Aribo has looked out of sorts since Afcon return

Coisty09

Official Ticketer
Big Joe has not looked himself since returning from Afcon.
He was pretty anonymous against the scum last week and OK v Hearts but poor tonight in my view.
He wasn’t driving at their defence and rarely did we see him glide past anyone during the 90 minutes this evening.
Just wondering if he’s feeling a bit of tiredness after traveling half way around the globe and playing three games in seven days.
Hope he’s rested at the weekend and given a cameo against Dortmund so that he’s back to his best for the crucial run-in games.

I agree but his role has changed slightly from the central number 10 role he was flourishing in before Christmas.

I know Lowry played in the UEFA Youth League on Tuesday night but I think he needs to be reintegrated into the squad as a natural replacement for Aribo when Joe is out of sorts. Lowry is really the closest thing we have to Aribo and his performances against Livi and Stirling warrant another chance. He’ll probably feature against Annan but needs to be in every league squad IMO.

Ramsey could potentially also play the Aribo role but Aribo is a far better link between attack and midfield IMO.

Either way, even if he’s not bang in form you know that Aribo has the potential to do something special and create a goal out of nothing. His second half was better than his first last night.

Agreed, he has looked sluggish and a bit disinterested, great player when he's on it but a man down when he's not. Thankfully Alfie, Kent, Lundstram all seem to have upped their performance levels.

He’s not playing the same role he was before he left for AFCON. He’s not as far advanced and more involved in the build up, less deep runs through the middle etc. His build play in midfield is helping create more chances so it’s helping the team overall I’d say.

He's just reverted back to his stop start performances from earlier in the season. He had a run of 5 or so games where he really looked to take responsibility and drive the team on but been unable to continue it.
I took pelters before for saying it and no doubt will do again but he stands out sometimes in poor/average performances but more often than not he does nice things with little end product and he disappears a lot. His continual need to take to many touches makes me cry because when he keeps things simple he contributes far more.

Thought he looked brilliant against Ross County, hasn’t kicked on from there.
Just back from an international tournament I suppose, maybe jaded.

I feel like he's suffering from a lack of confidence. The Nigerian press were absolutely brutal towards the team getting knocked out and he was one of their great hopes as the number 10. They were basically painted as failures who let the future prosperity of the country down. Hopefully a wee rest and he'll return refreshed and with a clear mind.

The disinterested thing is an outlier as he's always played like that. Right from when we first signed him he's been getting pelters for his style of play!

Lay offs or breaks of any kind really seems to disrupt our form. I’ve noticed this since Gerrard was in charge. many times we’ve been on a roll only for it to be interrupted by an international or winter break which sees us cone back sluggish. I’ve no idea what the corelationship is, but it’s happened consistently.

He was pretty anonymous against the scum last week and OK v Hearts but poor tonight in my view.
He wasn’t driving at their defence and rarely did we see him glide past anyone during the 90 minutes this evening.
Just wondering if he’s feeling a bit of tiredness after traveling half way around the globe and playing three games in seven days.
Hope he’s rested at the weekend and given a cameo against Dortmund so that he’s back to his best for the crucial run-in games.
Stevie wonder here his work rate in the last 3 games has been nothing but outdtanding

Maybe didn’t expect to be returning to Scotland after AFCON.

We need the FF body language experts to confirm,

Thought he looked brilliant against Ross County, hasn’t kicked on from there.
Just back from an international tournament I suppose, maybe jaded.
We’d better hope this is the case.
Very poor against the scum and this is a worry.
He wasn’t alone in that but it’s not for the first time and, like with everybody else, that’s the bread and butter game.
Wasn’t great against Hearts, was better against Hibs but he really needs to be more consistent against Septic.
Was he just tired?
Rest him till the next league game and we’ll see then, for sure.

I agree but his role has changed slightly from the central number 10 role he was flourishing in before Christmas.

I know Lowry played in the UEFA Youth League on Tuesday night but I think he needs to be reintegrated into the squad as a natural replacement for Aribo when Joe is out of sorts. Lowry is really the closest thing we have to Aribo and his performances against Livi and Stirling warrant another chance. He’ll probably feature against Annan but needs to be in every league squad IMO.

Ramsey could potentially also play the Aribo role but Aribo is a far better link between attack and midfield IMO.

Either way, even if he’s not bang in form you know that Aribo has the potential to do something special and create a goal out of nothing. His second half was better than his first last night.
I’d love to see young Lowry playing in the first team more, but I think the concern with that is once Lowry hits 5 games for the first team he can no longer play in the B team, and with the likes of Davis jack and now Ramsey and the re-emergence of lundstrum, he might find chances at the business end of the season limited

Came back from AFCON and heard Diallo had a song already and we still don't have one for him. He's pissed off about it and has downed tools. Impeccable source.

Agree with this, and it made sense Lowry was playing against Sevilla, we should see him back for Annan, give Aribo a deserved rest, and no more B squads this season.

I agree he hasn’t been as electric as he was pre Christmas, however others have stepped up like Alfie and Kent, and that’s how it goes with good teams, it’s hard to stay on that sort of level all the time.

He will get back to top form soon enough.

Has looked alright to me apart from scum game but tbh the whole team apart from Jack were shite

He was solid.

It's actually a tactical change which has resulted in him being less prominent offensively. We are giving up a bit of him in that free no.10 role for midfield solidity which tbh I think is the best way against tougher opposition

Give him the weekend off, let him recharge.

He'll have the huge Dortmund game to look forward to and will surely be ready to showcase his best on that stage.

Playing him vs Annan at all just risks further burnout and jadedness.

He‘s played a lot of games and had to travel about, also didn’t get a break over winter

Hopefully a break at the weekend will help

Much better last night than in the previous couple of games. I would definitely be resting him at the weekend to try and freshen him up a bit. Hopefully the Dortmund fixture will get him going again.

The last two matches he’s been extremely neat and tidy. Started numerous attacks and been fouled so many times - many not given.

The opposition swarm him when he’s in possession, especially 25 yards out.

His movement and positioning when we were attacking was extremely poor last night, the amount of times we had the ball on the left hand side he could easily have put in a bit of effort to get into the box but choose not to, he hung about at the edge of the box marked rather than taking a chance of bursting forward, on the flip side, his defensive work was all there, was very noticeable when Ramsey came on and failed to track runners giving Hibs a few chances.

Big Joe is looking a bit tired, a weeks rest now shoukd see him alright, still been our best player this season

I thought he was brilliant against Ross County and had a solid performance tonight.

He wasnt bad last night but I thought his support of Kent on a number of occasions was lacking, he wasn't running into the space, leaving Kent with little options, tactical or tiredness, I don't know?

If you're judging him by the stellar standards he set before the AFCON, then it's probably fair to say he hasn't quite hit those heights since returning, he was the best player in the league for the first half of the season. It's also to fair to say that he remains one of our most consistent performers and is a more rounded player now than at any other time with us. Never hides, outstanding ball retention and an increasingly important ball-winner in our midfield press. If he can get back to creating chances and the odd goal, he'll be on track for our player of the year.

One of the first names on the team sheet, for me.

The way Gio is currently setting up the team, he could be competing with Ramsey soon, for the attacking midfield position.

Arfield playing on the right means Tav has protection, when bombing forward.

Back