43 minutes in Broons backroom documentry

Brown not starting McCoist at Euro 96 despite Ally having a good season with us along with not taking him to world cup in France as he felt McCoist was only going there for the party.

No doubt Brown played a part in Roxburgh's decision to drop Ally at Italia 90 prior to the Costa Rica game. Ally and Mo Johnston scored the goals that got Scotland there plus at club level the two of them scored about 40 goals between themselves for us in a championship winning side.

Yet he took shite like Scott Booth and Simon Donnelly to France

Along with his mentor, Roxburgh, and Jovial Jum McLean, he completes a trio of highly respected - at the SFA and UEFA - coaches and analysts with statistically proven records of achievement...

all humourless pricks.
It's unfair to even suggest that Jim McLean was on a level with those two, don't you think? His achievements have to define him as one of the greats in the game, I'd imagine; Roxburgh and Brown achieved nothing in comparison to him.

exscotland-manager-craig-brown-gets-a-kiss-off-his-young-girlfriend-picture-id651890340

To me that's just wrong.
She looks like she could pass for his granddaughter for %^*& sake.
I dont know if he has a daughter or not , but if he has , what would she think about him giving it to someone younger than her.
Each to their own I suppose , but it gives me the creeps.

Not binning Brown in 98 was a reason why it’s taken until tomorrow to play in a tournament again.
One of them.

I think another is that Scottish football is still far too reliant on physicality than skill - and referees don't help with that either.

If refs refereed the same as European ones - then we may improve.

43 minutes in Broon’s back room

was I the only one expecting Broonaldo 0.9 at his maws showing off his LEGO Hoose and Death Star LEGO collection?

The broon brothers and roxburgh ? A contribution of Scottish football best forgotten.
Got away with it and messed it all up, sadly lacking in ability.

One of them.

I think another is that Scottish football is still far too reliant on physicality than skill - and referees don't help with that either.

If refs refereed the same as European ones - then we may improve.
First thing I would eradicate is no booking for the "first foul"; from there a tougher approach to fouls would possibly follow. Good post.

I remember we played England home and away. England won 2 0 at Hampden, then we went to Wembley, were winning 1 0 but Brown kept it tight. He preferred a 1 0 victory than pushing for another goal where we might get caught on the break. This was more about him than the team.

I remember we played England home and away. England won 2 0 at Hampden, then we went to Wembley, were winning 1 0 but Brown kept it tight. He preferred a 1 0 victory than pushing for another goal where we might get caught on the break. This was more about him than the team.
Subbed McCann in that game who was causing them issues. All the subs were like for like - no let’s put on another attacker to try get through. He was an absolute crap manager and I’ve no idea how he took us to a World Cup. Nothing was good about him from tactics and player selections!

It's unfair to even suggest that Jim McLean was on a level with those two, don't you think? His achievements have to define him as one of the greats in the game, I'd imagine; Roxburgh and Brown achieved nothing in comparison to him.
Agreed.

I was more talking about their personalities, very similar in the authoritarian, schoolteacherly approach.

(Don't think Clark gets much fun out of his job, either.)

Along with his mentor, Roxburgh, and Jovial Jum McLean, he completes a trio of highly respected - at the SFA and UEFA - coaches and analysts with statistically proven records of achievement...

all humourless pricks.
Don't think you can or should associate McLean with those other two idiots. I don't think Jim was particularly popular with the SFA and he was a relatively successful manager unlike the other two.

Don't think you can or should associate McLean with those other two idiots. I don't think Jim was particularly popular with the SFA and he was a relatively successful manager unlike the other two.
Agreed.

I was more talking about their personalities, very similar in the authoritarian, schoolteacherly approach.

(Don't think Clark gets much fun out of his job, either.)
Yes, it was a daft comparison.

Even before the game at Hampdump (Which was a Glasgow Council Jolly - as they snapped up all the tickets - all the boring old fart could talk about was Wembley.

Gave it as far as, Broon was praising the Tartan Army "The thing about Scotland supporters is there is never any damage, there is never any violence..........." Maybe not damage or violence in the "riot" category but plenty of antics of the Tartan Army not publicised in the SMSM. And certainly plenty of kilt lifting. And plenty of p!shing in the streets.

I'll never forget him trotting out the "bigger population" excuse after Morocco gubbed us, only for him to deny having said it shortly afterwards. Him getting to where he got in the game is a bigger mystery to me than even the fact that Michael Lustig (whom I watched against Spain today) got a gig as a professional footballer.

I was at a sportsman dinner.
Think half the crowd was in the toilet-bar or out for a smoke 5 mins into his speech.
I could’ve done listening to him this morning at 1-30 when I was struggling to sleep.

What can you say about a manager who once started with SIX centre halves in his team? At home.

One of my mates was doing his coaching badges at Inverclyde and they had 2 sessions with Brown. The first one consisted of a 1 hour video containing his favourite throw ins. The second? A video of Craig showing his favourite ever kick offs.
You are joking aren’t you? It’s hard to tell with him!

An absolute buffoon.
Only in Scotland would he make a living out of the game.
The sort of chancer who has held Scottish football back for decades.

On his off field activities, was our own Emma Dodds not romantically linked with him at one stage or am I mistaken?

The Largs Mafia as they were known killed the beautiful game in this country with their "don't loose at all costs" mentality.

Slightly unfair - if I remember right, a cracking save from Seaman denied a certain equaliser from Christian Dailly. We played well that night, no question.

Back