Aribo, what is he giving us?

This time last year Barasic was getting this treatment. Sometimes guys just take time to settle especially at a club like ours.

Kent intentionally got the same treatment last year.

I often wonder why we struggle to bring youth through and then remember threads like these.

Clearly needs time but he's not someone I'd be relying upon in big games at the moment.

Davis ahead of him for sure, maybe even Arfield back in centrally ahead of him too.

I agree, give him time. He's had a fair crack at getting time playing so far hence people asking what he's offering as it's been a inconsistent offering from him.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember you saying Coulibaly and Aribo were different class.

Whilst they could turn out to be, I think the same token of giving it time to let him settle could be used to see if they can do it over a period of time rather than watch them in two or three games and be impressed then jump to conclusions.
I had never seen Coulibaly play before he joined us mate so never made any comment on him, it was Kamara who i posted about a year before we signed him and he turned out ok.

I did give a big shout for Aribo before he signed, his ability isn't really in question for me i think we just need to let him settle.

I think you can tell by the way Gerrard has spoken about him in the past that he is a special player but we have only seen glimpses.

I dont remember making any wild claims that Aribo would win us the league or anything ? i said he looked a really good player thats all

Last edited:
I had never seen Coulibaly play before he joined us mate so never made any comment on him, it was Kamara who i posted about a year before we signed him.

I did give a big shout for Aribo before he signed, his ability isn't really in question for me i think we just need to let him settle.

I think you can tell by the way Gerrard has spoken about him in the past that he is a special player

It was after he had played a few for us if I remember correctly. Understandable at the time as he looked a good prospect.

I also agree that Aribo has something about him although I do have a few things i'm interested to see how they work out with him.

I'd have been happier to see people viewing him as a prospect and avoiding this kind of flak going his way as he was hardly going to come up and dominate the game the way some would have you believe. It's rare anyone with no experience in this league comes in and does an instant job, exceptions sometimes happening of course.

Anyway, hopefully he gets some of the swagger back he had at first glance and imposes his style more as he certainly has the makings to build himself into a good player.

It was after he had played a few for us if I remember correctly. Understandable at the time as he looked a good prospect.

I also agree that Aribo has something about him although I do have a few things i'm interested to see how they work out with him.

I'd have been happier to see people viewing him as a prospect and avoiding this kind of flak going his way as he was hardly going to come up and dominate the game the way some would have you believe. It's rare anyone with no experience in this league comes in and does an instant job, exceptions sometimes happening of course.

Anyway, hopefully he gets some of the swagger back he had at first glance and imposes his style more as he certainly has the makings to build himself into a good player.
You can only really judge by what you see, if someone has a couple of great games for us like Coulibaly did then its ok to say so but i am not naive enough to think that will last an entire season.

We have seen it so often in the past where someone has a great 3 or 4 games then just goes right off the boil, Aribo has some fantastic skill and talent, lets hope in time we will see more of it once he adapts and settles, he is still a young player also.

I don’t think he’s kicked a ball for us yet personally. I have every faith that he will kick on in the 2nd half of the season. I was expecting to see him beat a man & either thread a pass through or have a shot at goal but he seems to play sideways a lot.

Was Aribo's former manager, Lee Boyer, correct when he claimed that the player had made a mistake in going to the SPL? While openly acknowledging that Rangers were 'massive club', and that the presence of Steve Gerrard at Ibrox was a major attraction, nevertheless maintained that his former player should have stayed in England.

In making this claim did Bowyer know something about the kind of player Aribo is that would make him struggle in the more physical environment of the SPL? Observing Aribo, there can be no doubt about his obvious talent and skill, his performances with Nigeria and also against 'Midgetland' confirmed this.

Why then has he failed thus far to shine consistently at Ibrox, is it another case - much like Borna - whose abilities were obvious but who took time to adjust to the less technical, more physically robust style of football in the SPL? Or, is it a case of Aribo, perhaps realizing in retrospect that Boyer was correct, and that Scottish football was not the best environment to develop his particular skills, or is it simply a case of Gerrard not playing Aribo in his best position, or finding a proper role for him within the team?

Whatever is the case, let us hope it turns out to be the 'Borna scenario' and that Aribo will eventually come good. Rangers have improved significantly under Gerrard, but there is still IMO, a slight quality gap between ourselves and the yahoos. A Joe Aribo playing to his full potential would go some way to help close it.

Weird that all the excuses being used in here for his poor form is the reason we can’t play our own youngsters

I don't think he made a misplaced pass yesterday or lost the ball, however, he is playing within himself and perhaps frightened to make an error.
He does need to be braver on the ball and he does need to turn forward in possession rather than backwards.
This will no doubt come and it is clear that he is concerned more with playing an error-free game in possession rather than his normal more adventurous one.
To say he had a poor game yesterday in a team performance that was below par seems to be rather unfair.

Good post Bilko, one that's constructive while nailing what we're all seeing at the moment - a guy with talent who appears lacking in self belief.

I'm guessing Gerrard has encouraged him to be more positive and to trust in his own ability, but as a result of not really doing it consistently enough he's been in an out of the team recently.

One thing that gets me though is that signing guys like Aribo is the very epitome of the business model almost all of us claim to support, namely: buying young players with promise that we can develop.

He's not the finished article and I don't think Gerrard and his management team thought he would be.

Might be worth bearing in mind?

FF is never happy, yesterday there were posts criticising Tav, Goldson, Helander, Aribo and Arfield, that’s almost half the team that people thought were crap, Lord knows how we managed to win. :oops:
We managed to scrape through yesterday against a team with a big injury list and i think people pay their money and have a right to their views being heard, in the case of Tavernier a pattern has developed over the last few seasons of bad blunders in defending that have cost us dear hence why he is rightly questioned, as far as the other players i think they did have a bad game, mainly because of the plastic pitch and frustration with Hamiltons defensive tactics so hope they raise their game on Thursday again.

He’s giving me a chance to see the hard of thinking who can’t help themselves when writing off a clearly talented and promising player who hasn’t been here six months yet.

You’d think FF had learned by now, surely...

I think it's a confidence thing with Aribo for whatever reason.

There was one point yesterday when he had the ball in a little bit of space at the halfway line and chose to pass straight to Jack next to him, he could have driven forward or had a look to see of anything opened up but didn't. He needs to start forcing the issue rather than handing it off to someone else.

Hoping he can have a defining game where he's the heartbeat of everything and that will lead him to believe in himself a bit more

Good post Bilko, one that's constructive while nailing what we're all seeing at the moment - a guy with talent who appears lacking in self belief.

I'm guessing Gerrard has encouraged him to be more positive and to trust in his own ability, but as a result of not really doing it consistently enough he's been in an out of the team recently.

One thing that gets me though is that signing guys like Aribo is the very epitome of the business model almost all of us claim to support, namely: buying young players with promise that we can develop.

He's not the finished article and I don't think Gerrard and his management team thought he would be.

Might be worth bearing in mind?
Starring for Charlton in League One isn't the same as pushing for honours in front of 50,000 every week whilst being expected to also perform and win in European competition.
Lee Bowyer really never had a clue.
But Steven Gerrard does and he will develop the lad correctly.

barisic was rightly getting criticism as his performances last season were very poor, wouldnt you agree?

i wouldnt be playing aribo v the mentally challengeds, not involved enough at times but id play him in european games and against spl dross.
I mean the fact folk wrote barasic off before he was truly up and running much like they are with Aribo with no lessons learned.

It's clear he's a player

Ryan Jack is the only one who appears to have escaped criticism from FF yesterday, someone even had a go at Kent.
Another was we need to buy another striker as Defoe is pish.
Think only a £20million spend in January will suit some

People wanted Jack gone at the start of the season too.

Steven Gerrard said even 2 weeks ago he still couldn't believe we got him, you know? One of the best midfielders of his generation.

Think ill take his opinion on the quality of Aribo over some of the utter sh*te we're seeing on here.

i think we've played 29 games this season

we've drawn 4 and lost 2.

He's part of a squad that's won an awful lot of games this season, and while no one is exempt from criticism I don't understand why these threads are popping up more often.

We've seen Kamara, Arfield, Aribo, Goldson, Defoe, Tavernier as well as Barker and Ojo have these kind of threads against them.

All of whom have contributed to a large amount of wins so far.

Yes, they may not beat 10 men and slot home a 20 yard screamer every game.

Football is just as much about what you do without the ball, individually than with the ball. That's when the team is in and out of possession, the areas you cover and the runs you make.

The majority of folk won't be able to see this over the course of 90 minutes, but our analysis team will. And so far, collectively the results speak for themselves.

Aribo is doing just fine. Give the players a break.

Steven Gerrard said even 2 weeks ago he still couldn't believe we got him, you know? One of the best midfielders of his generation.

Think ill take his opinion on the quality of Aribo over some of the utter sh*te we're seeing on here.
some would rather suggest Holt in this system because he runs around a lot.

The constant threads criticising our own players on FF are getting beyond a joke these days.

The mental thing about this is that we're enjoying our best season in the past 7 years right now, at the very moment these threads just keep popping up over and over again.

Has the same number of goals and one more assist than the apparent best midfielder in Scotland, McGregor. And in 900 less minutes.

Came off the bench and killed the game against Porto.

In the game yesterday, the reason Ryan Jack had the run of the park is because Aribo and Kamara occupied their two midfielders.

Borna, Glen, Shey, Scott now Joe.

Some fans will only be happy with 100% success from every player in every match.

The constant threads criticising our own players on FF are getting beyond a joke these days.

The mental thing about this is that we're enjoying our best season in the past 7 years right now, at the very moment these threads just keep popping up over and over again.
Some of them genuinely don't deserve a good team to support.

Clueless w*nkers are cluless w*nkers whether we're winning or not.

He’s barely getting a run in the team and already people are wanting him binned. His close ball control is probably the best we have other than Kent, it’s just on pitches like yesterday’s he can’t control the ball anywhere near as much as you’d like, and on a number of occasions you seen him sprint to catch a ball and give up because of the surface. He will come good.

Anyone still wanting to get rid of Barasic?

You could reasonably criticise anyone bar the two Ryans yesterday but individually and collectively we won’t be brilliant every week

You could reasonably criticise anyone bar the two Ryans yesterday but individually and collectively we won’t be brilliant every week

This isn't aimed at you, just your general point and what you have said re it being reasonable to be critical etc,that sort of is the problem with a few on here though, it has become an echo chamber of a need, want, desire and lust to be critical to the point it isn't actually interesting to read - some on here have taken it as accepted this forum is a platform to be a lady's front bottom about Rangers players and simply do that and little else almost through a default reaction.

A job done, routine game at Hamilton yet still, still you get the same collective of twats who are on this place as quick as their wee virgin paws will let them "critiquing" players.

The really dross thing about it though is, it's rarely fascinating or interesting.

A cracking chat about football when you read something about a player, a thing they do a behavior is great, a thing you haven't noticed etc.

"Aribo what does he dae"

I mean, where the %^*& do you even go with that, imagine that as a patter starter in the boozer.... the awkward nods of aye mate, a couple of forced laughs before everyone gets back to normal chat...

mental.

Last edited:
Threads like this are probably why we can't give youth a chance at Rangers, Any young player coming thru the ranks would be getting slaughtered after 1 game

Imo he needs to have the shackles taken off of him (if he has been given a specific instruction) , he sits deep and plays the easy pass too often, I wanna see him burst forward and take men on more often

Firstly - there’s threads already on this

Secondly - you can surely construct an argument better than the original post.
It's our market. By rough diamonds. Polish them up, turn them into winners.
After 2 years I don't see what it is folk don't get?
Pogba. Took over a year to look like a footballer at Man Utd and they are still struggling.
What we expecting from kids plucked from English 3rd division.

I think hes going to be a fantastic player for us! He's had a pretty decent start, it's a big step up for a young player! Done fine so far

There's another thread on here,with folk questioning Defoe's contribution
I called that on the match thread.

Ryan Jack gets time and space in the box to score and space to have 5 other shots.
Kent scores as the 18 yard line opens up for him.
It amazes me people can't link this and understand that Defoe plays a major part in this without touching the ball.
So does Arfield, although I'll be first to say he didn't have his best game.

I've highlighted this about Aribo a lot now. A player with ability but possibly just not suited to our style and the league we are in.

Maybe like Borna he can settle but I was under the impression he was a technically gifted midfielder who can a) chip in with goals b) be the engine in midfield.

Certainly hides a lot, gutted looked a gem at the start, he's still young so believe once he gets to grips of the size of the club and the demand of winning he will come good.

As mentioned above, Aribo is a player who thrives in space and opposition tactics (i.e parking the bus) will negate a key part of his game if played well. I believe though that it's more a case of our formation not suiting his natural game as opposed to him being played out of position.
At Charlton, Aribo played 9 times out of 10 on the left of a midfield diamond behind a front two. As such, he was largely allowed to dictate what went on in the left forward areas. A heatmap on Gernet shows this. Usually, he was the furthest forward player on the left in their team and as they played much narrower than Rangers, he often cut in and attacked centrally. If anything, he played wide left more than head of the diamond or no.10 and was the key attacking player in that left area.
With Nigeria, he's actually been deployed in a much further back, central role. That said, he appears to have taken it upon himself in his Nigeria games to play as a box to box midfielder, outshining Iwobi at No.10, so much so that Nigerian fans want him to play in a more advanced, central role, behind the striker. Again though, Nigeria play a much narrower game than Rangers.
With us, it's all about the width...save Jack of late, our midfield plan seems to be....get it wide at every opportunity. Rangers play with two advanced wide men and two very attacking fullbacks so the flanks are often overloaded. Aribo never experienced this at Charlton nor with Nigeria as neither play(ed) with real width with the midfield being largely instructed to get it wide. So you get Aribo on the left with Kent advanced and often also Barasic so he drops off. He can't charge into the box as he would no doubt like as he's often left defending the entire left flank - see Hamilton's breakaways for example with Barasic, Kent caught upfield.
Gerrard seems settled on his formation so where Aribo fits in is a bit of a mystery. He was tried wide left vs Celtic to drastic effect (hideous formation all-round that day to be fair) and that's Kent's position now. Jack is firmly the box to box midfielder of the team now and both Davis then Kamara seem more favoured in the anchor role. Kamara it seems is also better playing left of Jack with Davis behind in a midfield three. It would appear Aribo might be best suited just behind the striker but we're rarely going to play that way, preferring width with one up top.
Aribo is a talent no doubt but we're not going to see the best of him unless we change formation, lose Kamara and he ups his standard, mix up our game more (signs of Gerrard trying this) or play against an open, attacking opposition where he will shine.

P.S He also got his head ripped open, needing 20 stitches by a typical "Welcome to Scottish Football", no yellow card numbskull and he's our player, not a loan so let's give the young guy a chance!

Joe has shown enough to suggest that with the help of the management team he can make a similar improvement and impact as Ryan, Alfie and Borna. Yes he’s inconsistent but he’s young and playing at a club way bigger than he’s used to. It takes most young players time to adjust.

i realise its a discussion forum and it's all about opinions, but surely to f*ck we can't stop criticising our own and look more at the bigger picture as in where we are as a team even from 12 months ago, we're stronger, faster, more resilient & clinical all round, but people still want to criticise someone who doesn't make 100 passes per game or score a hat-trick of 30yd screamers, if you can't take objective view at our team then you need to have a word with yourself, either that or you're one o them honkin up this board

He gives us absolutely nothing in that midfield 3 he needs pushed up, unfortunately we have a lot of riches in that left of the front 3 position.

Back