Alfie a potential doubt for tonight

Brass_Hand

Steven Gerrard interview has just been uploaded and says he needs to check with medical staff if he is ready after a calf problem.

Hopefully we’re just doing some mind games. Not on county - shouldn’t even be thinking about needing that - but on our own support. The atmosphere is going to be edgy tonight at best but the lift in the crowd of seeing Alfie ‘unexpectedly’ making it could do wonders to lift the starting atmosphere.

Otherwise this is just f*%king bad timing. Defoe is still more than capable of leading the line in a team playing to him but that requires the midfield to be solid and play high up the park while Kent and Aribo play narrow, interchanging with Defoe. No lumping it up expecting Defoe to hold it.

Well I'll say this. If we play Defoe (and if Alfie is any risk at all we should), we absolutely must give him Arfield and and keep them close together. We must also use Patterson as there won't be a right side otherwise. Defoe needs out wingbacks to get the ball up the pitch and into the box, there is no use playing through balls to him 40 yards out and making it a race as Halkett showed

Nightmare, was looking forward to having him back in the team tonight as will be a hard game. Not sure i would risk him incase the problem gets worse and he misses sheep hibs etc

We'll be fine without him, I think. No point in risking him and losing him for 2 weeks when Defoe is more than capable of getting goals. We just need the others to provide the right service, because at 37 (although he's extremely fit) Defoe isn't going to rag doll or run past defenders.

Back