Arbroath top of the championship

The Championship is often competitive compartmentally but Arbroath are really not a good side and this indicates just how bad the standard of the League is this season.

Poor players making up , sun standard teams all coached by frauds.

He was in the papers a number of years ago because he was caught up singing the sash at one of our European away games - think it may have been Valencia or Sevilla
Seville … his brother had just died and he got caught up in the emotion of it all because he was in the company of his brothers supporters bus … he was embarrassed by the whole thing afterwards … his wife, who is a Catholic was mortified by it all

The best of it is he never sang any sectarian songs but it was portrayed that way in the scummy Scottish media

Does that rule still exist though?

Their ground is laughable. Don't think sponsors or Sky would be too enthusiastic.

DoukcM0X0AEvWof.jpg

Arbroath-250799-TGS91735.jpg
Under no circumstances should Premiership football be player at that ground :eek:

The Championship is often competitive compartmentally but Arbroath are really not a good side and this indicates just how bad the standard of the League is this season.

Poor players making up , sun standard teams all coached by frauds.

You could throw the top six from the Championship right now and the overall standard would be the same.

What you would see over time is Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United, St Johnstone and Motherwell suddenly being able to grow and contribute more.

We carry the whole league in terms of attraction and coefficient, but at the same time we strangle it.

Four times a season against the same teams every year is brutal. Even against them, I'd rather just two Old Firms a season. It would increase the value of the fixture.

Four times a season against the same teams every year is brutal. Even against them, I'd rather just two Old Firms a season. It would increase the value of the fixture.
Absolutely spot on , the structure across the whole game is damaging to the product and general development of clubs.

It’s been that way for many , many years and anyone paying attention can see it.

Ergo in Scotland it’ll never change.

Too much bother to make the effort.

At this moment in time Arbroath are top on merit.
If they manage to continue the run and win the league then they deserve go up. Doesn't say much for the full time teams in that league.
It's the first season in that league in a long time there's not an outright favourite ourselves, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United have all been down there in recent years. You can't really split any of those teans in there this season I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down to the last one or two games

Noticed they had Rab Douglas on the bench today. He’ll be 50 in 4 months, imagine he has to come on :eek:

Can see the scenes already:

August 2022: Opening game of the season.

League Winners Rangers vs newly promoted Arbroath. The youthful 40 year old McGregor in goals against Arbroaths 50 year old Douglas.

The Championship is so tight, it would make so much sense to just turn our top flight into a 20 team league. Top and bottom halves would be equally competitive, and it would be so refreshing to have more variety every year.

Would also be great to get the split completely to %^*&.

Our TV deal is shit anyways, so we need to stop basing everything around 4 Old Firm games a year.

Absolutely spot on , the structure across the whole game is damaging to the product and general development of clubs.

It’s been that way for many , many years and anyone paying attention can see it.

Ergo in Scotland it’ll never change.

Too much bother to make the effort.

It's been a form of self harm since 1975.

Ironically, Arbroath finished bottom of an 18 team league that season.

Scottish Football started dwindling at that point. Not the only reason, but reducing the league was one of the contributing factors.

Only in Scotland could the story of a part time team who haven’t been in the top flight in about 40 year leading the second tier be called embarrassing. What a fucking miserable place.
Couldn’t agree more.if they got up it would be a brilliant story and not the least bit embarrassing for Scottish football.i think some on here a frightened at the prospect of going to gayfield in the middle of winter and being blown to Norway.give me gayfield any day of the week than some of the soulless stadiums like Livingston,st mirren have.would gayfield be any more embarrassing than the gazebo at Hamilton.
Arbroath get us then that is because they deserve it.

Only in Scotland could the story of a part time team who haven’t been in the top flight in about 40 year leading the second tier be called embarrassing. What a fucking miserable place.
Just on FF to be fair. Everyone I have spoken to think it’s great and wants them to win including myself.

Seville … his brother had just died and he got caught up in the emotion of it all because he was in the company of his brothers supporters bus … he was embarrassed by the whole thing afterwards … his wife, who is a Catholic was mortified by it all

The best of it is he never sang any sectarian songs but it was portrayed that way in the scummy Scottish media
100% correct , i was in that pub and had a good conversation with him , proper football man.

Back