40 years of Gregory's Girl

Watched it few weeks ago first time in over 30 odd years great film took me back to when I was a kid

Cumbernauld wasnt a bad looking place then.
A midden nowadays.
The town centre is a new towns equivalent of the shandwick centre in easterhouse.
Try and spot one thats not on benefits or looks healthy.

Ten years ago was in USA and was going through Netflix, and Gregory's Girl was available, so I watched it. They actually dubbed themselves to sound less Scottish and the use of words differed. There was a scene where Gregory needed a plaster, but was dubbed "a Band-Aid" as Americans use of the word plaster is different to ours.

Never seen it and i was a young guy when it came out, seen clips though. Don't feel i missed out.

I watched it again the other day on iplayer. I think it's hilarious. Why are they 2 cunts looking at the nude girl wearing JCB jackets though? Madness.

When I worked in Bellahouston sports centre in the early eighties Clare Grogan was a regular attendee, as was Robert Prytz with his girlfriend.

Sorry mate but nobody from Kilsyth (poor mans Cumbernauld) can have a go at Cumbernauld.
Have you been in the abronhill shopping precinct, the land that time forgot.
What a fucking depressing place carbrain, abronhill etc.
Lets go up the toony to get even more deppressed.
Scooters, obesity, joggies , walking sticks( thats folk in their 30s floating about the antonine centre/ auld bit.

Have you been in the abronhill shopping precinct, the land that time forgot.
What a fucking depressing place carbrain, abronhill etc.
Lets go up the toony to get even more deppressed.
Scooters, obesity, joggies , walking sticks( thats folk in their 30s floating about the antonine centre/ auld bit.

That applies to every Scottish town centre or high street.

Yer mothers been aksing for you, you rememeber your mother dont you ?

Go on piss off act your age away and vandalize some phone boxs.

Im in love, feels amazing, about an hour or so, who is it ? someone in the fitba team.....oh really..

It's a good film. Like Local Hero, any good Scottish film tends to get over rated by Scots for some reason to be a great film. I like Rob Roy but don't know if it was a Scottish production, that is a great film. Maybe there are some more I have forgotten about.

Guy I worked with lived in the house they shot the scene in the conservatory. They plunked about a ton of compost on his drive and after filming asked him if he wanted it then it was his.

It's a good film. Like Local Hero, any good Scottish film tends to get over rated by Scots for some reason to be a great film. I like Rob Roy but don't know if it was a Scottish production, that is a great film. Maybe there are some more I have forgotten about.
Local Hero is not overrated. Stone cold classic. Film critic Mark Kermode has it as one of the greatest films of all time. Mind you he's probably not quite got your movie insight but still.

EDIT - wrong info

She wasn’t very pleased with the BBC.

IMG_5950.JPG.66880010b40888e881194906f98a0ab6.JPG

Last edited:
Back