Aguero and Sian Massey Elliss

It happens all the time, players asking the officials a question with a hand on the shoulder. It is absolutely nothing.

If this is the type of nonsense that's going to come from it, we'd be as well just leaving female officials out of the mens game.

I saw it and it did seem a little strange even though it was such a minor thing. I'll be honest and say I can't figure out if it seems strange because A) it feels inappropriate to do it because she's a woman or B) it feels inappropriate because he'd only do it to a woman.

Subtle difference I suppose but A infers that he's acting as he would with anyone and it's the people viewing it (including me) who're projecting a sexist skew onto the 'incident' and B infers he's acted inappropriately. Only Aguero knows if it's B, but I'm inclined to think this stuff happens all the time in the game and it only feels uncomfortable now because it's a woman – which isn't Aguero's problem.

Either way, if the woman on the radio is seriously saying this is why women walk with keys in their hand, essentially equating what Aguero did to attempted rape, she needs to be handed her jotters.

Also, to suggest that a referee should never, ever be touched even in a friendly manner is simply wrong. They aren't gods ffs, it's a game of football.

A lot of nonsense. I don't understand what these radical feminist types want, they say they want equality for women ie them to be treated the same, then are up in arms about this when you see players putting an arm around refs quite often on a football pitch? So do they want to be treated the same as men or not?

And Kun is handsome as f*ck. I bet she loved it :p

It's not about sexual orientation. I wasn't offended by it but if women are telling you it's wrong, and the vast majority who have commented seem to be, then listen to their experiences and reasoning as to why they feel it needs dealt with. It's not that difficult.

Is it not possible that the vast majority of women speaking up about it saying it's wrong (taking your word for that) is because you're more inclined to talk about something if you have a complaint than if you have none?

Would he have done the same to a male official? If the answer is yes the surely it's sexist not to have done the same to the linesperson in question.

So where do you draw the line? And what should his punishment be?

I’m genuinely looking forward to your reply.

I didn't say he should have a punishment. And it can often be difficult to draw a line - though clearly there has to be a line about what physical contact players can have with officials.

I prefer the way I was brought up: keep your hands off the officials during the game (shake hands or the like before and after). That should be encouraged.

What’s good about this thread is that the same people telling us about hysteria and hyperbole are also telling us the world is fucked and society is declining!

“It’s the beginning of the downward spiral”

I didn't say he should have a punishment. And it can often be difficult to draw a line - though clearly there has to be a line about what physical contact players can have with officials.

I prefer the way I was brought up: keep your hands off the officials during the game (shake hands or the like before and after). That should be encouraged.
Is that how Rugby Union and League run? Far better for it. It’s also one major positive women’s Football has over men’s, as well as play acting.

Watching it again now, there really is absolutely fück all in it.

The discussion, if there even needs to be one, should only be about whether match officials can be touched rather than having anything to do with the fact that it was a woman. It's a shame that Aguero is being dragged as if he's some sort of sexual predator.

Is it not possible that the vast majority of women speaking up about it saying it's wrong (taking your word for that) is because you're more inclined to talk about something if you have a complaint than if you have none?
Perhaps. But given the amount of women speaking up about it, maybe it's something we should consider instead of immediately given it the 'hunks' patter.

Watching it again now, there really is absolutely fück all in it.

The discussion, if there even needs to be one, should only be about whether match officials can be touched rather than having anything to do with the fact that it was a woman. It's a shame that Aguero is being dragged as if he's some sort of sexual predator.
Totally agree with the part in bold but he acted like a dick by grabbing her like that and it's amplified because she's a female official.
I was under the impression that if you put your hands on an official you were getting a yellow at best.

If women want equality then what's their feckin problem with this. If he did this to a male linesman nobody would say a thing about it.
This constant clamour in society just now to be offended or to scream about the most insignificant things does my feckin box in. The world is full of hand wringers.
Correct.

Perhaps. But given the amount of women speaking up about it, maybe it's something we should consider instead of immediately given it the 'hunks' patter.

What's the hunks patter? Of course, opinions should be considered and I think it's obvious that they are being considered given that there is such widespread discussion on this, but that applies to all opinions.

At the same time, while all opinions should be considered they shouldn't just be taken as fact or correct – surely in the age of Twitter etc. we've learned that by now. Having watched it again now, it really is a minor incident and there's absolutely nothing to suggest that he acted differently because it was a woman, this stuff happens in every game.

The discussion should be whether he should have touched a match-official, gender shouldn't be part of it whatsoever, yet we've (apparently) got someone on the radio drawing similarities to women being afraid of being raped.

Totally agree with the part in bold but he acted like a dick by grabbing her like that and it's amplified because she's a female official.
I was under the impression that if you put your hands on an official you were getting a yellow at best.

There has to be some sort of grey area though and I think there is – touching an official isn't instantly a card regardless of context, that would ridiculous. I don't think there was much in it, to be honest.

Although it's one of those instances where if it was Davis I'd say come on to fück there's nothing in it at all, but if it was Brown I'd be saying it was aggressive and he should be sent off :))

It was completely patronising. He was arguing a point, realised she wasnt listening to him and then he put his arm around her. It came across, to me anyway, that he was patronising her.

As expected, Massey is not the one complaining. It's some perma-offended moron looking for a bit of publicity

She's probably more angry she could only get Talksport interested and not the BBC

Millions of young men actually went to war within the last 100 years to fight for our very existence today, only for folk to greet about stuff like this. The world has gone mad. Imagine explaining now to a guy who fought in the trenches that folk are in uproar cause someone touched someone’s shoulder. Mentalists.

He shouldn’t have done it and I can see why it’s being perceived as another example of misogynistic behaviour. My own personal view is that there’s not enough in the video footage to state categorically what his intentions were.

However, bottom line is he absolutely shouldn’t have touched her. Doesn’t matter if it’s her arse, shoulder of fingertip. He has no right to make physical contact with her and this is what people (rightly) have an issue with.

Which is also completely inappropriate.

It puts the player in a position of power, and as per the letter of the law he should have at least been shown a yellow. She did well in how she dealt with it.

Yes, but that’s not why they are making a big deal out of it.

Sian Massey didn't complaining about it. To be honest the creepiest thing about the whole thing was the way he slid his hand over her back after squeezing her shoulder.

Women get touched inappropriately every day, that's where the issue is.
Would it not be a good idea to address the actual problem then instead of being offended or banning everything?

Some wet wipe poet was on twitter saying he wouldn’t have done it if it was a male.

Cue loads of pictures of players touching male refs.

clamped.

It happens all the time, players asking the officials a question with a hand on the shoulder. It is absolutely nothing.

If this is the type of nonsense that's going to come from it, we'd be as well just leaving female officials out of the mens game.
100% mate.

At the end of the day if someone did it to your sister, daughter etc and she was a bit slight and timid like Massey you’d probably say something to them. Not a massive deal, can see why folk think he was a dick for it.
If someone did what? Put their hand on her shoulder for less than 2 seconds while speaking to her??

The full video and not the shorter cut out, looking for reasons to be offended video.

Sorry but I see absolutely nothing wrong with that there. She walked away, he tapped her shoulder annoyed that she wasn't having any of it to try get her attention and was probably told to bugger off and thus he did.
If that’s deemed “inappropriate” we’re all in bother.
I wonder what the offended would make of the Gascoigne/McCoist peck at Kirkcaldy around 1996/7!

At the end of the day if someone did it to your sister, daughter etc and she was a bit slight and timid like Massey you’d probably say something to them. Not a massive deal, can see why folk think he was a dick for it.
No, I wouldn’t actually!

If someone did what? Put their hand on her shoulder for less than 2 seconds while speaking to her??
Yeah, different people would take it in different ways.

You don’t have to do outraged by what I’ve said!

Not outraged at all, more just bemused/confused.
Considering you want her to come out and tell everyone apparently offended by it on her half to shut the %^*& up I would say it’s quite got to you, I can’t see her doing that by the way.

As many have alluded to elsewhere in the thread, interactions like this happen all the time between male officials and players. I remember Hugh Dallas giving van Bronckhurst (I think it was) a friendly, get a move on, pat on the backside at the piggery in May 99. Don't remember reading too much about that incident.

Would it not be a good idea to address the actual problem then instead of being offended or banning everything?
That's the point though, this is part of it. Instead of being against it you have people on here claiming it was nothing and part of PC culture.
What's the hunks patter? Of course, opinions should be considered and I think it's obvious that they are being considered given that there is such widespread discussion on this, but that applies to all opinions.

At the same time, while all opinions should be considered they shouldn't just be taken as fact or correct – surely in the age of Twitter etc. we've learned that by now. Having watched it again now, it really is a minor incident and there's absolutely nothing to suggest that he acted differently because it was a woman, this stuff happens in every game.

The discussion should be whether he should have touched a match-official, gender shouldn't be part of it whatsoever, yet we've (apparently) got someone on the radio drawing similarities to women being afraid of being raped.
I typed snow flakes and for some reason it changes to hunks if you type it as one word. That's a weird one.

Back