Argentine Superliga

You’re less cynical than me. I just think ‘we’ll it would happen here depending on who is asking’

If it was a 'dodgy decision' then it isn't paying off as Boca are losing 1-0 at half time in their Libertadores match. Lose and they are out.

Ultimately, I don't know so I'll give them the doubt - don't want the Boca boys going in a huff with me again. :D

If it was a 'dodgy decision' then it isn't paying off as Boca are losing 1-0 at half time in their Libertadores match. Lose and they are out.

Ultimately, I don't know so I'll give them the doubt - don't want the Boca boys going in a huff with me again. :D

Fair play dr. I’m sure the Boca boys are not to be trifled with.

Here's a photo to celebrate Belgrano getting a new fan:

DcOdYrrXkAAGuYN.jpg:large

Cheers. Great stuff on here again. Must have the most content of any thread on the board!

Had a look for some links and couldn't really find anything. Only thing was a game between Brazil and Argentina from 1939 in which he played - you couldn't make out what was happening, let alone individual players.

I'll have a look for other players, probably of a slightly younger vintage, who aren't that well known and try and post some videos and info on them.

Had a look for some links and couldn't really find anything. Only thing was a game between Brazil and Argentina from 1939 in which he played - you couldn't make out what was happening, let alone individual players.

I'll have a look for other players, probably of a slightly younger vintage, who aren't that well known and try and post some videos and info on them.

Great. Cheers mate.

Great. Cheers mate.

Sastre gets a brief mention in AWDF:

- He was considered by Menotti to be the best player he ever saw.
- In 1980 he was voted one of the 5 greatest Argentinian players of all-time.
- He played in Brazil, for Sao Paulo, where a statue of him was erected due to his performances.
- The Sao Paulo President said of Sastre, "If there was ever a Nobel prize for football there's no doubt the whole of Brazil would vote for Sastre."

He was a tall powerful midfielder who could have easily played at centre forward. Sounds like a player who was ahead of his time.

Sastre gets a brief mention in AWDF:

- He was considered by Menotti to be the best player he ever saw.
- In 1980 he was voted one of the 5 greatest Argentinian players of all-time.
- He played in Brazil, for Sao Paulo, where a statue of him was erected due to his performances.
- The Sao Paulo President said of Sastre, "If there was ever a Nobel prize for football there's no doubt the whole of Brazil would vote for Sastre."

He was a tall powerful midfielder who could have easily played at centre forward. Sounds like a player who was ahead of his time.

You can’t quibble with that list of commendations. It’s a pity we can’t see a genius like him. Guys like him get lost because of it.

Today is the birthday of San Lorenzo legend Jose Sanfilippo. He's the 5th highest scorer in Argentinian football.

Surprisingly, for the time (50's and 60's) he was very self-aware of what he had to do to be a professional footballer. He realised he didn't have the physical attributes to be a great athlete so worked tirelessly on improving his skills - he created the Sanfigol: a wall the size of a goal divided up into 80cm by 80cm squares on which he would practice his shooting. He was also aware of the need to look after himself: good sleep, diet and training - very unusual for the time.

He is especially remembered to two memorable moments. The fist was a goal for San Lorenzo against Boca. At the kick off he told his teammate to play a long ball forward as he ran towards the Boca penalty area. The ball was slightly behind him, as he approached the box, so he flicked it with the back of his heel, scorpion style, and the ball went into the net without having touched the ground. Even today this goal is still reminisced about.

The other moment was when he played for Boca. He was named as a sub in a game against San Lorenzo. Subs were only allowed if there was an injury in the first half. Having not been brought on before the intereval he ran up to the manager to find out why he hadn't been brought on? Deambrossi replied, "The manager can do whatever he likes." Sanfilippo's reply came as a punch, knocking the manager over. He was transferred to Nacional not soon afterwards.

DcXQgXyW4AAvC22.jpg

Could only find a few brief videos of him:

I've tried to bring a little bit of politics into this thread, without getting political, so thought I would post the following picture:

DcnA8ssX0AA9nrG.jpg

of Eva Maria Duarte de Peron who was born on this day in 1919.

To keep it about the football, she was the face and driving force of the Evita Championship. The tournament began in 1950 and was open to any team of children that went to the offices of the Evita Peron Foundation. This was a way of acting as a welfare organisation as it provided the teams with kits and had the children go for compulsary medicals, immunisations and x-rays.

The finals were played in BA where she would perform a ceremonial kick-off:

Eva-Peron-1919-1952-former-act_54327067528_53389389549_600_396.jpg

Last edited:
Pavón, Pavón, Pavón! Another unconvincing win by Boca - but how many times have we said that this season?

Reports that Racing will ask Inter if they can hold onto Martinez until December, primarily for their Libertadores campaign. Interestingly, it's saying Martinez would like to but his agent wants him at Inter sooner rather than later.

Pavón, Pavón, Pavón! Another unconvincing win by Boca - but how many times have we said that this season?

Reports that Racing will ask Inter if they can hold onto Martinez until December, primarily for their Libertadores campaign. Interestingly, it's saying Martinez would like to but his agent wants him at Inter sooner rather than later.

Pavon has been outstanding since the turn of the year.

I said it a while ago: those three games where Boca won an additional 5 points with goals in injury time have been key.

Been talk of that for a while. I've read conflicting reports of Martinez saying he would like to stay but can't. Put it this way, I don't see the upside for Inter if he does stay.

Love the highlights without any commentary. A blow for River and their Libertadores qualification.

Controversy in a Primera B play-off as San Martin 3-3 Villa Dalmine ends with post-match brawls involving players, coaching staff and assorted others:

Highlights:

No penalties to decide the tie. San Martin as the higher placed seed progress into the next round. They came from two down to make it 2-2 but Villa grabbed a goal 5 minutes from time. San Martin score in the 94th minute to go through.

Here's an 'excited' local commentator:

Think the only way River can qualify for the Libertadores is by winning this years Copa.

Totally unacceptable, but you do have to love a post-match rammy. Certainly puts Willo Flood in perspective.

:D at the commentator. Bit different from Arthur Montford's, "It's a goal."

Arsenal de Sarandí's players are considering a boycott of Wednesday's match against Racing. The team, already relegated, have not paid their wages for two months and they have not trained for the last two games in protest.

They might have considered this option earlier as they beat Rosario 4-0 at the weekend.

My wife and her family are Macri supporters and detest Kirchnerism, so my outlook/knowledge is influenced by them.

They also like what Mayor Larreta is doing in BA and together with Macri appears to be attempting to pull the city/country into the 21st century - from the rebuilding of the train station to the waterfront construction at Puerto Madero. One of the repeating themes I heard was the potential in the country if they could move beyond the past and the ingrained culture of corruption. Even little things such as the growth of craft beers and micro-breweries is indicative of a change - and 'Scottish' is one of the major brews.

The city is generally clean, it felt safe and police presence is noticeable (or at least the parts we were walking). And on a selfish note... 20 pesos to the US$ made it hugely affordable!

Of course if you live in one of the 'misery towns' and other poorer neighborhoods, there will be a very different perspective on inflation, craft beers and the police.

I see the Peso is absolutely tanking today. Down about 6% on the day (so far) and 33% since the start of 2018. And this is whilst interest rates are at 40%.

More and more pain ahead.

I see the Peso is absolutely tanking today. Down about 6% on the day (so far) and 33% since the start of 2018. And this is whilst interest rates are at 40%.

More and more pain ahead.

As someone said, it's the same movie all over again. And again. And again. And...

The markets have recovered a little following Macri's lunchtime broadcast. When economic reform is dependent on external financing, a change in global circumstances was always going to lead to problems.

I'm unsure how Argentina moves on from the policies and cronyism of Kirchnerism, as well as decades of economic selfishness and mismanagement from all hues of politicians.

Boca have the opportunity to officially clinch the title this evening and become 'double champions' (winning two years in a row) for the first time since 1965.

There are only five double champions: Independiente (1938-39); River (1941-42), Boca (1943-44); River (1952-53) and Boca in 1964-65

Only twice has their been 'treble champions': Racing (1949-50-51) and River (1955-56-57)

Other news... Boca announce new sponsorship deal with Qatar Airlines. I didn't realise Qatar (and Japan) have been invited to the next Copa America.

José Manuel Moreno was ranked the 5th best South American player in the 20th century yet I'd be suprised if more than a handful, on here, know of the great Argentinian forward. Part of the famous front five of River, know as La Maquina (Moreno, Munoz, Labruna, Loustau and Pedernera), was regarded as the most technically gifted of the quintet.

The Uruguayan forward, Walter Gomez, said of Moreno, "The greatest, better than Pele, was Moreno. What mastery of the ball, what strength, what precision, what style! Pele broke into a sweat; Moreno played in tails."

Whilst this highlights his brilliance it also alludes to his carefree attitude away from the pitch - he liked to spend his nights in bars and milonga clubs. The great Boca striker, Pancho Varallo, thought that if Moreno had shown the discipline to train properly then he could have surpassed even Maradona.

A likely apocryphal tale is told of Moreno that prior to a match against Racing, after a big night out, he was warned by doctors that if he played twenty minutes he would die. Not only did he play the full game, he was man of the match. Is there as much myth as truth in this story? Probably. But as JW says in AWDF, this encapsulated the greater truth in how Argentinians saw themselves: skillful and clever, impudent and daring, elegant and brilliant, unconventinal and unrestrained to the point of irresponsibility.

But there was a toughness to this artist. He confronted Estudiantes fans who had run onto the pitch with raised fists in boxing mode. And when he was struck on the head by a stone thrown by Tigre fans he rebuked the physio for trying to help, "Why should I accept treatment? So that lot can feel good and go round singing that they hit Moreno? No Sir! The only time I get treatment on a pitch is when I have to be carried off." Different days, indeed.

Here's a brief video (which as always doesn't do justice) to the first man to win league titles in four different countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Manuel_Moreno

Jos%C3%A9_M._Moreno_%28River%29._-_El_Gr%C3%A1fico_1162.jpg

Last edited:
Boca have the opportunity to officially clinch the title this evening and become 'double champions' (winning two years in a row) for the first time since 1965.

There are only five double champions: Independiente (1938-39); River (1941-42), Boca (1943-44); River (1952-53) and Boca in 1964-65

Only twice has their been 'treble champions': Racing (1949-50-51) and River (1955-56-57)

Other news... Boca announce new sponsorship deal with Qatar Airlines. I didn't realise Qatar (and Japan) have been invited to the next Copa America.

Don't know what it is like today, but the forecast was for more heavy rain. Here's hoping the game gets played. Would be nice for the neutrals, of which I am one :D, if Gimnasia won.

Yeah, I wonder why Qatar got an invite? :rolleyes: There's actually been talk of an uncertain future for the Copa America - would be a blow to see it disappear.

Fabricio Bustos has signed a new deal at Independiente. Most importantly, for the club - he will probably be leaving, is that his new release clause in $20m.

Cruz Azul (Pedro) has had a bid rejected for Lanus player Ivan Marcone. It is believed that a deal can be concluded.

Great scenes at la Bombonera - a full stadium to welcome back the team at around 11:30pm. Boca are now 3 behind River Plate in League titles (33 to 36). But, of course, as every Boca mentions... no relegation!

They got there in the end, aided by a mistake from defender Coronel (ex-River).

Great scenes at la Bombonera - a full stadium to welcome back the team at around 11:30pm. Boca are now 3 behind River Plate in League titles (33 to 36). But, of course, as every Boca mentions... no relegation!

They got there in the end, aided by a mistake from defender Coronel (ex-River).

Hope you and the wife enjoyed the celebrations! :)

Without being brilliant (since the injury of Benedetto) they've been by far the most consistent and resiliant team in the league.

José Manuel Moreno was ranked the 5th best South American player in the 20th century yet I'd be suprised if more than a handful, on here, know of the great Argentinian forward. Part of the famous front five of River, know as La Maquina (Moreno, Munoz, Labruna, Loustau and Pedernera), was regarded as the most technically gifted of the quintet.

The Uruguayan forward, Walter Gomez, said of Moreno, "The greatest, better than Pele, was Moreno. What mastery of the ball, what strength, what precision, what style! Pele broke into a sweat; Moreno played in tails."

Whilst this highlights his brilliance it also alludes to his carefree attitude away from the pitch - he liked to spend his nights in bars and milonga clubs. The great Boca striker, Pancho Varallo, thought that if Moreno had shown the discipline to train properly then he could have surpassed even Maradona.

A likely apocryphal tale is told of Moreno that prior to a match against Racing, after a big night out, he was warned by doctors that if he played twenty minutes he would die. Not only did he play the full game, he was man of the match. Is there as much myth as truth in this story? Probably. But as JW says in AWDF, this encapsulated the greater truth in how Argentinians saw themselves: skillful and clever, impudent and daring, elegant and brilliant, unconventinal and unrestrained to the point of irresponsibility.

But there was a toughness to this artist. He confronted Estudiantes fans who had run onto the pitch with raised fists in boxing mode. And when he was struck on the head by a stone thrown by Tigre fans he rebuked the physio for trying to help, "Why should I accept treatment? So that lot can feel good and go round singing that they hit Moreno? No Sir! The only time I get treatment on a pitch is when I have to be carried off." Different days, indeed.

Here's a brief video (which as always doesn't do justice) to the first man to win league titles in four different countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Manuel_Moreno

Jos%C3%A9_M._Moreno_%28River%29._-_El_Gr%C3%A1fico_1162.jpg

That’s brilliant. You have to be some player to look that good on those pitches.

Back