5 Scots Have Scored In Serie A

Joe Baker might well have been the first Scottish accent to score in Serie A, though technically he was born in England, then moved to Scotland at 6 weeks old.

Tried googling it to see if there was any players from a few decades ago - i had heard of Giovanni Moscardini who was born and grew up in Scotland but later played for Italy and scored for them in the 1920s. He played for Lucchese and Pisa but it seems neither were in Serie A at the time.

Anyway another player of interest that came up even if he didnt score in Italy was William Aitken who played for us 1918-1919 then went onto manage Juventus 10 years later (would have played for them too if foreign players weren't banned then). Not only that we had another player in the 1920s called Billy Chalmers who went on to manage Juve too! Not sure if this is common knowledge but i'd never heard of them before and that is quite a link to one of the giants of world football.

Tried googling it to see if there was any players from a few decades ago - i had heard of Giovanni Moscardini who was born and grew up in Scotland but later played for Italy and scored for them in the 1920s. He played for Lucchese and Pisa but it seems neither were in Serie A at the time.

Anyway another player of interest that came up even if he didnt score in Italy was William Aitken who played for us 1918-1919 then went onto manage Juventus 10 years later (would have played for them too if foreign players weren't banned then). Not only that we had another player in the 1920s called Billy Chalmers who went on to manage Juve too! Not sure if this is common knowledge but i'd never heard of them before and that is quite a link to one of the giants of world football.
During the AFCON final I was on Wikipedia and noticed Egypt had an early Scottish Manager. He played for Rangers during the war as a guest but I always think their lives must have been pretty interesting to start off here and end up in places like Egypt and Iceland way back then.

Reactions: ozo
In the 19th Century the Hendersons and the McGinns would’ve been rival travelling circus families

Back