A letter from James Tavernier to the fanbase

Other than the captain writing a letter to the fans saying it has nothing to do with BLM/CRT.

How much more decoupled would you like it?

Folk who find it non inclusive might need to reflect on why a symbol the players are showing against racism and nothing to do with a political movement annoys them so much.
It doesn't annoy me.

I've already said I think yesterday was a victory for the clubs engagement strategy via Fan/New Media.

I personally don't particularly like the gesture because it has connotations with a methodology that I believe is proving to be more hurtful than helpful for anti-racism cause.

Whilst I'm glad the club issued the letter, I think the fact that they had to makes the argument self-evident.

It doesn't annoy me.

I've already said I think yesterday was a victory for the clubs engagement strategy via Fan/New Media.

I personally don't particularly like the gesture because it has connotations with a methodology that I believe is proving to be more hurtful than helpful for anti-racism cause.

Whilst I'm glad the club issued the letter, I think the fact that they had to makes the argument self-evident.
Not really. You genuinely believe that Goldson, Kamara, Tav etc are Marxists, or that people among our support believe that to be the case and need it explained to them that they aren't?

I'm sure this will not have been a decision that the players have made lightly given the ridiculous amount of racist abuse they have all received alongside the decision to stand last season.

If the players who have been on the receiving end of racist abuse feel this is the best way to tackle that then I'm fully behind them.

Not really. You genuinely believe that Goldson, Kamara, Tav etc are Marxists, or that people among our support believe that to be the case and need it explained to them that they aren't?

I genuinely have not mentioned Marx during this whole debate.

And for the record, no I don't believe the players that you mentioned are that way inclined, politically.

It doesn't annoy me.

We’re trying to get ahead of the minority that may embarrass the club - and hopefully give them pause for thought.

It’s all a little ‘reds under the bed’ for me; people see what they want.

Weird that folk haven't figured out that you can disagree with something but still keep your fùcking trap shut for 30 seconds at the same time.
But what is there to disagree with everyone knows why the players are doing it only wish we did more to stamp it out.

We’re trying to get ahead of the minority that may embarrass the club - and hopefully give them pause for thought.

It’s all a little ‘reds under the bed’ for me; people see what they want.
I'll try to be clear.

I don't like the gesture, I simply have a personal preference for something that I feel is not as politically charged.

I'm glad there was fan engagement today, hopefully it stops a distasteful and frankly embarrassing spectacle tomorrow.

I'm not and never have been in favour of booing or racism.

I genuinely have not mentioned Marx during this whole debate.

And for the record, no I don't believe the players that you mentioned are that way inclined, politically.
So, why would they 'self evidentally' need to bring out a statement for something that is obvious to the vast majority of us? What other motivation could their be for this that confuses a certain minority?

I'll try to be clear.

I don't like the gesture, I simply have a personal preference for something that I feel is not as politically charged.

I'm glad there was fan engagement today, hopefully it stops a distasteful and frankly embarrassing spectacle tomorrow.

How is it politically charged ?

I've saw lunatics on Twitter claim Kenny Miller's right hand aloft goal celebrations was the "Red Hand of Ulster" even though he did the same celebration when he scored his handful of goals for that lot. People see what they want to see simply to back up their thoughts.

Our player aren't the only ones to come out and explicitly say the gesture isn't political and yet there seems to be a sizeable chunk of people who simply refuse to believe them.

Why can't they be given the benefit of the doubt ?

So, why would they 'self evidentally' need to bring out a statement for something that is obvious to the vast majority of us? What other motivation could their be for this that confuses a certain minority?

It doesn't confuse anybody. It has obvious connotations (rightly or wrongly, I didn't put them there) with an ideology that some people (myself included) don't like.

Not agreeing with the prevailing orthodoxy on the issue of race (and all that entails, including the symbolism) certainly doesn't make me a racist.

Heres my tuppence worth. I dont get booing it nor do i do it. I also dont really see how taking the knee does any good. But listen who am i to say who is right or wrong
It's a start at trying to highlight racism and hopefully create a more healthy dialogue to start to eradicate it from society.

It doesn't annoy me.

It really does though. You've been going on abut BLM and cultural Marxism and CRT, and the Frankfurt School, and other things that have no bearing on people's actual lives, for a long time. You're in a small minority. You may get 20 Likes per post from your fanbase, but you still do not represent RFC men. This thread, and the locked one before this, should help you realise that. Just support the Champions, and leave cultural fecking marxism out of it. Let them take the knee if that is what they want, applaud till palms ache, cheer, be proud. I was lucky enough to get a ticket, I'll be cheering loudly. cltic will hate it, but any booing will give them at least a crumb of comfort.

I'll try to be clear.

I’m not suggesting you are. I’m making a general point about perception.

I look at the GB women’s team taking the knee and I think it’s an anti-racist statement. I see the US women’s doing similar and I take a little more politics from it.

Some seem gripped by a fear of BLM, when their impact on British life appears to be rather minimal.

As I say, reds under the bed.

It doesn't confuse anybody. It has obvious connotations (rightly or wrongly, I didn't put them there) with an ideology that some people (myself included) don't like.

Not agreeing with the prevailing orthodoxy on the issue of race (and all that entails, including the symbolism) certainly doesn't make me a racist.
If it doesn't confuse anyone then it doesn't make the need for a statement self-evident. If no one is confused then there is only one conclusion to draw about those who oppose it or need it explained to them.

If it doesn't confuse anyone then it doesn't make the need for a statement self-evident. If no one is confused then there is only one conclusion to draw about those who oppose it or need it explained to them.

I oppose it.

I also oppose racism.

It really does though. You've been going on abut BLM and cultural Marxism and CRT, and the Frankfurt School, and other things that have no bearing on people's actual lives, for a long time. You're in a small minority. You may get 20 Likes per post from your fanbase, but you still do not represent RFC men. This thread, and the locked one before this, should help you realise that. Just support the Champions, and leave cultural fecking marxism out of it. Let them take the knee if that is what they want, applaud till palms ache, cheer, be proud. I was lucky enough to get a ticket, I'll be cheering loudly. cltic will hate it, but any booing will give them at least a crumb of comfort.

Funny, it seems to me like the guy has been very clear on his thoughts, but others including yourself cant seem to let it go?

Hes never even mentioned Marxism on this thread, yet its been asked of him dozens of times. Almost like you and a few others are desperate for a reaction. Its pathetic. He stated he doesnt like the gesture, but abhors racism and supports the players stance. That not good enough? Or you going to keep going until he gives you the reaction you really want?

Oh and btw, cultural marxism isnt economic marxism. If you are going to bring it up, at least understand it.

Funny, it seems to me like the guy has been very clear on his thoughts, but others including yourself cant seem to let it go?

Hes never even mentioned Marxism on this thread, yet its been asked of him dozens of times. Almost like you and a few others are desperate for a reaction. Its pathetic. He stated he doesnt like the gesture, but abhors racism and supports the players stance. That not good enough? Or you going to keep going until he gives you the reaction you really want?

Oh and btw, cultural marxism isnt economic marxism. If you are going to bring it up, at least understand it.
Tbf, this poster has mentioned "cultural Marxism" and something called the Frankfurt school, again and again and again. It has been his main reason for railing against the taking of the knee. It is certainly fair to attempt to get to the bottom of this? For most folk, and most Rangers fans, what the players are doing is simply an anti-racist gesture. I can only ask the people who are wholly averse to it WHY they are averse to it. But they cannot give a coherent reply, they simply spit the dummy. Anyways, I'm out, and off to bed. I'm up at 6am tomorrow, then going to the game at 11. Let's just hope there is no booing, We can at least agree on that.

Only if certain people let that happen. That wouldn't be me. Since when has this "symbiotic relationship" been fragile? Only since a minority of clowns started reading far too much into an anti-racism gesture. Before that, it's been strong as feck, without a suggestion of fragility. Let's keep it that way. Some folk are intent on creating mischief, just because they see "cultural Marxists" (whatever tf that even means) under their bed, or in their own starting XI. Most folk, thankfully don't think that way.
I once watched Jaws and believed sharks would be under my bunk bed. I was 7. Glad I grew out of that.....

Our 55 winning Captain: "It's to try and stop black players being called a f*cking monkey during games and change the way society thinks".

Real fans: Agreed. Let's support that.

Attention seeking arseholes who bought a Rangers top in Turkey with a Union flag on it: "It's pure Marxist n'that and supporting the ira. I'm booing because someone on Facebook who was at a game once told me I've to do it."

You don't think that we have a sizeable number of right wing morons attached to our support? It may be an uncomfortable truth but it is the truth, nonetheless.
Are you being serious?
Care to offer up some proof of this uncomfortable truth you are implying exists amongst our support.
I would love to see it,feel free to post it as I'm sure it will be very educating and truthful,rather than just something that exists in your mind or untruths branded about by our enemies to vilify our club and fans.

I oppose it.

I also oppose racism.
It’s easy to say you oppose racism, but it’s a very different thing to actually listen and follow the lead of the impacted people (e.g. our Black players) on how to deal with it.

It’s a convenient excuse to hide behind a political argument. Truth is, the only people who relate what the players are doing to the political side of the BLM organisation are those looking for an excuse to be offended - like yourself.

I refuse to believe that you don't see (rightly or wrongly) the relationship between BLM and taking the knee. They might not be synonymous but it is a widely recognised relationship.

There have been black athletes who have refused to take the knee because of the political connotations. So the concept isnt difficult to understand, for anyone who chooses to.

Tav has came out and offered a personal olive branch though, hes asked for our support directly and they absolutely deserve it, so i will be furious if anyone boos tomorrow and im not a particular fan of the background of the gesture myself.

Theres a line in the sand drawn, so we should absolutely support the team on this one.

Tav has made it abundantly clear the gesture from our players isn't political.

Why can't you accept that at face value from them ? Do you think they are lying ?
What a bizarre interpretation.

I don't doubt the earnestness or the motivations of our players.

I don't think they are lying. That doesn't detract from the obvious symbolism of the gesture.

I simply wish they had chosen a different gesture.

It's like this: In the Western world most people would assume that if you gave me your middle-finger as a gesture then you were telling me to "f@ck off", except now you are giving me the same gesture but telling me that you loved me.

The hand-signal would still be laden with baggage regardless of your intentions.

I honestly don't understand why it seems impossible that I hold a different viewpoint but I'm still committed to the objective.

Whilst these gestures are being made on random football pitches in Scotland, social media companies continue to provide a platform for racists to spout their stuff, largely uninterrupted.

That's where more far more of the focus should be as that is where footballers are being targeted.

500 comments and counting
Most ridiculing the statement.
I've never known anything like this in all my years following Rangers. I'm glad I dont go any more to be honest, instead of looking forward to the first game which I always have, I can't see it far enough now.

Who are these people ffs. This cant be guys from my era, no way. Anyone who was at parkhead when mark Walter's made his debut just wouldn't behave like this and we were far from angels back then.

In fact walters was very much our hero. What a treat he gave us putting them to the sword.

Our 55 winning Captain: "It's to try and stop black players being called a f*cking monkey during games and change the way society thinks".

Real fans: Agreed. Let's support that.

Attention seeking arseholes who bought a Rangers top in Turkey with a Union flag on it: "It's pure Marxist n'that and supporting the ira. I'm booing because someone on Facebook who was at a game once told me I've to do it."
100% agree with you mate and it’s that straightforward.

At the end of the day these players are simple men, and I mean that in the sense that they are trying to do a job, a job they love, whilst earning a good living and providing joy and lasting memories for their supporters.

Anyone wanting to use their own personal prejudices/beliefs/political stance as an excuse to either boo or otherwise disrespect a gesture the players they supposedly ‘support’ make is quite frankly a fucking moron. Try stepping into Kamara’s shoes that night last season. Or any player who has been abused whilst simply doing their job.

Everyone has opinions, but sometimes people have to learn when it is not about them and about something much bigger.

I back Tavernier and the Rangers players and I back any other team in the world who wants to take the knee. Or not take the knee. Whatever their choice is, it’s about respecting each and every one.

The FF Facebook page is full of "fans" who couldn't even point to Ibrox on a map and who have never been to a Rangers game in their lives.
I dont think they are Rangers fans. Let's face it some of the stuff coming out here is exactly what dornan has being implying since he crawled out from under his rock.

I dont think for one minute there is a racist problem with Rangers fans, maybe we have our other faults, but this is not one of them.

why are people arguing against this? If you support Rangers and don’t want to harm the club and fans, you’d accept that it would be stupid to boo it and that would be it. There are plenty of places to debate BLM and Marxists and this isn’t one of them, mainly because what Rangers players are doing has nothing to do with it. Arguing against it is just giving the hard of thinking the green light to boo because they think they have backing.

There might be an argument that the kneeling is not political which may be true, but the clenched fist salute some players is widely recognised as a political salute.

It doesn't annoy me.

The only reason they had to make any sort of argument is because fuckwits booed last week.

Exactly. Don’t know a single person who posts on it who isn’t a complete armchair “fan” and I see plenty I know posting on it.
If they are Rangers fans, then they must be the young team. I know plenty of people my age who don't and never booed mo johnstone and believe me, that was a much bigger deal back in the day that came to nothing.

Never ever known this from our fans and I stick by it.

Kick off tomorrow is make or break for us. Belt out "We love you Rangers, we do" when our players take the knee and really shut up and bury the likes of Humza, Dornan and that ginger heided harridan who's name I can't remember or have a small minority boo and give them ammunition for years to come.

Whilst these gestures are being made on random football pitches in Scotland, social media companies continue to provide a platform for racists to spout their stuff, largely uninterrupted.

That's where more far more of the focus should be as that is where footballers are being targeted.

That will never change until someone with a huge following takes action. Controversy is, and will always be a cash cow. The platforms are set up for it.

100% agree with you mate and it’s that straightforward.

At the end of the day these players are simple men, and I mean that in the sense that they are trying to do a job, a job they love, whilst earning a good living and providing joy and lasting memories for their supporters.

Anyone wanting to use their own personal prejudices/beliefs/political stance as an excuse to either boo or otherwise disrespect a gesture the players they supposedly ‘support’ make is quite frankly a fucking moron. Try stepping into Kamara’s shoes that night last season. Or any player who has been abused whilst simply doing their job.

Everyone has opinions, but sometimes people have to learn when it is not about them and about something much bigger.

I back Tavernier and the Rangers players and I back any other team in the world who wants to take the knee. Or not take the knee. Whatever their choice is, it’s about respecting each and every one.

Word to yer motha! :p

Your bang on point on every point. Shame your a Jambo :shh:

I hope every Bear at Ibrox claps and cheers tomorrow. Drowns the morons out. And if you sit close to someone that does boo.....call them out. You'll be backed by other Bears.

And to those who thinks this is still anything to do with the BLM organisation, it's clearly not, as stated many many times before. Things evolve. The swastika used to be a symbol of good luck......would you post it on the Rangers Twitter page before a big game or send a family member it be their driving test? No. It's not that fucking hard

Back