Balogun at full time

We really should have spent the money and got Souter rather than spending what little money we had on sands who’s nowhere near first team quality, dialo who’s basically a youth team player and worst of the lot Ramsay who’s played just over 90 mins since he signed.
It wasn't a question of money but rather Hearts insistence on a sell-on clause that scuppered any deal.

When? He was on the bench in the Euros, as some no mark from China played.

I like Helander. But he has been here 3 years and played 33 games. If 3 years isn’t enough, when does “just yet” pass?

He was motm against Spain in September and is a very good defender but I agree that he just can’t be counted on to stay fit.

Doesn't Helander have 12 months left on his deal in the summer?

If so, he either signs a new one of we sell.

Most of the players will be running on empty, playing twice a week without a break. This is why we have a squad. If the squad isn't good enough it was the managers duty to go to Ross Wilson and tell him and Wilson's job to improve it. Both looked to have dropped the ball monumentally

You're speaking about the same manager who won't use his subs, when it's obvious to every man and his dog that the likes of Arfield and others on the pitch are cream crackered.

You're speaking about the same manager who won't use his subs, when it's obvious to every man and his dog that the likes of Arfield and others on the pitch are cream crackered.
Yeah, was kind of my point mate

I do think it makes a world of difference having him or Helander next to Goldson, as opposed to Lundstram/Bassey. I think I'm right in saying we've not conceded a league goal with him on the park in 2022 so far.

3 years he’s been here and he’s averaged 11 league games a season. 11.

Goldson and Balogun out of contract. Simpson probably back to college. Katic doesn’t have a future here. And I’d also argue Helander needs moving on before seeing out the last 12 months of his deal on the treatment table.

We need 3 centre halves. In addition to Souttar.
And he`s suffered his only two serious injuries with us, crucial ligament/knee surgery and an ankle injury that came from a wild attack ... which didn`t end in a red card, as per usual.

We could have used Sands as CH again, or Lundstram. No idea what the case with Simpson and the coaching staff is, games like yesterday`s should be those we rest our better players - not least when we put a compact midfield in front of them.

Maybe Gio has another player in mind to try at centre half, seeing as he's tried 8 different players there this last month. Loves to tinker, apart from when it's removing under performing favourites.

If that's Balogun fecked again then it's all down to Gio, guy is just back from injury and the manager has him playing 90 minutes on a pitch like that last night!

Naturally it’s dependent upon the terms, but I would be fine with a new 1 year contract for Balogun. He’s excellent back-up, especially when we’re losing Goldson.

I’d also sell Helander.
We've got 5 senior centre backs on our books all with compelling cases that either the player or the club (or the fans) will want to move on but we can't realistically afford that level of turnover, either financially or without causing major disruption.

Balogun could be a decent candidate to stay, yes he has his injuries but he would be reasonably cheap and we know what we're getting from him so I can see him getting a new 1 year deal.

Helander's future probably depends on Goldson's, I think we'll only keep 1 of them.

Simpson and Katic should both be moved on.

Yes I am the same Ubik. The players we currently have are superior to Soutar.
If he stays fit, which is a massive if with him, I think he will be a useful signing.

I feel like we're lacking a centre back who really relishes a bit of a battle and I'm hoping Souttar will be that player. Considering nearly every team in the league plays a big ugly lump up front who will fight for every advantage we need someone to stand up to that. As good as other parts of their games are I don't think Goldson, Helander or Balogun are really like that.

Naturally it’s dependent upon the terms, but I would be fine with a new 1 year contract for Balogun. He’s excellent back-up, especially when we’re losing Goldson.

I’d also sell Helander.
Helander is a top defender but he just hasn’t played enough games.

I’d also sell Helander.
If Helander was the mythical FF Helander who is miles more effective than Goldson, Balogun and any other defender in the league, I’d absolutely keep him. Being miles better than the rest would be worth keeping even for only half a season of output.

The truth is that his level is roughly similar to Goldson and Balogun (albeit each bring different strengths and weaknesses, the overall contribution when fit is roughly if a similar level) with Goldson being the only one consistently available.

Yeah, Rangers wins are SO depressing aren't they.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No bother. Nowhere did I mention depressing in the entire post. Pissed off and depressed are 2 entirely different things. SO ....

Last edited:
Folk having a go at Gio for not playing him against Motherwell too.

He is quite clearly not fully fit.

I'm certain Gio would rather play Balogan at CB than Lundstram if he was able to.

I love him as a player but it's difficult to see how he merits an extension.

Would be punting him in the summer if we could recoup anywhere close to what we paid. The guy just isn't fit enough for us.

Would you take a player like Helander on a bosman - a Swedish international who you might get 31 games out of (that's how many he played last season) or you might only get 10-15. For me, I absolutely would. That's why I'd extend his contract.

I really like Balogun and hopefully he’s not out again for any length of time. We have one CB almost certainly leaving the club in the summer in Goldson, Balogun is out of contract also and he can’t be relied on to play regular games. Same goes for Helander from an injury perspective.
The centre of our defence needs an almost total rebuild in the summer in my opinion.

Back