Ally Dick

Not entirely before my time but if this Dick was that good, why no Scotland caps?

At Mexico 86, Scotland went without Kenny Dalglish (injured) , Alan Hansen, Ally McCoist, Ian Durrant, Brian McClair, Maurice Johnstone. I mean. For fucks sake. There's not a single player in the current squad at that level (Robertson aside)

Barcelona's centre forward (called up to replace Liverpool's) didn't get a sniff.

Wales
I was at Central Primary at the time.
Year 7
Was weird playing at a proper ground with actual people watching and shouting.

Ah right I remember now. Old man thought it was one of the home nations, though.

Can you remember the year/date & the score?

A nice memory for you.

Ah right I remember now. Old man thought it was one of the home nations, though.

Can you remember the year/date & the score?

A nice memory for you.
83 maybe?
Never stayed for the whole of the Scotland game.

Might be wrong but i think he played for Spurs in a friendly at Ibrox the week before we signed Souness. We were a shambles that day, remember thinking that we couldn't get any worse.
The game was on the Sunday and i'm sure we announced Souness a few days later. Hopefully my memory isn't wrong.

I remember reading a book of Scottish quotations, he is in that talking about working with Cryuff, who told him he was an admirer of certain things that Scottish players had that didn't feature on the continent.
How Scottish players seem to be able to just turn on the aggression,desire and tenacity the minute they pulled on the jerseys.
Changed days, one of the greats of the game being complimentary about Scottish football.
With regard to his career, it may come as a surprise to younger people how far the Scottish game has fallen.
Not that long ago all the big clubs in England had a decent percentage of top class Scottish talent.
Many talented players in Scotland, who could not get near the international team at the time ,would have 50 caps these days.

Might be wrong but i think he played for Spurs in a friendly at Ibrox the week before we signed Souness. We were a shambles that day, remember thinking that we couldn't get any worse.
The game was on the Sunday and i'm sure we announced Souness a few days later. Hopefully my memory isn't wrong.
I don't think you are, from memory Jock Wallace went into the Tottenham dressing room after that game to apologise to their players and management for how poor we were.o_O

Back