Anyone think we'll try to move Helander on?

His injuries have tended to be long term ones.

I don’t think he’s the same as Roofe or Ramsey, which are constant little niggles keeping them out.

In one of his last games he was MOTM against Spain.

Worth getting back to fitness and playing a big part for us.

His injuries have tended to be long term ones.

I don’t think he’s the same as Roofe or Ramsey, which are constant little niggles keeping them out.

In one of his last games he was MOTM against Spain.

Worth getting back to fitness and playing a big part for us.
Did he have a history of those type of injuries before he joined Rangers that you of?

I don't see anyone coming in for him unfortunately.

But if we can then Helander & Roofe should be moved on.

Liabilities.
It may get to the point where we have to cut losses and just release Helander. Roofe should get a fee, and I'd keep Balogun.

Did he have a history of those type of injuries before he joined Rangers that you of?

I couldn’t tell you. Couldn’t say whether Ryan Jack did or not either but the same argument would have seen him sold a few months ago

good player - but only being fit for 20 ish games a season on average is not what we need at the moment.

the biggest issue with the 3/4 centre backs we are likely to be left with Katic / Helander / Souttar and Balogun is injury proneness

Goldson wasn't the 2nd coming of Maldini - but he was always available - id suggest Helander should go if we get anywhere near £3m for him.

Wiki mate, 35 games.
Theres no way he has played 60 games for us.
He has played under 200 games for senior clubs at 30 next year.
Poor if you ask me.
If you think an outlay of 6 million with no sell on fee is a great return for a guy who contributed mainly to one trophy is good then thats up to you.
He HAS made 60 appearances for us. Check Transfermarkt. Wiki tends to only list league matches. Its a very poor research tool for footballers.

Doesn't change the basic thrust of your argument but if you want to start throwing stats in then its best to keep them accurate mate.;):)

With recovery and a good solid pre season under him he will be a huge asset to the club. I’d keep him and build get a new partner to compliment him.

Played too few games for us and overall not enough for a guy his age, especially a defender.

Hes a good player but just not robust enough so Id sell.

Reality is though nobody will pay a fee or match his wages which is a constant problem for Rangers trying to move on players like him.

He needs to play in a league where they tickle rather than tackle. If we can get a combined 8 million for Roofe and Helander I'd bite the hand.

Let me throw that back to you: You're a coach or DoF at a team who can afford either of those 2 players.

You're really paying Rangers the same, if not more, than they paid for 2 players who are *hugely* injury prone and are 2 years older?

I know you said 'if' but it's just not going to happen.

I'd take £2m for each, maybe even less for Helander, as you're handing yourself at least £60k a week to use.

Love the big man but far too injury prone. I reckon we need to sign another centre half anyway, but of the two I'd rather have another year of Balogun than Helander tbh.
Helander has had 3 Injuries in his time with us. 2 foot injuries and knee surgery. You feel we should try get rid of him. Just out of curiosity are you happy to have signed souttar. He has had 18 seperate injuries whilst at Hearts and has missed over 950 days with injury. Just asking.

We need to offload a few of our injury prone players and use the money to buy someone reliable.

No more injury prones or squad fillers.

Yes, and I don't think it would be a bad thing. I love big Helander. I think when he's fit and playing he's a brilliant defender and probably our best on ability by a good bit. The trouble is he clearly can't stay fit and that in all honesty is of no use to us.

The one area of the field where we don't want to be chopping and changing is the central defence. We want two regular players playing there most of the time, changing occasionally. That builds a very strong defence.

Sorry, but for me Gio should be looking to move Helander on.
Better than Goldson? You’re having a laugh, Helander is slow, cumbersome, injury prone and only good with his back to goal. Goldson and indeed young Bassey are light years ahead in most departments.

I’ll be happy if we get a fee for him in terms of moving him on.

Better than Goldson? You’re having a laugh, Helander is slow, cumbersome, injury prone and only good with his back to goal. Goldson and indeed young Bassey are light years ahead in most departments.

I’ll be happy if we get a fee for him in terms of moving him on.
In all honesty, I think that is harsh as %^*&. I did mention the reason for moving him on was because he was injury prone. If he could stay fit and played an entire season then yes, I think he probably is better than Goldson. His pace isn't a problem as he's generally very good at reading the game. As for the cumbersome, not sure where that came from.

You make it sound like Goldson is perfect and has done nothing wrong. He has more than made his fair share of mistakes as well.

So, I still stand that Helander should be moved on. I still stand by that if he could stay fit for a full season he'd be the best central defender at the club. Will Bassey overtake him as a centre back? Probably but I'd rather Bassey focus on being the monster of a left back he is.

He HAS made 60 appearances for us. Check Transfermarkt. Wiki tends to only list league matches. Its a very poor research tool for footballers.

Doesn't change the basic thrust of your argument but if you want to start throwing stats in then its best to keep them accurate mate.;):)

I have clarified that, a waste of £8 million quid

In all honesty, I think that is harsh as %^*&. I did mention the reason for moving him on was because he was injury prone. If he could stay fit and played an entire season then yes, I think he probably is better than Goldson. His pace isn't a problem as he's generally very good at reading the game. As for the cumbersome, not sure where that came from.

You make it sound like Goldson is perfect and has done nothing wrong. He has more than made his fair share of mistakes as well.

So, I still stand that Helander should be moved on. I still stand by that if he could stay fit for a full season he'd be the best central defender at the club. Will Bassey overtake him as a centre back? Probably but I'd rather Bassey focus on being the monster of a left back he is.
He gets murdered by pace;

Brophy, Dykes and hapless O Hallaron turned him inside out, he cost us two maybe three goals v Benfica, their third he had about a five yard start on the attacker and got roasted. Decent back to his own goal defender in a team that doesn’t play a high line…Not in Goldson’s post code as a defender.

That's basically just one season for us in terms of football games played.

Folk should get used to Helander being around for a fair while yet. He was still in a 'moon boot' last Saturday. Nobody in their right mind is going to buy him until he has proven himself fit and able to play again (for at least a wee while!). Earliest he will be moving, in my view, would be the Winter transfer window.

Has he played under Gio more than twice?
I don't remember.

Gio probably has already his made his mind up about Helander's future.
Another player possibly Gerrard might be 'sniffing' around?

With recovery and a good solid pre season under him he will be a huge asset to the club. I’d keep him and build get a new partner to compliment him.
Then you have the situation where he will need managed and it's become proven he can't play 2/3 games a week for whatever reason.

Same applies to Balogun and folk want him signed up for another season.

We can't keep carrying these players unfortunately same applies to Roofe even Jack has he even managed a 90 minute game since his return ?

He gets murdered by pace;

Brophy, Dykes and hapless O Hallaron turned him inside out, he cost us two maybe three goals v Benfica, their third he had about a five yard start on the attacker and got roasted. Decent back to his own goal defender in a team that doesn’t play a high line…Not in Goldson’s post code as a defender.
In all fairness, I don't think it matters our opinions on whether he is good or not. He still should be moved on and as soon as possible.

Then you have the situation where he will need managed and it's become proven he can't play 2/3 games a week for whatever reason.

Same applies to Balogun and folk want him signed up for another season.

We can't keep carrying these players unfortunately same applies to Roofe even Jack has he even managed a 90 minute game since his return ?
Why would he need managed if he’s fully fit.

Part of the challenge is that players like Helander and Roofe have returned quickly or too early.

I honestly believe if we get him fit and through a proper pre season and get him up to speed he’s our best defender.

I wouldn't have thought having him & Souttar in the same position with their injury records would be wise. Goldson is leaving. Katic will return, but he has also had a bad injury in the past. Bassey could be off if we get a big offer, although I'm optimistic we'll keep him. Young King loooks good, but I can't see him being a mainstay in the team next season. Big decisions to be made at centre half for Gio.

Part of the challenge is that players like Helander and Roofe have returned quickly or too early.

I honestly believe if we get him fit and through a proper pre season and get him up to speed he’s our best defender.
I don't know the full script with Helander he needs carefully managed and that's why he was regularly rotated in and out of the team even when fully fit.

I do agree though fully fit and on form he is a cracking defender but if he keeps picking up injuries and has to be managed then we have a problem.

He states he regularly takes pain killers before games and has done since the age of 20 it's all in this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gl...ers-defender-filip-helander-says-20712332.amp

I don't know the full script with Helander he needs carefully managed and that's why he was regularly rotated in and out of the team even when fully fit.

I do agree though fully fit and on form he is a cracking defender but if he keeps picking up injuries and has to be managed then we have a problem.

He states he regularly takes pain killers before games and has done since the age of 20 it's all in this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gl...ers-defender-filip-helander-says-20712332.amp
He’s a brilliant defender.

Players take painkillers, injections, strappings all the time.

I know some players who wear custom insoles in their boots to help with problems in their posture and helps their back, knees etc.

Big Fil could be like a new signing of we get him ready to go from game 1.

He's hardly been fit since he's been here and contributed very little to the team what makes you state he's our best defender?

A bit like Kemar Roofe, if he could be relied on to stay fit he wouldn't be at Rangers. At top class defender who would be at Arsenal/Chelsea level if he could keep his backside off the treatment table.
His lack of pace would hold him back at that level.

He's hardly been fit since he's been here and contributed very little to the team what makes you state he's our best defender?
Contributed very little? His partnership with Goldson last season was incredible.

Yes he’s missed a lot due to injury this season but that’s part of professional sport, people get injured.

I say he’s our best defender as he is a true out and out defender, he had an unreal stat where we never lost when he played.

Contributed very little? His partnership with Goldson last season was incredible.

Yes he’s missed a lot due to injury this season but that’s part of professional sport, people get injured.

I say he’s our best defender as he is a true out and out defender, he had an unreal stat where we never lost when he played.
Even then he missed a lot of games Helanders played the equivalent of one season's games since he's been at us and you say he's the best defender, he's hardly ever available.

Incredible?
You do realise he played SIX league games last season
22 in our title winning season and 8 the season before.

He is a very good defender but his fitness is an absolute nightmare. I am sure I read Goldson phase played more games for us this season than Big Fil has since he signed for us.

No time for sentiment. Should try and get rid of:
Helander
Hagi (good sellable asset)
Roofe
Itten
Davis
McGregor

Also shouldn’t have extended Arfield’s contract.

Players like Goldson are invaluable. Never injured.

Only sell if we can get our money back on him, other than that he stays. When fit he is a brilliant defender so we shouldn't be letting him go for nothing.

How do folk think we’re moving him on without paying him up? He’s a top player but his injury record means we’re not going to have a queue to buy him.

Back