Alex Lowry

How can you expect us to compete with EPL sides though? 5k for an 18 year old is a very good deal for us but Newcastle will be able to easily double/treble that and we simply can't compete with it.
By putting a new deal infront of him before Newcastle are even interested in the first place.

Ideally straight after his first standout appearance in the cup months ago.

Ross Wilson sitting on his hands as per usual.

By putting a new deal infront of him before Newcastle are even interested in the first place.

If you go with that article then he has been offered contracts and knocked them back so what can Wilson do about that?

How can you expect us to compete with EPL sides though? 5k for an 18 year old is a very good deal for us but Newcastle will be able to easily double/treble that and we simply can't compete with it.
I don't expect us to compete with the EPL.I'm making the point whether our Academy is value for money or not if we lose our best youngsters to them.
Nathan Patterson imo is going to be the exception to the way things will go.Getting the money we got for him was great deal for a non regular first team player.
I agree with you that 5k a week for an 18yr old in our league is decent money but it may not be enough to keep our best.I'd love him to stay and make the breakthrough next season when they'll be a big turnover in the squad.

I don't expect us to compete with the EPL.I'm making the point whether our Academy is value for money or not if we lose our best youngsters to them.
Nathan Patterson imo is going to be the exception to the way things will go.Getting the money we got for him was great deal for a non regular first team player.
I agree with you that 5k a week for an 18yr old in our league is decent money but it may not be enough to keep our best.I'd love him to stay and make the breakthrough next season when they'll be a big turnover in the squad.

The Patterson fee likely paid for the academy for many years.

We’re not going to compete with the EPL. People need to accept that. The idea we simply get rid of the academy, though, is just madness.

Well we got £500k for Gilmour, fee for Dire Mebude and upto £16m for Patterson so the academy is value for money for the club. EPL clubs are going to come here now for talent given its harder for them to sign players from Europe now due to brexit.

You would like to think with the rebuild in the summer then Lowry and McCann will be part of the first team moving forward but fact is if Newcastle are offering him big money then he's going to go.

He won’t be playing regularly until he signs a new deal, and rightly so.
He might have signed a new deal if he had been given some games vs. some very weak players and performances that have featured over the last few weeks. We've had a couple of good results but desperately needed a change in midfield weeks ago that was crying out for a player like him. Why would he be overly keen on signing a contract with a team where the manager clearly and obviously doesn't want him to play, regardless of other players form or his potential? Granted he was injured for a little bit but even before that he was not in Gio's plans.

The Patterson fee likely paid for the academy for many years.

We’re not going to compete with the EPL. People need to accept that. The idea we simply get rid of the academy, though, is just madness.

How anyone can see the emergence of the likes of Gilmour, Patterson and Lowry in recent years and not realise the idiocy of the idea of scrapping the youth system, is truly beyond me.

Eventually one of our youth players will nail down a first team place. Keeping a hold of our most talented players is going to be an issue at Rangers. It's just the way football is, but plenty of talents get overlooked by big clubs, that happens. So we aren't going to consistently lose our best and brightest every time.

As far as the accusations among some posters, of youth players being overlooked by the manager. It's a total nonsense. Lowry was blooded in a game by the manager when he had more experienced options on the bench. McCann has been given time on the pitch too. Where the idea that Gio is resistant to the idea of playing Youth, has come from is befuddling to me. We have had a run of some very tough, high profile, high intensity matches of late, that is not the time to blood youngsters ffs. Lowry's time will come, of that I'm in no doubt.

Need to start getting serious with talent.
If we can throw X at players like Itten and Wright..,we can speculate a bit more when we feel the talent is real in order to keep them and ready ourselves for a future big sale. Yes there's a degree of gamble but we need to try hard to keep these lads and see them play.

Totally agree, I see him as a replacement for Aribo now.
Having watched the young team yesterday, he was by far the stand out and made Julie Ann look like a dick a few times.
He was over the moon winning yesterday and on Sunday and the feel good factor around the club at the moment would suggest this week would be a good time for Wilson, Gio et al to get sat down with him and his agent and see if something can get fleshed out before others come calling.

Well we got £500k for Gilmour, fee for Dire Mebude and upto £16m for Patterson so the academy is value for money for the club. EPL clubs are going to come here now for talent given its harder for them to sign players from Europe now due to brexit.

You would like to think with the rebuild in the summer then Lowry and McCann will be part of the first team moving forward but fact is if Newcastle are offering him big money then he's going to go.

The Lewis McLeod fee was significant as well. Particularly for where we were. Even if we never got the fee for Patterson, if it wasnt for one of our all time great RBs in Tav keeping him out the team, he would be a first team player by now. So the academy does have merit. Even if its frustrating losing talented players before they establish themselves

Crazy we’ve offered a young lad 5k a week and he’s knocked it back. How far do we go?
I'm not sure what our wages are like nowadays but I think he's already shown he's a better player than Wright for example & should be on more money than him. Since Hagi has been injured Lowry has been by far the best of the players tried at right wing.

Even if it is true and there's EPL clubs wanting him like Newcastle then it's impossible for the club to match what they can offer Lowry.
Impossible to match them financially but we could and should be offering him 1st team football something he wont get straight away at newcastle , lowry should be in the side before wright but as usual we f**k about with young lads

Ross Wilson is an abject failure at signing players up to new contracts. 1st team or B team it seems to be beyond him.

Stadium tours for new players are the only thing he excels at.

If we lose Lowry, having barely seen him, then that’s another serious failing on the part of the DoF and those around him.
Not if we get Patterson levels of money for him. That’s the reality of trying to become a club like Ajax or Benfica, they don’t all get to flourish before they leave.

As bad as "transfer tavern" who have different made up stories about us every day. Today it's Helander going to Villa in the summer.

Impossible to match them financially but we could and should be offering him 1st team football something he wont get straight away at newcastle , lowry should be in the side before wright but as usual we f**k about with young lads

The 2 of them play different positions so for me the comparisons with Wright are unfair. I would like to see more of Lowry in these last 5 league matches to see what he can do given he's a talented kid. Even if he was playing first team football and an EPL side comes calling then he's still going to go as it would be life changing money for him and the club would get a good fee for him as well.

Even if Newcastle can't provide him first team football then the setup down south for youth players is far better than it is up here.

Because half the club are running down their contracts.

Ross Wilson is clearly just bad at his job at that point.
I’m pretty certain he’ll have been offered a deal before now, after Wilson got him to sign an extension in the summer - which is always omitted in this discussion.

If he doesn’t renew then fair enough, we sell him in the summer but I think he will renew anyway.

Won’t stop the constant Wilson slagging right enough, which I don’t agree with at all but each to their own.

Last edited:
Even if it is true and there's EPL clubs wanting him like Newcastle then it's impossible for the club to match what they can offer Lowry.
If Rangers are offering first team football, playing in Europe, and paying him first team wages, then that will be very attractive to the lad.
He will know all about what Nathan Patterson will have got from Everton but he will also note that Nathan is not kicking a ball in the first team, although he is injured at the moment.
I genuinely think if we offered him a contract to give him a chance to really build his reputation, he would probably accept it knowing if he goes on to great things then he is going to go for multi multi millions.

How do you know this hasn't happened? Do you know all the inner dealings of inside the club

He was offered, and rejected, a new deal before that Stirling Albion appearance by all accounts. And again in February allegedly.

I‘d love to see him extend but I wouldn’t describe the reported £5k a week as ‘ridiculous’ as some have. Its a very decent offer for where he is in his career.

If Rangers are offering first team football, playing in Europe, and paying him first team wages, then that will be very attractive to the lad.
He will know all about what Nathan Patterson will have got from Everton but he will also note that Nathan is not kicking a ball in the first team, although he is injured at the moment.
I genuinely think if we offered him a contract to give him a chance to really build his reputation, he would probably accept it knowing if he goes on to great things then he is going to go for multi multi millions.

Yeah possibly but down south they have a far better youth system setup than there is in Scotland in terms of having 18s, 23s, EPL2 to prepare them for first team football so even that could be attractive to Lowry.

I want nothing more than for him to stay and kick on next season within the first team due to how talented a player he appears to be. I just think we need to be realistic though in terms of what we can offer him for what is essential potential at the moment and what is available down south.

Yeah possibly but down south they have a far better youth system setup than there is in Scotland in terms of having 18s, 23s, EPL2 to prepare them for first team football so even that could be attractive to Lowry.

I want nothing more than for him to stay and kick on next season within the first team due to how talented a player he appears to be. I just think we need to be realistic though in terms of what we can offer him for what is essential potential at the moment and what is available down south.
With Ramsey, Aribo, Davis and probably Kamara gone this summer there really should be a first team wage available for someone like Lowry.
From Rangers perspective it would be a decent investment as you would be looking at another Patterson potentially in two seasons.
Yes, there is a risk that he doesn’t kick on but it seems quite slim.
At the very least he would be able to fill a jersey well against much of the SPFL dross even if he could not step up in Europe or against the scum.

Ah, he seems a reasonable and well-adjusted individual.

Exactly the type of anonymous source with intimate knowledge of our contracts that you can trust…
His sister is a long term partner of Andy Halliday’s. He’s definitely got inside information of what’s going on.

With Ramsey, Aribo, Davis and probably Kamara gone this summer there really should be a first team wage available for someone like Lowry.
From Rangers perspective it would be a decent investment as you would be looking at another Patterson potentially in two seasons.
Yes, there is a risk that he doesn’t kick on but it seems quite slim.
At the very least he would be able to fill a jersey well against much of the SPFL dross even if he could not step up in Europe or against the scum.

Yeah agreed on that he should be in the squad next season and should see plenty of game time. I want to see him involved in the remaining league games that need to be played to see how he gets on.

I’m pretty certain he’ll have been offered a deal before now, after Wilson got him to sign an extension in the summer - which is always omitted in this discussion.

If he doesn’t renew then fair enough, we sell him in the summer but I think he will renew anyway.

Won’t stop the constant Wilson slagging right enough, which I don’t agree with at all but each to their own.

People are completely overlooking the fact he signed a new deal last summer.

Also I remember similar hysteria surrounding the Patterson, King and Kai Kennedy contract renewal talks. All eventually signed new deals.

Blows my mind you've got fans shitting all over the club because a Youth player appears to be keeping his options open. Why do people constantly feel the need to overreact first, rather than wait and see how negotiations go!? Chances are Lowry is keeping his options open to see how this summer goes and whether or not he officially gets promoted to the first team for pre season like Patterson did 2 summers ago.

Back