Flo's cousin came on as a sub).

He then won the Czech cup. And then the league and cup double last season.
Also on course for the Belgian league this season it appears.

He is a winner - and a leader. Is Helander?

Did the manager call out Tavernier after his shocker away to Young Boys? Or Helander for falling over his own backside when Feyenoord scored there 2nd in Rotterdam?
One of the things about Katic is that the manager sometimes drops him when he’s on form and playing well. Fair enough he cant complain if he is now dropped After recent performances, but there’s been times when he has been dropped unfairly which surely isn’t good for his morale if others can get away with poor performances unpunished.

Personally, I had never heard of Helander - but, know Simon Deli fairly well having seen him play for Slavia.

Knowing how good Deli is, I expected massive things from Helander. But..............although he has done OK, he is woefully slow. If he was performing the way I was expecting - then there would have been nobody wanting Katic back.

Deli has won things. I was there when he won the Czech League in 2017 (Tore Andre Flo's cousin came on as a sub).

Is that not a moot point really though mate? Simon Deli chose Club Brugge over us. They could offer him Champions League football and I assume in turn more money in wages.

You mean the same Helander who won the league and cup with Malmo?

I just had a look at the stats.

Helander has started 8 premiership games, we've won 7, drawn 1 and conceded 4 goals.

Katic has started 18 premiership games, we've won 12, drawn 3, lost 3 and conceded 14 goals.

Again not what i asked mate. Why is Katic at fault for the mistakes he made, but the manager responsible for Kamberi's brilliance?
because he changed the shape as well as the people and that yielded a winning positioned which was lost because of a individual error, god you are a pedantic one :)

because he changed the shape as well as the people and that yielded a winning positioned which was lost because of a individual error, god you are a pedantic one :)
After he had changed the shape back to the one that wasnt working.

You need to make up your mind here. If he takes credit for altering the shape and changing the game then takes the flak for changing it back and helping cost us the game. There was no reason to make a defensive minded change at that stage, we were 2-1 up controlling the ball and the only team creating chances at the stage. He changed the formation back to the one that meant we had nothing up front and no movement in midfield which just gave the ball back to St Johnstone to allow them to go back to heaving it up the pitch.

Last edited:
If we have players that can’t handle criticism, then they should not be at our club.

Thats not the issue though is it. The issue is he’ll put the boot into some and protect his pets when they have similar gaffs.

Favouritism will never go down well in any work place, Rangers will be no different. If I was Katic I’d be disgusted.

If Helander is the answer to our problems then we are in a worse state than I thought.
A centre half with no pace who turns in instalments? Jesus.

See what's where I think the criticism of Helander is extremely harsh just because he doesn't have pace. I haven't really seen him struggle against pacey opponents other than the second half v Feyenoord and his first introduction to one of the worst plastic pitches in Scotland overall he has done a decent job when called upon and has looked the part.

Goldson and Katic aren't the quickest either btw.

Give Helander a chance it's not like we can write him off after a few months.

Love how a lack of pace instantly means your a shite defender on here David Weir must have been the worst defender we have ever had then Helander isn't slow but he ain't quick either but he makes up for it with his positioning and tackle timing

Of course he is, all the FF experts told you so. The 3m man with serie a experience was the game changer. As soon as he is fit and wins us the league you will see

If, as has been postulated, the players went in the huff because SG gave Alfie extra time off to get married then the dressing room needs to be changed,not the manager. We don't need a team of crybabies, but men who can get over their wee sulks and play football for one of the best midfielders we have ever seen. I hope that Gerrard takes note of the guys who have given up and trade them at the end of the season and I don't care who they are.

Funny how we’ve gone from the four best CBs in the league to one decent but injured CB in short order.

if we had to replace all the guys having a bad game we would need 8 subs. you shouldn't have to sub CB's unless its an injury.
He’s done it before with katic against Hamilton last season and he should’ve done it again on Sunday and we would’ve won the game.

I think we’re seeing Gerrard start to crack under the pressure.

Everyone is to blame apart from himself when in reality his insistence on playing the same tactics with almost the same players week after week is what is harming us.

We aren’t Liverpool, don’t have the same talent at our disposal, so he shouldn’t expect us to play like them.

Warburton was slated for having the same approach.
What that interview said to me was very poor man management of his current crop of players.

Past page or so folk are moving the goalposts on Gerrard. If there's a goal cost it's down to individual error, if a player shows a flash of brilliance then he is hailed. If we change shape and benefit then it's a masterstroke of sorts, we revert shortly after and lose a goal it's the players fault.

I don't have any issues if the criticism is justified. But when it's bordering on abuse then it's out of order. When it's gtf or something similar then there's no need for it. As for not criticizing Tav or Goldson I can't answer for Gerrard but I think it might be because he sees them as the senior players. He doesn't need to tell them they've fucked it because the player themselves know it.

That’s such a flimsy excuse. Are you telling me Katic doesn’t know when he’s fùcked up? Maybe time to come back to reality. He’s got his favourites whom he won’t drop and won’t say a bad word about and those whom he’ll quite happily boot in public. If anything it should be the other way round, senior players are experienced, hardened and can take criticism whereas young players probably need an arm round them.

Until he wins something or at least mounts some sort of challenge for the title everyone should be critical of his methods because until we win something or actually challenge Celtic for the title there will be no proof that they work.

Past page or so folk are moving the goalposts on Gerrard. If there's a goal cost it's down to individual error, if a player shows a flash of brilliance then he is hailed. If we change shape and benefit then it's a masterstroke of sorts, we revert shortly after and lose a goal it's the players fault.

We’ve got star struck fans more concerned about Gerrard’s welfare than that of the club.

Gerrard's made mistakes. Of course he has but he knows the players better than us. It's about man management and who he thinks needs a rocket and who needs an arm around their shoulder. He sees Katic as not being the finished article and the 2 we've mentioned as the senior seasoned professionals. That's my take on it.
Then that’s extremely poor man management.

That’s such a flimsy excuse. Are you telling me Katic doesn’t know when he’s fùcked up? Maybe time to come back to reality. He’s got his favourites whom he won’t drop and won’t say a bad word about and those whom he’ll quite happily boot in public. If anything it should be the other way round, senior players are experienced, hardened and can take criticism whereas young players probably need an arm round them.

Until he wins something or at least mounts some sort of challenge for the title everyone should be critical of his methods because until we win something or actually challenge Celtic for the title there will be no proof that they work.
I agree it wasn't the best answer. I was spaced out my nut when I wrote it. How can I possibly answer for Gerrard? Of course Katic will know he's made a c@nt of it. But I still think getting rid of Gerrard just now would be madness.

Back