Arsenal - The Struggle Continues...

TibbsyBear

Arsène Wenger insists he will honour contract and stay at Arsenal

• Arsenal manager surprised at reaction to Carabao Cup final defeat
• Wenger has one year left on his contract but faces summer review

720.jpg

Arsène Wenger has made it clear he has no intention of walking away from his Arsenal contract at the end of the season. The manager is under renewed pressure following Sunday’s 3-0 defeat to Manchester City in the Carabao Cup final and morale in the dressing room is at a low ebb.

The players held a meeting after Tuesday’s training session – the first one after the Wembley debacle – in which senior members of the squad voiced their frustrations and urged everyone to pull together. They host City in the Premier League at the Emirates Stadium on Thursday night.

Wenger has long been the focal point for supporter angst and the single biggest issue at the club now concerns whether he will continue into next season and so fulfil his two-year deal. The Frenchman, 68, is both annoyed and exasperated at the very question. He has never failed to honour a managerial contract in his long career and he has no plans to break the habit.

Wenger accepted he remained an employee of the club’s majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, and he could only do so much to control his destiny. But the inference from him was he would leave only if Kroenke were to sack him.

“I have been here for 21 years and I always respected my contract, so I am quite amazed that you ask me the question,” Wenger said. “In life, I look at what people do, not at what they say. What I did in my life was that [honour contracts], so I am quite amazed that you ask me the question.

“If you want me not to be here, that’s a different problem. You ask me [about] my commitment and my attitude is dictated by what I did in my life, not by what I say in a press conference.

“In life, you focus on the quality of your job. How well you commit, how hard you work and you try to master what you can master. What is above you … You will not decide your future in your newspapers and I am exactly like you. I am an employee and I give my best for my club that I love.”

Wenger brought up the jobs he had turned down during his Arsenal tenure to reinforce his loyalty and commitment. He has previously indicated he said no to Real Madrid and Paris St-Germain, among others. “I turned the whole world down to respect my contracts,” Wenger said. “So I am still amazed that I still have to answer these types of questions.”

He faces an in-house review at the end of the season and the club has an eye on replacements should it be decided he has to go. His best chance of salvaging the season – and Champions League qualification – would appear to lie in the Europa League, where Arsenal play Milan in the last 16. They are 27 points behind the league leaders, City, and 10 behind the division’s fourth-placed team, Tottenham.

“My position is my position,” Wenger said, brushing aside the question of the end-of-season review. “Honestly, that’s the last worry I have at the moment. My worry is to focus, to get the team ready for tomorrow’s game. I don’t ask you if your position is reviewed at the end of the season.

“Does it stop you to sleep that my position is uncertain or would not be certain or is certain? No. What is interesting in football is the performances of football, the game you will see on Thursday night. All the rest may make headlines but it is not really interesting.”

For the umpteenth time, Wenger called for perspective after a damaging defeat. He reminded his audience Arsenal had not lost to a team at “the bottom of the league in division five”, rather one that was dominating English football. It was plain he felt the reaction was overblown.

“I am quite amazed it is such an earthquake that we have lost a final,” Wenger said. “It means we have got our fans used to going to Wembley and winning. But nobody can guarantee that.”

Wenger stood his ground in the face of the criticism, which was led by Gary Neville on Sky Sports, who described Arsenal as “spineless” and questioned why some of their players were walking and not tracking back.

“You find in every single game, on both sides, moments where a player doesn’t track,” Wenger said. “You have to analyse why. Has he made two runs before to go in behind and was exhausted, or did he not track because he didn’t want to? Of course, the players gave me everything.”

Matter of time for Wenger the media have been out to get him for years now he's not done well enough at Arsenal but still think the media lack respect for the way they have treated him.

Clearly the board have kept him on because Wenger has become a bit of a patsy.

The board don’t want someone to go in and challenge them to put Arsenal in a position to compete.

Arsenal are a shambles

Wenger should have went 5 years ago

Simonie would be my choice he would totally change the team overnight

3 titles in 22 years is an absolute disgrace for a club of Arsenal’s size. Especially when you consider it was a 2 horse race with Utd for donkeys years.

His frugality and FA Cup wins have kept him in a job in my opinion.

I feel for the fans a bit. They’ve become a bit of a joke club.

Aside from Wenger, who should have gone a long time ago, I wonder how many of the current players will remain and how many new players are actually needed to mount a challenge
Keeper, 1 cb, LB, CDM definitly needed at least, possibly LW and RW too

I think Wenger is going a bit senile.

Some of his recent comments are mind boggling.

You might be right, but i think hes only one of a very few managers that could turn that club around without doing what man utd did when fergie left

Agreed mate, him possibly Sarri and Simeone. Allegri is decent but still doesn’t speak English, not sure Simeone does at any decent level either.

The club is designed from top to bottom to make money for Kroenke to support his other business as a mortgageable asset, as long as he is there it won’t change.

Kroenke and the board understand money, the fans have to stop buying merchandise/season tickets to get a change at the top

The problem there though is they have so many part time foreign fans that their stadium will always be full and there will always be a high demand for merchandise.

The foreign fans don’t care about Kroenke.

He’s kinda like an old relative that tells you he doesn’t need to go into a home but when you visit he’s sitting caked in pish watching the microwave because he thinks it’s the telly.

Sometimes decisions need to be taken for people.

The only reason they’re keeping him on IMO is because they want a yes man who will tow the board’s line.

If that is the case then there’s many troubling years ahead for Arsenal regardless of who is in charge.

Arsenal are a shambles

Don’t think they’d want a defensive coach in an ideal world. But tell you what, Simeone would transform them from a team of passive shitebags to a team of well organised warriors that will scrap for absolutely everything, and who will also play dirty to win if they have to.

Agreed mate, him possibly Sarri and Simeone. Allegri is decent but still doesn’t speak English, not sure Simeone does at any decent level either.

The club is designed from top to bottom to make money for Kroenke to support his other business as a mortgageable asset, as long as he is there it won’t change.
Yeah i allways thought wenger was a buisness manager first before a football manager. As long as the club was making money the bosses were happy. They have no emotional connection with football or "soccer"..

Very sad.

He has given us all some of the most superlative football played in these isles. He, for a spell, turned the North London derby into a non event. He's oversaw the building of the Emirates and the debt that went with it, and has the club (as far as I know) now in profit.

I reckon it will need a decade or so after he goes, when anger/issues have settled down that people, especially gooners, will finally realise what he actually did for their club overall.

It's easy to talk about these things when you don't give a toss.

I don't know why, but for some reason I just can't shake the feeling Simeone wouldn't be a good fit for them.

Conte, Sarri or Allegri would be who I was looking at.

3 titles in 22 years is an absolute disgrace for a club of Arsenal’s size. Especially when you consider it was a 2 horse race with Utd for donkeys years.

His frugality and FA Cup wins have kept him in a job in my opinion.

I feel for the fans a bit. They’ve become a bit of a joke club.
Says a lot for Liverpool and Spurs then, none combined over that period.

Says a lot for Liverpool and Spurs then, none combined over that period.

Completely agree.

The difference with Liverpool and Spurs is they have both tried to make changes with different managers, different styles and different approaches.

Arsenal have kept the same guy in charge whilst knowing for a very long time that it’s clearly not working.

If I was an Arsenal fan I would absolutely f*cking hate him by now.

But I'm not, so I find it quite funny.

He’s kinda like an old relative that tells you he doesn’t need to go into a home but when you visit he’s sitting caked in pish watching the microwave because he thinks it’s the telly.

Absolutely. He was past his sell-by date as a manager about 5 years ago. Clearly it is the relatively small spend while generating CL revenue and Sky cash for high placing that has kept them there.

More than a wee bit harsh.

More than a wee bit harsh.

I see your point but there’s not really any room for sentiment anymore.

Arsenal’s board are fully ripping the piss of supporters who are paying good money to the club that is not being reinvested.

Outstayed his welcome...as another poster said..should have went 3 years ago

Right, we all see the summer and winter transfer Windows over the last 6 seasons say and Wenger has totally disregarded his buying to strengthen Arsenals defence.

He's spunked millions on strikers and midfielder mustafi yet their fans, as have fans of other clubs seen where the Arsenal problems lay.

Adrian Durham has a near daily slot ridiculing them about their defence problems also and he disnae miss his points on Wenger.

I like to see Arsenal do well as they have historical ties with us.

Neither here nor there with them regardless of historical ties....Wenger should have walked long ago imo

can't have an Arsenal thread without this sort of thing, although despite the fact it's characters (especially Ty who is quite obviously a plant) I do feel sorry for them because they spend so much money on a club they love and get nothing out of it

great line about the City fans at 30 seconds as well :D

can't have an Arsenal thread without this sort of thing, although despite the fact it's characters (especially Ty who is quite obviously a plant) I do feel sorry for them because they spend so much money on a club they love and get nothing out of it

great line about the City fans at 30 seconds as well :D
Saw the Bangladesh Loyal was out in force tonight.Where were all the locals?o_O

Arsenal are a shambles

It’s easy to say that but look at Liverpool. They are a bigger club than Arsenal and haven’t won the title for far longer.

The owners at Chelsea and City have changed the landscape. It’s no longer a case of beating your natural rivals and you will win the league. These are owners that will spend whatever it takes of their own (or their country’s) money to try and make the club successful.

All the big clubs have rich owners but there is a very big difference in terms of how the clubs are run and financed.

Since Abramovich came along, only the 2 oil clubs and Man Utd, who are a massive commercial operation, have won the title, other than Leicester, which is a once in a generation thing. They won it with very few injuries, no European distraction and a unique season where all the big clubs hugely underperformed and everything came together.

It’s hard to say that Arsenal should have won the title based on their match day revenues when you have the owners of Man City spending what they have, money that dwarfs ST money.

Wenger should have been closer more often and they have regularly been shown up against the big sides. He is stubborn, similar in a way to Klopp, wanting to buy players who are under the radar and develop them while your rivals are spending £200m plus a season. I don’t know how much of it is his desire not to spend money and how much is Kroenke not providing the resources but you have to factor in the resources of their rivals’ owners.

Maybe Wenger’s just a money whore and wants to make as much as he can.

I’m genuinely running out of reasons as to why he’s still employed.

I think Arsenal and their fans need to now accept that their ship has sailed.

Bar a few seasons when they were winning the league, they’ll never get back to that stage for the forseeable future.

Wenger should have been sacked in 2011 and they are paying the price now. But it makes me laugh at these fans in the video above thinking that they have the right to be challenging. Never going to happen for decades.

I think Arsenal and their fans need to now accept that their ship has sailed.

Bar a few seasons when they were winning the league, they’ll never get back to that stage for the forseeable future.

Wenger should have been sacked in 2011 and they are paying the price now. But it makes me laugh at these fans in the video above thinking that they have the right to be challenging. Never going to happen for decades.
I get where you are coming from but in football, you can never say never. 25 years ago you wouldn’t have said Liverpool would go as long without a title, 15 years ago Chelsea had won 1 title and had a pile of debt that almost crippled them, 10 years ago City were a yo-yo club who wouldn’t stand a chance of the title, 5 years ago Leicester would have been a million to one shot.

It probably takes a change of owner at Arsenal but Kroenke is all about the money. Arsenal could easily get City-esque owners. Otherwise, you may well be right.

Back