Balogun And Goldson First-choice CB Pairing?

SouthsideBlue

Official Ticketer
He looks battle hardened and streetwise. I think he could be the leader at the back instead of Goldman, which will improve Goldson...

KGR98

I hope not. Helander is good for certain games but his lack of pace is an issue. As soon as he came on against Motherwell he got done and we were lucky not to concede.
I get where you are coming from but he is just back from Injury and needs games under his belt to get back to his best few bounce games and he'll be ready imo

ChildOfGod

Really like the look of Balogun so far.

If he’s naturally left footed, we might have our first choice CB pairing on today.

I’m not massively convinced by Helander. I know people who really rate him, but I always preferred Katić.
He isn’t left sided that much was clear but he is considered and patient on the ball . I’d like to see more of his passing and in pressure games but decent start .

Wasn’t sure how good he was aerially we will see through time but the improvement in pace was very useful midway through 2H when CG got a little marooned up the pitch and they were swiftly behind Leon seen it and sharply intervened . A good passage of play by him .

One key point , we never threatened Aberdeen at corners , high ball free kicks today did we ?

Last edited:

ChildOfGod

Looks good so far.Balogun was at the heart of the Wigan defence when they had a good run at the end of the Championship
What interests me is he partnered a very physical CD at Wigan , Cedric Kipre , and I’m guessing he played on lhs and dealt with anything that went behind / beyond him allowing Kipre to be attacking the ball .

Makes me think swap Katic for Kipre and you could have similar combination .

But patience , it’s only one relatively easy game so far let’s see how we are with more evidence come Christmas

Valley Bluenose

Where's all the folk who were telling us Balogun was crap in the air? No Cosgrove for the Sheep today but, regardless, Leon looked competent enough in that department to me. And miles better than anyone else we have at Ibrox for bringing the ball out of defence. That could be a very handy attribute for us this season.

An excellent performance from Goldson today as well.

Paisleybear30

I don’t know how much better Goldson can get.He is outstanding already.
I like Goldson but I'd like him to be a bit more physical. He doesnt always compete well when clearing headers, a few times last season when Naismith had the better of him for example. He's a big guy so would like him to be a bit more dominant and not let guys back into him or let the ball bounce

ChildOfGod

Where's all the folk who were telling us Balogun was crap in the air? No Cosgrove for the Sheep today but, regardless, Leon looked competent enough in that department to me. And miles better than anyone else we have at Ibrox for bringing the ball out of defence. That could be a very handy attribute for us this season.

An excellent performance from Goldson today as well.
Haven’t seen that being said but it’s something that is an open question still imo .

Polar bear

I like Goldson but I'd like him to be a bit more physical. He doesnt always compete well when clearing headers, a few times last season when Naismith had the better of him for example. He's a big guy so would like him to be a bit more dominant and not let guys back into him or let the ball bounce
Naisy has excellent bounce,timing and determination for a smaller guy,just like wee Barry had.Always won his fair share of headers against bigger opponents.;)

Arkanoid

I had concerns with the pace of their front 3 when the sides were named and George was omitted. Boy did he show some pace to snuff out that chance in the 2nd half. I'm all for a settled back 4 but there is now the choice of mix and matching with Conor, i.e Helander v.s Dykes/Livi

Salsabear

Really like the look of Balogun so far.

If he’s naturally left footed, we might have our first choice CB pairing on today.

I’m not massively convinced by Helander. I know people who really rate him, but I always preferred Katić.
No chance.

Gerrard spent a fair whack on Helander and will throw him back in (righty or wrongly) as soon as he’s up to speed.

CumbrianBear

Has potential to be the best CB at the club. And even after one game I can tell I’d feel much more comfortable with him at the back than Helander. There’s an awkwardness to Helander than just leaves me feeling unsure about him. Edmundson is quality but still learning. Saying that i am very happy with the 4 CB’s we have got for this season

BattleFeverOn

Can we not sign another balogun instead. Guy headers the post n gets on with it wee lewis shoulders goldson and hes acting like a train hit him. Was a wee bit embarrassing