Aribo

Folk wouldn’t have him back realise that players likre Scott Wright and James Sands still feature for us.

And the never done it against Celtic? I can remember him ending Laxalt carrer in 1 1st half performance.

Aribo lost interest towards the end of his time here, he wanted a fresh challenge.

No point having players who have lost interest.

It's a career for players, 99% arent thinking as fans
They want to win trophies yes, but they need to make as much money as possible too in a short career
I don't agree, they only have a short career to make money. They can get plenty of other jobs or investments to make money after they stop playing football.

I didnt say it as a positive thing, id rather keep the players that are playing well for us, but its the truth
No more on the nobody bar Gio or Gattuso has ever really hit the top after leaving us. It implies that our players have never been that good.

I don't agree, they only have a short career to make money. They can get plenty of other jobs or investments to make money after they stop playing football.
Aye of course
But like many of us in careers if you get offered to double your wage you are off

Clearly not hitting it off at Southampton.

Wasnt in the 18 for the Carabao Semi on Tuesday.

New manager may not fancy him !
More worrying is we have bonuses and sell on percentage attached to the deal.

I said on here at the time that negotiating £6m upfront rather than £10m in full was a dangerous move given £4m is dependent on bonuses / targets being hit.

Of course those of us that had concerns over that were rounded on and shouted down

More worrying is we have bonuses and sell on percentage attached to the deal.

I said on here at the time that negotiating £6m upfront rather than £10m in full was a dangerous move given £4m is dependent on bonuses / targets being hit.

Of course those of us that had concerns over that were rounded on and shouted down
Clearly 10m in full wasn't ever on the table.

even if doesnt work now hes back down there he will get a move for 3-4mil and better wages than us anyway

Joe must be sitting thinking wtf have I done leaving the famous, European nights, to sit on the bench.

He’s been found out and was vastly over-rated by lots of posters on here. His stats for goals and assists were piss poor for an attacking midfielder playing for us and he was posted missing in all bar one old firm game he played.

The championship or league one is more his level.

He’s been found out and was vastly over-rated by lots of posters on here. His stats for goals and assists were piss poor for an attacking midfielder playing for us and he was posted missing in all bar one old firm game he played.

you looking for bites ??

Had skill and I liked him but he could go missing often in games. Was excellent the first half of last season (his best spell). Going to the African championships changed all that. He came back and was largely poor.

Had skill and I liked him but he could go missing often in games. Was excellent the first half of last season (his best spell). Going to the African championships changed all that. He came back and was largely poor.

Think he was burned out. Same for a few of our players, starting in the early qualifiers for 3-4 years, and going right thru to end May. They hardly got a break.

No more on the nobody bar Gio or Gattuso has ever really hit the top after leaving us. It implies that our players have never been that good.
That’s a whole other thread!

Before the football world became a billionaire business and we decided to NOT follow that route by ditching sky for no tv at all to setanta we were fucked forever.

Prior to that we signed players who were in their prime - the Dutch 98 World Cup squad, norways top man Flo, Gazza, Boli, Reyna, De Boer but back then we would compete with trying to get the likes of Vialli, Davids, the real Ronaldo etc

Now we shop in a very different market, As much as it pains me to say that big prick Van Dike will be the last who come out of the SPL who go on and win champions leagues.

It’s all Scotlands own doing though

I don’t think that’s clear at all.

End of the day, his release clause was £10m.

To only get £6m for a player off the back of reaching a EL final and scoring in it was poor
It is clear. It couldn't be clearer. If there was 10m on offer then the deal would have been 10m, not 6.

The release clause is irrelevant.

I was dissapointed with the fee too but, going by reports, it was only Southampton interested at the time we wanted to sell and the player had a year left on his contract. There's not a lot you can do with that hand.

It is clear. It couldn't be clearer. If there was 10m on offer then the deal would have been 10m, not 6.

The release clause is irrelevant.

I was dissapointed with the fee too but, going by reports, it was only Southampton interested at the time we wanted to sell and the player had a year left on his contract. There's not a lot you can do with that hand.
Why didn’t we just drop down to transfer list and click offer to clubs, and wait for the offers to roll in just like football manager?

Cheeky loan bid for the rest of the season?
I don’t know if we have space for him in the squad with Kent, Cantwell, Tillman and Lawrence due to return all who operate in those advanced midfield positions.

There’s an argument that Aribo is better than all of them, but they are our players now and it’d be damaging to leave Cantwell on the bench or drop Tillman when we’re trying to sign him to play a loanee for 5 months.

Bassey vastly overrated. Aribo Championship or League One level. It's a wonder how we got to the Europa League final with so many rubbish players, eh?

That last line is hysterical given some of the dross who are coping fairly well in the EPL this season. Player in not fancied under new manager shock.

I personally don’t think we’re missing a whole lot that Tillman hasn’t offered tbh.
Joe was more consistent but he was also more experienced and a wee bit older. However he’s gone pity he didn’t stay but that’s modern sport.

Joe must be sitting thinking wtf have I done leaving the famous, European nights, to sit on the bench.
Indeed! And it has to be said that Big Joe along with others like our manager StevieG, Bassey, Patterson etc are finding a trend that the grass is NOT always greener and there are really few things better than playing for the Famous Glasgow Rangers.

Current players would do well to realize that (Yes you Alfie)

[I will say that Bassey and Patterson may not have really wanted to leave and that I understand it’s business that we need to make]

I wish him all the best but tbh I’m happy with Tillman now. He’s much more of a goal threat and if he keeps improving could make us a lot of money in the future.

We are overloaded in that forward mid position ( unless we punt Lowry on loan or Hagi on transfer). The suggestions that Joe offered less than Tillman are off the mark for me. He scored a few goals plus he was miles better helping defend corners and set pieces, something we continue to be very poor at doing.

I don't even think he made the bench in the last few games. The new manager looks to have a dislike for him, plus he is battening down the hatches in the relegation fight and doesn't see Joe playing a role in that.

We have really missed the physicality of the likes of Aribo and Bassey. Had a good spell with us but we have moved on. Will never forget his goal in the final though.

Does any other clubs fans have the same obsession with bringing guys back as us?
Absolutely chronic. Same as the folk who cannot compute the idea of selling a first team player.

Aribo overall was a good signing but he was wildly inconsistent, and inconsistent within games too. He'd typically be rubbish first half, brilliant for 15 minutes after restart, then rubbish again for the last half an hour. I found him a very frustrating player who didn't ever really fulfill his potential with us.

I wouldn't entertain taking him back. Tillman is far more effective player for us.

Back