Ajax and youth set up

What this has done is shown up the lazy attitude that has dogged our game for decades.the we are to small a league to compete in the champions league mantra

Or he was just wasn’t that good
Well he must have had something he was seen as a top prospect and the best young player at Dundee utd at a time when Andy Robertson was also there. So that kinda suggests he was at least decent.

It is truly remarkable what Ajax have achieved given Holland's population size, and the relative operating budget they have to deal with. Inevitably, this invites questions about why Rangers can't create something similar. The Dutch, as a whole, put a premium on developing skillful, technically flexible players, who are comfortable on the ball be it in defence or attack. It is a footballing culture promoted through enlightened coaching of a kind sadly not present in Scotland.

I've always felt the one of the missed opportunities or benefits in Rangers farcical demotion to the lower leagues, was that we didn't put in place a managerial team who could have used the demotion to lay the groundwork for a top class scouting and training regime that would have paid huge benefits down the line.

I agree with much of the sentiments, however in relation to the situation here it must be remembered that with the exception of the last few years Holland has consistently produced world class players since the early 70's whilst our tally in the same period has been a mere handful.

I don’t think there record is great or at least a record that makes you think WOW. They have peaks were they do great but sell all there players and have to start again.

But are they now beginning to get it right? They can sell their best players and either have the next one coming through from Jong Ajax or reinvest some of the money signing someone young and promising from elsewhere?

It is truly remarkable what Ajax have achieved given Holland's population size, and the relative operating budget they have to deal with. Inevitably, this invites questions about why Rangers can't create something similar. The Dutch, as a whole, put a premium on developing skillful, technically flexible players, who are comfortable on the ball be it in defence or attack. It is a footballing culture promoted through enlightened coaching of a kind sadly not present in Scotland.

I've always felt the one of the missed opportunities or benefits in Rangers farcical demotion to the lower leagues, was that we didn't put in place a managerial team who could have used the demotion to lay the groundwork for a top class scouting and training regime that would have paid huge benefits down the line.

Holland have over 3 times the population of Scotland. It's an unfair comparison really when we should be comparing more to Denmark who are of a similar size.

They've barely done anything or produced anyone of any note for a while. Like every club they with peak and trough. They seem to be held up like they produce teams year on year.

FFS!

Frenkie De Jong
Donny van de Beek
Matthjis de Ligt
Christian Eriksen
Jan Vertonghen
Toby Alderweireld
Daley Blind
Thomas Vermaelen
Maarten Stekelenburg
Justin Kluivert
Davy Klaassen
Wesley Sneijder
Johnny Heitinga
Nigel De Jong
Gregory van der Wiel
Rafael van der Vaart
Ryan Babel

All came through their academy since 2000.

I don’t think there record is great or at least a record that makes you think WOW. They have peaks were they do great but sell all there players and have to start again.

It would never be accepted at Rangers.

Ajax are a selling club with a few great seasons thrown in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Ajax_in_European_football

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AFC_Ajax_seasons

Yet your own link states - "AFC Ajax is one of the most successful football clubs in Europe. There are only three clubs in the history of the game to have won the European Cup/Champions League titles (won four times by Ajax) three times consecutively. Only Real Madrid and Bayern Munich have achieved this feat aside from Ajax. "

Yes, not that great. We won our only European trophy 47 years ago. Nothing to learn from them, clearly.

The Ajax model was built on Coerver Coaching Methods. Google his name and the methods of coaching young kids is out of this world. I copied his methods some 25 yrs ago with a wee street team. Theyoved it to bits,They improved and won numerous competitions.
The Rangers are trying very hard to replicate these methods and philosophies. The manor parts to make it work are
1. Finance. Ajax in times gone buy put 50% of Incoming transfer fees into there Academy. Could Rangers do that today? Doubtful.
2. Good and proper coaches.
3. Very importantly a pathway to the first team.Aow young players to make mistakes and a support that continues to support them. Do we have that? Doubtful unless we are winning.
The Rangers Development Co.(Rangersotto,Rising Stars etc.) Donated 400k to The Academy last January. Apparently the Ajax Academy costs around £15m per annum to run.
The Rangers Academy is fast gaining a reputation of being a top top place for youth development. We are on a right road but we need to find ways to finance it a be patient and supportive of any young kids coming through.

Ajax play in a larger league with quite a few 'whipping boys', the SPL was shrunk to get rid of meaningless games against smaller teams, that's worked out really well, hasn't it!

Nothing to do with coming through the leagues.
Did Ajax have to come through the leagues?
Two things for me here.
The Dutch league is designed to allow the development of players by not having a condensed league where teams play each other up to four times.
We, as a country, had a much better record in European competition before the “top ten” came into being.
Second thing is that, as a club, our support are way to demanding of our youth players.
Two bad passes makes you useless.
Not being Brian Laudrup makes you a one trick pony.
Liam Burt was identified as not being good enough after a twenty minute substitute appearance.
Zak Rudden doesn’t have it and that’s before he’s kicked a competitive ball for Rangers.
FFS, Dapo Mebude was written off by a poster in the last week.

They've barely done anything or produced anyone of any note for a while. Like every club they with peak and trough. They seem to be held up like they produce teams year on year.

And as mentioned above...our fans wouldn't settle for youngsters making mistakes or not winning constantly.

Barely produced anyone :D no bother pal.

It’s been said a million times before, but Scottish football will never reach that level of football when it continues to favour a long-ball and physical approach to the game.

Look at the state of our games against some of the Scottish sides this season, it’s shocking to watch.

This country would rather play sh*t football and be sh*t in Europe as opposed to improving for the fear of Rangers becoming a force again.

It’s much easier watching the darkside stroll to titles and for us to be kicked off the pitch for the majority of opposition fans.

Theres a reason Aberdeen won in Europe in the 80’s, it’s because Fergie favoured attacking football and didn’t fear the darkside or us.

Every team in Scotland, apart from us and sometimes Hearts, fear celtc. Until that changes we’ll continue to be a footballing backwater.

Much of the above is true but at the same time we have to look at ourselves as fans too, Tims as well.
We worry too much about stopping Celtic reaching 10 than we sometimes do about our own future. Gerrard doesn't win in his first year and some want him bagged. Wouldn't it be great to build from our academy(with a few good signings too) a team that might take a 3-4 years to build but would give us success for more that a decade.
That's what Ajax do, probably taken more than 3-4 years of suffering actually.
Being kicked out the league hasn't helped us and we are suffering more watching them win 8. If Aberdeen, Hearts , Diet Tims had crack at winning the title the last 8 seasons wouldn't have been as bad. "The fact if its not us, its them" makes it worse and I believe hinders proper development of our team.

Yet your own link states - "AFC Ajax is one of the most successful football clubs in Europe. There are only three clubs in the history of the game to have won the European Cup/Champions League titles (won four times by Ajax) three times consecutively. Only Real Madrid and Bayern Munich have achieved this feat aside from Ajax. "

Yes, not that great. We won our only European trophy 47 years ago. Nothing to learn from them, clearly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_F.C.

Our link says we have won the most league titles and trebles in the world. Historically we are doing ok.

I’m not saying we can’t learn from them what I’m saying is there success comes in cycles and this wouldn’t be accepted.

We have missed the boat in regards to copying Ajax. They are on a different planet and some of the stuff they implement would be ridiculed here such as learning other sports, employing teachers so that we can help with their academic work etc. Imagine we lost a game a year after stuff like that was put in place? It would be wild on here!

But are they now beginning to get it right? They can sell their best players and either have the next one coming through from Jong Ajax or reinvest some of the money signing someone young and promising from elsewhere?

Next year they will be back to being 2nd and going out in the qualifying round of the champions league unless they keep there players. Are they going to keep the players, not with the riches of the premiership and the big teams in Italy and Spain.

Agree with you.

The lack of patience with young players among our fans is sad.

Charlie Adam and Ross McCormack were sold for millions in England for a combined total of over £30m - we sold Adam for £500k and punted Ross on a free.

Adam was a regular scorer for us at home and in Europe. McCormack if I remember right scored a late equaliser that away in Lisbon - or was it Porto - can't recall?
Planet Scotland am afraid!

We have missed the boat in regards to copying Ajax. They are on a different planet and some of the stuff they implement would be ridiculed here such as learning other sports, employing teachers so that we can help with their academic work etc. Imagine we lost a game a year after stuff like that was put in place? It would be wild on here!
We are copying the Ajax model. Our elite squads attend Boclair Academy. Our coaches take the schools PE periods and they get involved in other sports but obviously football takes priority.
We as a support need to have patience and support the youths when they get opportunities.
Get people to sign up to Rangers Lotto and help finance all this.

Ajax play in a larger league with quite a few 'whipping boys', the SPL was shrunk to get rid of meaningless games against smaller teams, that's worked out really well, hasn't it!
There isn’t a measure you could name where the smaller leagues have been or produced success.
The thing is, we were warned.

We are copying the Ajax model. Our elite squads attend Boclair Academy. Our coaches take the schools PE periods and they get involved in other sports but obviously football takes priority.
We as a support need to have patience and support the youths when they get opportunities.
Get people to sign up to Rangers Lotto and help finance all this.

I agree with the second point.

I disagree that we have the same education system in place that Ajax do.

I agree with the second point.

I disagree that we have the same education system in place that Ajax do.
You are right 're the education systems but what would be the cost of setting up our own school? This where it all comes down to finance. Within our current limits we are doing a great job.
Most Importantly it will come down to the mind set of the skilled youths who have a real chance. And the club having the balls to give them that chance.

You are right 're the education systems but what would be the cost of setting up our own school? This where it all comes down to finance. Within our current limits we are doing a great job.
Most Importantly it will come down to the mind set of the skilled youths who have a real chance. And the club having the balls to give them that chance.

Oh I agree mate, that's why I think we missed the boat with this. It would have been possible in the late 80's when Ajax were first starting their academy. It's way beyond our reach now though. And I don't think our fans have the correct mentality for a club with the Youth at the heart of it. Which saddens me to be honest.

Back