Arsene Wenger's proposed changes to the offside rule

ClockworkOrange

In his role at FIFA Wenger has been involved in conversations about changing the offside rule. He's proposing a form of the "daylight" rule, suggesting:

"you will not be offside if any part of the body that can score a goal is in line with the last defender - even if other parts of the attacker's body are in front."

Perhaps I'm interpreting this wrongly, but would this not present the scenario whereby an attacking player could be back to front with a defending player, facing the goal in which he's trying to score, and as long as his foot is behind or in line, he's not offside?

Ridiculous idea , for the exact reason you said. Just Don’t see the reason to change the rule , they brought in VAR to get offside calls correct , and whether it’s 10 yards or 1 inch off , it’s still offside.

Ridiculous idea , for the exact reason you said. Just Don’t see the reason to change the rule , they brought in VAR to get offside calls correct , and whether it’s 10 yards or 1 inch off , it’s still offside.
Absolute shite, last night we saw a goal disallowed because a players big toe was offside. This does not encourage attacking football. The benefit of the doubt should always be with the attacking team.

Offside rule is frustrating. There’s not a perfect fix.

I’d just abolish the lines and let the VAR use common sense. You can tell if someone is “level” even if they are technically offside by mm.

And you can tell if someone is offside even if a small part of their overall figure is level with the defender.

It was always benefit of the doubt to the attacker.

How

How is it ridiculous? It easy to make this change as it is so simple: as long as any part of the attacker is onside the goal stands.
Easy to change and no more goals off by a bawhair.
I have been discussing this with my brothers for weeks. So simple to implement.

Absolute shite, last night we saw a goal disallowed because a players big toe was offside. This does not encourage attacking football. The benefit of the doubt should always be with the attacking team.

Granted it will probably lead to more goals, but changing the rules just moves the narrow margin by which someone can be given offside to somewhere else. Being offside by millimetres can still happen.

How

How is it ridiculous? It easy to make this change as it is so simple: as long as any part of the attacker is onside the goal stands.
It is a fair point.

With everything else in football if the ball is not completely over the touch line, by line etc it’s not a throw in or goal kick.

Same could apply to offside rule. The whole body has to be offside. It also encourages attacking football and would give us a major advantage domestically.

How

Arsene?

Granted it will probably lead to more goals, but changing the rules just moves the narrow margin by which someone can be given offside to somewhere else. Being offside by millimetres can still happen.

Exactly, essentially moving the goal posts for no reason is the way I'm seeing this.

This. Var then gets criticism for getting decisions right/wrong at the other side of the attacker as it's only a few mm on/off. Still slows the game up which seems to be one of the big drawbacks.

Would be interesting to see how that would change the game but don't expect it to eliminate VAR controversy.

In his role at FIFA Wenger has been involved in conversations about changing the offside rule. He's proposing a form of the "daylight" rule, suggesting:

"you will not be offside if any part of the body that can score a goal is in line with the last defender - even if other parts of the attacker's body are in front."

Perhaps I'm interpreting this wrongly, but would this not present the scenario whereby an attacking player could be back to front with a defending player, facing the goal in which he's trying to score, and as long as his foot is behind or in line, he's not offside?

Not sure how linesmen are meant to be able to judge this given the pace of the game these days.

They brought in the offside rule to stop players poaching and standing on the penalty spot waiting for the ball' not for a player to be 1 inch offside

How

The more I've considered it the more bonkers it is.

It essentially moves the fine margins from being offside to the fine margins of being onside.

In the process it STOPS high line defending and in turn leads to a more defensive game.

It's much, much worse than what we have now.

I think if they're going to use technology then they should go slightly further, in competition with VAR the clubs should have a small device sewn into the middle of their jerseys so a monitor always knows who is the furthest up the pitch. No more big toes onside or Luis Suarez big teeth offside

just f-ucking leave it alone man! they have f-ucked it enough as it is and now literally no c-unt knows whats what. here arsene winger heres is what to do. go back to 1985 when offside was offside. none of this not interfering with play shit. or my cock is smaller than his so he was playing me on. offside is offside so change it back to that. then we all know where we stand and we can all be happy. modern football...shite.

Lot of nonsense. What about the art of defending? When are they going to get credit for doing their job instead of always trying to give an advantage to attackers? Where's the fairness?

A couple of things: If VAR is in use, there are always going to be baw hair decisions and people angry about the “injustice” of such fine margins. But, if we based the offside call on the relative positions of the players’ torsos, rather than their arms/feet/knees, I think a lot more decisions would at least seem reasonable. It would take things back to a more common sense interpretation.

I thought VAR was only supposed to be used if it was a clear and obvious mistake.
Being offside by mm is not clear & obvious.

Clear and obvious doesn’t apply to offside as it’s a factual decision, you are either offside or you aren’t.

Personally I think it’s an excellent idea. Football is about entertainment and this will lead to more goals. Not to the point where we have games ending 9-7, that just won’t happen.

If the rule states you are onside unless there is daylight between any part of the defender and attacker, they will actually be able to implement tech that indicates to the referee without the need for a video ref (similar to GLT)
This would be simple and unarguable. No questions over playable parts of the body, armpits or any of that nonsense. If there is so much as a ball hairs gap between any part of you and the defender, you are offside. Anything else, play on!

Offside rule is frustrating. There’s not a perfect fix.

I’d just abolish the lines and let the VAR use common sense. You can tell if someone is “level” even if they are technically offside by mm.

And you can tell if someone is offside even if a small part of their overall figure is level with the defender.

It was always benefit of the doubt to the attacker.
Good idea. Also if we are talking millimetres and you are off it will also depend on the correct precise moment of the VAR ref pausing the footage would it not.

Lot of nonsense. What about the art of defending? When are they going to get credit for doing their job instead of always trying to give an advantage to attackers? Where's the fairness?
The “art” stays the same. Defenders just simply have to be sharper in playing the trap at higher levels because the judgement at lower level (without the aid of tech) and in games with no linesmen won’t be any different IMO,

Arsene wants to bring in rules to make it harder for teams to defend and harder for referees and linesmen to do their jobs. This type of change is changing the nature of football and not in a positive way from my perspective. Defending, good defending is an important part of football that is becoming a rare art. For years the authorities have messed around with the offside rule without benefit and usually blurring understanding and therefore application. Off should mean off. We are now debating if being a wee bit off is OK and how much of a wee bit is OK. Goals in football are great but should be earned. There is no reason to make it easier to score.

They should just change the rule to if they need to draw lines on var then it's not offside it would solve the problem. If you can't tell with the eye then the striker is given the benefit of the doubt

It does make sense, but again there would still be contentious decisions being made.
VAR does kind of make the linesmans role a but redundant, why bother flagging for offside if there is going to be a review anyway. Surely it would be better to have a challenge type system so the captain of the team needs to decide when to challenge the decision or not. Would keep the game flowing a bit more.

Interesting. My own proposal would be no offside when the ball is in the box. The games orientates too much towards defenders and goalkeepers having the benefit of the doubt, but people watch football to see goals. Anything that encourages goals in an even way should be encouraged.

How

It’s just moving the bawhair. It doesn’t really make any difference

I think it’s a decent idea.

I understand it’s just moving the parameters but I feel that having a big toe 1mm off side is shite.

if you’re whole entire body is 1mm offside then I would deem that fair that you are completely offside.

Interesting. My own proposal would be no offside when the ball is in the box. The games orientates too much towards defenders and goalkeepers having the benefit of the doubt, but people watch football to see goals. Anything that encourages goals in an even way should be encouraged.
I’d go one further-have no offside at all. Would naturally stretch the game allowing more space on the park for teams to use.

I think they should use much wider lines to judge offside. Do it in the same way as they currently do but the thicker lines will give a margin that people would be happier with and there would be more goals and much quicker decisions.

I actually think they should scrap Var but that’s not happening so this is instead.

How

So the attacker can stand behind the defender out stretch one of his legs to stay onside, it would be a farce and no defender can play offside against that. The rule is fine , it’s the way VAR is implemented and the delay that causes The Issues , but its making the right decisions when it comes to offside.

Back