A case for the management tonight

Glasgow Rangers (Sco)

The Bassey transfer has proven a major issue IMO……but it was money a club like Rangers just can’t refuse now.

When GVB came in, the 1st game he watched was the hampden shambles against hibs. Goals all caused in the left had channel between Balogun and Barasic. That issue only lessened when Bassey turned into superman in the tail end of the season.

So we are back to square one again and he has only been given the opportunity to fix it in the last week with Ridvan and BD.

Barasic would be gone if Bassey hadn’t seen sold, the management have no confidence in him hence the need to bring in the 3 central defender (none of whom were left footed)

He needs time to get this new defence bedded.

Kent was a huge miss for us tonight

In regards to the forward line, we had one fit striker tonight. There will be games made for Colack and some better suited for Alfie. It’s fair to say tonight was better suited for AM

Still need to see Davies get in and settled.

Losing bassey is a blow and a half but we simply had no other option.

Borna is worrying me. Thought the West Ham game we were seeing him back but don’t want that malaise going into new season.

He went to contain and squeeze a result, the tactics were reasonable and understandable.

We missed Kent, no doubt about it but f*ck me, Borna, Jack, Kamara, Matondo and Sands had terrible games, absolutely terrible.

We need to find a settled back 4, I think we will see Davies and Yilmaz slot in now.

Is that you Gio? Last season Lundstram drove us forward in midfield, fell into back 3 when opposition had the ball. Today in back 3/5 until too late. Midfield just passed the buck.
Shocking tactics, safety 1st, cross field passes no penetration. They played a back 5 with 3 narrow midfielders, so we had to go wide to get behind them. Barely tried that.
Last season at the knock out stage under GvB, we were poor away from home (Dortmund excluded).

They were first to the ball for the majority of the second half, which is inexcusable.

They let us have lots of the ball for the first twenty minutes or so, then they started sizing us up and began breaking up play with persistent niggly fouls. Once the ref never clamped down on it they gained further confidence from that and started being first to it.

Ryan Jack should’ve been subbed at HT. And you could make a case that Matondo should’ve been hooked not long after.

Lots for Gio to sort out for the return leg.

The only case for the manager tonight is that we started the game without at least 4 first team starters. Yilmaz and Davies improve the defence and Yilmaz gives us an attacking option on the left. Kent, for all that he blows hot and cold, is a better player than either of the 2 we had as wide attackers. Morelos v Colak isnt even a contest.

But we're still short of a genuine number 1 keeper, a box to box midfielder, a creative midfielder and a quality right sided inside forward. Of the team that started tonight, the only obvious ones who'd keep their place in a strongest 11 are Goldson, Tav and Lundstram.

We still need a lot of work in key areas.

He got his tactics completely wrong tonight but the worst thing was he didn’t change things until it was too late, everyone in the stadium could see he needed to change things at half time

We have key injuries and have a number of new players that have not had time to settle but he also got things badly wrong tonight

None of that explains the ridiculously negative tactics or lack of desire to change it when it was clearly going wrong.

Clutching at straws at best.
It felt like they decided to hang on to one nil or maybe sneak a draw. Which was a baffling decision

He got his tactics completely wrong tonight but the worst thing was he didn’t change things until it was too late, everyone in the stadium could see he needed to change things at half time

We have key injuries and have a number of new players that have not had time to settle but he also got things badly wrong tonight

Everyone bar Gio would have changed that second half line up. It just wasn't working.

The Bassey transfer has proven a major issue IMO……but it was money a club like Rangers just can’t refuse now.

When GVB came in, the 1st game he watched was the hampden shambles against hibs. Goals all caused in the left had channel between Balogun and Barasic. That issue only lessened when Bassey turned into superman in the tail end of the season.

So we are back to square one again and he has only been given the opportunity to fix it in the last week with Ridvan and BD.

Barasic would be gone if Bassey hadn’t seen sold, the management have no confidence in him hence the need to bring in the 3 central defender (none of whom were left footed)

In regards to the forward line, we had one fit striker tonight. There will be games made for Colack and some better suited for Alfie. It’s fair to say tonight was better suited for AM
I was brought up watching Wingers that could deliver to Strikers in the Box, even 16 years of age ones, that then became Rangers Legends.

PS: I would punt Kent.

Not absolving the manager from things tonoight but many individuals put in some absolute shit performances tonight. A lot more than can be put down to selection/formation/tactics I think.

A collective fuck-up.

He playing 3 at the back because we don’t have a left footed c/h and Barasic is shot….

The idea that you need a left footed centre back is absolute bollocks.

It's like saying one of your two centre mids must be left footed as well.

Look at some of the best centre back pairings in recent years...Puyol & Pique, Ramos & Pepe, Vidic & Ferdinand. All right footed.

Sadly, there are 100 other things wrong with the performance tonight beyond what is mentioned in the OP. The management got it wrong from the start tonight and the lack of subs until it was too late and general game management second half was infuriating.

You can point to bad luck around tonight (no kent/morelos, the penalty going against us) but the way we played tonight was actually alarming in how inept, incompetent and unprepared we were. GvB has to take his share of blame for that, it’s a pretty indefensible night from the management to the players to be honest, and there’s no need to make excuses for them.

There is no defence of Gio tonight - he just got it badly wrong and had zero idea what to do. It wasn't down to not having the players it was about not being able to use them. Not being able to change anything during the game other than make late subs, which seems to be his only solution at any point.

He had a formation that worked in several games last season. He bricked it tonight and tried to player super defensive but clearly didn't even set in stone where everyone should be played.

Purely bad management and he needs to pull the finger out.

3 at the back was the coaching staff overthinking things and making a mess of it.
The line up was fine. Should have had 3 in midfield.

He went to contain and squeeze a result, the tactics were reasonable and understandable.

We missed Kent, no doubt about it but f*ck me, Borna, Jack, Kamara, Matondo and Sands had terrible games, absolutely terrible.

We need to find a settled back 4, I think we will see Davies and Yilmaz slot in now.

Was no different the approach to the Europa run with the away legs trying to keep it tight and turn them over at Ibrox but you have to change it when it's clearly not working. He persisted with it for 90 minutes which made it worse for me and showed them far too much respect.

Why didn’t he bring Arfield on who’s got a habit of pulling us out do the shit when we need it.

His forward runs would have at least offered something different rather than us taking 3 passes to get it wide to then hit their defender with the cross.

Look at some of the best centre back pairings in recent years...Puyol & Pique, Ramos & Pepe, Vidic & Ferdinand. All right footed.
With the greatest respect, they are all players in a different level to what we have.

You seen how uncomfortable sands looked tonight?

I was brought up watching Wingers that could deliver to Strikers in the Box, even 16 years of age ones, that then became Rangers Legends.

PS: I would punt Kent and give 16 year old Zak Lovelace a chance. LOL

Gio had a stinker tonight. He clearly felt, we could anhilliate them at Ibrox and played to simply be in the match coming home. However. Gio cant also be blamed for the abhorrent performances of certain individuals. Particularly Kamara, Jack and Barisic. Neither can he be blamed for Ben Davies, inexplicably trying to control a ball while side on to it, under no pressure.

So i have some sympathy with Gio, but there was a lot he carries the can for tonight.

PS: I would punt Kent.
Kent will be asking to bail, if we get papped out in this round.
Probably Alfredo as well.
*Shudders at the thought of a team without those 2*

Sit in, contain and hope for a draw or 1-0 loss. That’s what outcome gio was after today. We need to start believing we are better than teams and impose our style of play. All I saw tonight was match up against opponents and nullify. Matondo will never be utilised in a 541. Colak is not Morelos and cannot occupy defences on his own. Second leg we go 4231with Tillman Kent and one other behind a half fit Alfie.

Gio was a third goal away from standing in a bush trying to argue his tactics. It was that bad. Do I think we can turn it round - course I do...

Yup, I mean the best centre half in the world is right footed but plays on the left hand side of defence

I’m certain that Gio will be looking at his players and seeing who he can trust now and who he can’t.

I can half see your argument or what your getting at OP, but at the end of the day he got it badly wrong. He totally underestimated the opponents tonight and if we go down the same road next week then it will be almost unforgivable.

Yilmaz looks good, but a cameo on a shite night will not determine how good or bad he is and Davies will be solid enough, but again tonight won’t determine his place. Gio needs to freshen up, clear out the dross and the guys who can’t get up for the big games. Tonight was a terrible night that should be left behind in Belgium. Saturday is a huge game for morale, which isn’t a good sign so early in the season, and Next week will be a show of what Gios future looks like as a Rangers manager already. That’s how bad tonight’s result was.

Defense is shambolic and up front was non existent.

Sit in, contain and hope for a draw or 1-0 loss. That’s what outcome gio was after today. We need to start believing we are better than teams and impose our style of play. All I saw tonight was match up against opponents and nullify. Matondo will never be utilised in a 541. Colak is not Morelos and cannot occupy defences on his own. Second leg we go 4231with Tillman Kent and one other behind a half fit Alfie.
Colak cannot occupy defenders, I agree

His setup had the players even looking lost, playing too many out of position.
Unfortunately 3 or 4 more games like that and he will start to feel the heat from the fans in the stands.
A European cup final loss will only give him so much time.
We don’t need 5 at the back and 2 defensive midfield players unless it’s against a Madrid or the likes.

Back