22 years ago today

Mental this was our last SCF vs them. A similar result on the 25th would be magic.

You tend to forget what a shower of cheating, diving b@stards O'Neill's sellik sides were.

And yet again Dallas and his cowardly refereeing is to the fore. Hartson receives a yellow, but he should already have been on a yellow for his elbow on Moore.

And feck me, that was impartial commentary froom Peace Process.

As a side note, 61 years today we drew 1-1 with the yahoos in the SC final, which in hindsight was no bad thing as it gave the support at the time, a memorable replay to savour.

Mental this was our last SCF vs them. A similar result on the 25th would be magic.

What a day and what a game. The goal to win it was Roy of the Rovers stuff. At that point we were all resigned to extra time - where I think we'd have run over the top of them as we were by far the fitter team at the end of the game - but winning with the last touch of the ball is up there with my favourite moments of being a Rangers fan.

As an aside, John Hartson would moan on social media that they were always suffering from refereeing decisions. Several times I asked him that if this was the case, and the suggested bias he spoke of was correct, to explain how he wasn't sent off in this game.

He eventually blocked me.

You tend to forget what a shower of cheating, diving b@stards O'Neill's sellik sides were.

And yet again Dallas and his cowardly refereeing is to the fore. Hartson receives a yellow, but he should already have been on a yellow for his elbow on Moore.

And feck me, that was impartial commentary froom Peace Process.

As a side note, 61 years today we drew 1-1 with the yahoos in the SC final, which in hindsight was no bad thing as it gave the support at the time, a memorable replay to savour.

O'neils tactics were brutal. From their point of view it brought them success but he made that Wimbledon team from the 80s look like Brazil 1970.

My happiest memory of my childhood. 11 year old my old man had me and him a ticket but didn’t tell me. I was down my grans before it and my old man phoned her house and asked her to tell me to get him at the Legion. Obviously thinking I didn’t have a ticket I was in no rush to get to the boozer. Fannied about for the ages on route to the boozer to get there and be greeted by my old man who had 2 tickets for us but I’d just held the bus up by ten minutes lol. The rest is history and memories I’ll cherish forever.

If I even get just one day similar with my son when he’s older I’ll be the happiest man alive.

4th May seems to early to host the final game of the season. I know there was a World Cup starting end of May so that was the reason. .

So basically has a season ending cup final ever been held earlier?

We played our final league game of the season the following weekend vs Dunfermline.

4th May seems to early to host the final game of the season. I know there was a World Cup starting end of May so that was the reason. .

Maybe not season ending but has been earlier in fact end of April in the late 1960s Aberdeen v Celtic was 29th April 1967 Dunfermline v Hearts 27th April 1968 Rangers v Celtic 26th April 1969 while Aberdeen v Celtic was 11th April 1970 but they still had League games to be played

For 2002 the final was on 4th May as Hampden had the CL Final on the 15th May - there sill the final League game to play after the final on 12th May

Last edited:
My happiest memory of my childhood. 11 year old my old man had me and him a ticket but didn’t tell me. I was down my grans before it and my old man phoned her house and asked her to tell me to get him at the Legion. Obviously thinking I didn’t have a ticket I was in no rush to get to the boozer. Fannied about for the ages on route to the boozer to get there and be greeted by my old man who had 2 tickets for us but I’d just held the bus up by ten minutes lol. The rest is history and memories I’ll cherish forever.

If I even get just one day similar with my son when he’s older I’ll be the happiest man alive.

Great memory.

We werent at the game but I watched the full LCF in December on tv with my son and we kicked every ball.

Great moments when Tav scored the goal and when the final whistle went.

Just reading that again and you've made an interesting point, one I've never even thought of before.

I've just looked up a couple of random Rangers SC final wins in TCR and sure enough, there were still league games to be played.

Great query.

still my favourite game I've ever attended, scoring a diving header last minute winner in the cup final against them is the best feeling ever.I know many people won't agree but it even tops leipzig semi final as the best I've attended.

The couple of tackles on Caniggia early on sums up what they were all about.

Claudio had them on toast for the 16 / 17 minutes from the start. They couldn't deal with him he was going to be a huge threat that day for them, so in typical thug form smash him out the game.

Peter sent Sutton to the shops for the first goal.

Their only way of beating us that day was from set pieces, they were actually brutal to watch.

That was my first SCF at 13. I was a massive Lovenkrands fan girl & my ticket was right in line with his winner. I remember the Barry Ferguson masterclass and just an overwhelming feeling that they weren’t beating us that day. If they’d have scored 10 we’d have scored 11.

Watched it in the Roxy Bar in Girvan. I've never seen a pub erupt the way it did that day when Lovenkrands scored that header. Bodies and beer everywhere.

Yes has been earlier in fact end of April in the late 1960s Celtic v Aberdeen was 29th April 1967 Dunfermline v Hearts 27th April 1968 Celtic v Rangers 26th April 1969 while Celtic v Aberdeen wa 11th April 1970

For 2002 the final was on 4th May as Hampden had the CL Final on the 15th May - there sill the final League game to play after the final on 12th May

Unless, I'm reading this incorrectly, Cooperblu11 asked if May 4th was the earliest date for a season ending cup final?

In the 67 cup final you mention, they clinched the league, it pains me to say, with a draw at Ibrox on May, 6th.

I'd say you are absolutely spot on with 1968 and the Dunf' v Hearts final.

In 1970, our final game was played on April 18th, which was a week after the SC final.

I think 73/74 is another one. We fulfilled our fixtures, and presumably every other club too, on the 29th April and the SC final, Dundee Utd v that lot was played on May 4th, ironically.

I only know that because in the thread abou Derek Johnstone's early goal in 76, there was a photo of programmes of previous cup finals and I noticed the date of that 74 final.

one of my absolute favourite goals ever. What a moment. Lovenkrands became a huge hero to me that day and I’d defend him for years after it because of that goal. What a day.

Unless, I'm reading this incorrectly, Cooperblu11 asked if May 4th was the earliest date for a season ending cup final?

In the 67 cup final you mention, they clinched the league, it pains me to say, with a draw at Ibrox on May, 6th.

I'd say you are absolutely spot on with 1968 and the Dunf' v Hearts final.

In 1970, our final game was played on April 18th, which was a week after the SC final.

I think 73/74 is another one. We fulfilled our fixtures, and presumably every other club too, on the 29th April and the SC final, Dundee Utd v that lot was played on May 4th, ironically.

I only know that because in the thread abou Derek Johnstone's early goal in 76, there was a photo of programmes of previous cup finals and I noticed the date of that 74 final.
Yeah I changed it bit because the biggest issue you would need to find the original schedule to find the last league game and when the cup final was scheduled for before any games may have played after that which was a common thing in those days

For example that game on 6th May 1967 should be have been played on 3rd Janaury 1967 but was postponed

Yeah I changed it bit because the biggest issue you would need to find the original schedule to find the last league game and when the cup final was scheduled for before any games may have played after that which was a common thing in those days

For example that game on 6th May 1967 should be have been played on 3rd Janaury 1967 but was postponed

The query looked innocuous to start with, and I reckon at times, subconsciously we tend to think the SC final is the last game of the season and as it so happens, it very rarely has been.

The SC finals of seasons, 1991/92 and 93, look certainly as season ending games, but are later than the May 4th deadline.

In fact, thinking about it, 1968 doesn't fit either. The yahoos had to travel to East End Park on the following Wednesday to officially clinch the title.

I think 73/74 is maybe a candidate.

The query looked innocuous to start with, and I reckon at times, subconsciously we tend to think the SC final is the last game of the season and as it so happens, it very rarely has been.

The SC finals of seasons, 1991/92 and 93, look certainly as season ending games, but are later than the May 4th deadline.

In fact, thinking about it, 1968 doesn't fit either. The yahoos had to travel to East End Park on the following Wednesday to officially clinch the title.

I think 73/74 is maybe a candidate.
I think modern day scheduling sees it as the season ending game well in Scotland

You are right about 1968 but both them and Hearts played their final league games after the final presume that was their league game that day given league games were also played on cup final day

I think modern day scheduling sees it as the season ending game well in Scotland

You are right about 1968 but both them and Hearts played their final league games after the final presume that was their league game that day given league games were also played on cup final day

Pretty sure us losing to Aberdeen, to inflict our only league loss of the season was played on that cup final day too.

It has certainly been a query to perk you up of a Saturday morning.

Was about 3 rows in front of Sir Walter that day. Don't think even he minded a half cut idiot in a jester hat cuddling him at the winner. :))

Knew we were going to win that day. Always remember when Barry Ferguson hit the post, there was still plenty time to get 2 goals.

Also how the f@@k did Hartson and Balde stay on the park for 90 minutes?

Was about 3 rows in front of Sir Walter that day. Don't think even he minded a half cut idiot in a jester hat cuddling him at the winner. :))

Knew we were going to win that day. Always remember when Barry Ferguson hit the post, there was still plenty time to get 2 goals.

Simple answer. Hugh Dallas.

Rangers should have had a penalty a few minutes before the last minute winner , but again, Dallas bottled it.

Rangers should have had a penalty a few minutes before the last minute winner , but again, Dallas bottled it.

He had a history of reneging on his duties when it came to awarding Rangers penalties in SC finals.

The most blatant being Ritchie's last minute tackle on Gazza in the 1996 final, right on h/t.

You can actually rumble his thinking. Rangers are a goal up, so I can't punish Hearts any further. When it comes to cheating, Dallas was up there (or down) with the present bunch of cheating rats in black.

Maybe not season ending but has been earlier in fact end of April in the late 1960s Aberdeen v Celtic was 29th April 1967 Dunfermline v Hearts 27th April 1968 Rangers v Celtic 26th April 1969 while Aberdeen v Celtic was 11th April 1970 but they still had League games to be played

The FA Cup Final was on the same day at the same time. Probably because of the World Cup as well. Arsenal - Chelsea, I'm sure.

The FA Cup Final was on the same day at the same time. Probably because of the World Cup as well. Arsenal - Chelsea, I'm sure.
It was but like us still had 1 more round of Premier League to play however that was the reason I posted for our game been the 4th May

Back