Andy Gray - “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games"

His 2 red cards against Aberdeen were a joke and half of his bookings wouldnt have been given to any other player in Scotland.
The red against Ufa was harsh imo too. He does need to learn to walk away. However, he is refereed to a completely different standard and it must be hugely frustrating to him. I can understand him blowing his top when these cheating bastards are targeting him.

Andy Gray doesn't work for the Daily Record, he was merely giving his opinion in an interview in the Daily Record.
No he doesn’t but one of his Rangers supporting mates maybe should have a word with him and tell him his interview has basically being turned into yet another article on how to rubbish Rangers by the Celtc View mk 2.

No he doesn’t but one of his Rangers supporting mates maybe should have a word with him and tell him his interview has basically being turned into yet another article on how to rubbish Rangers by the Celtc View mk 2.

Did you read the full interview? The first part of the interview he said he's not a fan of Morelos and the rest of it was him talking us up saying how good we looked and how he's impressed by the new players. It can hardly be classed as rubbishing Rangers.

Morelos value ? Whatever someone is prepared to pay or our valuation ?
FF is not indicative of the wider Rangers support. It's younger and more militant than the average guy at Ibrox so Morelos gets a free passage by many on here.
That's Andy Gray now on the list of hated ex Gers . The list must now run into 00s.

Cheers Andy. It had been a whole 24 hours since the last push on the anti-Morelos bandwagon. At least it gives laurel and hardy here another platform to stick the boot in.

Think Andy is better qualified to assess players than most people on here . Let’s be honest he’s bloody right and if someone came in with 15 mil he’d be off. Liked Morelos when he came but last year irespectfull of goals scored let us down big time , can not happen this year far to much at stake.

Really, how many games has Andy paid to see over the years?
Gray’s a fan of the club, let’s not get carried away and compare him with real supporters who actually use their hard earned cash to follow their team.
That’s not fair on the guy or anybody else whose work means they can’t get to game regularly.
They may be contributing in other ways as well.

Daily rhebel: "What's your opinion on Morelos Andy?"
Gray: “I’m not a Morelos fan"
DR: "Good...tell us why".
That’s closer to the mark than you may think.
The story is already half written and said the journalist phoned around for a name to put to the story!
I was told this by a lad who worked with me who’d actually earned his degree in journalism in a real university.
I’m told this isn’t quite commonplace in that industry any more.

I like Andy Gray. Always have. Proud bear, and cant have enough of them in the media these days. If he is guilty of anything here, it's naivety over how his Morelos comments would be seized upon and become further ammo for the press up here to deride him / us. Seems to me like he gave an honest opinion, not one that I personally agree with, but representing his genuine thoughts on Alfies reliability - which btw, are similar to many on here, although you could argue that he's not actually seen enough of us last season to appreciate Alfie's overall importance to us.

Being miles away and perhaps not familiar with the ongoing anti-Rangers bias we encounter constantly, I find it entirely plausible that he left that interview thinking it would be a nice positive piece given his glowing comments about how good we look to be overall at the moment. Only to be surprised that the Morelos stuff has grabbed the headlines. Hope he learns from this in the future - better served just not mentioning a player at all if you have doubts about him.

And on a side note, you know what I find harder to defend Morelos about than the disciplinary stuff (which I believe all but disappears the moment he leaves and gets a blank slate in a new league)? The fact that he has yet to score against Them. Really annoying stat tbh and we cant say he hasn't had opportunities so far. Sadly, it is a valid point when debating his value as ultimately, these are our most high profile games and his record in them on paper is very poor (obviously mitigating circumstances but still, stats are stats).

It would be a travesty if he left us without a single OF goal to his name so that is one of many reasons why I desperately want the wee man to stay and fire in even more goals than last year with at least a couple against the bheasts.

A centre forward that plays in Scotland for Rangers, that is prolific, can score with both feet and his head, runs defences ragged, has great positional sense, is skilful, powerful, has good link up play, is breaking onto the international scene and is only 23.

Yeah, I’m not sure about him either Andy.
In reality,none of us are too sure of him.Thought that was a decent column from Andy.

His 2 red cards against Aberdeen were a joke and half of his bookings wouldnt have been given to any other player in Scotland.

But majority of them were retaliating to stupid little things as well as the pretty much indefensible one against the mentally challengeds. Yes Scott Brown provoked him and should have been sent off that day for other incidents as well as being a wanker in general you can’t react like that in football especially not in the biggest game of our season.

I hope he can sort his problems out because as mentioned before his positives outweigh his negatives. And he can be even better for us next season if he doesn’t get suspended a lot. Imagine the goals he’ll score if he plays every single week

FF is not indicative of the wider Rangers support. It's younger and more militant than the average guy at Ibrox so Morelos gets a free passage by many on here.
That's Andy Gray now on the list of hated ex Gers . The list must now run into 00s.

Im just glad theres a few adults like yourself on here to add some balance.;)

Their ex players talking up their players in the media and our ex players talking down our players in the media is a recurring theme sadly.

Really, how many games has Andy paid to see over the years?
Gray’s a fan of the club, let’s not get carried away and compare him with real supporters who actually use their hard earned cash to follow their team.

What about Bears that are so strapped for cash they can’t spend anything following the team? Does that make them less of a fan than others?

Daily rhebel: "What's your opinion on Morelos Andy?"
Gray: “I’m not a Morelos fan"
DR: "Good...tell us why".

More like

Ex Rangers Player #1
Daily rhebel: "What's your opinion on Morelos?"
Gray: “I think he's a brilliant player, exciting talent"
DR: "OK thanks, see you".

Ex Rangers Player #2
Gray: “The best player in Scotland no doubt"

Andy Gray
Gray: “I think he's a great player but unreliable in big games"
DR: "Oh, can you expand on that last part?"

In reality,none of us are too sure of him.Thought that was a decent column from Andy.

I think that's a "speak for yourself" one.

I'm sure he was the best striker in Scotland last season, in fact who would his competition for that description be.

I've got a lot of time for AG
& AM frustrates me in equal measure to excites me

All that said I still think this article is yet another re-hash of the same old, same old that's been spouted by the mentally challenged infested meejha north of the border since day one of last season

AG was a superb player on his day - & no doubt has a calmer, less reactionary temperament than Alfie - but if he had properly scrutinised Alfie's retaliatory misdemeanors & honestly compared them with his own habits against unsavoury opponents - then he shouldn't be writing this & it just sounds highly hypocritical to me.

Did you read the full interview? The first part of the interview he said he's not a fan of Morelos and the rest of it was him talking us up saying how good we looked and how he's impressed by the new players. It can hardly be classed as rubbishing Rangers.
I think it’s you who have misinterpreted my post, it’s the Record ffs the negative stuff is front and centre, while anything Gray says that is positive is lost in the noise of Morelos being a liability.
I also think Alfie has to move on as he is basically a marked man by both officials who like our team are refereed to a different standard and the mentally challenged puppets in the media who continually mention his behaviour to put off potential suitors.

Stevie G has basically given him a slap down in his RTV interview, but perhaps he was unable to read and digest the article? Gray's comments were moronic.

It's not the first time he's made moronic comments in recent times. He's also upset the Newcastle fans due to his support for Mike Ashley, claiming Ashley had given Rafa £100m to spend last year, which was lies.

Think Andy is better qualified to assess players than most people on here . Let’s be honest he’s bloody right and if someone came in with 15 mil he’d be off. Liked Morelos when he came but last year irespectfull of goals scored let us down big time , can not happen this year far to much at stake.

He’s probably barely seen a game of ours over the last year so I doubt he is to be honest. He’s right about Morelos needing to wisen up, the problem is he’s only told one half of the story and it’s the half that, without the other half, paints our player in a poor light.

He’s also put himself firmly in the camp that says if he didn’t score against Celtic he didn’t show up. Sort of shite you expect from diddies down the pub, not TV analysts, and he’s clearly not an idiot which leads me to believe he just hasn’t really seen much of the games.

As a player who played the game up front and wasn’t shy in getting stuck in, I’m inclined to take Andy Gray’s opinion seriously.

He managed to get in about centre halves without throwing silly wee kicks out all over the place and getting himself sent off multiple times per season.

Maybe, just maybe, he’s better qualified to comment on this issue than most of us on here.

Anyway, Andy is without doubt a 100% bear, so I’m happy to have true bears discuss things like this amongst ourselves. It’s also got to be said that the rest of the article is hugely supportive of the club.

More like

Ex Rangers Player #1
Gray: “I think he's a brilliant player, exciting talent"

Ex Rangers Player #2
Gray: “The best player in Scotland no doubt"

Andy Gray
Gray: “I think he's a great player but unreliable in big games"
DR: "Oh, can you expand on that last part?"
Yes quite funny,but why does this theory not work when its ex filth players oh yes they tell them to piss off.

Don't disagree with anything Andy says there tbh but again the Daily Rebel uses the one concern he has and uses that for a negative headline when almost all of what he says is positive about the team and what SG is doing, more proof why not to buy this rag.

H
Andy Gray has spent the last year monitoring Steven Gerrard’s Rangers revival from more than 4500 miles away.

So he probably didn’t need to be at Ibrox in person on Sunday to identify the biggest single problem lurking inside the Scouser’s dressing room.

But what Gray saw during a 
surprisingly one-sided romp over Marseille merely convinced him of what he has suspected all of this time.

That the conundrum that is Alfredo Morelos may well be more bother than he’s worth.

The highly valued, yet notoriously combustible Colombian lasted 45 minutes of his side’s pre-season win at the weekend, failing to hit the target but getting himself involved in a minor feud with man-marker Luis Gustavo nonetheless before being replaced by Jermain Defoe at half-time.

Gray has seen it all before, although usually from the comfort of a TV studio somewhere in Doha

And now, with Crystal Palace and Westam believed to be showing tentative interest in the prolific South American, pretty soon Gerrard may have a multi-million pound decision on his hands. Or at least Gray certainly appears to hope so.

Speaking exclusively to Record Sport yesterday the veteran pundit and Rangers diehard said: “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games. He’s not done enough against the likes of Celtic – he hasn’t even scored against them yet.

“So I’m not a big fan at all but I do understand Steven has got a guy here who scored more than 30 goals last season.

“If it was as simple as replacing him with another guy who will score 30 plus next season then I’d definitely get rid. If someone comes in for him with £15m then Rangers would be foolish not to sell him and try to use the money to bring in that replacement.

“Or, if you could tell me Jermain is going to be fit for the whole season, I would say, ‘Sell Morelos, get the money in and make the group better’.

“But you have to remember there’s 30 goals to replace if he’s sold and it’s Steven’s job to balance that. If he feels he can get those goals from other areas then he’ll be tempted to sell.

“Put it this way, when Morelos was suspended at the end of last season he wasn’t missed that much. It was good for the other boys not to have to be so reliant on him.

“Yes, he does well but if he’s going to cost us as much as he gives us then it leaves Steven with a big decision to make. If nobody wants to pay the money then fine. He’ll have to contribute this season and hopefully he’ll have learned from his mistakes but I’m not so sure.

“Steven has to balance it up and as a manager he can’t make his decisions based on emotion. As a player you live half your life on emotions.

“But as a coach you need to make more rational decisions.

“If it was me being all emotional I’d punt him tomorrow and say, ‘Thanks very much, see you later’.

“But that might not be the best solution for Rangers right now. Stevie has to do what’s right for Rangers.

“I’ve played under coaches who didn’t like certain guys inside the dressing room but they still played them because they were important to the team. So you have to put personal feelings to one side.

“But Steven would admit he let him off a little too lightly last year. If Morelos stays and he still gives the manager problems again then I would expect Steven to really clamp down on him. Big time.”

But while Morelos remains the one major unresolved issue on Gerrard’s summer to do list, Gray believes 
the manager is fairly motoring through the rest of the remedial work left over from his first season in the Ibrox hotseat.

Gerrard undeniably dragged Rangers closer to Celtic in his first campaign. But losing the title by nine points was still not quite close enough for Gray’s liking.

However, he left Govan at the weekend with a spring in his step

Gray went on: “I was very pleased with what I saw. I had phoned Gary McAllister and told him I was coming up so he sorted me out with tickets and then after the match I went to see Steven and have a chat with him.

“I thought we looked very good. They played some of the new boys I hadn’t seen before and I was impressed 
by all of them. I thought it was a solid performance. Defensively we looked alright, although we were never troubled by Marseille who
were awful.

“I don’t think Steven will be
fooled by what was a comfortable victory – it could have been seven or eight – but I expected a lot more from Marseille. They looked like they are about 10 days behind us pre-season training wise.

“But that apart, Rangers kept the ball well, they used it well. We didn’t over pass it either. When we had the chance to get forward and release people we did.

“The second goal was typical of that with a great ball from Ryan Jack and a terrific finish from Daniel Candeias. That was really good football and there was quite a lot of examples of it during the match

“As I say I’m not a Morelos fan and he didn’t do much in the first half to change my opinion.

“Defoe looked much more dangerous when he came on – he’s a predator inside the six-yard box as he showed at his goal. Rangers look better when he is in the team.

“Ojo came on and showed what he can do in flashes. The kid Aribo in midfield looks like a good player, comfortable on the ball.

“And the centre-back, George Edmundson, settled in quite nicely next to Connor Goldson even though he wasn’t up against anything.

“With the new centre-back from Bologna to come in I think we are very well covered, especially when you consider Scott Arfield and one or two others are still to come into the side.

“We are in a much better place than this time last year. Much better.
His first big mistake is talking to the Record,his second is disclosing a private conversation he had with the gaffer. Result - low and behold we have the headline probably misquoted that he has the team to win the league. Outrageous.

I've got two thoughts on this:

1. It's pretty much an embodiment of an 'us vs them' in terms of attitude. They've got Kieran Tierney and he's (to them) clearly one of the best footballers in the world. We look at one our players and say sure he's got a bit of potential but I don't think he's a top level superstar. It doesn't matter that he looked like a diddy in 10 games against high level opposition, there was 1 in which he looked good. We'd have a guy doing well in 9 out of 10 of them and saying that he failed when tested against x at times.

2. A knock on effect of that delusional attitude that they have (and our negative one) spills into the press. Our ex-players struggle to wax lyrical in a nonsense way, whilst they have around 10-15 fantasists from every generation happy to state how unique, special and wonderful they are.

Another final thought, it's almost hammering home stupid we can be at times when you consider Barisic is starting for one of the best national teams in the world and we're still upset he didn't do very well against Kilmarnock.

Andy Gray is a clown and so is his mate, Richard Keys.

Except everything he says is spot on. Morelos needs to screw the nut if he wants to be part of our club or actually if he wants a decent career at all. If we are to win the league we can’t be playing games with 10 men.

Don’t see anything wrong in what was said. Morelos (not the mentally challenged media) allowed people to see his Achilles heel, his temperament, and every team and their dug exploited it to the max. He cost us big time and it’s true the team looked more settled and complete without him, as in not every play had Alfiecas the end result. I hope he can cool it this season and help us to 55 because I don’t see SG putting up with much shit if he doesn’t.

What a load of mince, Morelos doesn’t get stick at matches, at all, the fans love him. The only folk that run him down constantly are a few half daft numpties on here.

Not really sure what all the fuss is about to be honest-I often wonder if punters are victims of what happens at work from Tim workmates.

Andy Gray gave an opinion....to be frank it's not a million miles away from what the manager said-don't get how AG is played into some Timmy masterplan.

I think we are in a reasonably solid win win situation with Morelos.

Morelos may or may be attractive to other clubs for a very large fee-SG has stated the timing is crucial so if he goes we have time to reinvest.

If he stays we have one of our best players and main striker whom I think will develop further-he'll never totally lose parts of his flaws but he can refine them-I suspect it's down to both personality and his country of origin.

I get opinion is split but I don't get why AG's statement really matters....

What a load of mince, Morelos doesn’t get stick at matches, at all, the fans love him. The only folk that run him down constantly are a few half daft numpties on here.
I celebrate his goals,all rangers goals,but I really wish I could trust him to stay on the park and cease his stupidity and retaliation....and yes a goal against them would ease my negative thoughts greatly,I want every rangers player to succeed that's all I want

I can’t see a lot wrong with what he says.
Morelos hasn’t done it against Celtic and his temperament has let him down.
Sure, he has been subject to provocation and bad refereeing but he has to be more professional than that.
You don’t win league titles with your main striker sitting in the stands.
There was a marked improvement when we changed the system post split and it can’t have gone unnoticed by the Manager.
It’s a huge season for Alfie if he stays.
He can help us win 55 as easily as he can help lose us it.

Morelos is a very good player , who may go on to be a great player.
The fact is though, he is useless sitting in the stands when suspended.
I think he will be with us for one more season, where he has to keep up his level of play, but learn to contain his temper- keeping himself on the pitch, before he will attract any serious big money offers.
a sensible post re morelos for a change.

It’s what he didn’t say that’s the real problem. Although his implication he doesn’t contribute against them is a bit daft really.

Andy Gray, world class striker from yesteryear who makes sure everyone knows what he is and proud of it. If he considers Morelos to be unreliable he's not the only one and unlike those attached to the filth he will voice an honest opinion without fear of eternal damnation. It's not as if Morelos doesn't want to leave ffs. People on here actually suggesting that an alternative opinion to their own is somehow traitorous are having a laugh. His thoughts on Rangers in this article are actually extremely positive. Good luck Big Andy...one of our own.

Andy Gray, world class striker from yesteryear who makes sure everyone knows what he is and proud of it. If he considers Morelos to be unreliable he's not the only one and unlike those attached to the filth he will voice an honest opinion without fear of eternal damnation. It's not as if Morelos doesn't want to leave ffs. People on here actually suggesting that an alternative opinion to their own is somehow traitorous are having a laugh. His thoughts on Rangers in this article are actually extremely positive. Good luck Big Andy...one of our own.
Yeah brilliant stuff Andy. Our manager has had to come out in an in house interview and tell everyone you were talking shite. Bravo big chap.

Yeah brilliant stuff Andy. Our manager has had to come out in an in house interview and tell everyone you were talking shite. Bravo big chap.

Is that true? Geez, and yet theres people clinging to the opinion of a man whose probably lucky if he saw a full 90 minutes of one of our games last season because he’s an ex player.

Is that true? Geez, and yet theres people clinging to the opinion of a man whose probably lucky if he saw a full 90 minutes of one of our games last season because he’s an ex player.
Yes. Said he never said he thinks we'd win the title and be disrespectful of the opposition. Let's be honest he probably did and I hope he believes that, he obviously didn't expect Andy Gray to go running to the press with it.

Back