A better win than we will get credit for

I’m not linking it nor looking at it but I follow Rangers on Apple News and a Daily Reb headline from an hour ago is “Rangers win branded lucky after Willem II victory”

Is it hurting ye much?:))

Make no mistake, Willem II are a very good team. Not that you'll see that being reported anywhere in this country

The scoreline makes it look like a walk in the park but it was anything but. Special saves at crucial times from McGregor gave us the platform, along with Ryan Kent being on a different level from anyone else on the park.

How refreshing it was to play against a team who were not interested in kicking us off the park.
I reckon they would easily be in the top 3 in Scotland.

Well done Rangers, very clinical and a classic Euro away performance.

They beat the top two teams in the league, Ajax & AZ, away last season. They also beat PSV at home.

No mean feat.

And then they came up against THE RANGERS ;)

We used to go and play proper shite teams and lose. This was a regular occurrence even through our best domestic days and a lot of our history.

To go away in Europe and score 4 goals anywhere is excellent never mind in Holland.

The media will play it down the way they always do when comes to us but this is one of the best results ever for a scottish team in Europe.

Well, 1.0 at Riga ?

They need something to clutch at :))

I couldn't understand the comments about us struggling, potentially going out and it maybe being a good thing. Some were making Willem out to be Ajax level.

Willem II are decent, they looked dangerous at times but that was more down to our doing than their quality. I thought we started slowly and the gaps in midfield were exploited. They created a few chances that you'd expect a good team to bury.

Other than that we were comfortable, we created chances, we punished their mistakes. 2-0 and I didn't see them getting back in the game, said so in the match thread. Second half was a controlled, disciplined, professional performance.

4-0 in Europe, away from home is a great result irrespective of the opposition. Just look how the bheggars scraped past a pub side from Latvia, Tottenham weren't exactly comfortable in Macedonia.

They could easily have scored 4 last night. I think we shouldn’t get complacent because of the result and imagine our defence is so good because of the recent run of clean sheets. What WAS good about last night was McGregor and how clinical we were in front of goal albeit looked like Warburton was their manager.

Defensively they were awful. It was men against boys at corners. Our defence was a bit shaky at times and we got away with a couple of chances they had. We still deserved the win though.

I couldnae care less how Rangers win. They should have, they could have etc. Rangers won that's all that matters.

Winning 4-0 away from home in Holland in a European Competition deserves plaudits , that team had to be good enough to qualify for Europe in the first place , regardless of how the game went or could have gone.

Back