Alleged Superstars.

Quite a contrasting list of players.

Lewandowski…….Martial.

Anyway, Lewandowski has probably been the best number 9 in the past 10 years. I’d say only Benzema could be argued as better in terms of longevity, Suarez maybe for a shorter period of time.

Not flashy, but a proper number 9. Granted, he was poor tonight.

Just watched Barca v PSG and was totally underwhelmed by Lewandowski's performance. He is a player that I just don't get. Never a world class player. Others who don't float my boat are Haaland, Darwin Nunez and Anthony Martial. Any others spring to mind?

You don’t get Lewandowski? His record speaks for itself.

International career‡
2006–2008Znicz Pruszków59(36)
2008–2010Lech Poznań58(32)
2010–2014Borussia Dortmund131(74)
2014–2022Bayern Munich253(238)
2022–Barcelona62(36)
2007Poland U191(0)
2008Poland U213(0)
2008–Poland148(82)

Just watched Barca v PSG and was totally underwhelmed by Lewandowski's performance. He is a player that I just don't get. Never a world class player. Others who don't float my boat are Haaland, Darwin Nunez and Anthony Martial. Any others spring to mind?

Never seen anything in Messi either.. should have stuck to the dwarf sector in circuses. Vastly overrated player who regularly fooled billions.

Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff ...Johnny foreigner pish imo.

Lewandowski is 35 years old. His best years were way behind by the time he switched to Barca. Honestly found it pretty ubsurd they handed him that big a contract.

He was amazing at Bayern, and that's me being conservative with the praise. 344 goals for Bayern in 375 appearances. Won the lot there and was crucial during his time there.

Lewandowski is 36 this year. If you really want to judge him, just look at his record during his peak years. One of the best to do it. I don't think anyone claims Antony Martial is a superstar; decent in his Monaco days but he's done nothing of note since then

The guy is 35 now in fairness.

Putting him into the same bracket as Martial is a bit daft imo. The guy has an incredible record at the highest level. Not playing well in one game probably doesn't define him.

Lewandowski is 35 years old. His best years were way behind by the time he switched to Barca. Honestly found it pretty ubsurd they handed him that big a contract.

He was amazing at Bayern, and that's me being conservative with the praise. 344 goals for Bayern in 375 appearances. Won the lot there and was crucial during his time there.

Nobody else seemed to want him did they.

He was world class! No doubt about it.

Haaland I am with you on, great striker but that’s a debate for a few years time.

For me right now!

Mbappe is probably the only superstar in the game right now and here me out.

Salah is reaching the done stage, no one at Man City is at that level and I think pep is happy with that.

Man Utd are mince, Arsenal are a young team, and the others in England have no one who stand out as super stars.

I can’t think of one in Italy right now, Martinez and Thuram at inter are quality players.

Spain is a bit weird, Barca as shown tonight are a young team, Real have Bellingham who has won or done anything yet to reach that level! And there is no one else sticking out.

It only leaves Mbappe as the one player who could demand what he wants from any top team and that is how it generally works.

Back to haaland, I don’t see him ever leaving Man City to go to Madrid and that generally that bar set for super star that has been set.

Nighty night

Are we trying to say a man who scored 344 goals in 375 games for Bayern… isn’t a ‘superstar’?

He’s not been as prolific for Barca but he’s 36 in a few months.

Very few strikers stay at the very top past 34/35

Big Rab was unplayable in his prime. He is past his prime now.

Haaland also? Jeezo.

He’s going to be 36 soon, centre forward is a young mans game.

A superstar in marketing and hype but in terms of massively over rated step forward one David Beckham. A very good player, but not in the top ten of his generation.

Very harsh on Lewandowski but I’ll add Rashford to the list.

No sure if there was many fairy vikings tbh :)

If we are compiling a list I would like to add Saka at Arsenal. I really don't get the hype.
Haaland is an interesting one as I think the modern "world class" footballer shouldn't drop below a base standard. That's what probably makes them stand out is a consistency of performance.

Haaland looked invincible but some of his recent play has been pretty poor.

Haaland is an interesting one as I think the modern "world class" footballer shouldn't drop below a base standard. That's what probably makes them stand out is a consistency of performance.

Haaland looked invincible but some of his recent play has been pretty poor.
You still have to take into consideration how old he is for me. The level he has been at for a player of 23 is incredible. He's pretty much won everything there is to win already too.

Jack Grealish.

Loved him at Villa, but watching him now all he seems to do when he gets the ball on the left hand side is pass it back the way. Rarely see him take a man on these days.

Clearly a talented player and had a great season last season with City but seems to do very little on the ball other than feint to hit the bye line before passing it back.

I’ve not seen lewandowski play for a while, but the only thing I could say in his defence is he’s 35 now. I thought he was younger than that but only saw it tonight when I was checking the team line ups tonight and looking at different players profiles

Lewa’s a very, very good striker but people used to try and compare him with Cristiano Ronaldo which was fucking laughable

Back