A Prediction by Paul Brennan at Celtic Quick News

You have to remember that Partick Thistle held a fond place in many Rangers fans hearts in the early 70’s. My grandad took me to my first game at Firhill in 1962.
My great bluenose friend’s dad didn’t come home for 2 days after that game.
Of course there were were not thousands going from Ibrox to Hampden that day, but I can tell you there were a few hundred Taxi drivers had a nice wee earner between 3:45 and 4:00.
A lot of Rangers fans used to go to Firhill when we were away from home, especially those like my family that originated from the Maryhill/ Garscube road area. It's an urban myth though about tht number of fans that left Ibrox for Hampden on that day. Thistle though were 7/1 to win that day, my uncles had a few quid on them

The story about thousands leaving Ibrox for Hampden that day is an urban myth. I was at Hampden that day as I had a family member playing for Partick Thistle that day. At best there were a couple of hundred, if that, who got into Hampden for the second half
Aye, every second fan I knew from thar era hailed a black cab to Hampden.

Must have been some amount of black cabs parked outside Ibrox that day ready for the Hampden run.
pmsl at that thought, "right lads let's make a richt few quid out o' uber staunch bears wantin' tae be there in person tae witness thistle gubbin' the shettlestons"

pmsl at that thought, "right lads let's make a richt few quid out o' uber staunch bears wantin' tae be there in person tae witness thistle gubbin' the shettlestons"
Aye,psychic taxi drivers just knew Thistle would be 4-0 ahead at half time, then a black cab exodus from Ibrox to Hampden, "'hold the second half kick off,were on our way".

Back