Aberdeen and Celtic could face coronavirus sanctions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont want to worry every day for the rest of the season that one of our players is going to slip up and we’re going to lose points. If the precedent is fines, individual or club, and they stick to that, fine. What they absolutely can’t do is change the rules on a whim depending on which club is involved.

Got to imagine it will be a financial punishment which would then set the precedent moving forward for all other players and clubs.

At most they might offer the players a suspension, but unsure if that could even happen?

As much as I want them docked points, I’m wary with the season having a long way to go and COVID going nowhere anytime soon. Players in other teams will make mistakes in due course and I’d be seething if someone in our camp made a poor call of judgement and resulted in us having points docked.

Know everyone won’t agree with me, but I’m in the ‘Be careful what you wish for’ camp.

Hopefully they are being put under pressure by the government to punish the clubs but it will probably just be a fine

Should be penalised for not fulfilling their fixtures 0-3 nothing more, nothing less.

If they are being serious about the issue then this should be the only punishment considered. A small fine really won’t make much difference to teams.
Just hope we don’t get caught out as the press/spfl would be desperate to punish us

They should be losing at least 4 points.

I have my doubts about that actually happening though.

The “rules” they roll out will be along these lines:-

Historic isolated incidents will be punished at player level, maximum fine £500.

Historic incidents involving two or more individuals will be deemed gross negligence and carry a points deduction.

Any future incident regardless of the number of individuals involved, will be at the discretion of the Compliance Officer and can carry anything from a fine to points deduction.

This will be the perfect outcome for them, because we have already seen how the so called Compliance officers eye is trained. Anything that involves us will be points deduction, anything from them will be fined or just ignored altogether, much like Edouards actions last weekend.

2 completely different scenarios happened. The rules re quarantine are clear - 14 days self isolation - coming back from Spain. The club and player have to be punished for this. Regarding the Aberdeen players it was just unlucky stupid, yeah but unlucky none the less.

Agree stupid act my several of the sheep players however places were open and they visited - no law or rule broken just bad example / choice. The bheggers boy broke a rule above and beyond the game for which he as an individual should be punished, the club wont be asked who knew what as we all know.

IMO three game bans for all players involved so guess who is worst affected

The clubs have only broken the rules if they told their players to spend a night in the pub or told Bolingoli to disappear to Spain for a night. They clearly didn't. The Aberdeen 8 and Bolingoli are all adults. They shouldn't need a responsible adult to be tracking their movement and reminding them that they can't go out.

They are still responsible for the actions of their employees though.

In any other league on the planet, points deduction would be implemented. A line in the sand giving Clubs the ability to deal with the individuals severely.

Oh no wait this is Scotland ...

Last edited:
She already has upset them by 'expecting' their games not to be played. You have to give her some due, she was feckin livid with Aberdeen and more so with Celti.c Leitch wouldve been told to lay it on the line for the SFA/SPFL. We are on the brink of a second (continuation of the first ?) Covid wave. Footballers are role models. People copy them. Theres no scope for fannying about. Govt will stop football again in the blink of an eye if it doesnt behave. Unfortunately football authorities in this country are so twisted/inept they are guaranteed to make a Jeremy Hunt of every response they come up with eg the Hearts situation.
Do you honestly think she will demand Celtic are punished severely,she knows that a huge chunk of her support comes from the republican bhrigade.

In any other league on the planet, points dedication would be implemented. A line in the sand giving Clubs the ability to deal with the individuals severely.

Oh no wait this is Scotland ...

I deduce you mean deduction :)) - but dedications of deducted points to us to make up for 2012 (Never work!) will be accepted :p

I see fines heading to both clubs. I would suggest around equal sized. Aberdeen had more players involved, but Celtic actually fielded a player who should have been isolating, so now have a full squad isolating.

No way will they go down the points route:
1. Will definitly trigger appeals, which will drag on and on.
2. It's their attempt at the tainted 10, no way will they be seen to harm that in any way.

Are they actually isolating? So no training?

what time are we expecting this bomb shell to be announced?
Not expecting any great revelation or punishment, they are just going through the motions so as to appear to be doing something.

Aye. On the park where they have direct control over what goes on. How the fvck can McInnes stop half his squad going to the pub? Turn up at their house and barricade them in? The players are adults and there comes a point where they must take responsibility.

If I get caught speeding on the way to work, I wouldn't expect my employer to be fined because I'm an adult and it's my responsibility.

Because the clubs know the conditions upon which football has been allowed to resume. They have to make all their players fully understand the implications of breaking these protocols and ensuring that they understand the disciplinary ramifications of doing so.

They have clearly failed.

Celtic punishment. Say 2 hail Mary's and the stations of the cross with father O'Flaherty, all forgiven.
Aberdeen. talk to the local Fermers and tell them it won't happen again, ban on wellies to help stop the spread.

What chance have you got when SPL and SFA board members heap praise on Celtic for their “ swift actions “ in dealing with it.

Celtic's punishment will be whatever minimal slap on the wrist fat pedro determines is necessary to keep up appearances.

If it was one of our players, you could just imagine the rabid clamour to have games forfeited, points deducted etc

This is tricky, part of me wants them deducted about 10 points. But, it sets a precedent for it, and you just know, if they get 10 point taken, we will have 20 by the end of the season.... if Celtic require it.

This is tricky, part of me wants them deducted about 10 points. But, it sets a precedent for it, and you just know, if they get 10 point taken, we will have 20 by the end of the season.... if Celtic require it.
Yeah, it's an Up the Ante situation.

If we ain't going to Call Out anything, then at least in the vacuum our
results will shine!

The Aberdeen 8 should all be given match bans. Otherwise what punishment are they actually facing.

Same for Bolingoli although he won’t play again anyway.

Community service looms, the jolly boli will get to spending a week protecting altar bhoys and the Aberdeen players get made to shearing the sheep population

No chance will anything happen to them A kiddy on exercise by the liewell run authorities to allow them to hammer any other team in future.They don't have the bottle to charge celtic.

Nae chance when their manager was on saying he knows Lennon and other members of their staff being honest people and they are not responsible.I know what the reaction would have been if for example it had been Alfredo or another of our players.
Absolutely , imagine it had been a Kilmarnock player the press and hotlines would go into meltdown, theres no way treacle teeth would have shrugged his shoulders he would want the three points thats the difference here.

They won’t be punished

I can’t comprehend why not as they should at least suffer a forfeit of the cancelled games another team with a smaller squad should not be punished via a fixture overload

“Both clubs have been made aware of their responsibilities and warned as to the potential sanctions should a further breach occur. Going forward, we have introduced new regulations should Rangers other clubs commit a similar offence”.

Where I think Bheast FC should have taken responsibility was after the Grffiths incident.

Instead of using it as an example to educate his players and reinforce the seriousness Lennons' response was to say it wasn't a big deal. Not exactly setting a marker down. I don't see how they can claim they were doing everything possible when the manager was condoning a previous breech. No wonder Bolingoli thought the rules didn't apply to him.

There will be no immediate sanction against either Club.

They will take action against the players, 2/3/4 match ban.

Seemingly Aberdeen players were out for a quiet meal drinking water etc. Some players driving everything ok with that but after the meal they went next door to the bar and social distancing wasn’t happening
Whereas septic fielded a guy who should have been self isolating under government advice and therefore should have been unavailable for selection. Two different breaches here.

This article popped up on my new phone for some reason and I thought it was very interesting. It's from a tim blog site called The Celtic Star. Not only do they get tore into Bolingoli, but they also get into Griffiths. I thought it was amusing to see them slaughter their own players. I won't link to it, you can Google for it if you wish.

As you wondered how Boli Bolingoli got from Glasgow to Malaga and back and how it took seven days from the point of departure until Monday lunchtime for Celtic to be aware of his actions, you may have pictured a John le Carre spy novel as Boli bedecked in a genius disguise as a luggage trolley floated seamlessly through four checkpoints in 24 hours. He would have strolled through two arrivals halls and two departure lounges, passed security, cabin crew and passengers and was not recognised at all.

Bearing in mind he’d have to navigate Prestwick Airport – twice, even in the absence of Celtic fans working an airport shift you’d bet in Ayrshire the true blue loyal employed in some position along the way, checking passports and departure cards and noting the destination of the man involved may have flagged it up. But no the Emerald Pimpernel evaded capture, made it to Spain, checked into a hotel full of tourists, and either negotiated a transfer or simply – hard as it is to believe risked his Celtic career and soaked up some sun, necked his body weight in san Miguel and headed straight home, this time you’d assume in an EasyJet cabin crew uniform to evade capture. And not a soul got wind of it.

Jimmy Johnstone would barely be collecting his change from a hauf and hauf before Jock Stein would have had a call to confirm a clandestine night out had just started and that was without camera phones and twitter.

Did Boli tell those he was meeting that he had no comms and to dispense with the usual communications channels to avoid contact from teammates and club employees, did the alleged new club send a burner phone prior to his flight with strict instructions only to turn it on when he’d negotiated the Malaga border control checkpoint and await further instruction, before making his way to the moustachioed Mercedes driver with a cardboard sign adorned with ‘Senor Idiota’, climb into the boot and cover himself in the strategically placed tarpaulin.

But no, Boli wasn’t as bright as all of that, Qué Sorpresa! Boli travelled with a £2k designer suitcase, so garish that still looked like it was from the reduced section at TK Maxx, Bermuda shorts that Keanu Reeves would have rejected as too much in Point Beak, trainers borrowed from Mo Farah and a pair of socks from my dad when he last visited Viva Espana courtesy of Saga. Inconspicuous he was not.

White socks with your trainers on holiday? As if Boli isn’t in enough trouble! Anyone wearing white socks and trainers on a flight fully expects to have their face scrutinised by everyone on board, just in case they wander into your hotel bar and want to try conversing when you reach your destination, forewarned is forearmed and all that.

And just in case you thought he may have spent most of the flight in the top right corner of the plane with a pulled down baseball cap, wrapped in a blanket and with a snood as a makeshift facemask, or indeed in the aeroplane bathroom to limit eye contact, it turns out Boli and his overnight bag plonked themselves on the front row.

A psychologist would have a field day: ‘When you say you wished to travel incognito Mr Bolingoli your actions and attire tell a different story, let’s talk about why I believe you may on some unconscious level you may have wanted to be caught’.
It’s a bit of a mess is it not? How on earth did Celtic not know any of this, it’s more Clouseau than Le Carre?

Celtic, or at least Neil Lennon has faced the music for sure, yet it’s a concern that procedures the club have been lauding for weeks’ – and indeed with a promotional video on Celtic TV – allowed a ‘rogue’ element, as Neil Lennon described Boli, to sneak out the country, possibly even to meet another club’s representatives (he denied this last night via Sky Sports), back home again, flout quarantine rules, train with teammates before playing in last weekend’s game with Kilmarnock – and it takes a week before anyone notices!

If this was another club, I’d be the first to call them out for the damage it’s caused Scottish football, if this was another Budge fudge at Tynecastle or Cormack cock-up at Pittodrie we’d be questioning the diligence of those in charge. Bolingoli may to be to blame but the responsibility lies in our own measures surely.

Discipline in the dressing room comes down to the coaching staff and the responsibility to Neil Lennon. It’s been said the Celtic manager has mellowed in his second stint in Glasgow, that he ruled with an iron fist and a fiery temper first time around and perhaps this time those flames are doused somewhat and that the fist is perhaps now covered with a velvet glove.

Time moves on and football modernises. Young players don’t clean the stands after games, polish the boots of allocated first teamers nor scrub the grouting in the showers with a toothbrush. Older players are not allocated these youngsters to teach their young Padawans the ways of the force. But somehow discipline must remain.

Leigh Griffiths is a fine example. His talent appears to allow him special treatment, unfit enough to train in Loughborough or take part in a pre-season trip, he’s back in the fold against Hibs for a friendly before celebrating his partner’s birthday with a badly advised and possibly oversubscribed house party. Yet Lennon tell the media at a press conference where he’s apparently ‘livid’ at the behaviour of Bolingoli that Leigh’s is no big deal and he’ll be back training soon. After recovering from his calf injury you’d assume.

If I was a friend of Bolingoli’s in that changing room or a friend of neither but someone who’d made all the necessary sacrifices and saw Griffiths treated differently from others who broke the rules, I’d be questioning the consistency. It’s from moments like this that the fracturing of the togetherness Celtic has built over the years can occur.

Perhaps a malaise has set in, things have got a little too comfortable, nine titles in a row could do that perhaps to the point you would take ten for granted. Well there’s time to address just that before this season starts to unravel any further.

Peter Lawwell photographed at St Mirren last December, Celtic should have been back there this evening.
The Chief Executive and not Neil Lennon is where the buck lies for operational breakdowns and today you’d hope Celtic are tightening up even further their procedures, perhaps putting them in writing to the players may help this time around.

The sound of silence in the summer may have appeared dignified, with only a statement from the club this time and nothing from the captain of the ship manoeuvring troubled waters it smacks of disinterest or cowardice.

Yesterday was an operational issue, not one simply for the dressing room. Tuesday’s press conference should have been reminiscent of the good times when Neil Lennon was appointed and Peter Lawwell was happy to stand in front of the camera and hog the limelight, yet unlike Cormack or Budge – front and centre when their own media fallout arose – our Chief executive was only conspicuous by his absence.

And you could say what can Celtic do? Well they can’t do anything now about what went before, it’s done, but what a Chief Executive and not a first team coach should be doing is facing the cameras and the questions explaining where it went wrong and how they plan to move things forward and learn.

Lennon should not have been there on his own for such a monumental issue and on the back of a First Minister taking pot-shots it should have been for the main man to stand shoulder to shoulder rather hang back in the shadows. The seniority of the castigator called for Celtic’s Chief Executive to respond.

With a week or so now for contemplation, and after a summer of silence where Scottish football took turns to embarrass us all, Celtic have now joined Aberdeen to keep that consistency of ignominy going.

On the pitch we have players looking like they’re in dire need of competition to keep them up to their work and now Peter Lawwell has to supply that as well as leadership around this issue and support his manager. While off it, Lennon has to find a way to instil discipline in a way that is equitable across the board, no favourites, and no rules for one and not the other, at the very least that may halt the progression of any in-house division amongst the squad.

You get the feeling this may not be the end of it all and you start to worry the damage this could do this season. Yet there is time to take stock and for all of those in the position to affect change, to use the time we have to clear the air and make adjustments on and off the park.

Boili Bolingoli couldn’t and shouldn’t have been able to do what he did, that he did so in such a brazen manner and yet the club knew nothing of it shows there are improvements we can make. A collective responsibility would be a good starting point.

Niall J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back