Albion Rovers - looks bleak

iaatpies

A mate of mine is a former player and one of their record goalscorers so used to look out for their scores.
Realistically though these clubs are just blocking the path of more progressive clubs and the likes of a Rangers B team playing competitive football.
B teams aren't progressive. Having colt sides who are artificially pegged back and prevented from reaching a higher level of football aren't doing anything for the game. Kids will learn far more playing with and against professionals in a competitive dressing room where teams are playing for promotion or relegation than they will playing for colt sides in a glorified reserve system.

Cup games featuring colt teams have been roundly rejected by fans of lower league clubs. Folk would rather stay away than watch their lower league side play Rangers or Celtic under 20s.

iaatpies

There's not enough money in our game to support the amount of clubs in this current set up. Teams must join forces or face a bleak future.
There's some junior clubs that would easily replace them though.
Thats not going to happen.

Inverness Caley aren't liked within Inverness. Numerous fans of the 2 former teams walked away from football when Caley and Thistle merged. Ross County have a stronger fanbase despite being from a smaller town. The city of Inverness has never really embraced Caley Thistle.

It's a myth that merging teams would lead to stronger clubs. You'd have a few fans who'd go for the novelty factor or who never went to see the individual sides and a mass rejection of the new entity by those who actually cared for the original clubs. It's bunkum.

As for the juniors looking to replace some of the struggling lower league sides, the Highland/Lowland league set-up hasn't really produced much so far. Edinburgh City went up. East Stirling went down. Has it revolutionised the lower leagues and offered ambitious teams the chance to progress? Edinburgh City are to be admired given their commitment to community football but their story hasn't been repeated by another side. As for the juniors? How many junior sides could afford to provide facilities that would meet the minimum threshold for the professional game? How many would be willing to put their finances up for proper scrutiny? How many of them would be willing to give up local rivalries for the chance of joining the senior ranks?

The biggest threat to football in Scotland isnt that we have too many clubs. We have too few fans. Whether we had 42 clubs, 32 clubs, a single league of 12 clubs or 82 clubs wouldn't change the fact that too few people experience football as a live spectacle on a Saturday afternoon. You're not going to attract new fans to the game, or concentrate the existing supporter numbers, by merging clubs and killing off teams that have served a local community for 100 years and more. The only way you can hope to do it is by making football a central part of Scottish culture again and by getting more fans to go along and experience a game as something more than a TV show.

Grampian Bear

Official Ticketer
We're Albion the only team that we didn't play a league game against during our journey back up the league's?

Kirbybear

I agree mate there are simply too many clubs most of whom should be amateur or semi professional. Teams with stadiums like Hamilton have no place in a top league. All top level teams should have a grass pitch and 4 proper stands no gazebo type stuff. Those that don’t meet that criteria shouldn’t be in the championship or premiership.
This absolutely

Kinbo

Albion Rovers would go into the Lowland League.
If a North League club lost the play off they would go into the Highland League.
Effectively could mean odd number of teams in either Lowland or Highland League
That’s insane.
Could also mean that if Inverness got relegated back to the highland league, the stupid merger would have been all for nothing.

top_cat

I stay 10 minutes in the car from them, never been to their stadium once, couldn't care less if they went under, far too many teams in Scotland, f.uck it feels like we've played Killie 47 times this season already.

The SFA and associated bodies can do one.

Mancbear

Albion Rovers would go into the Lowland League.
If a North League club lost the play off they would go into the Highland League.
Effectively could mean odd number of teams in either Lowland or Highland League
They would even up the Lowland League as there is about 40 clubs below it trying to get in. As for the Highlands, who knows, as they don't want a Highland League 2 or any feeder Leagues into it

superallythe2nd

Did their fans want us dead...?
I remember a note in their programme (or maybe on a website article) when we played them having a dig about us voting them out of the league back in the 60s or 70s.

Something about how the roles were (at the time) reversed and a "new club" jibe for good measure.

Tarriers without the bus fare right enough.
On that note, fùck them.

subversive_bear

I stay 10 minutes in the car from them, never been to their stadium once, couldn't care less if they went under, far too many teams in Scotland, f.uck it feels like we've played Killie 47 times this season already.
That's down to the league structure though and not the number of clubs though mate.

the bigman

How does that work out?

Say it's Albion Rovers v Brora Rangers in the playoff and Brora Rangers win and get into league 2 , where does Albion Rovers go?
There is a space in the Lowland league to be filled after Selkirk dropped out due to financial issues. As a result, the league is playing one team short. Rovers would drop in to that slot and likely leave the highland league needing a new team

tcbuzz

We're Albion the only team that we didn't play a league game against during our journey back up the league's?
Dundee United too. We played against Dundee United in the Scottish Cup, and Albion Rovers in the Ramsdens cup, and the Scottish Cup, which went to a replay.

Business_Bear

Cove Rangers or east kilbride would bring as much if not more than albion Rangers if they swap leagues
I'd agree, seems to be plenty ambition about EK. Do they have plans to move on from K Park at any point?

Its a great facility but they'd surely want more of a stadium should they get promoted?

omegaman

Let’s be honest, few are going to miss them if they go down.

Someone will come up to replace them in the overblown setup we have in Scotland, and if they disappear altogether as a result, so be it - we’re talking about a club who pull in what, 200 punters maybe?

There’s junior sides who are better supported.

jimmy5141

I know a couple of folk in the Rovers trust and went to a fundraiser on Friday at Coatbridge bowling club where there was about 60 folk and they raised £1,500 and have a few more fundraising nights coming up but it is the same folk turning up and putting their hands in their pockets for these events and these folk are not well off so fair play to them.

HunterRFC

The SFA and associated bodies can do one.
Not too sound like a knob, but, surely saying there are too many teams in Scotland and then complaining about how many times we've played the same team are 2 opposite arguments lol?

I do agree though, there are far too many teams for a country this size!

KuwaitBear

Scottish football needs a massive rethink and overhaul, sadly I think it will take a number of clubs to go to the wall before that happens.

YorkshireBlue

A victim of the same ten shit teams playing each other 4 times a year with travel across all of Scotland.

The SPFL are to blame for any club going under.

dazzapat

I know a couple of folk in the Rovers trust and went to a fundraiser on Friday at Coatbridge bowling club where there was about 60 folk and they raised £1,500 and have a few more fundraising nights coming up but it is the same folk turning up and putting their hands in their pockets for these events and these folk are not well off so fair play to them.
Thing is, they don't seem to engage the local community in any way and events like that should be widely advertised somehow.

They should be chapping doors or dropping leaflets through doors to encourage people to support their local team and come along to these types of events.

I've lived in Coatbridge most of my life, have 9 year old boy and I can honestly say I've never seen them involved in any football related event in his school which is a stones throw away from their ground.

Gmcg95

There's not enough money in our game to support the amount of clubs in this current set up. Teams must join forces or face a bleak future.
There's some junior clubs that would easily replace them though.
Yes there is. With the addition of the Lowland League, EOS League etc clubs like Albion Rovers find their level over time.

A bigger problem for teams like these is the ridiculous amounts of money being spent on Part-time players, £200-£300 a week. Ridiculous.

superallythe2nd

I'd agree, seems to be plenty ambition about EK. Do they have plans to move on from K Park at any point?

Its a great facility but they'd surely want more of a stadium should they get promoted?
They've certainly applied for planning permission for a ground up at Langlands. Unsure if it is been approved or not but they definitely in the pipeline

kennylanglea

Have two friends who support them.

Absolutely passionate about the club and never miss a game. Means everything to them.

Both non RC’s and couldn’t give a stuff about Celtic

Both have told me in recent months that the financial situation at the club is grim.

Both puzzled as to where the money from Cup ties against Rangers,Celtic and Motherwell went.

Morelos20

They lost Darren Young in the summer as they told him they wouldn't have money to back him with players as his budget was getting cut again. They hired a manager from the juniors to replace Young and he basically signed junior players from clubs he had managed in the past.

The money they got from games against us was used to improve their ground.
I doubt there’s been 250k spent on the ground since there inception never mind a few years ago, surely half the ground wouldn’t be a total health and safety issue and unable to hold fans if it had been?

dt17

A mate of mine.....
Yes there is. With the addition of the Lowland League, EOS League etc clubs like Albion Rovers find their level over time.

A bigger problem for teams like these is the ridiculous amounts of money being spent on Part-time players, £200-£300 a week. Ridiculous.
Nobody at Albion Rovers is getting anywhere near that. In fact I know a boy who was playing there for £20 a week a few years ago.

rick

I’ve read this thread with interest. As someone who has attended ARFC for over 40 years and former chairman of their supporters club I feel I should add my tuppence worth. The ground was severely neglected for 30 years and the new legislation after Bradford/Heysel/ Hillsborough basically killed it off. Cliftonhill is a large site. A few people might be surprised to learn that acreage wise it is larger than Pittodrie for instance. I disagree that rovers fans are Tims without the bus fare but accept that Rovers can never really be successful as the majority of Coatbridge will only ever support the beggars. As for this season. In my opinion we are doomed although I still think we are better than an absolutely dreadful Berwick side. As for myself I try to get to Ibrox a few times a season to cheer the Gers on and always enjoy my visits. I’ll probably know a few of you from Carson’s. Good luck to Rovers and Rangers

iaatpies

I’ve read this thread with interest. As someone who has attended ARFC for over 40 years and former chairman of their supporters club I feel I should add my tuppence worth. The ground was severely neglected for 30 years and the new legislation after Bradford/Heysel/ Hillsborough basically killed it off. Cliftonhill is a large site. A few people might be surprised to learn that acreage wise it is larger than Pittodrie for instance. I disagree that rovers fans are Tims without the bus fare but accept that Rovers can never really be successful as the majority of Coatbridge will only ever support the beggars. As for this season. In my opinion we are doomed although I still think we are better than an absolutely dreadful Berwick side. As for myself I try to get to Ibrox a few times a season to cheer the Gers on and always enjoy my visits. I’ll probably know a few of you from Carson’s. Good luck to Rovers and Rangers
You could say the same thing for clubs all over the central belt and probably beyond.

Towns don't value their local football club nearly as much as they should. Take a kid along to a lower league game and you'll find them watching in disbelief as they witness stray passing, industrial tackling and long balls. To them that just isnt football. Then there's the adults who bought into televised top flight football in a big way and who wouldn't dream of going to a game on a Saturday afternoon - why leave the couch, the pub or the bookies to watch a game in the cold when you can track results from the warmth of whatever venue suits you? Add in adults who judge football fans against the horror stories of English hooliganism and through the actions of a minority of old firm fans who take the rivalry too far. They'll happily go along to Scotstoun or Braehead to follow the rugby or the hockey but wouldn't go to watch Albion Rovers, Clyde, Dumbarton or Queens Park.

We absolutely need massive change within Scottish football but that needs to be matched by a change in Scottish society. The only thing that will improve the situation is for more people to attend matches. Playing around with the number of clubs or inventing new leagues that will end up being of an almost indistinguishable level will be no more effective than rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.