Aribo has looked out of sorts since Afcon return

Last night, I thought he started as he'd done in the previous game -- looking like he had his boots on the wrong feet. Lack of control, not looking sharp, no dribbling or passes really coming off.

However he definitely improved as the game went on, and I'd say that by the end of it we were close to what he was pre-AFCON : looking for and taking the ball, shielding it, turning and twisting and dribbling out of a clump of opposition players.
Much much better.

I still think he's better for us further up the pitch though, but when on form he is an outstanding player, wherever he plays.
Which reminds me of how well he played at left back when required a while ago .... lol ...

We just deliberately ignoring his superb performance against Ross County, just because some of his teammates let the side down?

FWIW, I thought he was average at best against Hearts, but a lot better last night, even if it wasn't his pre-AFCON levels of brilliance.

'Out of sorts' I'm not having. Strange thread.

He has dipped a couple for sure but POY contender for me over the season.
As an aside how many fouls were commited against him last night without penalty!

Agreed that he is not looking quite up to it and gave the ball away a fair few times last night. Perhaps a rest and allowing Ramsay a go is the way ahead, especially against Annan at the weekend.

Well
Big Joe has not looked himself since returning from Afcon.
He was pretty anonymous against the scum last week and OK v Hearts but poor tonight in my view.
He wasn’t driving at their defence and rarely did we see him glide past anyone during the 90 minutes this evening.
Just wondering if he’s feeling a bit of tiredness after traveling half way around the globe and playing three games in seven days.
Hope he’s rested at the weekend and given a cameo against Dortmund so that he’s back to his best for the crucial run-in games.
Well you must be watching a different Aribo from me. He was excellent against Hearts and he had a very good game again last night but what do I know.

A player can never just be out of form eh?
Never said he wasn't, he just didn't look up for it last night - only an opinion mate. Plus I had a few sherberts so maybe I embellished a little - I didn't mean 'he's deffo away!' disinterested, I just meant he wasn't really in it.

Possible case of believing his own hype?
The truth is probably somewhere in between Nigeria having a disastrous AFCON by their expectations hitting his confidence and playing an awful lot of football without a break like the rest of the squad.

Only does well against wee teams hence why he had a good game against Ross county. Is way over-rated on here by the majority, doesn’t have a position that you would actually say is his best.

Players go through periods of being quiet or on top form throughout a season… up to a Christmas we had Aribo in great form, through Jan/Feb then Arfield has been doing well.
Morelos coming into for just as we get into a critical stage of the season now too.

As long as one or two are hitting for at any time then we’ll be doing well.

Agree has been well off it last 3 games imo. Probably just some fatigue. A rest will do him good.

He was pretty anonymous against the scum last week and OK v Hearts but poor tonight in my view.
He wasn’t driving at their defence and rarely did we see him glide past anyone during the 90 minutes this evening.
Just wondering if he’s feeling a bit of tiredness after traveling half way around the globe and playing three games in seven days.
Hope he’s rested at the weekend and given a cameo against Dortmund so that he’s back to his best for the crucial run-in games.
Hes tired. Lots of travel,games and shit weather to come back to.

Not for me he hasn't, apart from the scum game he's been one of the best players in the team. Hard working, tricky and inspirational.

He’ll be knackered! Season started for him back in July, we’ve probably played around 40 games since and any time the rest of the squad have off during international breaks/winter break, he’s been flying to Africa and playing every minute for his country.

Even if he’s physically fine I think he needs a psychological break more than anything else - that schedule’s not healthy.

He has been asked to play a bit deeper than before Afcon. I think this is the difference.

He needs rested looks well off it, goes missing in games now before Afcon he was our main man.
"Well off it" is hyperbolic rubbish. He has carried the team through much of the season and has only recently had to travel to play in a major tournament. He still poses a significant threat to our opponents but would probably benefit from a bit of a break to recharge his batteries.

If Ramsey gets minutes this weekend we will be that much closer to being able to give big Joe a rest.

He’s being played wel out of position.

He needs rested looks well off it, goes missing in games now before Afcon he was our main man.

Yep, agree, he was totally anonymous tonight, I'm even hazarding saying disinterested. :/

6/10 for me.

Do you ever look at any context whatsoever?

Disinterested = you invented this from your imagination.

He goes missing because left midfield does not suit his game. When he receives the ball he is left footed and this leaves him with little options. He is not ideal for a crosser of the ball. He is best on the right coming in and smashing shots with his left foot.

Definitely looking out of sorts. After an absolutely fantastic first half of the season he now looks jaded According to reports in some international papers he was Nigeria's main man in their AFCON games just as he was for us before the break. Add the travelling on to this and it's no wonder he looks a bit off. A wee break at the weekend will do him a power of good IMO.

"Well off it" is hyperbolic rubbish. He has carried the team through much of the season and has only recently had to travel to play in a major tournament. He still poses a significant threat to our opponents but would probably benefit from a bit of a break to recharge his batteries.

If Ramsey gets minutes this weekend we will be that much closer to being able to give big Joe a rest.

You have to play well every game at Rangers, I acknowledged he was the best player in the team earlier in the season but he is not now and is going missing in games he needs a rest as he's not playing at the level we know he can.

You have to play well every game at Rangers, I acknowledged he was the best player in the team earlier in the season but he is not now and is going missing in games he needs a rest as he's not playing at the level we know he can.
He needs a rest to get back to.his very best, but even now I suspect he is one of the first names on the teamsheet, and rightly so.

Before he was playing as a 10 in the middle. Seems like now his role has switched to an 8/10 hybrid which he's not quite as effective at.

Formation change has benefited team, less so Aribo personally

This is not the time to be carrying players Aribo further forward or not at all as he struggles the further back he goes in the team.

There is scarcely a player in our squad that the team has not had to 'carry' at various times this season. Big Joe has been a stalwart this season and has earned some understanding for a temporary drop off in form. There have been many worse than him and for longer too.

You should maybe try Man City as they seem more suited to your demands of absolute perfection from every player in every game. They are boring as feck though.

Last edited:
Think he grew into the game last night but still wasn't near his usual level.

If we've got the games for it I'd be happy to see Lowry and Ramsey come in for him a bit for the next week or two. Certainly against Annan I think Lowry has to start, with Ramsey getting a good half of football at least.

It seems like the AFCON spell has disrupted his league form.
Thought he looked brilliant against Ross County, hasn’t kicked on from there.
Just back from an international tournament I suppose, maybe jaded.
I thought he was brilliant against Ross County and had a solid performance tonight.

Ross County first half he was excellent, no one even came close to pass marks to be fair, he understandably ran out of legs with the travelling, training/playing in 30 degree heat to gale force cold conditions in Dingwall, but was needlessly run in to the ground, that day, he should have been off at 70 minutes.

Fresh legs that day when other players were needing/deserved minutes (Jack/Lowry) could have been the difference between the 3 points we had to the one we got.

As a result too many at the Piggery were physically blown out the water with celtics energy, attitude and desire.

We are also tinkering with our set up that isn’t helping. Different systems game to game.

Definitely looking out of sorts. After an absolutely fantastic first half of the season he now looks jaded According to reports in some international papers he was Nigeria's main man in their AFCON games just as he was for us before the break. Add the travelling on to this and it's no wonder he looks a bit off. A wee break at the weekend will do him a power of good IMO.
Play him on the right wing and see what happens… doesn’t need rested.

I think he took a knock before the last group game of the AFCON, since then he's not really been the same. He didn't look 100% in the game against Tunisia.

He needs space to work in, even though he has the physique and control to hold off players in tight areas, that can sometimes bog him down, he knows they can’t get the ball off him so sometimes doesn’t do the easy thing, beat a man once and head for goal.

Far more effective one on one and running in to space.

Put himself everywhere, but looks like he needs a good rest.
Remember the others got that.
He didn’t get anything when he went off to AFCON.
Beginning to show.
Struggling to make 90 minutes right now.

But can still turn a game with a touch of magic!

with each game he is getting back to influencing matches as he was
manage him well for a few weeks and he'll be fine
no need to play saturday and keep taking him off if games are won

Big Joe is my favourite Ranger a fantastic talented player. We wont need him against Annan but he will start against the Germans. He will run rings around Witzel.

Only does well against wee teams hence why he had a good game against Ross county. Is way over-rated on here by the majority, doesn’t have a position that you would actually say is his best.
Yes you must be right. Gets voted MoM week after week but we all must be wrong and you must be seeing what's really happening.

Either that or you're talking shite

Which is it? It's a real conundrum

He was pulled back four times in the first half. No fouls given. That doesn't help.

Yes you must be right. Gets voted MoM week after week but we all must be wrong and you must be seeing what's really happening.

Which is it? It's a real conundru

Which is it? It's a real conundrum
Not lately he hasn’t Morelos is our best player by a mile.

Has played a lot of football recently, a couple of weeks on the sidelines may be no bad thing , especially if we can get Ramsay up to speed . The manager has options now .

Back