Arfield chance

Said at time the follow up from Jack should have burst the net or nestled it in the corner, he done neither.

Only defence is that it sat at an awkward height/ close to his body and had to wait on it coming down but still, for a pro and one of our main men he needs to be showing composure and finishing that.

It's pretty much the entirety of our team who are poor are shooting. Outside of Tav and Lundstrom most of our team are poor at shooting. Moreles and Roofe are decent at times aswell. The rest are all pretty poor finishers. It's our biggest weakness and something that has never been addressed ever since the start of Gerrard's reign. We seem to have all these metrics and data for signing players to improve, yet don't seem to go for players who are good strikers of the ball.

Kent, Aribo, Davis, Kamara for their level are very poor at shooting. For Kent and Aribo in particular we should be getting far better goal returns from the advanced positions they play.
Agreed on all points mate.

It's the most frustrating aspect of our play.

Bit harsh on him, watching the highlights the ball is actually played just slightly behind him and he has to check his run and hit it with his trailing leg.

If he was a few inches back or the ball was a few inches in front he could’ve hammered it but it landed to him in probably the most awkward position and all he could do was contort his body to try and guide it.
At last, someone who actually understand football and how everything isn't just black and white.

Arfield chance=arfield miss. 9 times out of 10........ For those defending him, have you forgotten his sitters against braga I think it was. Astonishing and infuriating

I disagree 100% with your opinion.

We’ve won 55 last season with an amazing set of figures with records broken. We scored some great team goals & different types of finishes.

This year in Europe the team has been outstanding home & away. It’s disappointing how league draws have scuppered our search for 56 but I’ll not be critical on this set of players.
You're entitled to your opinion bud, I respect that.

No one is more appreciative of what this group has achieved than me given what Rangers have come through these last few years and I genuinely mean that.

I think our build up play is among the best I've witnessed as a Rangers fan for nigh on 50 years. We are consistently good to the point where getting results away from home in Europe is expected rather than hoping for the best. It's a joy to watch. It's easy to overlook, but that's not lost on me.

NO, my point was more an admission of our shortcomings, not necessarily a criticism as daft as that sounds. More of an observation if you like.

Our league form in particular would have been so much better had we just a couple of players in the squad capable with weighing in with goals and I make no apologies for saying that. It's something that really should have been addressed over the last two windows and undoubtedly would have seen us retain this league title imo.

I'm pretty positive Guys like Arfield, Aribo, Kent, would admit themselves their numbers could be better. God willing the Ramsey signing may yet pay off for us in spectacular fashion, but the lack of that type of guile in front of goal is all that's standing between this Rangers team and greatness imo.

I get what the OP is saying, him and Jack should have done better.
But it’s the Sakala chance that hits the post that I keep repeating in my head. If that’s an inch to the left we win that game.

Arfield?

Thought he was poor on the ball first half, although he still kept McGregor quiet and was all over him like a rash, as soon as he got possession.

2nd half he still kept McGregor quiet, but was involved in most of our best attacking moves.

Arfield didn't even attempt to challenge McGregor in the lead up to their goal.

I think it was simply one of those days for us. We should have won the game easy in the end but lack of cutting edge cost us the 3 points. Kind of sums up our season.
Its always one of those days with us. How many times have we had chances like that where our finishing has been poor. Straight at the keeper, off the post, off the bar. Collate the figures and I bet we're at the top for missed gilt-edged chances

Shooting prowess needs to be a factor when signing midfield players. We have too many who are awful in front of goal and a big part of our problem is them being shit scared reluctant to shoot and show themselves up.

Said it for years, watch us warm up and watch the players shoot at goal. For many it's just a basic attribute they don't have.

It’s a good save.

For me, Jack has to do better on the rebound. He just dinks it into Hart’s arms

I think it was simply one of those days for us. We should have won the game easy in the end but lack of cutting edge cost us the 3 points. Kind of sums up our season.
Unfortunately we've had about 10 one of those days in the league this season

Hence why we have thrown it away

There trying to say it was a good save but it wasn’t , was right at hart he didn’t even need to move pish attempt from arfield as per

There trying to say it was a good save but it wasn’t , was right at hart he didn’t even need to move pish attempt from arfield as per

As per Celtic a couple of weeks ago and a couple of seasons ago.
As per Galatasary, Villarreal, Tynecastle, Easter Rd, Pittodrie, and so on and so on.

There's been a lot of his "As per, pish attempts" that have weirdly resulted in some huge goals for us.

Should have scored and so should Jack.

Arfield is so bloody inconsistent it's ridiculous.

Feels like 3 games he'll play well and the fan base are saying he has to start.. followed by 3 games where he's utterly useless.

Thought he looked miles off it yesterday.

As per Celtic a couple of weeks ago and a couple of seasons ago.
As per Galatasary, Villarreal, Tynecastle, Easter Rd, Pittodrie, and so on and so on.

There's been a lot of his "As per, pish attempts" that have weirdly resulted in some huge goals for us.
As per braga last week , could of cost us big time , “couple seasons ago” so you judge players on form from couple of seasons ago then ? Was a big fan of him but we need better than him IMO

He seemed to miss kick it

Slightly behind him

Would have been better to try and lift it and it would have went in

The sakala chance is the one that hurts the most

He has to go across the keeper low but he takes an extra touch

In what world does questioning a miss translate into abuse, flower?
Go from Shagger to Sakala then onto GVB and then the board everyone gets it from the keyboard dicks, we all support the same team but some of the shite posted is embarrassing, the match threads are a headfvck.

In my day daisycutters were used to describe absolute howitzers, much like Albertz used to flush. Never seen it used as a negative before if I am being honest.

Go from Shagger to Sakala then onto GVB and then the board everyone gets it from the keyboard dicks, we all support the same team but some of the shite posted is embarrassing, the match threads are a headfvck.

Have you reported any of these posts you see?

You're entitled to your opinion bud, I respect that.

No one is more appreciative of what this group has achieved than me given what Rangers have come through these last few years and I genuinely mean that.

I think our build up play is among the best I've witnessed as a Rangers fan for nigh on 50 years. We are consistently good to the point where getting results away from home in Europe is expected rather than hoping for the best. It's a joy to watch. It's easy to overlook, but that's not lost on me.

NO, my point was more an admission of our shortcomings, not necessarily a criticism as daft as that sounds. More of an observation if you like.

Our league form in particular would have been so much better had we just a couple of players in the squad capable with weighing in with goals and I make no apologies for saying that. It's something that really should have been addressed over the last two windows and undoubtedly would have seen us retain this league title imo.

I'm pretty positive Guys like Arfield, Aribo, Kent, would admit themselves their numbers could be better. God willing the Ramsey signing may yet pay off for us in spectacular fashion, but the lack of that type of guile in front of goal is all that's standing between this Rangers team and greatness imo.
Yeah I take your points & agree with a fair few of them with regard us in Europe. We’ve been outstanding the last 4 seasons in Europe. Most consistent in Europe in my life time pal.

Regard recruitment & improving our squad…unfortunately it would have taken some big money transfers IN (we didn’t have as we didn’t sell anyone) last summer to improve our midfield + to increase our goals from that area. Gerrard has said very recently he wanted the Board to go again for him last summer but they didn’t…& once Villa came in he wanted to go.

This summer coming is huge I think we need 2/3 centre midfielders with Davis & Arfield moving on. I hope the Board backs Gio like they did Pedro & Gerrard.

Arfield has been a great bit of business by the Club on a free but I think he’s past his best & should not be resigned next year. I’ll never forget how he carried the fight to them his first few season with also scoring important goals for us.

Kent has delivered for Rangers big time in my opinion…in Europe & against them. I’d be resigning him & offering him good money alongside the Buf.

Yes Numbers are important especially in the modern game but I’m a bit old school & I like to watch the player play & not worry too much if he got the final assist or pass for a goal…for example Bassey got the credit for goal on Semi Final but Kent’s driving run was key.

Buzzing for Thursday night I can’t wait. This team I’ll never forget it’s been a great 3/4 years for me. The run in Europa League has cost us 56 this year in my opinion.

I agree.

Has a very weak shot on him. Very frustrating.

Yes - the semi final blah blah blah. But his finishing generally is absolute gash.
Same can be said about Davis, Jack and Kamara. Their shooting is terrible.

Same can be said about Davis, Jack and Kamara. Their shooting is terrible.
Yes, those three, along with Arfield - their shooting is like a pass-back to the keeper more often than not. Very disappointing aspect of our play and has been for ages.

The ball was behind him and he did well to get it on target. His runs into the box are excellent, in fact, he's the only midfielder that does it for us. One of the few midfielders we have that is a goal threat.

It was a terrific late run into the box and he tried to glide it into the corner.
He was unlucky imo.

Heavily involved in our goal and also played a perfectly weighted ball through to Sakala for his one on one with Hart.

He also pretty much closed down McGregor and nullified him yesterday.
Wow?! If closing him down is allowing him to spray it right and left as was allowed in first half…you surely don’t think Arfield had a good game on Sunday? How did you view his blind pass backwards to no one circa 30 yards out and right in the middle of the park? He’s an absolute menace in possession unless he’s in the final third where cheap possession surrender is less dangerous and tbf he does make decent runs occasionally. I’m also not a fan of his back tracking which too often to me looks like going through the motions. I can barely remember him ever doing a Dialo type tackle for example. Personally, think he adds little and gets away wi murder. Depresses me when he’s in the team as normally means our squad is so threadbare he has to play…God knows why Lowry doesn’t get his chance when we reach Arfield in the pecking order. All about opinions.

Watch him score the goal that puts us through to the final now, when everyone’s (rightfully) slating his finishing.

I agree.

Has a very weak shot on him. Very frustrating.

Yes - the semi final blah blah blah. But his finishing generally is absolute gash.
Translation:- I'm just going to ignore all the evidence that contradicts my opinion and cling onto the stuff that doesn't.

Arfield has scored plenty in his time with us. Some very important goals and some very technical finishes.

Jack is one of FollowFollow's favourite sons though, so seems to be missing getting any stick for what was a horrific attempt that amounted to no more than a pass back. Had it been the likes of Aribo, Kamara, Sakala missing the rebound they'd have been, rightly, slaughtered.

Jack has been poor the last few weeks.

Translation:- I'm just going to ignore all the evidence that contradicts my opinion and cling onto the stuff that doesn't.

Arfield has scored plenty in his time with us. Some very important goals and some very technical finishes.
Ah, the myth continues.

4 league goals this season, 4 league goals last season and 5 league goals the season before.

Absolutely prolific is Scott Arfield :rolleyes:

I thought the worse miss was Jack from the rebound. He was running in on goal, central, the keeper getting up off the ground, and far more of the goal to aim for.

Think it's a bit harsh on Arfield in all honesty he done the right thing but Hart got across and made a good save. He couldn't really go to smash it as Carter-Vickers is there whereas he's tried to catch Hart out with trying to guide it into the corner.

The follow up as well with Jack it doesn't really sit up for him and he has Bitton charging at him and Carter-Vickers is blocking the corner so even if Jack did connect am not sure it would have went in as he could only go where Hart was.

Last edited:
Back