Anybody Figuered out how to watch BBC WC in 4K

To get on I Player, you need to change to IPlayer beta. You can do this in the settings.

This can be done on both the iPlayer app on connected tv’s or also on the virgin iplayer app.

Picture quality is unreal but I’ve had a lot of buffering when trying to use it. The Peru/Denmark game is the first time it has really worked and that was using 200mb virgin WiFi.

They are using HDR which is a step up from the ultra 4K used by BT and sky.

Hope this helps!

if you have a smart tv you go to your apps and open up bbc iplayer, it is always the 1st option any time a game is on

To get on I Player, you need to change to IPlayer beta. You can do this in the settings.

This can be done on both the iPlayer app on connected tv’s or also on the virgin iplayer app.

Picture quality is unreal but I’ve had a lot of buffering when trying to use it. The Peru/Denmark game is the first time it has really worked and that was using 200mb virgin WiFi.

They are using HDR which is a step up from the ultra 4K used by BT and sky.

Hope this helps!

I must admit I went through Virgin and even at 200 mb the buffering was quite frequent, so reverted back to HD and on the Panasonic is first class, there’s still a lot to go before 4K is a norm.

I must admit I went through Virgin and even at 200 mb the buffering was quite frequent, so reverted back to HD and on the Panasonic is first class, there’s still a lot to go before 4K is a norm.
Are you using WiFi connection for the TV? If you can try a wired connection.

200mbps is way way more than enough to stream the compressed 4K you’ll get from iPlayer.

Of course 200mbps will be the theoretical maximum. You won’t get anywhere near that, especially on Wi-fi

My tv isnt on the list of supported tv's yet its a Samsung k8000 4k 10 bit HDR and should be more than fine with 4k content.

I have that TV, and it’s UHD Premium certified and does 4K HDR brilliantly. However until now HDR was only possible with pre-recorded content, as it is essentially metadata coded into the disc/file. It wasn’t possible on live transmissions until the BBC and some Japanese firm came up with a way of doing it (called Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)). Whilst our TVs (Samsung 2016 models) can indeed play HLG (there are examples on YouTube you can play) the BBC are using something called DVB-DASH for their adaptive streaming of 4K HLG and Samsungs only support that from 2017 models onwards

not seeing any option for UHD here. Guessing it’s at full capacity already?

I have that TV, and it’s UHD Premium certified and does 4K HDR brilliantly. However until now HDR was only possible with pre-recorded content, as it is essentially metadata coded into the disc/file. It wasn’t possible on live transmissions until the BBC and some Japanese firm came up with a way of doing it (called Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)). Whilst our TVs (Samsung 2016 models) can indeed play HLG (there are examples on YouTube you can play) the BBC are using something called DVB-DASH for their adaptive streaming of 4K HLG and Samsungs only support that from 2017 models onwards

So is UHD better than 4K ?

Difference between Ultra HD and 4K. Technically, "Ultra High Definition" is actually a derivation of the 4K digital cinema standard. However while your local multiplex shows images in native 4096 x 2160 4Kresolution, the new Ultra HD consumer format has a slightly lower resolution of 3840 X 2160.8

Great picture but is a bit behind . Also can cut out at times . Not reliable so standard HD until it improves

I thought the difference was massive. I changed my picture settings to 'Dynamic and this made it even better and sorted out the 'dark' picture to boot.

Watch 15 mins of Spain v Portugal on BBC UHD channel on Friday on brand new 4k tv and commented that picture wasn't great therefore tuned into BBC1 HD and picture was fantastic. Was not impressed at all with BBC UHD channel whereas I watched Champions League final in 4k on BT's You Tube channel and picture quality was superb.

To all intents and purposes to the layman, it's the same thing. 4K was 4096 x 2160 resolution for film production/cinema and UHD is the consumer term which works out at 3840 x 2160 for television, the difference is because TVs use a 16:9 aspect ratio.

The UHD Alliance came up with the terms "UHD Premium" to certify TVs meet a certain standard, namely:

Resolution: 3,840x2,160 pixels

Color depth: 10-bit (important for HDR, as most other TVs are just 8-bit).

Color gamut: Wide, including the ability to show at least 90 percent of the P3 colour gamut

HDR: Specifically the ability to use SMPTE ST2084's electro-optical transfer function

Minimum brightness and contrast ratios: There are two possible minimum specs: a minimum brightness of 1,000 nits, along with a black level of a maximum of 0.05 nits (20,000:1 contrast ratio) (i.e. LED LCD panels), or a minimum brightness of 540 nits, along with a black level of a maximum of 0.0005 (1,080,000:1) (for OLED panels)

Back