Alex Lowry

I'm not going to speak for other fans as seems to be common in this thread, but for me the concern is how much we get for him, considering his contract is nearly up. Which isn't a figure anyone knows but I think it's a reasonable concern.

Assuming he doesn't sign a new deal, I believe he will btw, then I assume we'll get quite a low fee for him, comparative to his potential. We can only offer him a deal that we think is adequate, the club has to walk fine line when dishing contracts out to youth players because once you go above a certain threshold. That then becomes the benchmark for agents. So the club should only give him a deal that they can realistically match in the future. No point breaking the bank to keep a youngster, if it means you're going to have to one up yourself every other year. We can't compete with down south when it comes to wages. So here's hoping we can give him enough scope to develop in our first team. Nathan Patterson's story should be useful to us.

We really should be looking at players with under 2 years left and automatically looking to renew with them. I feel this isn’t just a chance occurrence and seems poor business sense to have quite a few players approaching the last year. I would love to get Lowry a new deal

We really should be looking at players with under 2 years left and automatically looking to renew with them. I feel this isn’t just a chance occurrence and seems poor business sense to have quite a few players approaching the last year. I would love to get Lowry a new deal

We renewed Lowry's contract last summer. The issue is you can't dish out super long contracts to young players. Last summer he hadn't shown he was ready to step into the first team, he's ready now and it just so happens he's heading into the final year of his deal next summer.

It's not poor business sense to offer youth players short contracts. Youth contracts and first team contracts are completely different. I have gripes with the current admin for their failure with the first team but they've been fairly good with youth contracts up until now. Lowry will either sign a new deal this summer or he won't, I'm hopeful that he will, but if he doesn't then the club can't and shouldn't break the bank to keep him. We can't compete with PL wages. Hopefully Lowry gets minutes in the coming weeks and that ultimately sways him into staying and signing a new deal. It didn't do Nathan Patterson any harm.

We renewed Lowry's contract last summer. The issue is you can't dish out super long contracts to young players. Last summer he hadn't shown he was ready to step into the first team, he's ready now and it just so happens he's heading into the final year of his deal next summer.

It's not poor business sense to offer youth players short contracts. Youth contracts and first team contracts are completely different. I have gripes with the current admin for their failure with the first team but they've been fairly good with youth contracts up until now. Lowry will either sign a new deal this summer or he won't, I'm hopeful that he will, but if he doesn't then the club can't and shouldn't break the bank to keep him. We can't compete with PL wages. Hopefully Lowry gets minutes in the coming weeks and that ultimately sways him into staying and signing a new deal. It didn't do Nathan Patterson any harm.
I didn’t know Lowry had signed a new deal last summer. I get what you are saying but it is frustrating to watch this potentially happen.

I feel the management team are looking to see this season out and that (I can imagine) he will have been promised more game time next year. A pre season with the seniors and some players out and in and he will play a bigger role.

I think he will stay tbh

I hope he stays but EPL teams can always blow us out the water with wages and that may be enough to turn the head of any player.

I didn’t know Lowry had signed a new deal last summer. I get what you are saying but it is frustrating to watch this potentially happen.
It’ll always happen with young players due to not being able to give them longer contracts. It’s up to the club to convince them to stay by giving them game time which hopefully will come next season were he will play a more prominent position imo.

H&H saying we have offered him a very good deal and a clear path to regular playing time.

Up to him to decide what is best for his development/career
A very good deal as in money akin to what we pay Wright / Itten / Simpson not to contribute or a very good deal....for a boy starting out?

Back