Alex Lowry

The definition of the silky footballer. He glides past opponents and has superb passing ability.
Covers the pitch, works hard and a great touch. His passing is above ALL of that.

So, so comfortable on the ball. A joy to watch and looks ready.

Reminds me of a young Barry Ferguson. Incredibly positive in possession with a range of passing well beyond his years. What a prospect he is.
Different player entirely to Barry Ferguson, but they have the same belief in their ability.
It's a long time since we've seen a young player with the ability young Alex has.
He's more than ready for the top team right now.

He has the talent it's all there to see but he has no fear, he plays his game. I've seen far too many youth players get cameos and all they've done is play it safe within the team. He hasn't, he'll slide, dink and chip balls to players no second thought that he might f*ck it up so he won't do it.

I think we all believe that Aribo will be away in the summer, this lad looks like he could slot right in there.

He has the talent it's all there to see but he has no fear, he plays his game. I've seen far too many youth players get cameos and all they've done is play it safe within the team. He hasn't, he'll slide, dink and chip balls to players no second thought that he might f*ck it up so he won't do it.
Totally agree - almost on the right side of arrogant. Like he knows he belongs there. I admire that in him. Ferguson had the same attitude.

Different player entirely to Barry Ferguson, but they have the same belief in their ability.
It's a long time since we've seen a young player with the ability young Alex has.
Better feet than Barry, more like a Durrant or a Trevor Steven the way he glides.

I know what you mean, I think most of our youngster have played like they belong rather than being a youth player filling it.

A lot of the same footballing attributes, skill-level, confidence. However, I agree, different style from fergie. Less 'controlling' more free-flowing and direct. Risk-taker.

Very excited by this young guy. He looked a bit above the rest of the young guns in the Al-Kass tourney a few years ago.

A lot of fans seem to compare him to modric because of his hair. I think he's more like nedved. An outstanding talent and if he does half of what nedved did we will be looking at 1 of our greatest ever

I think there’s a tendency to over-praise youth players who come and maybe don’t do a lot wrong but actually don’t impact the game in any meaningful way.

This does not apply to Lowry. He’s not interested in turning in a barely passable performance, he wants to show what he’s all about.

Within minutes of coming on he’d set up 2 chances with outrageous vision and technique. He’s a genuine contender for regular starting 11 place and it’s absolutely on merit and not sentiment.

Totally agree - almost on the right side of arrogant. Like he knows he belongs there. I admire that in him. Ferguson had the same attitude.
He's a very good player, and he knows it. Of course there is a thin dividing line between that and arrogance which can hinder a player [Windass?]. All I've seen thus far from A.L however is his self confidence is well founded.

He was on the pitch less than five minutes and had pinged what were, arguable, the two best passes of the entire game.

King was very good however Lowry stole the show. Would love to see all of the young players today starting the season as a regular in the match day pool.

He’s gonna be some player. His range of passing and vision for a young player is frightening. Never seen a young boy go into our midfield and look so at ease since Barry Ferguson coming through, fingers crossed he goes on to have an even better Rangers career than Fergie.

He is a fantastic young talent. His vision is incredible. He sees the pass early and doesn't hesitate to play it. A few examples of that today but the pass that he played in the B Team game against Celtic was absolutely sublime.

When you think of how much big Calvin Bassey has developed this season with regular games, we need to make sure that Lowry gets the minutes next season to do the same. He's going to become a very special player for us.

Even after the euphoria of Thursday night, the news we'd signed Lowry on a longer contract just made my week!
He's an exceptional talent and he reminds me of a young Durrant...just glides players like they aren't there and his eye for a pass is just sublime!
I'm delighted for him as he's a stick on to become a fantastic player for us!

Anyone got a clip of his turn and pass to Sakala today. A thing of beauty. Feel like he beat the defender before he even touched the ball, the way Gazza used to.

Going to be a lot of fun to watch next season (and hopefully the remaining two league games of this season), just looks like a natural and he’s always very positive as soon as he gets the ball.

Good business by the club signing him up, this boy is going to be special.

I’d agree with both of you but, not immediately.
That position is the hub of the team and needs to be filled by a player who is going to be seven to eight out of ten, every week.
Lowry, and McCann too, may well deliver this level early on but kids generally fade before kicking on again and that position is not one you want a second choice player in.
Is that you Alan Hansen?

He is being compared to so many players who are all completely different to each other. We need to let the kid be himself. I saw him up at Cove when they gubbed the B team 5-1 but he was easily the best player on the park. Never ever heard Aberdonians leaving a ground before drooling over a Rangers player before that night.

He's definitely a player, that's for sure full of confidence & almost a swagger about him. Good lad.

I think Gio has been steady with letting him get a taste of it plus train with them every day. Not rushing him but nurturing his talent.

There’s obviously the clamour to get him out there immediately but it’s got to be done right so that he can grow into it, not get burnt out and keep him level headed.

He seems to be flying so hopefully he’ll be right in among it next season.

Our summer transfer business for the first season in a while needs to be regular starters. The likes of Lowry king McCann etc must move into playing roles in the squad replacing the likes of Wright, etc

He’s got that edge and swagger about his play that gets you up on your feet. His ability to execute a through ball cannot be taught.

Hopefully we'll be watching Lowry playing for Rangers for many years to come. Only an idiot would want to sell such an unbelievable talent.

Last person that stood out for me like this was Barry Ferguson.

He is picking passes out what you'd expect from Pirlo when he played. He gets the ball, turns and sees a pass others don't even see.

Early days but a very very exciting talent we've got.

Our summer transfer business for the first season in a while needs to be regular starters. The likes of Lowry king McCann etc must move into playing roles in the squad replacing the likes of Wright, etc
I’d rather we used the money to tie down as many of our best players (Goldson, Alfie, Barisic, Kent) and sign one or two starters. Then blood the youngsters through the team over the year. Never been more excited by the talent coming through our youth ranks than I am at the moment. My one criticism of Gerrard was I always felt he had too large a squad and the likes of Hastie, Stewart, Edmunson, Barker all took a jersey that should have gone to our youngsters.

Hopefully we see him play more of a prominent role next season. Personally would have him in front of hagi in the pecking order. Hagi flattered to deceive for the whole of this season.

If we sell aribo I would have a new cam brought in and Lowry playing back up to him. If we don’t sell aribo then I’d be giving aribo more of a rest than he got this season and giving Lowry a solid 20 odd games next season.

Back