1970 League Cup Final

My first ever Rangers memory. Had a football card with pic of the pitch and terracing that you could superimpose a transfer of DJ on (by rubbing the back with a coin). Does anyone else remember these, or is the dementia kicking in ;)
Still have piles and piles of these old cards in the house in boxes long before Panini came on the scene and your right you could scratch the back of them to get certain players images on them, Don't think they all had it, I've got tea packets from the 30s with fotball cards in them got them off my late grandfather years ago old typhoon and brooke bond, even have caricatures with Willie Waddell and George young from pipe tobacco, Capstain Full strength had English players in them at one time only have ten of those though.

1973 SC final wasn't live 1977 was the 1st one for 22 years that had live TV coverage

The FA Cup would have been live in England although those that could receive Border TV would have seen in Scotland
Do you know that in 4 years the meeting with that shower lost over 70,000 fans?

My second cup final after the Scottish Cup Final the season before against them.Helped erase some painful memories .

Willie Johnston on fire and topping it all by sitting on the ball....Jim Craig had had enough by that stage.

Punching my dad as I jumped up with arms spread when DJ's header hit the net...also my first sight of tim on tim violence as they fought amongst themselves at their end of the ground.

Soaking wet day and important as the first trophy to come to Ibrox for a few years.

Waddell was the manager but I think Jock Wallace was the one who really got the players pumped up for that one.Anyone else recall stories of Jock hosing the players down with freezing cold water before getting into their strips before kick off or have I got that wrong ?

bit of a long shot here, looking for the photo of DJ scoring that day. The one that sees Williams dive full length taken from behind DJ

Last edited:
bit of a long shot here, looking for the photo of DJ scoring that day. The one that sees Williams dive full length taken from behind DJ

Hope this is what you wanted mate:

ccKK9RT.jpg

mtiqwoN.jpg

We had been second fiddle to Celtic for a few years and my brother and I as kids listened to the match on a large radiogram with my parents, sadly no longer here. I can still remember Johnstone's goal going in. It was a tremendous feeling that we had beaten them to win a cup.:))

Reactions: ao2
We had been second fiddle to Celtic for a few years and my brother and I as kids listened to the match on a large radiogram with my parents, sadly no longer here. I can still remember Johnstone's goal going in. It was a tremendous feeling that we had beaten them to win a cup.:))

David Francie commentating? Those were the days when you only got the last 5 minutes of the first half and the whole of the second on the radio, and definitely no live TV!!!! My main memory of it was of going into school on the Monday and us all raving about this lad of 16 who'd won the cup, the first I could actually remember us winning.

David Francie commentating? Those were the days when you only got the last 5 minutes of the first half and the whole of the second on the radio, and definitely no live TV!!!! My main memory of it was of going into school on the Monday and us all raving about this lad of 16 who'd won the cup, the first I could actually remember us winning.
Samd here..born in 59 and I dont remember kai 66

Scored v Celtic in a League Cup Final aged 16 as centre forward
Scored v Celtic in a Scottish Cup Final aged 17 as substitute.
Won a European Final aged 18 at centre half.

What a bloody player.
Capped as a centre half,midfield,and striker

Obviously a great day for us. DJ being just 16 and heading the winner. I imagine we got great press at the time, as a boy I don't remember there being the kind of shit we have to put up with today. Or is my memory poor? Was googling earlier and site I was reading said DJ made his debut in that game. That's bollox, right?

Murphy is right, he definitely played v Cowdenbeath.

Rangers signed him from my local team Pollok, where he was a real hero. Pretty sure he ended up at Dens.
McDougall was “farmed out” to Pollok and despite being. Midfielder by trade played up front for the Juniors and scored close to 50 goals in that season before returning to the Gers

I remember Ian McDonald,he got a bad knee injury and ended up at Dundee Utd.
He got done by a Hibs player shortly (McEwan?) after his first start with us which if I remember was against a good Ayr team. We won 3-1 ,McDonald scored and made one ,he was unplayable that day. The best first game I have seen from any player who came through our youth system.

I was just a youngster at the time and recall the Retard had carried out a straw poll of other club captains or hacks (can't recall for sure) on the day of the match and they all had the bheasts to win (celtc10 Rangers 0 was the back page banner headline).
On the Monday morning the back page banner was Rangers 1 celtc 0.
A memorable result as we hadn't won anything since the 1966 Scottish cup final.

I remember the match well I was 17 at the time 10 months older than big DJ, it poured with rain that day and me and my mates all went to the game in Crichton st bus which left ftom the Orange hall in Coatbridge.
I think there was a 100,000 at the game?, after final whistle and all the celebrations I lost my mates in the crowd.
Not being savvy with Glasgow then ,I couldn't find my bus so I started to make my way to the city centre, I walked down Cathcart Rd ( big mistake) and reached just about where the new motorway is now and got attacked by 6/7 scum, they hit me with a bottle, luckily I had one of those duffle coats with the fur round the hood which softened the blow, but they got a few kicks into me.
A wee wifie ran across the road and started to batter them with her shopping bag and the wee cowards ran away towards the Gorbals.
2 middle class bears in their big Rover car saw it and stopped and gave me a lift to High st station to get a train back to Coatbridge, they told me to put my scarf and tammy in to my pocket , that was my memory of that LC final, I still shiver at what could have happened to me if it wasn’t for the wee wifie and the 2 Bears

Remember the game well was there & unfortunately we ended up in a barny after the game with a crowd of Tim's from the Drum , only our crowd got lifted , fined ,bla ,bla.
A few years later wee Bud, ( who sat on the ball that day ), told me the players got the day off on the Monday & when they returned on the Tuesday for training, bud gets called to the managers office.
Waddel ,sits there with a huge pile of letters on his desk. ???
He says to Bud " Willie this is not fan mail "
The hoards had been complaining about his ungentlemanly conduct.
Now I know Bud gave Jim Craig a roasting that day but if memorie serves me right it was Jimmy Johnstone he was " taunting " when he sat on the ball.!!!
So many great memories from that day,
Big Ronnie lifting the cup
DJ,s goal.
Colin Stein hitting the post.
And Bud sitting " oan the ba"

Obviously a great day for us. DJ being just 16 and heading the winner. I imagine we got great press at the time, as a boy I don't remember there being the kind of shit we have to put up with today. Or is my memory poor? Was googling earlier and site I was reading said DJ made his debut in that game. That's bollox, right?
It’s strange that I can remember being in the Toby jug after the game and at HT at hamdump they played band of gold. Ffs can’t even remember last weekend

Stood in the old north enclosure right next to the fence at the Rangers end. Only 10 years old and accompanied by my older brother and his then gf (no pics mind you she must be at least 70 now)
Having been at the 69 SCF 0-4 this was the highlight of my short, at the time, Rangers supporting career
That is amazing. Apart from the girlfriend, that is exactly what my experience was, including the bit about being close to the fence (the same fence) with my big brother, and the 69 cup final. I was a bit older though, about 14.

I remember the celebrations in my house, I was to young to appreciate the 1966 scottish cup final win and this was the first time I had saw the Gers getting presented with silverware

Scored v Celtic in a League Cup Final aged 16 as centre forward
Scored v Celtic in a Scottish Cup Final aged 17 as substitute.
Won a European Final aged 18 at centre half.

What a bloody player.

Those are incredible lesser known stats that any player would be proud of. We always play down our players achievements.

A guy from my home village actually showed ne DJs medal from that game at the beginning of the year. Was given to him after a clearout of a storage unit. Mental that something like that goes missing. He did say he was going to contact the club about it. Dont know if he ever did.

Hateley couldn't lace DJ's boots.
That is your opinion.
But you are saying that a guy that played for AC Milan, Monaco,? and England couldn't lace DJ's boots?
Seriously have a look at season 93-94 or 94-5
Ally had broken his leg, and Big Hateley almost won the league for us single handely!
His goal tally was immense.I think we won the treble that particular year?
Loved Dj...but I doubt even he would agree that.

I was at his debut game when he scored 2 against Cowdenbeath, 5-0, I think.

Wasn't at the LC final but heard the roar when Rangers scored. We knew the next song would be We Shall Not Be Moved, so had to wait what was sung after the Hibs, the Hearts or the...
It was quite a big deal in the papers the next day, as it was the first trophy we'd won since the 1966 Scottish Cup. No outrage at the songs sung etc.

My old man took me to see him at a reserve match at Cliftonhill. Thinking back it was obvious he was starting to get a name for himself.

However, no one at that time would realise what an effect he would go on to have.

He got done by a Hibs player shortly (McEwan?) after his first start with us which if I remember was against a good Ayr team. We won 3-1 ,McDonald scored and made one ,he was unplayable that day. The best first game I have seen from any player who came through our youth system.
It was Chris Shevlane that done Iain McDonald with a horrific tackle on him. It was vindictive and can be compared to the one on Ian Durrant at Pittodrie

That is your opinion.
But you are saying that a guy that played for AC Milan, Monaco,? and England couldn't lace DJ's boots?
Ally had broken his leg, and Big Hateley almost won the league for us single handely!
Yes.

That is your opinion.
Like you said, its all about opinions. I think it is a travesty that Hately was in the Rangers greatest XI in front of DJ.

If it's the game I watched on youtube the other night Dalglish opened the scoring for them, McDougall equalised and the original Bomber scored the winner from a corner.

DJ was actually playing midfield that day.
Before my time but he must've been a serious talent.
Defence, midfield, forward and scored from all those positions
Remember the game well was there & unfortunately we ended up in a barny after the game with a crowd of Tim's from the Drum , only our crowd got lifted , fined ,bla ,bla.
A few years later wee Bud, ( who sat on the ball that day ), told me the players got the day off on the Monday & when they returned on the Tuesday for training, bud gets called to the managers office.
Waddel ,sits there with a huge pile of letters on his desk. ???
He says to Bud " Willie this is not fan mail "
The hoards had been complaining about his ungentlemanly conduct.
Now I know Bud gave Jim Craig a roasting that day but if memorie serves me right it was Jimmy Johnstone he was " taunting " when he sat on the ball.!!!
So many great memories from that day,
Big Ronnie lifting the cup
DJ,s goal.
Colin Stein hitting the post.
And Bud sitting " oan the ba"
Remember bud sitting on the ball v Bayern '72 also.
My fave though was when he dinked Provan on the head with the ball before his throw in was lashed in by Alex Miller 1980

Like you said, its all about opinions. I think it is a travesty that Hately was in the Rangers greatest XI in front of DJ.
I also think when that poll was done there was a great leaning towards 9_I-A-R players.
Maybe that was why Hateley was chosen ahead of DJ?
Again ...just my opinion.

If it's the game I watched on youtube the other night Dalglish opened the scoring for them, McDougall equalised and the original Bomber scored the winner from a corner.

DJ was actually playing midfield that day.
Before my time but he must've been a serious talent.
That game was my first at the Piggery, a mentally challenged mate of my old man got us tickets for the Stand, but their part. Before the game my dad said “whatever you do, if we score don’t celebrate”. When Ted and Bomber did score I found it so difficult to sit there emotionless.
The thing that struck me that day was how small and plain their mhidden was compared to the majesty of Ibrox.

yes its bollox

I think Hateley and Johnstone are comparable so neither should be demeaned in support of the other, just a matter of who you liked best between 2 great Rangers.

I think Hateley and Johnstone are comparable so neither should be demeaned in support of the other, just a matter of who you liked best between 2 great Rangers.

Absolutely correct.

I've said on here before, to a great defender of DJ, Alex Venters, it is that because of how versatile he was, it ends up hampering him on how he is judged. And I believe that of John Grieg also.

Most versatile player? Johnstone or Hateley? Derek Johnstone wins hands down for me.

Most fearsome centre forward? It's Hateley, and I will point to two goals he scored at the cesspit as a case in point. Aug 91, when he broke through for the opener. Ne'erday 94, also for that opener.

I don't think DJ would have had the legs to score those goals.

Not a criticism, just pointing out they had different strengths.

As for DJ? There's not many Rangers players I would think would have won three SC badges in different areas of the park, although 76 and 78 were probably more similar.

Absolutely correct.

I've said on here before, to a great defender of DJ, Alex Venters, it is that because of how versatile he was, it ends up hampering him on how he is judged. And I believe that of John Grieg also.

Most versatile player? Johnstone or Hateley? Derek Johnstone wins hands down for me.

Most fearsome centre forward? It's Hateley, and I will point to two goals he scored at the cesspit as a case in point. Aug 91, when he broke through for the opener. Ne'erday 94, also for that opener.

I don't think DJ would have had the legs to score those goals.

Not a criticism, just pointing out they had different strengths.

As for DJ? There's not many Rangers players I would think would have won three SC badges in different areas of the park, although 76 and 78 were probably more similar.
I think part of Johnstone's career is maybe tarnished slightly in that when Greig made him captain, Rangers didn't perform well. I don't know exactly what was going on at Rangers at the time, certainly after we lost the league at Parkhead things went downhill fast, but you have to remember Derek for the good times and there were plenty of those. As you say, there are not too many players who were a class act at centre forward and centre half! Mark was a terrific all round forward, tidy on the ground and an excellent finisher. If he had been available for the match in Marseilles after a harsh sending off v Bruges, we may have made the European Cup final.

Back