Atletico Madrid refuse guard of honour to Real

Get the guard or honour in the bin. It’s a pile of shite.

If any players bizarrely feel the need to congratulate opposition players on winning a trophy then let them do it away from the pitch rather than the big daft public display.

I think it is a shame that people just can’t operate this sort of thing in a way that actually shows really good sportsmanship.
It is great for the winning team to treat it respectfully and not as a ‘we are going to try and made you do it as a get it up you’ and also for the other team to be sporting and show respect to champions. But we seem to have gone a long way past mutual respect in football these days.

Quite right*

*I'll be expecting one at every ground we visit in Scotland next season if we win the Europa League.
Definitely.
Actually, Hearts could absolutely cause a massive wave of heart attacks amongst the Septic support by doing it at the cup final.

Did Alex Ferguson start this? Guard of honour for Chelsea at OT fully expecting to beat them & let them know they were still there?
Memory fails me nowadays.
It’s a load of rubbish anyway.

No problem with teams not wanting to salute their rivals - of course, it shows good sportsmanship but shouldn't be mandatory

It’s a nice thing to do if it is spontaneous, or done to mark a significant achievement (first title in a decade, an unexpected European trophy etc).

The moment that it became expected/mandated that clubs would get this Guard of Honour then it became a nonsense.

Did Alex Ferguson start this? Guard of honour for Chelsea at OT fully expecting to beat them & let them know they were still there?
Memory fails me nowadays.
It’s a load of rubbish anyway.
I think Ferguson used it as a way of hitting home to his own players that they had lost the title and it was meant to spur them on for the next season through a bit of light humiliation.

I’m sure it was described as being a much more positive and respectful gesture towards Chelsea but the core reason behind it was more internally focussed.

Good. It’s a thing that physiologically says you are inferior if you do it. Shake their hand after the match yes, until the final whistle, no respect shall be given and same shall be expected in return.

Good, no way should you be giving your city rivals this load of shegite. Wish people would stop trying to sterilise the game.
Would rather they had to run a gauntlet. Guard of honour? For people you detest. Not for me.

Journalists are getting more cretinous by the day.

Im not a fan of them but didnt have a big issue with them until Hearts were asking for about 10 of them after winning the Championship. Next game, next home game, the game at Ibrox, last game of the season, first game the following season.

Fck off. If you want to sign up for it then you get 1 and it should either be the game after you win it or the day you do the flag raising.

I think it is a shame that people just can’t operate this sort of thing in a way that actually shows really good sportsmanship.
It is great for the winning team to treat it respectfully and not as a ‘we are going to try and made you do it as a get it up you’ and also for the other team to be sporting and show respect to champions. But we seem to have gone a long way past mutual respect in football these days.
Why be false, though? If you don't have mutual respect then just admit it.

Why be false, though? If you don't have mutual respect then just admit it.
I agree, if it isn’t genuine, it shouldn’t happen, and it shouldn’t be forced to happen.
It’s a shame that something that shows good sportsmanship is disappearing from the game and that it has become such an issue. I genuinely used to think it was just us and them that had this kind of thing going on, almost glad it is wider.

I think Ferguson used it as a way of hitting home to his own players that they had lost the title and it was meant to spur them on for the next season through a bit of light humiliation.

I’m sure it was described as being a much more positive and respectful gesture towards Chelsea but the core reason behind it was more internally focussed.
You surprise me.

Back