Aberdeen manager job - what happened?

RabSpackman

I remember Neil Warnock announcing that he was stepping down after the cup win but couldn’t remember a permanent manager being announced.

According to their Wikipedia page, the current manager of Aberdeen is Peter Leven, again on an interim basis.

Did they get let down at the last minute by someone, or did what appear to be a bit of a sideshow with Warnock get all too much?

I thought Lennon would have been appointed fairly sharpish tbh. Putting himself in the running just before Warnock left didn’t seem like a coincidence.
The inverted world thread about Lennon made me think of this actually - it seemed like that was how it was going.

Talk was Thelin but it’s gone quiet, now it’s Michael O’Neil being tipped.

They were linked with Sopic at Rijeka but I think he rubbished it and complained about the weather.

It's fairly obvious that Aberdeen and their football monitoring board don't have a clue what they are doing in terms of manager recruitment which is quite surprising actually as over the last two or three seasons they have actually made some half decent signings that will make them a few quid, Miovski being the obvious one.

Last edited:
Michael ONeill not actually saying he's not interested all adds to the rumour mill. Hard to read Michael sometimes although I'd be dumbfounded if he took that on especially only a year into a 5.5 year contract. Doubt that Aberdeen could afford the compo to the IFA as Michael is on £350,000 a year.

I think they must have been knocked back, Warnock basically said they were well on the way to appointing their new manager, that's why he stepped aside.

I'm hopeful they get someone half decent in and get a new manager bounce, obviously with the cup semi in mind.

They are an utter shambles of a football club though.

When O'Neill was linked was us before Gerrard the talk was a compensation clause of £800,000.

O'Neill still has 4 years to go on this current NI contract. He'd cost them a fortune.

That was his old deal before leaving already, talk when he came back was he got a better clause in his favour this time.

Reactions: SDF
Just mentioned this on the Michael O’Neill / Ross McAusland thread.

The blurb was that Warnock was leaving early because they were just about to appoint a new manager.

That was three weeks ago though.

Seems clear to me the players just didn’t take to our man Colin and the board binned him early in a desperate bid to stave off relegation freefall.

A farce.

I thought Lennon would have been appointed fairly sharpish tbh. Putting himself in the running just before Warnock left didn’t seem like a coincidence.

He puts himself in the running for every single job going with the help of the tim media. There was no evidence anywhere to suggest Aberdeen had spoken to him or were interested in doing so. He is absolutely desperate for a job and anytime one becomes available his name is pushed by multiple newspapers and pundits. It only took until the second post for him to get a mention on here. These threads always end up with endless shite about Lennon getting the job.

Who takes that job with 8 games left of their season & 3 points from the relegation play off ?

Edit - 9 games, SC semi

Just mentioned this on the Michael O’Neill / Ross McAusland thread.

The blurb was that Warnock was leaving early because they were just about to appoint a new manager.

That was three weeks ago though.

Seems clear to me the players just didn’t take to our man Colin and the board binned him early in a desperate bid to stave off relegation freefall.

A farce.

He publicly tanked a few of them like Miovski, it would be safe to say they took the huff with him.

Could you imagine if they went down. Oooft. Can’t see it as Livingston are dung and pretty much down, St Johnstone and Ross County can’t sustain a run of wins to keep the pressure on. Shame as we could be doing without them in the spfl as they only raise their game against us and over the years put in soft performances against the paedos.

Warnock knew it was a lost cause IMO.

Couldn't be arsed with the hassle and decided to walk.
That's what I think as well. Plenty of times he threw the players under the bus with his post-match comments. One point he said "I can't see us winning a game."

They won't go down. Even if they end up in the play off they would beat the championship comfortably over two legs.

Reactions: VGM
Could you imagine if they went down. Oooft. Can’t see it as Livingston are dung and pretty much down, St Johnstone and Ross County can’t sustain a run of wins to keep the pressure on. Shame as we could be doing without them in the spfl as they only raise their game against us and over the years put in soft performances against the paedos.
They're only 2 points ahead of Ross County and 3 ahead of St Johnstone.

They don't need sustained runs to catch them.

They were down the road with the Elfsborg manager, but they messed about and the guy didn't want to leave with just a week before their season began.

Looking very much like Michael O'Neill now.

Back