1970 League Cup Final

John Candy

Obviously a great day for us. DJ being just 16 and heading the winner. I imagine we got great press at the time, as a boy I don't remember there being the kind of shit we have to put up with today. Or is my memory poor? Was googling earlier and site I was reading said DJ made his debut in that game. That's bollox, right?

Obviously a great day for us. DJ being just 16 and heading the winner. I imagine we got great press at the time, as a boy I don't remember there being the kind of shit we have to put up with today. Or is my memory poor? Was googling earlier and site I was reading said DJ made his debut in that game. That's bollox, right?

I think he played in the semi against Cowdenbeath and we won 2 0. Not sure about that but the final was the first big game for him and the first time Id seen us win a trophy.

I was at his debut game when he scored 2 against Cowdenbeath, 5-0, I think.

Wasn't at the LC final but heard the roar when Rangers scored. We knew the next song would be We Shall Not Be Moved, so had to wait what was sung after the Hibs, the Hearts or the...
It was quite a big deal in the papers the next day, as it was the first trophy we'd won since the 1966 Scottish Cup. No outrage at the songs sung etc.

I was at the game and we thought we were stuffed when the team was announced, no Greig and who's this young laddie?

Was a great day. The bus went round past St Enoch to see if the tradition of showing off the cup was going to be maintained. A bit later home that night.

Stood in the old north enclosure right next to the fence at the Rangers end. Only 10 years old and accompanied by my older brother and his then gf (no pics mind you she must be at least 70 now)
Having been at the 69 SCF 0-4 this was the highlight of my short, at the time, Rangers supporting career

Stood in the old north enclosure right next to the fence at the Rangers end. Only 10 years old and accompanied by my older brother and his then gf (no pics mind you she must be at least 70 now)
Having been at the 69 SCF 0-4 this was the highlight of my short, at the time, Rangers supporting career
I was up above you in the old North stand with my dad. My first old firm game as an 8 year old.

I was up above you in the old North stand with my dad. My first old firm game as an 8 year old.

24th October 1970 . . .
I too was in the old North Stand, Row C pretty much at the half way line. I can still see DJ rising up between McNeill and Craig to put Wee Bud Johnston's cross away in the 40th minute.
DJ always had McNeill in his pocket after that game.
The birth of a LEGEND indeed!

24th October 1970 . . .
I too was in the old North Stand, Row C pretty much at the half way line. I can still see DJ rising up between McNeill and Craig to put Wee Bud Johnston's cross away in the 40th minute.
DJ always had McNeill in his pocket after that game.
The birth of a LEGEND indeed!
He was my second hero after Colin Stein (who also hit the inside of the post that day) And the beasts were terrified of him. If he hadn't started fkn about and wanting to play centre half him and not McCoist would be our top scorer against them.

Game against Cowdenbeath was a league game I think.

That was my memory. Was at both games and if I remember correctly we won 6-0 against Cowdenbeath with DJ netting twice. While it took us a while to win the league we consistently brought through young players with Conn, Parlane, Fyfe, Miller and the unfortunate Iain MacDonald all getting chances under Waddell.

That was my memory. Was at both games and if I remember correctly we won 6-0 against Cowdenbeath with DJ netting twice. While it took us a while to win the league we consistently brought through young players with Conn, Parlane, Fyfe, Miller and the unfortunate Iain MacDonald all getting chances under Waddell.
Do you remember Ian McDougal? Not even sure if that's right spelling. Anyway, he played in an old firm game at Ibrox in 75 that we won 3-0 and I thought he was outstanding and would play for us for years. I've no idea what became of him, you?

Do you remember Ian McDougal? Not even sure if that's right spelling. Anyway, he played in an old firm game at Ibrox in 75 that we won 3-0 and I thought he was outstanding and would play for us for years. I've no idea what became of him, you?

Did he not go to Dundee F.C a couple of years after that, 1977 ish?

He scored a great goal at the piggery around about that time.

The first time I saw Rangers win silverware. Great cross by Willie Johnston and obviously a great header by big Derek. Instant hero status. When Colin Stein hit the inside of the post with a couple of minutes left, this added to the nervous tension on the terraces. When the referee (Tiny Wharton?) blew the whistle to end the game, cue the celebrations

He scored a great goal at the piggery around about that time.

Scored in a 2-1 victory at Parkhead in September 74 (Bomber scored the winner). Pretty sure Jimmy Johnstone was sent off that day.
He was superb in a 3-0 victory at Ibrox in January 75. Tommy McLean scored one and set up the other two in what many people think was his best game for us. Tims never recovered from the defeat which set us up for our first title since 1964.
Can't honestly remember why "Ted" never kicked on and become a regular.
We also had another youngster in the early 70s (Iain McDonald?) who was some talent but suffered a couple of bad injuries.

Not the sharpest tool in the box our DJ, but definitely deserving of legendary status. Far more so than the likes of Mark Hateley.
Fantastic player in his day. Was as good a Centre-half as he was a striker and one of the best headers of a ball that i've seen.

Scored in a 2-1 victory at Parkhead in September 74 (Bomber scored the winner). Pretty sure Jimmy Johnstone was sent off that day.
He was superb in a 3-0 victory at Ibrox in January 75. Tommy McLean scored one and set up the other two in what many people think was his best game for us. Tims never recovered from the defeat which set us up for our first title since 1964.
We also had another youngster in the early 70s (Iain McDonald?) who was some talent but suffered a couple of bad injuries.
I remember Ian McDonald,he got a bad knee injury and ended up at Dundee Utd.

How many of us grew up dreaming we'd be even younger when we scored the winner in a cup final v them?

Remember listening to the game on radio on my parents 'radiogramme' (which took up a good portion of our small living room). 47 years ago (holy fuck!)

Fantastic player in his day. Was as good a Centre-half as he was a striker and one of the best headers of a ball that i've seen.

You are dead on there Sam English.

Less than 3 years after winning the League Cup for us in 1970 as a raw 16 year old Centre Forward, he was lining up at Centre HALF for Scotland at Wembley, in The Home International Championship.

No dream finish for him this time though, England won 1-0.

The first cup final I remember and I had to listen to the radio as my dad was at Hampden having a party. Didn't get to go to a game against them until the 1973 Cup Final.

That day in 1970 was the start of my idolising Derek Johnstone, and I remember having a picture of Ronnie McKinnon lifting the cup above my bed for a few years afterwards.

Trying to remember the first time I saw DJ score a goal and I think it was a midweek Ibrox friendly against Everton. Would that be around 1971??

You are dead on there Sam English.

Less than 3 years after winning the League Cup for us in 1970 as a raw 16 year old Centre Forward, he was lining up at Centre HALF for Scotland at Wembley, in The Home International Championship.

No dream finish for him this time though, England won 1-0.

Scored v Celtic in a League Cup Final aged 16 as centre forward
Scored v Celtic in a Scottish Cup Final aged 17 as substitute.
Won a European Final aged 18 at centre half.

What a bloody player.

The first cup final I remember and I had to listen to the radio as my dad was at Hampden having a party. Didn't get to go to a game against them until the 1973 Cup Final.

That day in 1970 was the start of my idolising Derek Johnstone, and I remember having a picture of Ronnie McKinnon lifting the cup above my bed for a few years afterwards.

Trying to remember the first time I saw DJ score a goal and I think it was a midweek Ibrox friendly against Everton. Would that be around 1971??
I remember big Derek scoring in a midweek friendly against Moscow Dynamo. The game was to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the 1945 game and I think it was not long after the 1970 League Cup Final win.

Was it not Ian McDougal who scored the equaliser at Parkhead ?

It poured down with rain that day. As a small boy I was in the town that afternoon with my transistor radio listening to the game and on the way home back to the Southside the bus passed the huge crowds heading away from Hampden and the streets were a sea of red, white and blue with not a Junglie in sight.

I remember big Derek scoring in a midweek friendly against Moscow Dynamo. The game was to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the 1945 game and I think it was not long after the 1970 League Cup Final win.

I wasn't at that game although I do remember it. The game I'm thinking of I think DJ scored twice and we won 2-1. I'm sure it was Everton but I was kinda young so might have the opposition wrong!

I would have him in Greatest Ever Team instead of Hateley.

He would certainly be in mine based on the players I watched.

Whether he was better than RC Hamilton, Willie Thornton or Jimmy Millar I have no idea.

My old man said Thornton and Millar were the best 2 centre forwards he saw, but most older folk claim the players from before others were born were the best!

Ooh, Big Hateley was some player, that's a tough call. With regard to the press I think there was more Rangers minded press back then but we took, as a nation, our eye of the ball and now have the opposite. Our whole country is rife with not just anti Rangers sentiments, but anti British as well. Thank god for the 'silent' majority.

Back