Alfredo Morelos

And some on here wanted rid.

Let’s not rewrite history here

Those angry with him had every right to be

Up until late January you could count on one hand how many really good performances he put in.

Early in the season he was even dropped from a match day squad due to performance and training.

Then the disciplinary issues rearing their head recently

However, last 3 games he’s been class with tonight being 10/10 and very much the Morelos of 2019 second half of it.

Long may it continue as when we have tonight’s Morelos, defenders can’t cope and his transfer value will get back up to £16m +

Outstanding 10/10 tonight

Was like watching Morelos of last season (first half of it)

Touch spot on, hold up play superb, finishing, wreaked havoc

More of that going forward please
Meet the new Morelos, same as the old Morelos.
Can the new one be trusted against Celtc?

Such an infuriating player really.

He’s been absolutely tremendous in the past week, but if only we could get that sort of effort from him over an entire campaign.

Last season he was incredible until Xmas then more or less disappeared for a year.

The good news is that he appears to be back and enjoying his football again as we push towards the title and he pushes up his value ahead of any possible move this summer.

He’s been absolutely tremendous in the past week, but if only we could get that sort of effort from him over an entire campaign.

Last season he was incredible until Xmas then more or less disappeared for a year.

The good news is that he appears to be back and enjoying his football again as we push towards the title and he pushes up his value ahead of any possible move this summer.

Yeah maybe we'd be 30 points ahead instead of 18.

I think the manager captured it very well, we is settled in his life off the park and is actually showing the nice side we all know from his charity work. I found it unsettling at first however his game for the team is nothing short of stunning at the moment, selfless like so many of the team

I want that exact performance from him at the piggery, with the exception of stopping play if one of their players does a hammy.

Not that he would even entertain the thought of doing that for one of that mob. :)):shh:

Said this (broadly speaking) in another Alfredo thread:

I cannot underestimate how highly I rate Alfredo.

He really demonstrated the full range of his ability tonight against Antwerp, and showed why he is such an important part of this Rangers team.

I thought his link-up play was fantastic, as was his movement, his availability for a pass, his physical strength (the guy is strong as an ox), and his passing to his team mates.

He gave their defence an absolutely torrid time. He dominated them, which I love to see a Rangers centre forward do.

Outstanding match from him tonight (and from our team as a whole, it should be said).

Such an infuriating, negative and inaccurate post.
He's had a solid season, not as prolific with the goals, but his role has changed a bit and he's had plenty of great performances throughout the campaign, particularly in Europe.
You can see how much we miss him every time he's out the team, unless you're blind? :))

Up until late January you could count on one hand how many really good performances he put in.

Early in the season he was even dropped from a match day squad due to performance and training.

However, last 3 games he’s been class with tonight being 10/10 and very much the Morelos of 2019 second half of it.

Long may it continue as when we have tonight’s Morelos, defenders can’t cope and his transfer value will get back up to £16m +

16m. You realise we bought Flo nearly 20 years ago for 12m? Bidding will start at 25. Both us and Alfie may be unable to refuse that money but I’d love to see him for us in the champions league.

Last season in the Europa League we qualified largely down to Alfredo. He was sensational in the group stages. His performances in Rotterdam and Porto were unreal.

This year we topped the group without Alfredo hitting the same levels. Last night he was unplayable. I firmly believe that any team left in the tournament would not enjoy playing him when he is in that mood. He is a special special player and he, on his own, can win matches.

We can do something special this season if he reproduces that form in the next few rounds.

Coupla comments on Alfie´s performance last night from Antwerp fans forum.

"I am especially jealous of such a player as Morelos. When you see how sharp and threatening he is. Causes almost all of our defensive blunders."

"Actually I'm not that dissatisfied with our two games, because in the end the difference lies in stupid giveaway goals and even stupid penalties against a team that is really one level higher (Moreles would stand out head and shoulders in Belgium)."

How is it rewriting history by saying some on here wanted rid?

Honestly read what I wrote.

I will repeat it

"And some on here wanted rid."

Others like me, know what this player brings to us full stop no matter if off form or disciplinary issues. MSM wanted rid and so did many on here. Fact

Well done Alfie once more for proving so many WRONG

I just read Keith Jacksons piece, not a single mention of the great man, imagine if that was Edouard last night. Another hater

Said last week that since he’s come back from his suspension, he looks lean, quick, strong and sharp. I’d go as far to say he’d lost a couple yds of pace since last year this season but definitely looks like he’s regained it.

The pace was the most obvious sign for me that he’s in a good place. Gerrard said he’s settled off the field with his family being here now so that was likely to be a contributing factor to his lack of usual form that we’re seeing now.

Such an infuriating, negative and inaccurate post.
He's had a solid season, not as prolific with the goals, but his role has changed a bit and he's had plenty of great performances throughout the campaign, particularly in Europe.
You can see how much we miss him every time he's out the team, unless you're blind? :))
Alfie really seems to generate a blind defence like no other player I can remember.

It’s not negative to say that he was generally poor in the first half of this season just as he was poor in the second half of last, because it happens to be the truth.

Gerrard dropped him at times earlier in the season because he wasn’t delivering, so it’s clearly not just me that feels that way.

We should be able to discuss Morelos dispassionately and admit that as terrific as he can be - and he’s been back to his best in the past week especially - we’ve not had a full season from him where that’s been the case. There are always spells of loss of form, a seeming lack of interest at times and of course his frequent unavailability due to suspensions.

None of that takes away what he brings to the team when he’s up for it however. He is indeed almost unplayable when he’s on his game like last night and I’m absolutely delighted that he appears to have rediscovered his mojo for the run in, but it is undeniably frustrating that we can’t get that sort of performance from him throughout a season.

I don’t know why so many are reluctant to entertain that.

Alfie really seems to generate a blind defence like no other player I can remember.

It’s not negative to say that he was generally poor in the first half of this season just as he was poor in the second half of last, because it happens to be the truth.

Gerrard dropped him at times earlier in the season because he wasn’t delivering, so it’s clearly not just me that feels that way.

We should be able to discuss Morelos dispassionately and admit that as terrific as he can be - and he’s been back to his best in the past week especially - we’ve not had a full season from him where that’s been the case. There are always spells of loss of form, a seeming lack of interest at times and of course his frequent unavailability due to suspensions.

None of that takes away what he brings to the team when he’s up for it however. He is indeed almost unplayable when he’s on his game like last night and I’m absolutely delighted that he appears to have rediscovered his mojo for the run in, but it is undeniably frustrating that we can’t get that sort of performance from him throughout a season.

Agreed as soon as he drops form the usual suspects come out with crap like. get rid, not needed etc. As you say like no other player you can remember. Brainwashed by the media.

IN SG we trust on these matters, not Keith Jackson et al.

For me he’s one of these players that needs to be at his peak fitness to perform best.
Only in the last few weeks has he got to the physical peak he needs to play the way he can.

Simply because that when he's good he's sensational and way above anything else around here in Scotland.
Don't ever forget that he wouldn't be here at all if a lot of "haters" had got their way.

That just about covers any debate about the lad. Without a shadow of doubt we are far better team with him in it. He’s going to be big shoes to fill when the time/money is right to move him on.

The op said he was involved in 9 of the last 12 goals. That does not surprise me.

Even when not directly involved he pulls the opposition defence all over the place to create space for every other in our team.

When the wee man is playing with a smile on his face he’s unstoppable,dont want him to leave but i don’t understand why any of the big teams around europe haven’t taken a chance on him because he is a goalscorer and he works his arse off for the team

Simply because that when he's good he's sensational and way above anything else around here in Scotland.
Don't ever forget that he wouldn't be here at all if a lot of "haters" had got their way.

Honestly just read Keith Jacksons report on last night, And was amazed he actually gives Rangers credit. However HOW can any reporter report on last night without glorifying Morelos. As i say another Hater. The Fcker would be all spunked out if it was Edouard. Instead focuses on Paterson.

Rangers produce magnificent Antwerp mayhem on a Europa League night never to be forgotten – Keith Jackson’s verdict​

The Ibrox club delivered a brilliant offensive performance on another night to remember in their continental adventures.

It's an often overused saying among the wonderful absurdities thrown up by Scottish football’s never-ending soap opera: You couldn’t make it up.

But even by those far-fetched and fanciful standards, what happened at Ibrox last night did beggar belief. In just 16 second-half seconds, Nathan Patterson transformed his reputation from Covid villain to European hero. He climbed off the bench after a controversial inclusion among Steven Gerrard ’s subs to replace Leon Balogun, who was beginning to look like the weakest link in Rangers’ hopes of making it through to the last 16 of this season’s Europa League.
Two touches of the ball later, Patterson was celebrating the greatest moment of his fledgling career. Less than two weeks after committing the monumental mistake which could have ruined it.

His first senior goal is likely to take some beating given its significance not just for Patterson but in the context of this bonkers two-legged tie. On a night which was supposed to be a low-key sequel to the seven-goal insanity of last week’s clash in Belgium, this second helping was next-level stuff. Seven more goals in total, twisting the plot line all over the place, but Patterson’s being the greatest story of the lot. The sight of the youngster on Gerrard’s bench along with lockdown cohorts Bongani Zungu and Calvin Bassey was just the start of it.

But while that goes to show there’s one rule for some, there is one constant about Gerrard’s side almost every time they step out under the floodlights in this competition – when Ryan Kent plays, the opposition are almost always in trouble. Last night, it took around three minutes for the English livewire to get on to the ball for the first time. And from that moment the Belgians were in all sorts of bother. Every time Kent got the ball, he looked to turn and drive at Antwerp’s defence. Eight minutes in and after he had fired a couple of warning shots, he conjured the early breakthrough, cleverly anticipating Jeremy Gelin’s slack backpass and darting into position before it had left the Frenchman’s boot. Kent was on to it in a flash to make the interception, taking keeper Ortwin De Wolf out of the game in one move, before cutting the ball back perfectly for Alfredo Morelos to hit an empty net.

In the space of five dizzying minutes, Kent had pretty much tucked this Euro tie in the bag. Or so it seemed. It would have been done and dusted for sure had Ianis Hagi doubled the lead midway through the half after sneaking around the back of the Belgian defence. Although the Romanian thundered a shot at goal, De Wolf was able to beat it away from his near post. And yet, it didn’t seem to matter all that much given the extent of Rangers’ dominance. But when Antwerp finally found their attacking feet for the first time – almost half an hour in – they served up a reminder that there was work here for Gerrard and his players still to do.

The warning came down the right side of the home defence where Balogun was beaten by the powerful running of Jordan Lukaku. Aurelio Buta might have slashed wide on the volley from Lukaku’s cross but suddenly Antwerp’s tails were up. So when Lukaku skinned Balogun for a second time to set up Lior Refaelov for a tap-in, Gerrard sensed it was time to act. The change came at half-time. And before the second half had even got up and running, 19-year-old Patterson was off like a dog off the leash. He raced through on to a Morelos pass to slam home off the base of De Wolf’s right-hand post. Astonishing. Absolutely astonishing.

But it was just the start of another outstanding half of football. It should have settled down in 54 minutes when Rangers produced some stunningly slick passing to make it 3-1 on the night.
Glen Kamara’s pass picked out Hagi on the halfway line. A drop of the shoulder, a swivel of the hips and the 22-year-old played in Morelos who skipped around his marker before picking out Kent for a fabulous first-time finish.

This is the sort of cutting-edge stuff which makes Rangers look like they belong at this level. It ought to concern whoever comes up next in today’s draw. But there have been vulnerable moments too at the back.
When Connor Goldson and Allan McGregor got it horribly wrong, clattering into one another, they left an empty net for striker Didier Lamkel Ze to tap home into.
It was all getting a little bit nervy now. With 13 minutes left Steve Davis found the composure to send Morelos into the box and when his ankles were clipped, up stepped Borna Barisic to hammer home his third penalty of the tie.

Then, in the dying seconds of this magnificent mayhem, another spot-kick after Gers sub Scott Wright was sent sprawling.Another replacement, Cedric Itten, claimed the ball this time and slammed the tin lid on the tie and a night that may never be forgotten for all manner of reasons.
The mouth waters at what drama may still be to come.

You can see the ones who grudgingly give him credit. They’d rather not, but his recent performances have left them no choice or lose all credibility.

But they can’t just say “he was awesome last night”.

Its always a qualified statement. There’s always a caveat. “Better than earlier in the season”. “Needs to produce that more often”.

Goldson, Tav, even Steven Davis have had periods of under performance at Rangers, but no one brings that up and always prefaces or bookends praise with references back or forward to not playing well.

You can see in their choice of words. So effectively it’s just an “Aye, ok, I can’t get him now, but my pitchfork is always close at hand as soon as I have opportunity to wield it again”.

You can see the ones who grudgingly give him credit. They’d rather not, but his recent performance have left them no choice or lose all credibility.

Its always a qualified statement. There’s always a caveat. “Better than earlier in the season”. “Needs to produce that more often”.

Goldson, Tav, even Steven Davis have had periods of under performance at Rangers, but no one brings that up and always prefaces or bookends praise with references back or forward to not playing well.

You can see in their choice of words. So effectively it’s just an “Aye, ok, I can’t get him now, but my pitchfork is always close at hand as soon as I have opportunity to wield it again”.

100% spot on. It makes me wonder however why any genuine fan would want a team without Alfie. I know we have lurkers and celtic fans on this forum but surely we are not over run by them?

Maybe we have too many clinging on to the Scottish journalists and BBC TV words of wisdom. Alfies performance was as near a 10/10 you can get yet our tabloids fail to give him the credit he is due.

As I said earlier if it was Edouard they would be all spunked out.

I honestly thought we should have taken the money during the summer, not that I was against him, I just thought his time was coming to and end,

More than happy to admit I was completely wrong, the guys a star

He loves the big stage, Dont even think we have seen the best of him.

24 year old who IMHO will shine even further in the champions league. Just hope we get to see this next season in person.

Where do folk reckon Alfie would be placed in the pantheon of great Rangers strikers, where does he rank compared to Thornton, English, Millar, Forrest, Stein, DJ, Parlane, Ally, Hatley, Mols, Prso, Jelevic et Al.

16m. You realise we bought Flo nearly 20 years ago for 12m? Bidding will start at 25. Both us and Alfie may be unable to refuse that money but I’d love to see him for us in the champions league.

Bidding won’t start at £25m

Last season is the best he’s played and the best offer we got was £16m from Lille

Whether you like to admit it or not, this season he hasn’t been as good as he was last season therefore there’s zero chance we’ll get £25m.

IMO in the summer if we got offered £16m again, we’d take it

You can see the ones who grudgingly give him credit. They’d rather not, but his recent performances have left them no choice or lose all credibility.

Apart from maybe one or two mentalists and a smattering of timposters I don’t know any Rangers fan that begrudgingly gives him credit.

Last night when he set up Kent for his goal and his face was beaming afterwards I was so happy for him and indeed us. “He’s finally back!” I thought to myself, but almost immediately found myself slightly wistful that he’d ever been away at all.

So it’s not a grudging admiration when people like myself caveat a terrific performance with a longing to see him produce it throughout a season - it’s actually what we should expect from all our players.

I think there’s a tendency to defend Alfie from any criticism at all because he gets enough of it from the media, and I get that - I’ve defended him often enough myself in here - but there should be room to discuss why it is he seems to disappear for big chunks of any given season even in the aftermath of an awesome display like last night. :shh:

I’ve always been more of a ‘I wish he done it all the time’ sort of guy, but he can’t produce that type of performance in Scotland that often.

That was an Antwerp team confident in possession and happy to take us on, it meant that Morelos could turn and run - outside of mistakes, if he takes a touch 40 yards out and turns to run in Scotland, he’s got ten players parked between him and the goal.

Agree with every word. On the money.

I’ve always been more of a ‘I wish he done it all the time’ sort of guy, but he can’t produce that type of performance in Scotland that often.

That was an Antwerp team confident in possession and happy to take us on, it meant that Morelos could turn and run - outside of mistakes, if he takes a touch 40 yards out and turns to run in Scotland, he’s got ten players parked between him and the goal.
He was running riot in Scotland in the first half of last season and he’s beginning to do it again now.

I’m not sure it’s down to how the opposition play so much as his own mentality towards games.

He’s a huge enigma really.

This.

Back