Any funny or memorable stories from the trip?

Having been one of the hundreds that got lost a guy I know quite well spotted me n said to his mate prods a sensible guy he'll know where we are going.

All right mate says he, tell me you know where we are getting the buses.

Do i fucking look like I know mate was my reply as we aimlessly wandered about following Google maps taking us miles from where we should be.

It all ended up OK but we did have a laugh about it in the hotel the next morning. He said I had steam coming out my ears.

Bumped into a well known bear from Northern Beaches RSC Sydney on the way to the Cutajar fan zone. He told me he had just got a match ticket and thought he was going to the match stadium. He had 1hr to get to the game from the other end of city. Hope he made it and he owes me a pint if he did.

Living in Canada now, it was just great seeing and meeting folk from back home. Not even planned, just totally random.

At the Hercules square on the day of the game it was absolutely packed with Bears and I was looking for some mates, when I spotted my nephew walking straight towards me. It must have been about a million to one shot that he walked out of the crowd at the exact same time that I was looking in that direction.

I met our own Mearns Unionist on the way in to the ground as well.

Best of all though was walking to my seat in the mixed section and meeting an old mate I've know for over 30 years sitting a few seats along from me in the same row.

Living in Canada now, it was just great seeing and meeting folk from back home. Not even planned, just totally random.

At the Hercules square on the day of the game it was absolutely packed with Bears and I was looking for some mates, when I spotted my nephew walking straight towards me. It must have been about a million to one shot that he walked out of the crowd at the exact same time that I was looking in that direction.

Best of all though was walking to my seat in the mixed section and meeting an old mate I've know for over 30 years sitting a few seats along from me in the same row.

Not seen him posting in a while.

Well done for making the trip mate, sounds like you had a cracker, result aside of course.

Not seen him posting in a while.

Well done for making the trip mate, sounds like you had a cracker, result aside of course.

Mearns has a new username now mate.

The trip was unreal. I left Calgary on Tuesday morning and was home again by Thursday night. Two-thirds of that time was spent travelling, but that day in Seville was an amazing experience (result apart, as you say). I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Mearns has a new username now mate.

The trip was unreal. I left Calgary on Tuesday morning and was home again by Thursday night. Two-thirds of that time was spent travelling, but that day in Seville was an amazing experience (result apart, as you say). I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Good on you bro. I booked my trip six weeks ago and it was pretty stress free but, must admit I wished we were out there a bit longer.

Standing having a pizza slice and beer before the walk to the ground. Met 2 lads from Stirling who had hired a campervan and driven 30 hours to Seville.

they had stopped in San Sebastián en route.

First lad, “did you know San Sebastián has more Michelin star restaurants than anywhere else on Earth?”

i7, “No mate, sounds great, where did you eat?”

Second lad,”…….China Buffet King, all you can eat for €20”

Was like a classic deadpan Trigger line.

turns out they ate the place out of everything, eventually asked to leave after destroying a trough of spicy prawns.

back to the campsite, first lad jumps into the caravan for a substantial bowel movement. Half way through, the toilet door opens and the owner of the camper van informs him furiously that HIS camper van is 2 spaces down.

Standing having a pizza slice and beer before the walk to the ground. Met 2 lads from Stirling who had hired a campervan and driven 30 hours to Seville.

First lad, “did you know San Sebastián has more Michelin star restaurants than anywhere else on Earth?”

turns out they ate the place out of everything, eventually asked to leave after destroying a trough of spicy prawns.

back to the campsite, first lad jumps into the caravan for a substantial bowel movement. Half way through, the toilet door opens and the owner of the camper van informs him furiously that HIS camper van is 2 spaces down.
Will take a lot to top this

Another one the Mrs just remembered...
In case anyone post on here and wishes to fess up it was them.
On way back to Faro after match we stopped at a service station to get some much needed water and soft drinks.
As per that time of night shop closed but served through cashier window and bear in mind this is not at any major tourist place so English-let alone with Scottish accent not usually heard or understood.
The ones at the front buying water, soft drinks and crisps etc. them up comes fan 1.
"Right, can ah huv 45 euros worth of beer?"
Woman shakes head and says no as obv passed the time.
"well, can a huv 45 euros of ANY alcohol?"
Woman: "no, no alcohol"
"Aye ye huv, ah kin see it over there..." pointing to the beer
Woman again: "no alcohol"
I have a wee bit of Spanish so tells him that she cannot sell him any as too late and not allowed to.
"Whit? Fuxxake!" and off he went.
Next guy did not ask for the three things together but one at a time so off she went from cashier desk to bring back his request one at a time.
She had that Ronnie Corbett look halfway through the "4 candles sketch" when she came back and he asked..."Huv ye any Trident?" (the chewing gum haha)

Good lad is greg.

Sitting in a Kebab shop about 2:00 am after the game and a lad turned up asking for directions to his hotel. His phone had died and all he knew was the name of the street.

One of the other Bears Googled the address and says you are 800m away, takes him outside and shows him the way.

20 minutes later and we are just finishing our food and the same boy appears still unable to find it.:))

I then walked him down to the hotel and said to him, is this it? He says I’ve no idea! Told him to go and see if Reception knew or at least could charge his phone. Hope it was the boys Hotel.

The taxi with Tom Stoltman in front seat and four cramped in back concerned that we'd be stuck in Seville overnight was funny. You probably had to be there.
I passed the big man just over the big bridge ,he looked under pressure . Maybe he was concerned about getting stuck in Seville as you say

Also just remembered being in Bar 24(?) in Faro on Monday night and there was live music from 10:00 pm. Guy on guitar and lassie singing.

Few decent tunes with polite applause from the growing numbers in the bar. She then sings Simply the Best - fair to say she’ll never get a better reception for a song. :))

Myself ,the Mrs and my daughter were in Merced square Malaga on Tuesday afternoon . Good wee singsong with bears when 4 Frankfurt fans walked past.
All good natured too,one of the Frankfurt fans was dancing and singing Infront of us , ten German bombers was sung back at him ,I know, then a bear on one of those scooters went past with what can only be described as a Rangers seal face on! Maybe had to be there but funny as

Last edited:

That's fucking outstanding!

I have one from tonight …

Was in a bar in Albuferia and chap comes in with a Rangers top on so chatting away he’s just arrived with his mrs and asked was I at Seville etc so got chatting … he then tells me and I quote “I think Rangers are a championship level team” and “Ryan Kent wouldn’t get a game in the championship and Sunderland were his level at best.”

Best thing is he wasn’t even blazing - mental people in our support can genuinely think that - madness

Motorway on way back from Seville to Gibraltar in the hire car, need to refuel so we come off drive 3km to a service station, open the door of the car to the worst smell of shite I’ve ever smelled, right next door to the garage the farmer was spraying the fields in manure, coupled with 35 degree heat and a million flys all over everything,

tops up over our mouths running into the garage to pay for it and seeing the attendant eating his dinner in between the fly’s and smell wtf ...

On the Tuesday night in Seville there were 5 of us but got split up. Took me about half an hour to find the digs from wherever I was, found them but couldn’t get in. Phoning the rest of the boys non stop - no answer. Rattling the front door - no answer. Pushing every buzzer - no answer. At it for about 20mins. Was then I found the key for the digs in my pocket. Felt like a right fud. Also bypassed my bed and went to sleep on the balcony.

Swear I only had the one pint B-D

Enjoyed reading these, it doesn't take the sting out of the result, but has reminded me what an occassion it was and how proud I am to have been there. Couple of memories that immediately spring to mind:
  • Bumped into Darrell Curry, Emma Dodds and Alec Rae who it turns out were staying at the same hotel as me.
  • Returned to the hotel after the game to find two locals battering lumps out of each other. Asked the concierge what was happening, apparently one of the men was pestering tourists trying to sell them drugs. The other man, a taxi driver, thought he was embarrassing the good people of Seville and decided to kick his head in.
  • Two Bears who somehow managed to procure a hose pipe and were spraying passers by from about 5 floors up. It was so hot I gladly took a drenching.
What a trip, man.
I’d love to see that :p:p:p:p:p:pB-DB-)B-DB-)

The wee local guy playing the accordion in the old town who had clearly done his research. Played Follow Follow and the Sash and every so often came out with a random FTP. Probably a devout catholic as well but he made a few euros anway!
Same guy was in braga he obviously travelled to make cash off the bears to be honest in braga they were a few off them and a pain in arse after a while I saw him again on the way to the game in Seville

Posted this on another thread but... we parked the car well away from the centre and were waiting on a taxi in the blazing heat. Some Spanish guy in an old banger stopped at the lights and shouted us over and offered us a lift to the fanzone for free. 5 of us squeezed into this roasting hot shitty wee car that started making all sorts of noises. Guy kept smacking the aircon to get it working and insisted on keepin the windows closed in what felt like 40 degree heat in ths back. Got to the fanzone and he drove into his mates bar and we got a drink with him. Absolutley brilliant of the guy and said how much he just wanted us to have a good time.
On the Tuesday night in Seville there were 5 of us but got split up. Took me about half an hour to find the digs from wherever I was, found them but couldn’t get in. Phoning the rest of the boys non stop - no answer. Rattling the front door - no answer. Pushing every buzzer - no answer. At it for about 20mins. Was then I found the key for the digs in my pocket. Felt like a right fud. Also bypassed my bed and went to sleep on the balcony.

Swear I only had the one pint B-D
One too many pints young man , did you pish the balcony

It was an honour to stand side by side with you and those minutes we were in the lead is an indescribable emotional feeling
Feeling is mutual my man.
Since we got to the final, it was always the goal. So glad we got lucky with the tickets when it looked like it wasn’t going to happen.
I’m pretty sure at one point I told you we’d be there no matter what.B-DB-DB-D
I reckon we’ve got one more final in us at least. Next time, itll be the right result!

I was sat near the Rangers dugout 3 rows from the front.

A certain Mr Laudrup walked past and the guy beside me started to shout on Laudrup. Laudrup didn't hear him so I shouted on him. Laudrup then looked over, we both waved and then Laudrup smiled and waved at us.

It was pretty cool.

Was with my 6 year old boy. For all the lows of the result and the stadium, an amazing experience.
Special shout out to the bears in the Italian next to the Rangers end (Amici’s) great singing and great company

Not funny at the time but got my barcode activated then it disappeared at the next bit. Thankfully a young lady from UEFA retrieved it for me. Headed straight in before it disappeared again.
Anyone else have this issue?

My barcode came up saying it must be scanned in X seconds, then by the time I got to the front it showed that the ticket had already been scanned/used (it hadn't). The lady talked to her supervisor and thankfully it was no issue.

Not that funny given how deid we all were after the game . .

Walked for ages (towards our apartment) trying to find somewhere to buy water after the game. Stumbled across a takeaway selling lukewarm blue glass bottles of water for 3 euros a pop . . right few bears in there. Guy must’ve made a fortune.

No sign of food at that place. Happened to stumble across ‘Kebab Queen’ on maps. 10 min walk, thought %^*& it. Looks like its still open. 3 blokes running the joint and I kid you not they seemed to be turning out 1 kebab every 20 mins. A lot of hungry, dehydrated roasting bears queueing for ages for that. It was that ridiculous it was (almost) funny. Guy was microwaving frozen chips so he could deep fry them quicker . . kebab wasn’t worth the horrifically long wait.

Back to apartment, plugged in my phone charger and it tripped the electricity. Air con, lights etc all go out. Was an air bnb so cupboards where I’m expecting the trip/fuses to be all locked up. Messaged the owner. Passed out. Roasting, no air con. Think the guy eventually showed up in the morn.

Missed our bus back to Malaga in the morn. Had to fork out £250 for a taxi to make my flight.

Brilliant trip but could do with forgetting the last 24 hours!
Got to chuckle at Kebab Queen. Wife and myself weren’t bothering to get food, but then just about to step back into our apartment she decided she wanted fed, we’d actually been in Kebab Queen the night before and enjoyed it so headed back over about 1am. I must’ve waited in the queue for 25 mins -getting nowhere, with the crabbit lady's front bottom in the mask project managing serving kebabs, when the wife appeared at the door declaring she wasn’t waiting any more so we left, so we eventually got into bed about an hour later than we should’ve.

The taxi with Tom Stoltman in front seat and four cramped in back concerned that we'd be stuck in Seville overnight was funny. You probably had to be there.
I must have saw you as I was talking to the Bigman and his girlfriend at the bus station just before they got the uber

Singing Super Trouper Rangers version on one of the Aqualand water slides untill reached halfway and nearly got drowned ,a few Gers fans in there the day after the game.

It's a water ride theme park in Torrelimelonos

Enjoyed the 60 min or so stand up routine from Mr Daniels on the bus from Faro to Punta Umbria on Monday night.What a hoot.Some nice singing from Swanny too.Magic.

Got to chuckle at Kebab Queen. Wife and myself weren’t bothering to get food, but then just about to step back into our apartment she decided she wanted fed, we’d actually been in Kebab Queen the night before and enjoyed it so headed back over about 1am. I must’ve waited in the queue for 25 mins -getting nowhere, with the crabbit lady's front bottom in the mask project managing serving kebabs, when the wife appeared at the door declaring she wasn’t waiting any more so we left, so we eventually got into bed about an hour later than we should’ve.
When he arrived I thought brilliant, someone to help get the queue down. Guy couldn’t even hand out plastic bags properly and seemed to slow things down instead. I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure a kebab should take about a minute to throw together - not a clue wtf was going on. If you don’t laugh you’d cry . . sorta summed up the night tbh.

When he arrived I thought brilliant, someone to help get the queue down. Guy couldn’t even hand out plastic bags properly and seemed to slow things down instead. I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure a kebab should take about a minute to throw together - not a clue wtf was going on. If you don’t laugh you’d cry . . sorta summed up the night tbh.
I know, he was absolutely fucking hopeless. The very definition of an empty jersey! Useless cnut!

Literally just home in the last 2 hours.

Thursday AM I headed back to Daya Vieja near Guardamar with Cammy and we had a cracking steak dinner at an Argentinian steakhouse. It was good to decompress from Wednesday.

My amusing story is from Wednesday morning.

Having had too much to drink on Tuesday night, up and out on Wednesday morning for a light Spanish breakfast. A guy sat at the next table on his won and spoke zero Spanish whilst the waiter with zero English. I helped him with his breakfast order using my pigeon Spanish. Coffee, orange juice and ham. Easy.

His pal arrived and I heard him saying “him over there. Flawless Spanish. Amazing”.

Flawless my hole :D :D

Another one the Mrs just remembered...
In case anyone post on here and wishes to fess up it was them.
On way back to Faro after match we stopped at a service station to get some much needed water and soft drinks.
As per that time of night shop closed but served through cashier window and bear in mind this is not at any major tourist place so English-let alone with Scottish accent not usually heard or understood.
The ones at the front buying water, soft drinks and crisps etc. them up comes fan 1.
"Right, can ah huv 45 euros worth of beer?"
Woman shakes head and says no as obv passed the time.
"well, can a huv 45 euros of ANY alcohol?"
Woman: "no, no alcohol"
"Aye ye huv, ah kin see it over there..." pointing to the beer
Woman again: "no alcohol"
I have a wee bit of Spanish so tells him that she cannot sell him any as too late and not allowed to.
"Whit? Fuxxake!" and off he went.
Next guy did not ask for the three things together but one at a time so off she went from cashier desk to bring back his request one at a time.
She had that Ronnie Corbett look halfway through the "4 candles sketch" when she came back and he asked..."Huv ye any Trident?" (the chewing gum haha)
Haha had a very similar experience when we stopped to fill up on the road back from Seville to Malaga at about 3am. One poor guy on a night shift when he probably sees about 2 customers a night - big long queue of bears buying all sorts very slowly through a wee hatch.

I get into the queue and my brother starts to fill the car up. No petrol comes out. He’s shouting this over to me and a guy in the queue tells me you need to tell the we guy through the hatch how much petrol you want and pay for it before filling up! Wtf? Sounded far too confusing so just left.

I have one from tonight …

Was in a bar in Albuferia and chap comes in with a Rangers top on so chatting away he’s just arrived with his mrs and asked was I at Seville etc so got chatting … he then tells me and I quote “I think Rangers are a championship level team” and “Ryan Kent wouldn’t get a game in the championship and Sunderland were his level at best.”

Best thing is he wasn’t even blazing - mental people in our support can genuinely think that - madness
That’s a Tim trying to blend in :))

Just met a couple of guys who were on the same flight bhx Almeria.

Big chap left his phone in Wetherspoons,

Wee chap couldn’t find their car after the game and when he did it was locked in the Uni’ car park.

To lighten the mood slightly any good stories from the trip away from the football?

I got locked in my park and the barrier didn't go up, tried in my best broke English to explain to the attendant through the intercom what was happening. Didn't go well then about 2 cars later drive into said barrier and broke it

Also there was an older bear with a very younger lady at 1am thanking her for her services and asking to keep in touch, "Gloria I've had a smashing time, let's keep in touch" maybe an expensive night for that older bear though don't want to assume :D
Smallest guy in our group rugby tackling big bouncer outside legends bar in Albuifera. Right up in the air and landed on top of him on car bonnet missionary style. Oh how I laughed. Big guy took it well to be fair

Back