Alex Lowry

Offering 5k a week to Lowry isn’t a poor offer, it’s a good offer for him at this point in his career. Ultimately it’s hard to compete with those in England who offer good wages. And even if that guy is related to Andy Halliday partner in some way, how the %^*& would he know Alex Lowry’s contract situation?

Understand the frustration but I’m not sure what it is the club are meant to do. PL teams like Newcastle can come and offer 10-20k a week to youth players because it’s absolute pennies to them. It’s clearly not realistic for us to be able to match that.

What we can do however is show a path to the first team and prove that staying and developing for longer will benefit the player. Gilmour probably showed if you’re really good enough you don’t need to hang around, but Patterson is a better example of how staying and playing can get you a great move.

Lowry probably should’ve had some more minutes, but hopefully he’ll be involved in our remaining league games this season and look to be a proper squad player next season if he’s still here (which I expect he will be).

Picking up again.
This is going to happen more often. The best youngsters are going to get picked off.
Patterson, Lowry.
Happened to them with Morrison and the other boy going to Bayern, Ben Doak to Liverpool.
Something we've been immune to, as our youths have been mostly rubbish until the last couple of years.
This thread has reignited offf the back of this tweet. This guy doesn’t have a fucking Scooby.

Not sure if this has already been posted as just read it this morning on FOOTBALL INSIDER.

Source: Newcastle United in hotel talks over signing Rangers sensation Alex Lowry​

Newcastle United have held talks over signing Rangers sensation Alex Lowry this summer, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.

This site revealed last Monday that the Glasgow giants have offered the attacking midfielder, 18, a new contract worth £5,000-a-week after, as revealed on 16 February, he knocked back their opening contract offer.

A recruitment source has told Football Insiderthat Newcastle are at the front of the queue of Premier League clubs keen to lure Lowry south of the border.

His agent met Newcastle head of recruitment Steve Nickson in a hotel ahead of the Premier League clash against Wolves on 8 April.

United outlined their interest in a deal but they face competition from top-tier rivals.

Lowry is weighing up his options as Rangers try to stop him heading out this summer.

The Scottish Cup finalists want the youngster to agree to a new deal running to summer 2024 and that would replace his existing agreement, which expires next year.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst and club officials arranged a meeting last week with the teenager and his family in a bid to persuade him to stay.

The club believe the youngster has huge potential and are aware of interest from south of the border.

No idea how reliable their ‘source’ is.
Please stop way the insider info crap literally never had a post that’s been credible

Agbonlahor and paddy Kenny are the 2 names it usually quotes as it’s pro with info

File under peeeeeesh block insider on fb is your best bet

No quotes

Recycled info on us offering him a deal he rejected months ago and said he would wait till the summer

The fact of the matter is that if he’s offered silly money he will take it and leave.

It may be correct from a footballing standpoint to say, ‘stay at Ibrox and develop into a first team regular and the big bucks will still be there’. However, what happens if he doesn’t kick on, and he fails to claim a starting jersey at Ibrox? Those big money deals will evaporate.

That’s why any young player with talent will cash in on the first big deal on offer. Even if they don’t kick another ball in anger, they’ll be set for life.

Some folk simply haven’t ever mentally adjusted to the fact that we are now a selling club.

They've also not adjusted to the idea that we no longer can go out and buy high level talent either, if the transfer threads in recent years are anything to go by that is. Bit of a weird place to be as a support tbh.

We are going to sell players, a lot. Shock horror, we also aren't going to go out and buy a like for like replacement either.

They've also not adjusted to the idea that we no longer can go out and buy high level talent either, if the transfer threads in recent years are anything to go by that is. Bit of a weird place to be as a support tbh.

We are going to sell players, a lot. Shock horror, we also aren't going to go out and buy a like for like replacement either.
We really need to be chasing good bosmans and players coming to the end of their deals.

Realistically it's the only way we'll get the likes of Doekhi as an example.

Football insider rumours

Roll a Dungeons and Dragons style die and match the number rolled with the corresponding bullshit rumours they put on the whiteboard that morning

Or they Google a name and make up bullshit either way it’s all shite

Football insider rumours

Roll a Dungeons and Dragons style die and match the number rolled with the corresponding bullshit rumours they put on the whiteboard that morning

Or they Google a name and make up bullshit either way it’s all shite
In fairness I think they've had a decent track record recently with Rangers transfers.

We really need to be chasing good bosmans and players coming to the end of their deals.

Realistically it's the only way we'll get the likes of Doekhi as an example.

I think the club already does quite well in that area as it stands. Hopefully we fair well in that market again this summer. It's the most cost effective way of improving the first 11 imo. A lot of risk signing guys for £3-6 million quid and then them not working out.

Picking up again.
This is going to happen more often. The best youngsters are going to get picked off.
Patterson, Lowry.
Happened to them with Morrison and the other boy going to Bayern, Ben Doak to Liverpool.
Something we've been immune to, as our youths have been mostly rubbish until the last couple of years.
Until Stevie G completely revamped our whole setup, we owe that man a great deal, people forget how much of a basket case of a club we were both on and off the park when SG arrived. He was different class.

Losing our youth players before they turn professional (Gilmour, Mebude & possibly Wilson) isn’t something I get too aggrieved about as there is not much we can do.

If we lose Lowry, its a fucking joke.

I’m pretty certain he’ll have been offered a deal before now, after Wilson got him to sign an extension in the summer - which is always omitted in this discussion.

If he doesn’t renew then fair enough, we sell him in the summer but I think he will renew anyway.

Won’t stop the constant Wilson slagging right enough, which I don’t agree with at all but each to their own.
I’d keep him & play him next season , him & Hagi can play the Ramsey/Aribo roles , even if he leaves we’ll be no worse off , if we do play him I’d imagine he’d be keener to remain .

I’d like to see Lowry tied down and I don’t see why he can’t have an impact next season - he’s clearly got ability.

Would he have offered any less than Aaron Ramsey this season in the games he’s played? Scott Wright came on for Ramey and you barley noticed the drop of. If any. Sunday especially.

Much rather the likes of Lowry getting game time than another under 23 loan signing from the English Premiership that’s going to contribute bugger all.

This thread has reignited offf the back of this tweet. This guy doesn’t have a fucking Scooby.
This account is well-known for just scouring newsnow/football insider/twitter and the rest and rehashing stories as his own.

Absolutely no knowledge but even a blind pig and all that...

Lowry is under a professional contract so unless Rangers have gave permission or a transfer fee has been agreed them it’s fake news!

I’d like to see Lowry tied down and I don’t see why he can’t have an impact next season - he’s clearly got ability.

Would he have offered any less than Aaron Ramsey this season in the games he’s played? Scott Wright came on for Ramey and you barley noticed the drop of. If any. Sunday especially.

Much rather the likes of Lowry getting game time than another under 23 loan signing from the English Premiership that’s going to contribute bugger all.

Most likely, yes.

The need to brute force Ramsey into every debate on here is beyond tiresome at this point.

Wright is nowhere near the level and proved that again on Sunday.

Why is it all that different?

Because the likes of Gilmour and Rory Wilson couldn't sign pro contracts until they turned 16 so they can go wherever they want and Rangers would get a development fee for them. If Newcastle wanted Lowry then they would have to pay a transfer fee as he's on a professional contract at the club.

Some take this lol, I think people are getting far far too hyped up about Lowry. Is he a very talented youngster, yes. Does that mean he can instantly come into the Rangers first XI and contribute massively? No, he’s had some decent cameos against lower level opposition.

Would he do well away at the likes of Celtic, Hearts, Hibs & sheep, that’s yet to be seen. FWIW, I thought he had a poor game against Celtic B the other day, I know he’s just back from injury and he stood out against them at Ibrox, but that just shows the total inconsistency with youngsters that unfortunately, Gio can’t take punts on.

For example if we loose the Scottish cup (god forbid) and get pumped off Leipzig, Gio will be on a shoogly peg in the eyes of the support again. He’s going to rely on his own signings and seasoned pros.

Most likely, yes.

The need to brute force Ramsey into every debate on here is beyond tiresome at this point.

Wright is nowhere near the level and proved that again on Sunday.

We never signed a player in a similar position in January so that’s why Ramsey was mentioned. Ramsey also has barley contributed and is once again out injured.

To make you happy I’ll add in Kamara, Arfield and Aribo - three players who have underperformed in recent months. Surely there were times Lowry could have been used instead of Kamara in an advanced role or Arfield being run into the ground?

I don’t think Wright is the level required but he had a good game on Sunday when he came on. No worse than Ramsey.

Someone else mentioned; Would he do well away at the likes of Celtic, Hearts, Hibs & sheep, that’s yet to be seen.

How do we know until he’s thrown in? You can’t always live scared to make a decision in case it costs us - we stick with the tried and tested and dropped points. Seasoned pros throwing clangers and costing us.

If we cannot afford to pay these youngsters enough to keep them at the club then we should get rid of the Academy.
All we are doing is being a feeder club for our best young lads.
Problem is we make money from the academy up until a player is 24 the clubs these players have been at get percentages of the transfer fees, you only need one or 2 every few years to make it the academy is in profit from big sales and that's not mentioning all the smaller fees for players we have trained.

We never signed a player in a similar position in January so that’s why Ramsey was mentioned. Ramsey also has barley contributed and is once again out injured.

To make you happy I’ll add in Kamara, Arfield and Aribo - three players who have underperformed in recent months. Surely there were times Lowry could have been used instead of Kamara in an advanced role or Arfield being run into the ground?

I don’t think Wright is the level required but he had a good game on Sunday when he came on. No worse than Ramsey.

Someone else mentioned; Would he do well away at the likes of Celtic, Hearts, Hibs & sheep, that’s yet to be seen.

How do we know until he’s thrown in? You can’t always live scared to make a decision in case it costs us - we stick with the tried and tested and dropped points. Seasoned pros throwing clangers and costing us.

:D

Usually enjoy your posts, fella. But that is madness. Wright is nearly 25 and still has no idea what position he's supposed to take up on the pitch. The lack of end product I can forgive, but not how he was defensively neglegent and constantly leaving his full back exposed.

Lowry should have seen more game time but Ramsey has not been the complete write off people are suggesting. I'm not sure a kid is putting in the same performance he does against Braga, for example.

if lowry leaves its another sickener, the boy can go to the very top of the game and i think he has even more potential then patterson and gilmour

They complain about ticket prices, prices of merchandise, playing friendlies to generate additional operating revenue.

Then complain about not having enough money to pay higher watches despite running at a loss per the financials the last 8 years....

Because the likes of Gilmour and Rory Wilson couldn't sign pro contracts until they turned 16 so they can go wherever they want and Rangers would get a development fee for them. If Newcastle wanted Lowry then they would have to pay a transfer fee as he's on a professional contract at the club.
Yes but it's the same thing stopping them - the offer of more money down south.

We went through all this with King and he had much better teams than Newcastle after him then he signed a deal so let’s see what happens

Need to start getting serious with talent.
If we can throw X at players like Itten and Wright..,we can speculate a bit more when we feel the talent is real in order to keep them and ready ourselves for a future big sale. Yes there's a degree of gamble but we need to try hard to keep these lads and see them play.
It can both save and make us a lot of money going forward.

It makes sense both from a football and financial perspective to have a set up that produces home-grown talent and that includes bringing youngsters in from other parts of the world.

H&H saying we have offered him a very good deal and a clear path to regular playing time.

Up to him to decide what is best for his development/career

All we can do is offer him what we think he is worth and what game time he would get and see if he wants to stay.

If not get the best money we can for him. I'm sure we will go on.

I'm not going to speak for other fans as seems to be common in this thread, but for me the concern is how much we get for him, considering his contract is nearly up. Which isn't a figure anyone knows but I think it's a reasonable concern.

Guys like Aribo, Kent, Bassey, Kamara etc could earn £50k a week as regulars in the Prem at 25ish.

Or you could go to the Prem now, grab yourself £20k, never play, get loaned to Reading then move permanently to Barnsley at 23 on £5k.

Back