A case for the management tonight

The only case for the manager tonight is that we started the game without at least 4 first team starters. Yilmaz and Davies improve the defence and Yilmaz gives us an attacking option on the left. Kent, for all that he blows hot and cold, is a better player than either of the 2 we had as wide attackers. Morelos v Colak isnt even a contest.

But we're still short of a genuine number 1 keeper, a box to box midfielder, a creative midfielder and a quality right sided inside forward. Of the team that started tonight, the only obvious ones who'd keep their place in a strongest 11 are Goldson, Tav and Lundstram.

We still need a lot of work in key areas.
Could Alex Lowry be the creative midfielder

I posted in the thread asking for questions for the presser what is Gio doing to me and sure the High in Seville isn’t followed by the inevitable low.

Obviously the answer is he wasn’t doing nearly enough. We beat ourselves last night. Attitude and application were nowhere near last seasons standards.

No tactics in the world going to make up for the lack of effort from the players.

How to you figure that one out.
Two best players
Always been rumours of teams sniffing around them.
Both haven't signed new contracts.
Both can sign precontracts with other clubs in January.
Both would have watched their teammates embarrassed by an average side.
Both, I would confidently assume see themselves as CL players.
Both would see themselves as EPL level players.
Hopefully they sign on, but wouldn't be totally shocked if neither signs on.

The Bassey transfer has proven a major issue IMO……but it was money a club like Rangers just can’t refuse now.

When GVB came in, the 1st game he watched was the hampden shambles against hibs. Goals all caused in the left had channel between Balogun and Barasic. That issue only lessened when Bassey turned into superman in the tail end of the season.

So we are back to square one again and he has only been given the opportunity to fix it in the last week with Ridvan and BD.

Barasic would be gone if Bassey hadn’t seen sold, the management have no confidence in him hence the need to bring in the 3 central defender (none of whom were left footed)

He needs time to get this new defence bedded.

Kent was a huge miss for us tonight

In regards to the forward line, we had one fit striker tonight. There will be games made for Colack and some better suited for Alfie. It’s fair to say tonight was better suited for AM
We were abjectly poor tonight, from the manager down there were no positives, none at all.
We're looking at a carbon copy of the start to last season. We lost last night to a very average side and we lost deservedly, in fact we are extremely fortunate that the tie isn't over at the halfway stage.
As I said, no positives at all. No point in slating individuals at this stage because we'd be here forever.

We start games incredibly slow under Gio. Almost like he is telling the players to ‘feel their way into the game’. We don’t threaten the GK early enough, we play walking football. Gio was criticised in Holland for this style of play. No idea what he is trying with this but it’s difficult to get behind when 95% of time the defenders are just playing it across the back line.

Tactics and team set up were a shambles from the start.Worse than that he did nothing to change it. When he brought Wright on he should also have brought on Sakala and took Colak off ad moved Tillman to a false 9 that would have given them something to worry about. It was clear they were not comfortable with Wright running at them and Sakala would have done the same

The only case for the manager tonight is that we started the game without at least 4 first team starters. Yilmaz and Davies improve the defence and Yilmaz gives us an attacking option on the left. Kent, for all that he blows hot and cold, is a better player than either of the 2 we had as wide attackers. Morelos v Colak isnt even a contest.

But we're still short of a genuine number 1 keeper, a box to box midfielder, a creative midfielder and a quality right sided inside forward. Of the team that started tonight, the only obvious ones who'd keep their place in a strongest 11 are Goldson, Tav and Lundstram.

We still need a lot of work in key areas.

The keeper situation is on the manager. A new number 1 was a must. Still not signed that quality CM we require.

We are a number of positions (quality) short.

As for the set up, tactics, formation and changes last night from the management team - dreadful.

The Bassey transfer has proven a major issue IMO……but it was money a club like Rangers just can’t refuse now.

When GVB came in, the 1st game he watched was the hampden shambles against hibs. Goals all caused in the left had channel between Balogun and Barasic. That issue only lessened when Bassey turned into superman in the tail end of the season.

So we are back to square one again and he has only been given the opportunity to fix it in the last week with Ridvan and BD.

Barasic would be gone if Bassey hadn’t seen sold, the management have no confidence in him hence the need to bring in the 3 central defender (none of whom were left footed)

He needs time to get this new defence bedded.

Kent was a huge miss for us tonight

In regards to the forward line, we had one fit striker tonight. There will be games made for Colack and some better suited for Alfie. It’s fair to say tonight was better suited for AM
Its quite straight forward , starting on Saturday we need an all out attacking performance with a good result and carry it on to Tuesday and if it is two bad results out of these games the support will turn on the players which will be sad but inevitable.

Gio had a stinker tonight. He clearly felt, we could anhilliate them at Ibrox and played to simply be in the match coming home. However. Gio cant also be blamed for the abhorrent performances of certain individuals. Particularly Kamara, Jack and Barisic. Neither can he be blamed for Ben Davies, inexplicably trying to control a ball while side on to it, under no pressure.

So i have some sympathy with Gio, but there was a lot he carries the can for tonight.
Of course he can be blamed for poor performances, we could see after 5 minutes that Borna and Jack were a million miles off it and should have been subbed.

Numerous people were asking for Borna to be removed a mile before he danced around the ball and let them in for the 1st, it was clear as day that he was going to cost us.

this management chase or react to so many games that aren’t going right it’s actually a joke
This is what worries me the most, we seem to set up or have the wrong attitude in so many games. Then we're always in the position of having to chase a game. We actually did really well last season to turn so many games round, and it continued again on Saturday, and we have to try and turn around another game next week.

Look across the city and I pains me to see them basically grind teams down with pure fitness and desire from the off. A better team can easy pick them off, but against 90% of the league they generally have easy games, and 5 subs helps that even more.

Need to get this sorted asap

We were abjectly poor tonight, from the manager down there were no positives, none at all.
We're looking at a carbon copy of the start to last season. We lost last night to a very average side and we lost deservedly, in fact we are extremely fortunate that the tie isn't over at the halfway stage.
As I said, no positives at all. No point in slating individuals at this stage because we'd be here forever.
The only positive is we are unlikely to play as badly again.

This was always a huge risk. Getting players up for a game like this mentally after the heroics of last season was always going to be tough.

We were wandering along in parallel world the press conference made me nervous but it was way worse than I expected.

Football is a game of highs and lows. Following Seville there was always going to be a challenge to maintain levels against what would be perceived as a lesser team.

We weren’t up for that challenge at any level of the club. Not good enough.

Back